Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

pmchem posted:

Re: cooler, I considered the NH-D15 but then delved into Noctua’s site where they rate the U14S, U12S, and (surprisingly) even smaller U9S as all top rated for the 12700K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-1579
So I figured I’d just get a 14S or 12S depending on sale prices. I have an i7-6700 right now with an old U12S on it and it’s been great.

The plan is for this build to last as long as current console generations, so roughly about 5+ years. I figure the nvme will be well utilized over that timespan. My skylake build has gotten a lot of mileage out of its 1TB Samsung 970 evo ssd, but it’s full and also not moving to the new build.

I hope/intend on getting a high-end NVidia 4xxx series card in 2022/2023, hence some PSU headroom. Plus it will let the PSU fan ramp up less. My current build has a 520W FANLESS seasonic PSU which is awesome, but good fanless psus seem impossible to find these days.

Good comments so far keep ‘‘em coming thank you.

12700k puts out a ton more heat then the 6700. Like a ridiculous amount more.

CPUs are more or less faster because the TDPs are much higher at this point.

Even though noctua lists those fans as fine (they probably are) under reasonable load they’ll probably be a lot louder that a D15. The D15 is a step up, even if noctua doesn’t mention it there.

IMO the Fuma 2 is your best bet if you’re looking to maximize cost saving AND quiet, while staying quite cool. D15 is the best if you’re looking for the coolest chip.

Echoing you could probably save $100 on the SSD by getting the SN750/770 or similar. It’s probably a lot of overkill for something you may see minimal benefit on. If it were me I’d by the cheaper drive now and move to something that intense later if it’s warranted + it’ll be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The Fuma 2 is loving cooling wizardry. Especially for the price

It's also silent as gently caress

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmm ok, you guys have convinced me to explore the Fuma 2. More notes on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vex9_84VpYs

GN really loves it, although on the noise-normalized thermals around 6:35 in, the NH-D15 is still better. Weird that Fuma 2 isn't sold at microcenter, and for some reason pcpartpicker isn't letting me select it: possible compatibility issue, probably just the socket, and they sell a mounting kit for that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The DH15 is a larger and more expensive cooler. The Fuma 2 is better when you take into account the price point it comes in at.

I'm using a Fuma 2 to cool a 3900X in an ITX build atm and it is silent and keeps the temps around 40-45C.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I want to buy a prebuilt that will last a few years and I don’t need to do anything other than open a box and plug it in. Who are the good makers these days? Budget doesn’t matter

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

born on a buy you posted:

I want to buy a prebuilt that will last a few years and I don’t need to do anything other than open a box and plug it in. Who are the good makers these days? Budget doesn’t matter

If budget really doesn't matter then Origin or someone like that.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

You do have a budget.

We can find you a $10k machine if you want. So please provide a target budget.

pmchem posted:

hmm ok, you guys have convinced me to explore the Fuma 2. More notes on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vex9_84VpYs

GN really loves it, although on the noise-normalized thermals around 6:35 in, the NH-D15 is still better. Weird that Fuma 2 isn't sold at microcenter, and for some reason pcpartpicker isn't letting me select it: possible compatibility issue, probably just the socket, and they sell a mounting kit for that.

It’s a cost thing.

D15 is significantly better but nearly twice the price.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stay away from dell/Alienware who uses lovely custom junk all over.

Corsair or Orion use normal parts and have decent shipping times but def more money then hunting for parts yourself.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't think of a single prebuilt company I'd trust to ship something that just works out of the box. You will at the very least want to give all the components a quick visual inspection. Not to mention most use internal packing materials to keep everything stable inside.

The "money is no object" choice is Falcon Northwest. Their 12700k/3080 builds start at $4500. At least one goon (prada slut) has went with them and was pretty happy. The pictures showed a fairly well-built system, but I feel like they don't do anything special enough to warrant that kind of money. I would hope that their builds are at least reliable and the customer support is good. This is a brand that has been around and positioning themselves as a premium high-end choice for decades now.

Going off the suggestion above, an equivalent system from Origin runs you $3400 instead (their millenium PC, with a 5000D airflow case, a 12700K, 3080, 32GB of corsair LPX ram, the "1TB OPC approved samsung drive" which is a PM9A1, a good drive). I have no idea how reliable they are, but they seem to have a good reputation, though? This strikes me as an obviously more sensible choice though it's still more expensive than...

CyberpowerPC and iBuypower are the everyman choice, though their reputations aren't exactly stellar. iBuypower especially has a pretty cruddy reputation when it comes to customer support and build quality. I've seen a couple goons go to bat for CyberpowerPC before, so they're probably okay, but I'd test every connection and make sure everything is seated properly before turning it on. An equivalent system from CyberpowerPC to the above ones runs you around $2500. This is still something I'd consider overpriced, though it looks like a bargain compared to those others.

Do not even consider OEMs like Dell/Alienware, HP, etc. they will sell you terrible thermal nightmares full of proprietary parts.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You do have a budget.

We can find you a $10k machine if you want. So please provide a target budget.

It’s a cost thing.

D15 is significantly better but nearly twice the price.

$5k. I really don’t care I just want something that will let me play any game at high settings for a few years

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

$5k. I really don’t care I just want something that will let me play any game at high settings for a few years

At that price I’d probably falcon northwest or similar.

https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/talon

They actually focus on cooling, and they seem to have very good support so that should significantly help with your plug and play wants.

On mobile right now so I can’t configure for you, maybe someone else or if I get in front of a desktop. Not 100% sure on pricing, but…

I’d aim for 3080/3090, 12600/12700k if they offer it, 32gb high speed ram, 2TB NVME, with good cooling (high end AIO or full liquid at that price).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tyrsell posted:

Windows 10 is cheaper to buy than Windows 11. Is there any reason to not just buy Windows 10 and upgrade it to Windows 11, considering Microsoft is offering a free update to everyone with Windows 10?

The main thing is not to pay full price. You can still buy a Win 7 license from eBay or SA mart and use that with Win 10, probably with 11 too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think my graphics card is dying. It’s a GTX 760 so literally anything would be an upgrade, but am I hosed regardless or is there anything I can buy for a reasonable price while waiting for the market to unfuck itself?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
:laugh:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I think my graphics card is dying. It’s a GTX 760 so literally anything would be an upgrade, but am I hosed regardless or is there anything I can buy for a reasonable price while waiting for the market to unfuck itself?

You’re hosed. Do everything you can to save the card and start looking now.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

CapnAndy posted:

I bought a 970 in early 2020 for $75, and they're going for $200+, so it kinda seems like you're hosed. My 2080ti is only going for a few hundred more than I bought it for last year though, so you might not hit as hard (relatively) if you go a bit up-market.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

future ghost posted:

I bought a 970 in early 2020 for $75, and they're going for $200+, so it kinda seems like you're hosed. My 2080ti is only going for a few hundred more than I bought it for last year though, so you might not hit as hard (relatively) if you go a bit up-market.

The reason the 2080ti is going for only a few hundred over MSRP is because it was an overpriced, garbage card that barely surpassed the 1080Ti.

That’s nearly the price of a scalped 3070 which is nearly equal in performance with better DLSS and a longer warranty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CapnAndy posted:

My best buys have 1030s

Are you near a Microcenter

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Y’know what, for these purposes I am going to define “there’s one 30 miles away” as being near one. So yes I am.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

The reason the 2080ti is going for only a few hundred over MSRP is because it was an overpriced, garbage card that barely surpassed the 1080Ti.

That’s nearly the price of a scalped 3070 which is nearly equal in performance with better DLSS and a longer warranty.
I didn't mean to imply it was a good deal then or now, just that some of the more expensive cards didn't/don't have as far for scalpers to raise pricing before it becomes untenable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah I'd appreciate it if GPUs went back to saner pricing already. It's nuts how long the craze has been going, and there are no signs of it letting up.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Y’know what, for these purposes I am going to define “there’s one 30 miles away” as being near one. So yes I am.

Quite near considering, my fellow.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

Quite near considering, my fellow.
And as my GPU has moved with rapid speed from "may be dying" to "is dead and my computer is now routing everything through the on-board GPU", I guess I'm taking a drive tomorrow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CapnAndy posted:

And as my GPU has moved with rapid speed from "may be dying" to "is dead and my computer is now routing everything through the on-board GPU", I guess I'm taking a drive tomorrow.

Is what's available gonna be that much better than your igpu? Unless you're planning on spending a more considerable amount.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'll warn you that RTX 3060s are often going for $500+ these days, so even retail prices on models that are miraculously available may stretch your definition of "reasonably priced." The 1650 may be the lowest-priced GPU still in production that's capable of modern gaming, and that'll probably be $250-$300? That's a GPU that debuted two years ago at around $170 iirc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

My man I wish I was 30 miles from Microcenter okay it’s like 44 but still. Just keep in mind it’s probably 1 per month per household but you can always exchange it for something if you find a better card

Which one is it? Maybe I can give you an idea what stock is like

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean yeah if you are looking for a decent gpu without totally sentencing yourself to a ten month stint in igpu land, you gotta put aside 600$ and hope you can get under but plan not to.

God willing tho you can find something on the shelf at mc. Cross you fingers, toss your salt over your shoulder, knock on wood and make an offering.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You have to get to Microcenter early for the raffle or get there right before they put any remaining cards not sold in the raffle up for sale (3PM at my location). There's a discord channel with employees in it that's really helpful if you want to snag a card.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There’s gotta be a beater card at least. Even ours has beater cards leftover always

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pmchem posted:

has anyone here returned computer parts to newegg recently and if so how did it go? they have a couple good deals today but I usually buy from amazon or microcenter because their return policies are so much more customer friendly

edit: particularly interested in any crappy restocking / shipping fees or denials of returns
edit 2: lol just saw shear modulus' post on previous page, yikes

And I'm still waiting for them to mail it back to me so I can try to get the manufacturer to replace it lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is what's available gonna be that much better than your igpu? Unless you're planning on spending a more considerable amount.
My motherboard is an ASUS Z-97 and I just checked the specs and its IGPU is "lol no", so yeah, literally anything functioning would be an improvement.

Alan Smithee posted:

My man I wish I was 30 miles from Microcenter okay it’s like 44 but still. Just keep in mind it’s probably 1 per month per household but you can always exchange it for something if you find a better card

Which one is it? Maybe I can give you an idea what stock is like
It is the one in St. Davids, PA, and what is all this about raffles and stuff? My current plan is to go to the doctor and then drive there, see if they have loving anything for retail price, and then if they don't I'm gonna walk into Best Buy and see what prebuilt jobs they've got that I can walk out of the store with, and worse comes to worst, find scalper prices that aren't completely awful. Because the bottom line is, I value being able to use my goddamn computer some time in the next 3-6 months at well over $1000, so... if I gotta, I can live with it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

My motherboard is an ASUS Z-97 and I just checked the specs and its IGPU is "lol no", so yeah, literally anything functioning would be an improvement.

It is the one in St. Davids, PA, and what is all this about raffles and stuff? My current plan is to go to the doctor and then drive there, see if they have loving anything for retail price, and then if they don't I'm gonna walk into Best Buy and see what prebuilt jobs they've got that I can walk out of the store with, and worse comes to worst, find scalper prices that aren't completely awful. Because the bottom line is, I value being able to use my goddamn computer some time in the next 3-6 months at well over $1000, so... if I gotta, I can live with it.

I’m confused.

You said in an earlier post you’re currently using the iGPU?

Also iGPU is dictated by CPU, not motherboard.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I’m confused.

You said in an earlier post you’re currently using the iGPU?

Also iGPU is dictated by CPU, not motherboard.
If it helps, I'm confused too. This was never supposed to run like this and honestly, as far as I can tell, I don't seem to have one? I know that the motherboard has a DVI plug so it must have something, my CPU is an Intel Core i5 4690, my monitor is still plugged into the GTX's DVI plug, and that Windows is telling me that it sees the GTX 760 but it has error code 43, so it's disabled it and I'm running on Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead.

All I know is I got stuff on my monitor somehow but I drat sure can't play any games, and even the internet and basic typing are a little laggy. Oh, and I also know that the fans are running too loud, like they do when I'm under heavy CPU load, even though I'm not doing anything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1475458976225636357?s=20

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

If it helps, I'm confused too. This was never supposed to run like this and honestly, as far as I can tell, I don't seem to have one? I know that the motherboard has a DVI plug so it must have something, my CPU is an Intel Core i5 4690, my monitor is still plugged into the GTX's DVI plug, and that Windows is telling me that it sees the GTX 760 but it has error code 43, so it's disabled it and I'm running on Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead.

All I know is I got stuff on my monitor somehow but I drat sure can't play any games, and even the internet and basic typing are a little laggy. Oh, and I also know that the fans are running too loud, like they do when I'm under heavy CPU load, even though I'm not doing anything.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80810/intel-core-i54690-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz/specifications.html

You do have an iGPU, and you have a motherboard capable of running an iGPU (there would be no video port if you didn’t).

But if you’re plugged into your GPU, then you’re not running on the iGPU. Microsoft basic display driver means you’re running on the windows video driver, and not nvidia’s.

What troubleshooting have you done? In your case, I would use DDU to remove the driver, shut down and remove the GPU, readd it back in and reinstall the driver before considering buying a new card.

If that doesn’t work, in the meantime plugging your video cable directly into your motherboard should result in much better performance.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So I shouldn’t go tomorrow?

What troubleshooting have you done? In your case, I would use DDU to remove the driver, shut down and remove the GPU, readd it back in and reinstall the driver before considering buying a new card.
Updated driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, deleted display adapter from dxdiag and then scanned for hardware change so computer would pick card back up, same except also uninstalled driver and then reinstalled driver after scanning for hardware change. All have resulted in “lol dead card” as an end result so far. I’ll try ddu tomorrow and I’m not sure if you meant to physically remove the gpu or not, but physically removing it and then plugging it back in was on my list of things to try anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So I shouldn’t go tomorrow?

Updated driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, deleted display adapter from dxdiag and then scanned for hardware change so computer would pick card back up, same except also uninstalled driver and then reinstalled driver after scanning for hardware change. All have resulted in “lol dead card” as an end result so far. I’ll try ddu tomorrow and I’m not sure if you meant to physically remove the gpu or not, but physically removing it and then plugging it back in was on my list of things to try anyway.

No idea. I don’t have experience there. They might be chill and stick to that regular drop schedule or they might be like ours and actively hate people who shop there

If I’m up in the morning I’ll post anything if people call it on discord

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You can also use the BB app trick but I’m not seeing much besides a 80ti MSI and you don’t want that

If you just need something for tomorrow it looks like there’s 1030s everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Note: the 1030 is a decent bit worse than a 760, so that would just be a crutch GPU to keep you going while you look for something better.