Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well we very much enjoyed Don't Look Up, though my wife finds herself flipping between finding it very amusing and horribly depressing.

I'm actually very glad this movie was made because I've been having pretty much that very story idea knocking about in my head for years - Armageddon, but national and international politics gently caress up the response in various ways and the asteroid hits the planet. I think I would have preferred a serious treatment of the concept but in a post-trump world I think a comedic treatment is what we all deserve. Still, the absurdity was a bit much at times... and even the very idea that there's another earth out there within reach gives the film a more optimistic tone than perhaps they thought it would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah I was really scoffing at the idea of the colony ship. Especially the idea that they could freeze themselves like that.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

im sure the 20-something thousand year cryosleep segment was supposed to be taken seriously

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

a realistic equivalent would be escaping climate change consequences to underground bunkers or remote locations etc, and eventually the capitalists get torn limb from limb by whatever exploited labor force they took with them

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I watched this with my parents over the holidays. Everyone liked it, my dad said "solid 3 out of 4, what's with some of these reviews", and I pointed out that the Guardian doesn't even make the parallel to climate change and some people just won't confront the reality of it all and would rather nitpick brunch politics, and he said, well yeah.

If only public discourse on this issue had been this realistic and naked 40 years ago :allears:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
my socdem wife crackpinged hard watching the movie and is now incredibly angry

she yelled at me for ordering AAA batteries over amazon instead of buying them locally and told me she’s tired listening to my noble speeches if I’m not going to live the values

it’s a cspam holiday miracle

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

wynott dunn posted:

she yelled at me for ordering AAA batteries over amazon instead of buying them locally and told me she’s tired listening to my noble speeches if I’m not going to live the values

ordering stuff from amazon probably uses less carbon than getting in your car and driving to the store lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

get rechargable batteries you planet-murdering monster :colbert:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

wynott dunn posted:

Tell her that to really live any kind of just like you'd have to move to the woods and live off the grid, or do something that would land you in prison, and neither of these are going to help avert what's coming anyway

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
you can still do stuff to reduce your impact including buying used/vintage clothes furniture etc (which are usually cooler and cheaper than new stuff anyway) and refurbished consumer electronics (literally no one needs a new iphone) and of course adjusting your diet up to an including going vegan

of course none of it will make a difference in aggregate but i think there is virtue in doing the right thing

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wynott dunn posted:

lol she hasn't crackpinged hard enough if she's still placing individual responsibility on you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

T-Paine posted:

Tell her that to really live any kind of just like you'd have to move to the woods and live off the grid, or do something that would land you in prison, and neither of these are going to help avert what's coming anyway

yea this. literally everything you do in the west has negative impact upon the biosphere: it has to. it’s not in equilibrium. even if you lived like an Amish Luddite it’s still not a neutral existence. now if you could get half of America tho become an Amish Luddite then hat would at least stem the bleeding substantially. however they would eventually become uncomfortable or verge of dying before running back.

ELTON JOHN posted:

of course none of it will make a difference in aggregate but i think there is virtue in doing the right thing
I’ve thought about that a lot. much like an own individual action is about akin to throwing a pebble into a tsunami to stop it; not doing that is about the same.

I think people should stop consuming gluttonously lest they get addicted to it and fight anyone who says that’s too much ant wants to take it away; and learn to live with less and make do better with what they have. but I also think deep down most everyone knows there will be day they can’t consume as they have and will just accept it (voluntary or otherwise). I don’t fault individuals for just wanting to tune out and turn off and keep trucking as usual — a business as usual hedonism. it’s only human within the modern-constructed superstructures. yet the struggle there for those who don’t is mentally assuaging the self in trying to live “minimalist” (even though it’s net-negative) so at the end of the day tou can be like Leo and crew at the dinner table saying “we’ll we put up a good fight didn’t we?”. and just for the spiritual self there’s probably some mental value in that even if it’s a lie. really the only feel good thing to do is work in a community and prepare collective-prepping and be ready to take in and give others all you have when the disaster (be it mega drought and no incoming shipments of food, and/or wild fires, or an extended bomb vortex, flood, whatever) comes.

anyways I’m gay and hail satan

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
the ending was cheapened by the idea that escape was possible, the colony ship shouldve just been destroyed flying into a bit of earth as it was trying to leave. or it landing and every single cryopod has failed and everyone is mush

was also missing a "community action" angle, like "we need to throw a big rear end piece of iron at it or it wont work so we need your, yes Your, pots and pans" and have people cheat at doing their part cause its minuscule compared to the whole thing.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1475456882223595527

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I was really scoffing at the idea of the colony ship. Especially the idea that they could freeze themselves like that.

I thought it was a great punchline, because everyone on it was too old to perpetuate the species.

Edit:

Also, they had no survival skills, and were immediately eaten by the indigenous predators that didn't have thousands of years of evolution that made them avoid humans.

Iron Crowned has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Dec 27, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

you can still do stuff to reduce your impact including buying used/vintage clothes furniture etc (which are usually cooler and cheaper than new stuff anyway) and refurbished consumer electronics (literally no one needs a new iphone) and of course adjusting your diet up to an including going vegan

Also following this advice will probably make a positive impact on your life anyway, even though it won't make a difference to climate change.

To add to the list, anyone who can plant habitat for native animals in their garden should do so.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i greatly enjoy cottage cheese rear end ending

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought it was a great punchline, because everyone on it was too old to perpetuate the species.

Edit:

Also, they had no survival skills, and were immediately eaten by the indigenous predators that didn't have thousands of years of evolution that made them avoid humans.

So we're the Golgafrinchans from hitchhikers guide?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
covid is basically like if a comet hit indianapolis and killed everyone there

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alobar posted:

covid is basically like if a comet hit indianapolis and killed everyone there

Have you ever been to Indianapolis? It's not a big loss.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Have you ever been to Indianapolis? It's not a big loss.

I would miss Sun King Brewery

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol she hasn't crackpinged hard enough if she's still placing individual responsibility on you

her counter argument was that, while useless, it makes her feel psychologically better

she didn’t appreciate me pointing out how good it feels to recycle plastic even if it ends up dumped on a beach in the phillipines

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

wynott dunn posted:

her counter argument was that, while useless, it makes her feel psychologically better

Isn't it easier, cheaper and much less time consuming to just make prayers to God?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

wynott dunn posted:

my noble speeches

there's your problem. if you talk the big talk you gotta walk with extremely long strides

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_VPRCtiUg

loling and lmaoing in synchronicity

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1475476213384761345

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well we very much enjoyed Don't Look Up, though my wife finds herself flipping between finding it very amusing and horribly depressing.

I'm actually very glad this movie was made because I've been having pretty much that very story idea knocking about in my head for years - Armageddon, but national and international politics gently caress up the response in various ways and the asteroid hits the planet. I think I would have preferred a serious treatment of the concept but in a post-trump world I think a comedic treatment is what we all deserve. Still, the absurdity was a bit much at times... and even the very idea that there's another earth out there within reach gives the film a more optimistic tone than perhaps they thought it would
Same, then she told me that my "doomer laugh" just sounded like the Everquest skeleton
https://youtube.com/shorts/clc_ch7nago?feature=share

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Trabisnikof posted:

there's your problem. if you talk the big talk you gotta walk with extremely long strides

I’m only talking a big talk in comparison to the average people in our circle who don’t like looking up

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
i usually don't watch TV or movies unless i'm entertaining others, but i liked all the background gags they had going on :shobon:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
dont look up is pretty accurate qnd really the ultimate lesson is sephiroth was right

kater
Nov 16, 2010

T-Paine posted:

it’s fun realizing that the cabin guy they make fun of on the good place is completely correct and everything else is disgusting cope.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Same, then she told me that my "doomer laugh" just sounded like the Everquest skeleton
https://youtube.com/shorts/clc_ch7nago?feature=share

my new apocalypse survival plan is to take ur cracked staff and sell it for beans

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lol/lmao/lmbo that Belgium is going ahead with their plan to shutter all the existing nuclear power plants and replace them with brand new gas fired power plants

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

bedpan posted:

lol/lmao/lmbo that Belgium is going ahead with their plan to shutter all the existing nuclear power plants and replace them with brand new gas fired power plants

what a really dumb loving move

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

the ending was cheapened by the idea that escape was possible, the colony ship shouldve just been destroyed flying into a bit of earth as it was trying to leave. or it landing and every single cryopod has failed and everyone is mush

was also missing a "community action" angle, like "we need to throw a big rear end piece of iron at it or it wont work so we need your, yes Your, pots and pans" and have people cheat at doing their part cause its minuscule compared to the whole thing.

i kinda like how it led to the scene of people so out of touch with reality that one of them tries to pet a large carnivore which immediately starts eating her

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Alobar posted:

what a really dumb loving move

it has been law in Belgium since 2003 to shutdown the nuclear plants but it is not until this year that the green party, who are now in government, have been able to make good on their promise to the voters to replace nuclear with natural gas and coal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Nuclear plants release few pollutants into the air, which have made them an option as nations around the world seek clean energy to meet climate change targets. However, their construction and demolition produce large amounts of greenhouse gases.

Opponents have for decades cited the challenges involved with processing long-lived radioactive waste to lobby against new plants. Climate activists also say that relying on nuclear power risks slowing the rollout of renewable energy sources.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

how the hell is anything I can do on a personal level going to outweigh a sovereign nation voluntarily closing an existing nuclear power infrastructure in favor of more natural gas natural gas and brown coal?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bedpan posted:

how the hell is anything I can do on a personal level going to outweigh a sovereign nation voluntarily closing an existing nuclear power infrastructure in favor of more natural gas natural gas and brown coal?
precisely. absolutely nothing. individual action is a lie for leaders and other rich libs to point to the masses and say 'its all ur fault, DO SOMETHING!'.

btw germany is closing down all nuclear plants end of 2022 and it's going extremely badly. nat gas use is way up, they do fake 'carbon accounting' with 'biomass' which means just stripcutting forests in canada, brazil, us, crushing them into pellets, and shipping them out on bunker fueled mega-freighters and out onto trucks so they can burn them out into the atmosphere and say 'we did it!'. 2021 data is extremely grim there and expect lng and oil use to rise another 10% next year.

nord stream 2 is also going to get approval soon because lng demand in europe is rising massively as oops turns out weather is getting more extreme and need more heating and air conditioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

fanfic insert posted:

Escape was impossible and the colony is doomed. They're all too old to have kids and they don't appear to have any means of building anything or even protecting themselves from the native life. It just enhances the message - even the people who think they're smart enough to escape will fail