Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

I think I’ve come to realise through my diving into wrestling that something I get really attached to is charisma or character work. Iinspiration and Maki Itoh spring to mind as wrestlers who don’t have the best in ring skills but have hilarious or compelling characters.

Are there other wrestlers like that whom I should be aware of?

Currently? I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're aware of who is on the AEW Roster, otherwise just go to the AEW roster page and look up most everyone on the undercard's body of work pre-AEW, especially dudes like Joey Janela, Pretty Peter, Colt Cabana, and Nakazawa.

Warhorse, Danhausen, Effy, Allie Katch, Nick Gage would also be some cool stuff to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

jimmydalad posted:

I think I’ve come to realise through my diving into wrestling that something I get really attached to is charisma or character work. Iinspiration and Maki Itoh spring to mind as wrestlers who don’t have the best in ring skills but have hilarious or compelling characters.

Orange Cassidy. His ppv match with PAC was very entertaining. I cannot recommend him fully, having not seen much of his work but Danhausen may fit what you seek.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jimmydalad posted:

Toru Yano, who spends every single minute of his matches trying to cheat as hard as humanly possible. Has wins over top people like Mox and Suzuki by dragging them down to his level and drowning them in his own delightful flavour of lowblows, tied shoelaces and exposed turnbukles.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TV Zombie posted:

Orange Cassidy. His ppv match with PAC was very entertaining. I cannot recommend him fully, having not seen much of his work but Danhausen may fit what you seek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-L7knAC2Q

This is one of the funniest sequences I've ever seen.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jimmydalad posted:

Eddie Kingston.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is there a way to watch Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

its on Wrestle Universe, along with NOAH, DDT and Ganbare Pro Wrestling

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Wrestle Universe is such great value, just wish they had more live shows instead of VODs

TJPW doesn't to a ton of (official) English language content, and the guy that used to live translate the shows is leaving the company at the end of this year, but there's still a bit. Wrestle Princess 2 from October had English commentary by Chris Brookes and Baliyan Akki, and their January 4th Korakuen show will as well

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Because we're going back to the bad old days before Mr. Haku the best way to follow storylines is probably going to be the Dramatic DDT Blog especially as we enter the traditional Shoko/Misao silly season:
https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/

Although Joshsizzle is fairly good at producing guides, the introductory guide on the TJPW reddit should get you up to speed on the promotion as a whole:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TJPW/comments/p9v43m/the_beginners_guide_to_tokyo_joshi_pro_wrestling/

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

jimmydalad posted:

John Silver, (AKA Johnny Hungy), is an adorable little ball of muscles, smiles, and wholesome homo-eroticism. Seriously, dude exudes playfulness and is compelling to watch.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

They're not a comedy character, but Abadon rules and is dedicated to their zombie/Silent Hill character in ways that most spooky wrestlers are not. Their friend Heidi Howitzer is very much a comedy character, and her "big oaf from the Mad Max Wasteland" gimmick rules.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

Honestly, Wrestle Universe seems like it should be the subscription you go for. It’s got great womens wrestling with big characters for Tokyo Joshi Pro (Wrestle Princess II with the main event of Miyu Yamashita vs Maki Itoh is a good jumping in point). It’s got DDT for comedy wrestling (with excellent matches thrown in) and you’ve got NOAH for workrate. All in the same subscription

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
And Ganbare (and Ganbare Joshi) for yelling.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is Chocopro on Wrestle Kingdom or is that found elsewhere?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

jimmydalad posted:

Is Chocopro on Wrestle Kingdom or is that found elsewhere?

Chocopro is found on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2HtPsU4U7TNSv2mSbPkj0w

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One of my fav comedy matches this year was Mei Suruga vs Gabai Ji-Chan who does a slow old man gimmick. It's a patient match but very much worth it, and it's one of the few ChocoPro shows that has a ring.

timestamped to Mei's entrance at about 19:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_inkIylnWKQ&t=1159s

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What's something/someone in wrestling that you have fond memories of where it felt like a big part of your wrestling watching experience but actually wasn't around for very long?

Happened to see a blurb earlier that Demolition was really only active in WWF for about 4 years as a team. They were such a massive part of wrestling for me when I was a kid that they feel like they were just there forever. I guess for a kid between the ages of 4 and 8, everything just seems bigger in that way?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

What's something/someone in wrestling that you have fond memories of where it felt like a big part of your wrestling watching experience but actually wasn't around for very long?

Happened to see a blurb earlier that Demolition was really only active in WWF for about 4 years as a team. They were such a massive part of wrestling for me when I was a kid that they feel like they were just there forever. I guess for a kid between the ages of 4 and 8, everything just seems bigger in that way?

Great Muta is my favorite wrestler still almost entirely on the basis of his WCW run. He wasn't around long but he just blew the boundaries wide open, like now anything was possible.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ken Shamrock in the WWF, 4/7/97 - 9/21/99 two years five months. 146 televised matches according to Cagematch.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
NWO Wolfpac, the face version. My brother and I screamed the house down when Sting accepted the t-shirt and came out with red face paint. Nash was the coolest MFer I had ever seen! Savage was finally going to get one over on that rear end Hogan! It made a star out of Konnan! Even Lex was cool, for a bit. Outside of Goldberg, these guys were the most over act in WCW and they were only around for six months or so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Mikey & Tajiri

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
"The Widowmaker" Barry Windham. Cool look, cool name, cool finishing move. My wrestling buddy and I only ever saw one (?) match of his in the few months he was around but that didn't stop us fantasy-booking him into everything wrestling-related we did for years afterwards. It wasn't until he came back as the Stalker that the illusion was finally shattered.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SG Bamboo posted:

Pretty much everyone in TJPW is this, the amount of people that'd fit into a more workrate orientated promotion like Stardome or SEAdLINNG are few, but it's just so fun to watch because everyone's a character. Hyper Misao is a superhero that fights for love and justice despite choosing the cheating option every single time. Yuka Sakazaki is all smiles and sunshine but is a vicious bully just for the hell of it, especially to poor Nodoka Tenma. Miyu Yamashita is a hyper badass and will headkick you until you stop moving, but she also get's nervous when she has to do promos by herself to end the show.

What i'm saying is TJPW is the best.

I feel compelled to add noted Big Kaiju Shoko Nakajima whose gimmick is, of course, she is a big kaiju. Possibly the biggest.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Great Muta is my favorite wrestler still almost entirely on the basis of his WCW run. He wasn't around long but he just blew the boundaries wide open, like now anything was possible.

They did really well with Muta, to my however old eyes at the time. Especially protecting the moonsault which always acted like a killshot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saul Goode posted:

"The Widowmaker" Barry Windham. Cool look, cool name, cool finishing move. My wrestling buddy and I only ever saw one (?) match of his in the few months he was around but that didn't stop us fantasy-booking him into everything wrestling-related we did for years afterwards. It wasn't until he came back as the Stalker that the illusion was finally shattered.

"The Widowmaker" was the coolest nickname ever

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

Mankind’s face run fits for me. Basically Survivor Series ‘98 to Mania 2000.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jimmydalad posted:

It's time you learned about shonen anime protagonist Kidd Bandit

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

I started watching wrestling right after Survivor Series 1999 so I always had a little bias against Steve Austin since he wasn’t one of “my guys.” I still kind of do, to be honest.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ganso Bomb posted:

This sounds like a joke but the bWo was my favorite thing in wrestling when I was like 12 years old and felt like the biggest funniest joke of all time.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

The Berzerker posted:

This sounds like a joke but the bWo was my favorite thing in wrestling when I was like 12 years old and felt like the biggest funniest joke of all time.

Stevie Richards making sure to step over the top rope was great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

Legion of Doom in WWF. Their main run was less than a year and a half. Then there was a hiccup where they lost their titles at a house show and vanished while the company basically replaced them with the Natural Disasters. This disappearance was only in-between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, but felt really noticeable. Especially since their return was immediately poisoned with the Rocko gimmick and they were gone after SummerSlam. After that, any time they showed up, it was apparent that wrestling had left them behind.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As a little Stinger I both absolutely hated and respected the hell out of him, and if he showed (back) up in AEW for one last match with Sting I'd flip my poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

Legion of Doom in WWF. Their main run was less than a year and a half. Then there was a hiccup where they lost their titles at a house show and vanished while the company basically replaced them with the Natural Disasters. This disappearance was only in-between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, but felt really noticeable. Especially since their return was immediately poisoned with the Rocko gimmick and they were gone after SummerSlam. After that, any time they showed up, it was apparent that wrestling had left them behind.

It's interesting; in '88 The Rock & Roll Express left the NWA at the height of their popularity, and when they returned in '90, The Steiners had taken over and set the wrestling world on fire, and the, at one point, most duplicated tag team of all time suddenly looked like old news and has beens. They weren't able to recapture that glory that they once held, and, like I said, it had only been two years.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Saucer Crab posted:

As a little Stinger I both absolutely hated and respected the hell out of him, and if he showed (back) up in AEW for one last match with Sting I'd flip my poo poo.

Sting is to old for Mutoh to beat, need to have him go over Darby to continue is current arc of beating future aces

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ganso Bomb posted:

Weird Okada.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Smackdown only used The Beautiful People as its theme music from August 2001 to May 2003 but I still think of it as the Smackdown theme music.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

As a 13-14 year old, I really wanted the Legion of Doom to get the tag titles because they were Legends and hated those dastardly heels the New Age Outlaws. Young be couldn't understand why the LoD kept losing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Oh you didn’t know??

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Seams posted:

Oh you didn’t know??

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lamuella posted:

Smackdown only used The Beautiful People as its theme music from August 2001 to May 2003 but I still think of it as the Smackdown theme music.

Wasn’t it also used as the theme for the first Smackdown in ‘99 as well as Raw’s theme for a little while in ‘97?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Austin stunned Vince for the first time in September '97, and the "Vince leaves WWF TV" stip at Fully Loaded was July '99.Austin and Vince's storylines came and went from each other for the next few years (and of course the heel turn), but "Austin vs. Vince/various goobers" as a huge feud was over in less than two years.