Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

My entire raid group cares a lot about the story, and we've got some triple ultimate people too. Also Coil story was what got me into raiding way back when.

I don't really know any raiders who don't pay attention honestly.

It's part of the reverse elitism that being good at the game is a negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's a separate single target rotation for BLM at level 90 that people are using when they have the opportunity to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rk0Qlqdgmc

No Blizzard III or IV, just Transpose/Paradox, Lucid Dreaming, and very careful management of MP ticks. Basically the no Blizzard 4 rotation from ShB but even more extreme.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Thundarr posted:

If we're stuck with just this method due to concerns about server load, client limitations, etc then I'd think at least you should be able to re-apply them a bit early and have the duration stack (this works with food, it could work with debuffs also)

reaper damage debuff already works like this fwiw

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hope next expansion has a magic-based DoT class that will fill the void left behind by the Summoner and Bard class changes.

That and an Engineer tank class. Let me wield those giant hammers, plx.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

I hope next expansion has a magic-based DoT class that will fill the void left behind by the Summoner and Bard class changes.

That and an Engineer tank class. Let me wield those giant hammers, plx.

I would also accept a gunhammer DPS job (as I sit here in MSQ roulette watching Nero monologue), though my guess is it would use maiming gear so that's probably unlikely any time in the next couple expansions

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's part of the reverse elitism that being good at the game is a negative.

Yeah I've been calling them toxic casuals, not sure why this game feels like it has way more of them but its still just as lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DeathSandwich posted:

Wow warlocks actually had some interesting things to do with their damage over time spells though. You had the immolation / conflagration combos, you had curse of agony that would hit increasingly harder every tick and curse of Doom that back loaded all the damage when the debuff ran out. He'll, you had channeled life and Mama drains to keep you in the fight. You were also a hard debuffer and crowd control, both of which xiv really doesn't have a niche for.

And even then, a lot of the time, one you set your dots and debuffs, a lot of the time you just fill time spamming shadowbolt.

I would like to hear more about Mama Drains

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I would like to hear more about Mama Drains

they unfortunately typo'd mana.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Saying someone who skips is more likely to be primarily focused on raiding is one thing but the opposite direction is not the same thing and pretty untrue. Especially these days, a larger portion of the active playerbase is getting savage clears over time, thanks to a combo of content droughts from Covid, general increased interest in the game, and partially where that interest is coming from.

But also ultimately why would you care if someone skips cutscenes anyways. Weird thing for people to get so consistently hung up on anyways

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RME posted:

But also ultimately why would you care if someone skips cutscenes anyways. Weird thing for people to get so consistently hung up on anyways
yeah. if someone skips cutscenes and then goes 'THE STORY IS poo poo' then lol but if someone skips cutscenes just because they arent interested who cares. its their life. the ff14 story is good but its not some mandatory viewing experience.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Xun posted:

Yeah I've been calling them toxic casuals, not sure why this game feels like it has way more of them but its still just as lol

I don't know and I don't want to know and any attempt to correct me or modify my behavior is elitist and therefore you are a nazi.

It's weird, but I've ran into it a few times. Most memorable was running into a warrior who blew up at us when we asked him to turn Defiance on. I've also rant into gladiators in heavenward content whom, when I mentioned he should probably do his class quests and get his job stone his response was "Nah".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another person I commissioned to draw my WoL has finished :toot:

:3: This might be my favorite one yet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like raiders who skipped cutscenes were more common in ARR and, you know what, fair

E:

Macaluso posted:

Another person I commissioned to draw my WoL has finished :toot:

:3: This might be my favorite one yet

that's some good commish yo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I loved MoP Shadow Priest when they added the Devouring Plague orb resource thing, and i'd love a DoT class with that kind of spinning plates gameplay.

Do DoTs snapshot in this game? If so i'd assume a large part of it would be to refresh DoTs at the end of the raidwide buff window.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fun fact: the reverb on Gaius's voice during Prae is apparently added after the fact. Clicked off of the game onto another monitor and it was still echoing. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They do snapshot

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

P3 was rough since we got a tank that kept stacking vuln and not doing any mitigation, then getting pissy any time someone made suggestions. Fortunately he dropped group after the third wipe, and the fourth try was super easy. As for the actual fight Is it just me, or does the arena being orange make everything kind of hard to see for everyone else too? I felt like I couldn't see poo poo. So that's my excuse for standing in bad anyway, but at least I got better as it went on.

On to P4.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 27, 2021

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ferrinus posted:

It's basically the same as ShB - you want to cast Fire IV as many times as possible. Because Fire IV is only castable under Astral Fire, but doesn't refresh Astral Fire, you'll occasionally have to cast Fire instead.

Single target goes: B3, T3, B4, F3, F4 F4 F4, Fire, F4 F4 F4, Despair, repeat. You might have to make compromises or replace F4s with Fires or just skip to the Despair at the end depending on what happens. At level 90, replace Fire with Paradox, and also add a Paradox to the umbral cycle.

AoE goes: B2, T4, Freeze, F2, F2, F2, Flare, Flare.

Generally, you want to refresh Thunder as it's about to fall off and use your Polyglot spells either to move or to prevent a fully polyglot stack from overwriting itself and being wasted.

Nice. Thanks for this. I don't really plan to do anything with this character other than trust dungeons, so I'm not trying to be optimal or anything, but this is helpful to keep me mostly doing what's right.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinteres posted:

P3 was rough since we got a tank that kept stacking vuln and not doing any mitigation, then getting pissy any time someone made suggestions. Fortunately he dropped group after the third wipe, and the fourth try was super easy. As for the actual fight Is it just me, or does the arena being orange make everything kind of hard to see for everyone else too? I felt like I couldn't see poo poo. So that's my excuse for standing in bad anyway, but at least I got better as it went on.

On to P4.

I had the same experience, it was really hard to make out tells, I was on the ground constantly in that fight. I guess they did say that the arena would give it an advantage!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Charles Get-Out posted:

My entire raid group cares a lot about the story, and we've got some triple ultimate people too.

What’s “triple ultimate” mean here?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

By contrast, P4 was minimally frustrating, with just one wipe that probably could have been avoided with a timely healer LB3. We did have multiple players walk directly into the spikes, one repeatedly somehow, but that wasn't really a problem.

Subjunctive posted:

What’s “triple ultimate” mean here?

Ultimate Weapon, Ultimate Bahamut, Ultimate Alexander raids

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Begemot posted:

I had the same experience, it was really hard to make out tells, I was on the ground constantly in that fight. I guess they did say that the arena would give it an advantage!
I did my first runs of P1-4N on tank and 3 was the only one I didn't pick up quickly. Being in melee range meant I had no idea the boss was showing any tells for some of the attacks. Did it on Dancer the second time around and could see the tells so I had much fewer issues.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Hyper Inferno posted:

There's a separate single target rotation for BLM at level 90 that people are using when they have the opportunity to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rk0Qlqdgmc

No Blizzard III or IV, just Transpose/Paradox, Lucid Dreaming, and very careful management of MP ticks. Basically the no Blizzard 4 rotation from ShB but even more extreme.

Disgusting

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ferrinus posted:

I'm guessing they want to make each job place at most one debuff on enemies to make things not get weird in 24- or 48- player content.

lol yeah

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Wheres the flare star???

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

On the subject of retainers from a few pages back, I wanted to change the personality of one of them, so I removed all gear, stripped them bare in their inventory and went to talk to my retainer vocate and...

No additional complaints or context. Just a straight refusal. Any idea wtf is going on?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Did you delete all their HMs?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

In one of the ShB patches they raised the server-side debuff cap for enemies in alliance raids from 60 to 200, which I don't think is actually possible to hit. You can get 56 people into BA but I don't think BA even counts as one of the places they buffed it since its part of the Eureka instance. Maybe 48 man DRS would let you get closest.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
if it were a technical issue theyd say as such. they have been incredibly open about the tech in this game, in every instance possible. the fact that they didnt and for bard they said "were trying a new direction for this class that we think you will like" does in fact point to them just hating dots lol. which is insane to me but sure, okay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just making sure I'm not missing something but Soulsow/Harvest Moon are only for pre-pull and downtime, right?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
You people pining for DoT classes in this game, which doesn't have some kind of WoW-pandemic style grace period for reapplication, are disgusting sickos. Truly vile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Just making sure I'm not missing something but Soulsow/Harvest Moon are only for pre-pull and downtime, right?

yeah its like old forbidden chakra

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That's right, but it's a little more useful than that if you know a fight well - since it's ranged and has no timer on it you can save the prepull one for ranged movement uptime if you need it, as long as you use it before any downtime that might be coming so you can put another one up then.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

Even from a more casual perspective, I can think of two things I'd like for Gunbreaker to make things a little "smoother" when I'm trying to press buttons good:

1. Make No Mercy last 25 seconds instead of 20. Can lower a potency or two to counterbalance that if necessary. Right now, it's impossible to fit your whole burst into No Mercy if you go into it with Bloodfest up, and while that might very well be intentional, it's a "feelsbad" kind of thing. It'd feel better to be able to fit it all into No Mercy even if it evens out to the same overall DPS as right now.

2. Make it so you can hold a Continuation if you do a different GCD between the Gnashing Fang GCDs. It'd still have to be replaced by the next Continuation skill if you use the next Gnashing Fang combo attack before you use it, but it'd mean if you have to weave in a defensive it's easier to still use your Continuation without clipping your GCD.

You have enough time in No Mercy to fit all of your burst even with Bloodfest (3x Gnashing Fang, Double Down, Sonic Break, 3x Burst Strike, plus 1 filler GCD), the problem is that on a full uptime fight the GCD before your 3 minute No Mercy comes up is a Solid Barrel when you have full cartridges. This gives you 4 options: overcap on cartridges, delay No Mercy by a GCD by doing Burst Strike then Solid Barrel, do an unbuffed Burst Strike and go into No Mercy with 2 Cartridges or do the first hit of Gnashing Fang combo unbuffed. The last option is the best. Extending No Mercy wouldn't fix that. I don't think there is anything you could do to fix that without radically redesigning the class. You would need a significantly faster GCD or a different number of max cartridges or deleting Sonic Break or something.

I think my ideal solution to the weaving/boss movement issue without harming the class fantasy would be to make the 1-2-3 combo not interrupt Gnashing Fang. That way you could throw in a filler GCD if you needed it much like you used to be able to with Burst Strike. I would also like to see Bloodfest become a 60 second cooldown for 2 cartridges instead of 90 seconds for 3 since that would greatly aid recovery and get GNB away from being one of the only jobs that bursts on 3 minutes instead of 2 or 1 minutes. Nerf their damage slightly to make up for the better cooldown alignment.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat, a 1,000 person queue at 9pm EST after nothing all last week.

After New Years is probably going back to the nightmare queues. At least we won't be randomly disconnected.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

aers posted:

In one of the ShB patches they raised the server-side debuff cap for enemies in alliance raids from 60 to 200, which I don't think is actually possible to hit. You can get 56 people into BA but I don't think BA even counts as one of the places they buffed it since its part of the Eureka instance. Maybe 48 man DRS would let you get closest.

bet a hunt train could hit 200

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Barreft posted:

drat, a 1,000 person queue at 9pm EST after nothing all last week.

After New Years is probably going back to the nightmare queues. At least we won't be randomly disconnected.

1,000 is better than 3,000 for this time of night, but I got used to the quieter queues over Christmas too.

At least if all of the cool people go out for New Year's Eve, it might be a shorter wait on Saturday night. :cheerdoge:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was pretty surprised at how dead it was over the weekend. Today's still massively better than it was the first couple weeks, but it'll be interesting to see if tomorrow's a mess again because of the raid lockout reset. I kind of wonder if 6.05 won't really be a huge deal just because I assume most players don't do a tremendous amount of savage raiding, especially early on. Maybe there are a bunch of people really into map dungeons though? Obviously crafters will get more to do too, I just don't know how much that leads to player surges vs just people who are going to be playing anyway doing more crafting.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

When is 6.1 gonna be? Some time in March?

I'm probably gonna let my sub lapse until then, don't want to level all my classes right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sinteres posted:

I was pretty surprised at how dead it was over the weekend. Today's still massively better than it was the first couple weeks, but it'll be interesting to see if tomorrow's a mess again because of the raid lockout reset. I kind of wonder if 6.05 won't really be a huge deal just because I assume most players don't do a tremendous amount of savage raiding, especially early on. Maybe there are a bunch of people really into map dungeons though? Obviously crafters will get more to do too, I just don't know how much that leads to player surges vs just people who are going to be playing anyway doing more crafting.

It was literally Christ Mas weekend. People have families.