Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just saw this. The whole thing felt off, like a fan film or a sci-fi tv special.

Like if the original trilogy is Mass Effect, this felt like Andromeda.

The self awareness at the beginning was fun and that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

The movie doesn’t do a great job of clarifying that he’s a simulacrum of Morpheus and not meant to be THE Morpheus that Neo knew.

The movie was exceptionally clear about this. I do not know how you could have missed it short of not actually paying attention to the film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Like if the original trilogy is Mass Effect, this felt like Andromeda.

Andromeda's first mission was nowhere near as good as this movie's first act

But otherwise

Apt

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, the original trilogy IS Mass Effect

The second entry is way better, the third entry is inexplicably loud and incoherent with a flatulent New Age denouement, hardcore fans love to say the first entry is the only one that's any good, and let's not even talk about the Asari

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Both Mass Effect and Matrix have squids.

Same thing, confirmed.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hugo doing the scene where Smith awakens would have been so loving good.

Holy gently caress, yes.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Jay-V posted:

My theory: Neo is The One (n.b., "One" is an anagram of "Neo")

drat i was wrong

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ok, but who is number two and who does he work for?

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Rewatching, digging the sign ~6 minutes in that reads FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO EAT poo poo. Subtitle contender

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm really glad for the advancement of the setting with the human / machine commune of IO. I especially like how the programs can exist in the real world using the magnetic balls. It essentially makes what smith did to bane in the sequels benevolent and helpful.

Things that I wish I had a better handle on though:

1. Why are Neo and Trinity so important to keep alive? The movie implies that they're needed to run this new Matrix and that keeping them always apart creates a more efficient energy output for those plugged into NuMatrix, but the mechanisms involved here didn't seem very well explained.

2. Other than to give Thomas a foil in the form of an annoying boss, why use smith at all? That dude nearly destroyed the entire machine city by bringing down the matrix in part 3. The series as a whole uses the experience of Neo jumping into smith as a shorthand for explaining that smith was somehow 'changed' and forever linked to Neo but again doesn't provide many answers into how or why that is.

Things I liked:

1. Nu Morpheus outright being explained. It's cool that Neo subconsciously creates a figure that he knows will be capable of freeing himself from the matrix. The transition to a new version with the same name is well justified and the character as portrayed by Lawrence F. is given proper respects (he even gets a dang statue)

2. Bugs telling Neo that all his efforts weren't useless and that things did change for the better. For us old farts we really do feel like the world has deteriorated in front of us since the turn of the century. "The matrix seems as bad if not worse than ever before" However there are things that have advanced, there are social mores that have improved, and there are things to still be hopeful for. I think that was a good message to put into the movie.

3. Making Trinity the One or at least she's every bit as necessary as the One. This gives her character way more mystery and with more to see in future sequels. In Matrix 2 + 3 she was just this hanging on justification for NEO, now she's her own equal and separate force. Her flying and holding up NEO at the end changed the dynamic: it's no longer NEO saving her, it's the both of them saving each other. Earlier when NEO was on the motorcycle, she's driving and he's putting up the shields... and together they're working as one team. It's a perfect allegory for the way relationships between older adults ought to be and it was great to see that idea captured so well on screen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

G-III posted:

1. Why are Neo and Trinity so important to keep alive? The movie implies that they're needed to run this new Matrix and that keeping them always apart creates a more efficient energy output for those plugged into NuMatrix, but the mechanisms involved here didn't seem very well explained.

Matrixes always end up in a neo. Run a matrix long enough and it gets out of wack enough some guy somewhere ends up embodying the glitchy discontent and loving things up.

They could kill neo and just build up disenchantment until a new “the one” arose but that isn’t as good as just taking the one they have and neutering him into controlled opposition who’s rebellion is kept on check by marketing teams and who’s love story is replaced with an incel narrative about his girl being with handsome chad.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was the swarm comprised of men only? I know we have that initial scene with the couple in bed and the wife screams in horror as her partner jumps out the window but watching those gifs reminded me that from what I could tell all the bots in the swarm were men. No idea if that's accurate since it would require a fair few rewatches of those scenes but it's an interesting choice if so, and a missed opportunity for that popular slowed-down emotional cover style being applied to It's Raining Men.

G-III posted:

2. Other than to give Thomas a foil in the form of an annoying boss, why use smith at all? That dude nearly destroyed the entire machine city by bringing down the matrix in part 3. The series as a whole uses the experience of Neo jumping into smith as a shorthand for explaining that smith was somehow 'changed' and forever linked to Neo but again doesn't provide many answers into how or why that is.

Smith saves Neo & Trinity in the coffee shop at the end when they're frozen and powerless. He whacks the Analyst right before he can kill Trinity and helps in the brawl that follows. Aside from that all we know is that he is in league with the Mero and has an assumed determination to stay free after having been awoken.

It was explained to me earlier that the whole reason he fights Neo in the first place is to stop him confronting the Analyst because he knows that Neo will lose (and it turns out he was right) which would result in Neo back in the pod and Smith once again losing his freedom. I do kinda wonder why they didn't just agree to team up in the first place however since that would have been interesting and well, they both essentially have the same goal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Funniest out of context suggestion for a movie goes to:

VROOM VROOM posted:

Throw NPH off a roof or something.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I cannot believe they didn't run with Social Media Is The New Matrix, and your Attention makes it run instead of your Body Heat. Instead of Neo's Denied True Love. Oh well.

honestly, im glad they didn't. They wouldn't have been able to pull it off next to "Don't look up."

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I don't like that most of the crew gets no real screen time and we don't really get to know them at all. I couldn't even remember their names a couple minutes after they were introduced to Neo.

Did any of them do the thing that Switch was supposed to do in the original with swapping gender between matrix and real world? They were so unmemorable (other than the captain, the operator and morpheus) I couldn't tell. Seems like it would be a good opportunity to finally do that.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I cannot believe they didn't run with Social Media Is The New Matrix, and your Attention makes it run instead of your Body Heat. Instead of Neo's Denied True Love. Oh well.

Getting that specific is in the text is kinda against the concept of the Matrix. If you want social media to be the new matrix, it is!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
With the chuds complaining about the film I went into this with high hopes and the first 20 minutes almost lives up to it, then it completely nose dives in quality. Might be better than matrix 3, matrix 2 wasn't very good but had a great chase scene. This was just...boring.

Might be the worst film I've seen this year.

Machai posted:

I don't like that most of the crew gets no real screen time and we don't really get to know them at all. I couldn't even remember their names a couple minutes after they were introduced to Neo.

Did any of them do the thing that Switch was supposed to do in the original with swapping gender between matrix and real world? They were so unmemorable (other than the captain, the operator and morpheus) I couldn't tell. Seems like it would be a good opportunity to finally do that.

Most of them seem to be in it to purely the actors jobs after sense 8 got cancelled.
Did any of them even die? It seems they all got saved at the last minute but maybe some did and I just forgot, because as mentioned, incredibly forgettable.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 28, 2021

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

It was explained to me earlier that the whole reason he fights Neo in the first place is to stop him confronting the Analyst because he knows that Neo will lose (and it turns out he was right) which would result in Neo back in the pod and Smith once again losing his freedom. I do kinda wonder why they didn't just agree to team up in the first place however since that would have been interesting and well, they both essentially have the same goal.

smith is a crazy person, he has goals but can't always try to reach them rationally. there was never any rational reason for him to take over the whole matrix with his clones, or to fight neo after he was no longer an agent, but he hated everything so much that he could only lash out. even when he won at the end he was confused and frightened by the things he was destined to say.

so you get this chilled out smith years later, and it makes sense that he entered a conversation trying to reason with neo but ran out of patience and went apeshit almost immediately. he still hates neo intensely, even if he's also starting to like him

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

The movie doesn’t do a great job of clarifying that he’s a simulacrum of Morpheus and not meant to be THE Morpheus that Neo knew.

why is this thread full of people who "watch movies" by ignoring them

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

HorseLord posted:

why is this thread full of people who "watch movies" by ignoring them

Because the film was so unengaging you zone out and miss parts.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
i think if you fail to noticed dialogue that happens in the immediate start of the movie, that's not because it's "unengaging"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The audio mixing in the first scene is pretty terrible, almost tenant levels of bad. Thankfully its short lived and seems mostly fine for the rest of the film but I can totally understand people not hearing the exposition clearly and being confused.
Its explained again later but by then everyone has been lulled to sleep.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
"i didn't understand anything in this movie that i didn't pay any attention to, and me not understanding it justifies not paying attention"

its funny how this movie moves Simulacra and Simulation from background directly into dialogue by having the analyst tap on neo's head and say like "the only world that matters is the one inside your head", then people spend their time making criticisms and assumptions that are directly contradicted by the film itself, which they don't know, because they weren't looking. people aren't really talking about the film, they're talking about the film they assume they saw. which means that they aren't a pure audiance, but the people lana wachowski is explicitly drawing attention to and mocking. people are paying whatever it costs to go to a cinema these days and unwittingly becoming the subject matter

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 28, 2021

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
also i watched it on my laptop and the audio was clear the whole way through so it's on your cinema's end

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I think the movie did kind of do the social media is the new matrix thing i.e. with the emphasis on feelings. Giving you what you want but just out of reach, the dopamine hits of your newsfeed. The therapist is woke consumerism

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mega Comrade posted:

Did any of them even die? It seems they all got saved at the last minute but maybe some did and I just forgot, because as mentioned, incredibly forgettable.
No, none of them die, and they make a point of this by saving everyone at the end of the film and being incredibly happy about it.

There were a couple of lines in the first 20 minutes that were delivered by Bugs at a speed entirely too fast to understand w/o rewinding and listening again a couple of times. I don't understand any language other than English (and not for want of trying, 4 straight years of Spanish in High School and I can't remember any of it, so I think my brain just can't handle it) and it takes cognitive effort to understand people with thick accents, even if it's soft British like Bugs has. There were a couple other lines later on in the movie that were sputtered out in a way that weren't 100% clear to me. Thankfully, I do not believe any of these lines were of any groundbreaking importance.

There was also everything Merv said, which I caught maybe 2 sentences of because he was swerving in and out of French while also getting bum hair caught in his teeth. That scene, specifically, is one I need to go back to with subtitles. If it wasn't for him making "pushing buttons on a video game controller" motions, I think I would have completely missed the point of his existence outside of "he is mad he can't have orgies anymore."

Edit: Okay. Wow. He certain says... some stuff...

I thought I understood the point of this character but he enjoys art, conversation, originality... but hates Facebook, Wikipedia, and climate change? Someone clear this up for me.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 28, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

HorseLord posted:

"i didn't understand anything in this movie that i didn't pay any attention to, and me not understanding it justifies not paying attention"

its funny how this movie moves Simulacra and Simulation from background directly into dialogue by having the analyst tap on neo's head and say like "the only world that matters is the one inside your head", then people spend their time making criticisms and assumptions that are directly contradicted by the film itself, which they don't know, because they weren't looking. people aren't really talking about the film, they're talking about the film they assume they saw. which means that they aren't a pure audiance, but the people lana wachowski is explicitly drawing attention to and mocking. people are paying whatever it costs to go to a cinema these days and unwittingly becoming the subject matter

That's some fine rear end goon.txt there

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
He is French and he doesn’t like neo

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DaveKap posted:

I thought I understood the point of this character but he enjoys art, conversation, originality... but hates Facebook, Wikipedia, and climate change? Someone clear this up for me.

The premise of the movie is basically that the original matrix the system was bad, that under the surface of his life he was just a cog in a machine living a fake life at his boring cubicle job. This was something he had to wake up to.

By the modern day kinda everyone in the US agrees the system we live under sucks. We all know it. No one is sitting at a cubical job saying "ah yeah, this is a real life" and in fact the new matrix is made to trap people by exploiting that, the power of the stress at the painful intersection where everyone wants change but reaching out and taking it would be too much to do.

The yucky bad merovingian is there to show someone misreading that. The reactionary boomer take of "everything just used to be better" which the movie does not agree with. The matrix is now trapping people in deadend lives via media messages and hopelessness, but that doesn't mean it used to be good or that the surface level complaints are what it means. So he is there to express the points in a dismissable way because they are so far from what the movie means with it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

People shouldn't be surprised by the Matrix having baffling tacky poo poo in it, especially when it comes to the Merovingian

This is a series where a woman eats a cake that makes her cum

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Like many I thought the first half showed potential and the second just failed to deliver.

the idea that people are too afraid to take what they want is interesting, but first there was the promise of showing how memory/nostalgia is itself an invisible cage that can trap us which had much more room to be explored and could have carried the whole film.

And in general I just have a hard time connecting with predestined/prophesied love stories, because every time it feels like stuff is only happening because the story needs it to happen, rather than because there is actual chemistry. This was also an issue with the Watchmen show which YAM2 is also in.

Swarms of enemies is boring

Neo only knows force fields now

Ending lines made me cringe

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

That's some fine rear end goon.txt there

what was it we used to say? turn your monitor on? This is just Baudrillard, which is a thing the matrix has been using for 20 years.

Jay-V posted:

Like many I thought the first half showed potential and the second just failed to deliver.

the idea that people are too afraid to take what they want is interesting, but first there was the promise of showing how memory/nostalgia is itself an invisible cage that can trap us which had much more room to be explored and could have carried the whole film.

Maybe the first half of the film makes that point and the second half proves it by serving as an example.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 28, 2021

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

endocriminologist posted:

He is French and he doesn’t like neo

"You know what they call Neo in France? One's the One, but they call 'im Le One."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

New Matrix Good

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseLord posted:

i think if you fail to noticed dialogue that happens in the immediate start of the movie, that's not because it's "unengaging"

“Tell-don’t-show” is extremely bad storytelling that audiences will automatically tune out, every time.

When you don’t illustrate things properly (or at all), people have to actively fight the movie to follow anything.

Matrix 4 is also heavily reliant on you remembering earlier bad exposition from films back in 2003. The movie literally cannot make sense at all unless you’ve fully remembered and understood stuff like the Architect’s monologue from the end of Reloaded.

I had luckily just heavily researched the earlier trilogy, but even that reached its limits when trying to figure out the whole deal where they negotiate by threatening to kill Trinity or whatever. NPH half-explains the creation of the Anonaleum while jerkily time-travelling with a handgun through an explosion factory.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Tell-don’t-show” is extremely bad storytelling that audiences will automatically tune out, every time.

When you don’t illustrate things properly (or at all), people have to actively fight the movie to follow anything.

these two sentences are contradictory

your complaint is disproved just by the fact that you're the only person who managed to misunderstand that scene. everyone else got it loud and clear. its really just you

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 28, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseLord posted:

these two sentences are contradictory

your complaint is disproved just by the fact that you're the only person who managed to misunderstand that scene. everyone else got it loud and clear. its really just you

?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Matrix 4 is also heavily reliant on you remembering earlier bad exposition from films back in 2003. The movie literally cannot make sense at all unless you’ve fully remembered and understood stuff like the Architect’s monologue from the end of Reloaded.

I had luckily just heavily researched the earlier trilogy, but even that reached its limits when trying to figure out the whole deal where they negotiate by threatening to kill Trinity or whatever. NPH half-explains the creation of the Anonaleum while jerkily time-travelling with a handgun through an explosion factory.

you like the first one better, we get it :rolleyes:

e: that said,
Matrix Thread: I had luckily just heavily researched the earlier trilogy,

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 28, 2021

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

SMG, your performance in the movie was great. I loved when you were in the coffee shop talking to Keanu about what made the Matrix great and offered to talk to Trinity for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I mean, scenes that are densely packed with obliquely delivered exposition is a mainstay of the series. It definitely dates back to the Architect, but you can certainly make the case that the Oracle's scene in The Matrix is similar.

This has to be semi-intentional, right? IIRC, The Matrix was one of the first big DVD successes; it was reasonable to write a sequel knowing that people would watch it multiple times. I certainly went back and re-watched several of the more exposition heavy scenes on HBO Max. Didn't Lost do something similar on ABC? Where the writers started to make clues increasingly blink-or-you'll-miss-it because they knew they could rely on a massive fan base with a bunch of DVRs to pick up on them?