Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jemand posted:

There are also likely very nonlinear effects when you go from more applicants to jobs in a given sector to the other way around. Plus very longstanding HR and company acquisition habits that are totally unfit for the new situation. Small changes at margin can have huge cascading effects, so dump s million dead and at least that many more disabled, plus several times that retired, and throw in there the childcare crisis that's reducing women's employment and well, we see the results.

Plus the supply chain shockwaves resulting in a pseudo-recession followed by suppressed demand, amplifying the effects and creating an inflation boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

acidx posted:

They quit their jobs to go full time crypto trader.

well, people are addicted to losing

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

acidx posted:

I refuse to believe this is a thing that a non-negligible part of the population are making money on.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I refuse to believe this is a thing that a non-negligible part of the population are making money on.

For everyone making money on it, how many are left holding the bag?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Animal posted:

Ultimately for every real money winner there will be a loser (in dollar terms) but until the final collapse to zero people can believe they are all winners.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Animal posted:

Some estimates are that 80% of Ethereum is held by 20% of the investors. https://gadgets.ndtv.com/cryptocurrency/news/ethereum-whales-few-own-majority-nfts-available-blockchain-report-moonstream-2587362

For artists selling their stuff as NFTs, 'If your artwork is among the more than 1 in 3 NFTs that sold for $100 or less, Parker explains, “you can expect to have 72.5 percent to 157.5 percent of your sale deducted by fees [depending on the platform]. That’s an average(!) of 100.5 percent, leaving you with a $0.50 deficit or more.”' https://news.artnet.com/market/think-artists-are-getting-rich-off-nfts-think-again-1962752

So nobody really knows an exact answer to that question but they seem to think it's a lot.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

acidx posted:

Residency Evil posted:

I also refuse to believe people are making enough money from it, but the media seems to indicate that a lot of people are certainly trying it.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/currencies/crypto-trading-nurse-quit-day-job-to-make-7-figures-2021-10

https://medium.datadriveninvestor.com/why-millennials-are-quitting-jobs-to-become-crypto-day-traders-2148d6f32952

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cryptocurrency-fomo-pushes-young-investors-100248559.html

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88g4m3/i-quit-my-job-to-do-crypto-full-time

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I've seen a few people who have done it. Usually it's a matter of making a little less than what they made at work over a period of a few months and then they decide to pull the trigger because the sick gains are a result of them being smart. As long as they keep being smart, they will continue to make money, so they figure they can live this new lifestyle indefinitely.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Within my bot community about 25-50% are sustaining income throughout this entire bull cycle with their bots. It's I want to say maybe 2500 people in total, tops. The other 50% is absolutely losing money constantly in a spiral of failure.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There is a huge amount of people that can't understand the difference between revenue and profit and it's why crypto and the gig economy exist.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

brugroffil posted:

You also have rolling child care crisis which means some people can't work even if they'd want too, because child care is simultaneously very expensive for parents and absolute garbage pay for the workers. Retention was hard enough pre pandemic, now it's even more difficult to keep staff for $15/hr in covid factories

Left my lovely 10 year career this September for this exact reason. Why the gently caress would I pay most of what I make to have someone watch my baby, which I mostly enjoy doing, so that I can work a garbage job which I do not enjoy doing.
Does not help they decided we needed to go back to the office this September after about 18 months remote "because our competitors are and we don't want the clients to think we don't care as much."

Quit without notice at the end of my 16 week paid maternity leave, gently caress 'em all.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I used to read a blog written by a teacher in a really bad school, (she was affiliated with Tucker Max for context) and often she'd get giftcards as presents from the students, and she wouldn't even bother to check them because 100% of the time they were shoplifted and not activated.

https://tard-blog-mirror.blogspot.com/2002/12/1222-review-of-riti-speds-christmas.html

Pro read, special ed teacher, bad students, worse parents. A bit depressing but funny.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
That definitely is a 2002 blog

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Oh my, I had completely forgotten about that blog

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Wow, “affiliated with Tucker Max” is a hell of an understatement.

Hint: if you rightfully looked at the URL with revulsion, that will not be a pleasant read.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It’s appalling that we considered this poo poo funny back then. It really was a more simple time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yikes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Animal posted:

It’s appalling that we considered this poo poo funny back then. It really was a more simple time.

We were also twenty years younger, which does a lot to change our perspectives.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

hallo spacedog posted:

Left my lovely 10 year career this September for this exact reason. Why the gently caress would I pay most of what I make to have someone watch my baby, which I mostly enjoy doing, so that I can work a garbage job which I do not enjoy doing.
Does not help they decided we needed to go back to the office this September after about 18 months remote "because our competitors are and we don't want the clients to think we don't care as much."

Quit without notice at the end of my 16 week paid maternity leave, gently caress 'em all.

Some of us are also just cashing out of our jobs because it's destroying our bodies and brains. I got a doctor to sign off on long-term sick leave about three weeks ago because the stress symptoms I was describing were, to her, bad enough to be confused for literal brain damage(thankfully she confirmed it didn't seem like brain damage). Since then I've just cut off all contact with my workplace of the last six years unless they demand some sort of formal paperwork, which they haven't so far, but I've no doubt that my departure is causing some of the same kind of chaos as is describe in the "stdh" stories above.

Firstly the place is, like so many others, operating on a knife's edge of staffing, meaning that a single absent employee is usually enough to completely collapse scheduling for their department, there's zero buffer anywhere. Secondly, roughly a year after I started, they completely stopped doing any kind of organized on-boarding in terms of teaching people how systems worked, or about products, leaving everything to be handed over by oral tradition, which means there's tons of systems information and general good work habits, not to mention product knowledge, that they've just completely stopped helping people learn.

Plus I know I'm not the only one, they've lost 50% of middle management this year to their just deciding they had better options elsewhere and were tired of the company's bullshit, not to mention all the on-the-floor employees making the same choices. And as a company they're insanely slow to replace any lost employees or managers. The former because any employee that isn't dogshit useless won't agree to their work conditions and pay for the most part, the latter just due to inertia... except for the new store manager who just brings in unqualified friends of his to fill in empty middle management positions overnight. Which is absolutely also contributing to people getting the gently caress out.

Every one of us that leaves puts more pressure on other people to leave, and at some point there's just going to be an avalanche of departures and the whole place will loving collapse.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oh so that's why you've been so busy with the Might and Magic LPs :D

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Aces High posted:

Oh so that's why you've been so busy with the Might and Magic LPs :D

Hahahah, I mean, it does give me more time in between mental breakdowns to do things I enjoy, like writing LP's.

Maybe I just need to pivot to doing terrible meme game LP's like Five Nights At Freddy's so people will subscribe to a Patreon and I can leave the traditional job market entirely.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PurpleXVI posted:

Hahahah, I mean, it does give me more time in between mental breakdowns to do things I enjoy, like writing LP's.

Maybe I just need to pivot to doing terrible meme game LP's like Five Nights At Freddy's so people will subscribe to a Patreon and I can leave the traditional job market entirely.

Can you link said Might and Magic lps?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For Those Who Have Bought NFTs

There’s an OP here, but the real gold is in the highest rated comment:

quote:

I normally wouldn’t comment something so personal, but I am extremely close to the twin owners of arguably the largest NFT platform in the world.
I have been an advisor and actively involved since before the acronym NFT was even created, back when counterparty was big in 2017/ early 2016.

For the love of god, DO NOT GET into NFT’s
99.99% of all volume is fake.

Nearly none of them have any secondary sale value. Bored ape yacht club, crypto punks... it’s mostly daisy chaining and insider buying.

This is a colossal waste of your fathers time.

I personally own over 15 crypto punks, and I can tell you that they’re arguably the realest thing in the space to actually having liquidity for high value nfts.

The liquidity is thinner than you’d think.

I sell the shovels, I don’t buy the gold.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It certainly feels like more and more people are coming around to the stupidity of NFTs, but I’ve seen stupid poo poo carry on for much longer than I ever thought.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I may trade crypto but the only way I'll have an nft is something gifted from friends for pure entertainment. People getting an airdrop from opensea for spending shitloads of eth and I have spent 0 on opensea nor do I plan to. i know a group running w business scalping NFT's to great profit but even they stopped recently as even that market is drying up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Source ur quotes.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I may trade crypto but the only way I'll have an nft is something gifted from friends for pure entertainment. People getting an airdrop from opensea for spending shitloads of eth and I have spent 0 on opensea nor do I plan to. i know a group running w business scalping NFT's to great profit but even they stopped recently as even that market is drying up.

I may trade in beanie babies, but that new kind of beanie baby is dumb

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
For your consideration: https://nftreplicas.net/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

$200 to make a replica of a NFT.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

$200 to make a replica of a NFT.

Is it actually minting them, or is it just emailing you a .jpg?

For $200, I would hope they would at least send you a .png.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Don't you work in a butt exchange.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Thanatosian posted:

Is it actually minting them, or is it just emailing you a .jpg?

For $200, I would hope they would at least send you a .png.

Apparently it is minting a whole new NFT that uses the exact same URL (and thus, the same image source) that is used in the original NFT.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like I know the answer to this, but I have to ask. So since an NFT is really just a url link, what is stopping someone from just changing what is at the link? Who controls what is actually shown? The NFT minting companies? How is it stored?

Seems like it’s inevitable that all these NFTs get wiped out by a motivated hacker.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel like I know the answer to this, but I have to ask. So since an NFT is really just a url link, what is stopping someone from just changing what is at the link? Who controls what is actually shown? The NFT minting companies? How is it stored?

Seems like it’s inevitable that all these NFTs get wiped out by a motivated hacker.
None of that matters at all. It’s like asking about whether the Nigerian Prince’s gold is in minted coins or bars.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Most of the canonical NFT links are "hosted" on a decentralized CDN, IPFS. Its the the technical equivalent of something like BitTorrent x Cloudflare. It definitely has no guarantee of retention, and obviously no one wants to store data forever for free.

Uncoincidentially, the group developing IPFS has their own coin - Filecoin.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1448066579611234305

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Splicer posted:

Don't you work in a butt exchange.

Yes, indirectly but yeah. I control a hedge fund under said butt exchange, and I legitimately need to spin up my own exchange and call it butt.exchange or rear end.exchange. I think that'd be fun.

Separately/in addition I also run a private biz with algobots as well. I have teams of developers but even I'm not going to engage the nft flippers for that service. I'm just basically doing other things while bots make money.

One thing to remember about the bitcoin ponzi is it has global reach (Sans china in very few instances only - plenty still using crypto in China daily so the ban did nothing), so there seems to be a very large supply of people willing to gamble away their money so far, I don't think we've hit peak in any way yet. I'd suspect May or June before bigger folks than myself decide to pull the plug on this cycle. I thought it would be December but narrative is now "extended cycle".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yes, indirectly but yeah. I control a hedge fund under said butt exchange, and I legitimately need to spin up my own exchange and call it butt.exchange or rear end.exchange. I think that'd be fun.

Separately/in addition I also run a private biz with algobots as well. I have teams of developers but even I'm not going to engage the nft flippers for that service. I'm just basically doing other things while bots make money.

One thing to remember about the bitcoin ponzi is it has global reach (Sans china in very few instances only - plenty still using crypto in China daily so the ban did nothing), so there seems to be a very large supply of people willing to gamble away their money so far, I don't think we've hit peak in any way yet. I'd suspect May or June before bigger folks than myself decide to pull the plug on this cycle. I thought it would be December but narrative is now "extended cycle".

Punishment: death by guillotine

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

:wrongful:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I dunno, I find a view from inside this bullshit that recognizes that it's bullshit to be pretty interesting.

Gross, but interesting.