Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The crazy vaccine conspiracy Kennedy put out a book that says Fauci is part of a crazy vaccine conspiracy! We got him now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Technowolf posted:

Damnit Ted Rall, stop saying things I agree with!
My response on the other hand is "Okay, and...?" No poo poo student loans suck and feel like a scam, but I graduated 11 years ago and Rall graduated 31 years ago, people have been saying that for decades.

It's not really saying anything new or insightful over 4 panels that wasn't already said in
this tweet.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tibalt posted:

It's not really saying anything new or insightful

Thread title?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tibalt posted:

My response on the other hand is "Okay, and...?" No poo poo student loans suck and feel like a scam, but I graduated 11 years ago and Rall graduated 31 years ago, people have been saying that for decades.

It's not really saying anything new or insightful over 4 panels that wasn't already said in
this tweet.
Oh, its been discussed before, guess a political cartoonist should never mention it again

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

World Famous W posted:

Oh, its been discussed before, guess a political cartoonist should never mention it again
When it takes 4 panels to say nothing beyond relaying a boring anecdote from Rall's life? Yeah, it's a waste of space.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All political cartoonists set to resign in shame after reading that post.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tibalt posted:

it's a waste of space.
This thread is dedicated to a craft that on a whole is a waste of space

That cartoon was not worth committing on at all other than disdain for its author. Which fine. Whatever.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tibalt posted:

this tweet.

I forgot that studen loans were cancelled decades ago, and are thus no longer part of the discourse

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You guys are reeeeealy reaching to hate on that Rall. It's a good comic, unironically.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Bors and Lubchansky would have at least mentioned student loans restarting.

And included a joke.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The joke is that right wingers consider people irresponsible for not paying back student loans, despite the fact that many of those people signed up for the loans when they were children who did not fully understand how the world worked.

Is it a good joke? Not really, but it is recognizable as a joke.

"This cartoon is bad because the cartoonist is talking about things that have already been discussed and using a personal anecdote" is a lovely criticism because you could then argue that Lubchansky, Keith Knight, or Marty Two Bulls are bad cartoonists.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall's comic feels like half a good comic that might appear on somewhere like The Nib. If it had a few panels tying it to what is happening now, like maybe how his children have the exact same problem, then it would work.

As it is I don't know if making it about his own personal experience makes the cartoon stronger or weaker. It makes more personal, but the time difference makes it feel weird - I don't know what it was like in the US but the college payment experience in Australia was vastly different in the eighties compared with how it is now.

Plus given all the bullshit stories he has told about his life it is hard not to have mixed opinions about someone saying "you're irresponsible" to a young adult Ted Rall.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Terrible Opinions posted:

To the average American the entire Middle East is one continuous series of sand dunes.
Yeah, I know it's this. It's just that...I mean look, I'm not a Christian. So I don't really have a dog in the fight. But if I actually believed that this guy was the literal saviour of all mankind and he was also literally the creator of all things...I dunno, I think I'd like, you know, look this poo poo up. Like if I literally believed god had a hometown and it still exists, I'd be kinda interested in it.

And it doesn't take a lot of research to discover that the climate is Mediterranean. The countryside around Bethlehem is rocky rolling hills covered with trees and scrub. The Judean hills are full of olive groves and vineyards and in the winter it's often cold and rainy.

And the kinda weird thing about the "Bethlehem is in a desert" thing is that it didn't used to be like this. The Adoration of the Magi is a well-worn subject in art, and if anything the tendency used to be to depict Bethlehem as too lushly pastoral. He's an illustration from a book of hours circa the late 14th Century:

And one of several of Hieronymus Bosch's takes on the subject, circa the end of the 15th Century:

And here's Perugino having a go in the early years of the 16th Century:

So I'm kinda curious as to what poisoned the well, so that now it's always three guys on camels in the middle of a featureless desert.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Mike Lester

Henry Payne

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

Carjacker
Joe Biden may have the title “Commander In Chief” but we know who’s really in charge, China.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

lol at those scribbles

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The "Radical Left" was the only support the Democrats had, and 2022 pushed them right...of a cliff.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SubG posted:

And it doesn't take a lot of research to discover that the climate is Mediterranean. The countryside around Bethlehem is rocky rolling hills covered with trees and scrub. The Judean hills are full of olive groves and vineyards and in the winter it's often cold and rainy.

And the kinda weird thing about the "Bethlehem is in a desert" thing is that it didn't used to be like this. The Adoration of the Magi is a well-worn subject in art, and if anything the tendency used to be to depict Bethlehem as too lushly pastoral.

The Bible even specifically says that shepherds were out tending to their flocks, which is a pretty big sign that the area isn't desert, because it's kind of hard to graze sheep if you're just surrounded by sand dunes.

I think it really is just "Americans think the entire Middle East is desert," no other explanation makes sense.

This poo poo is just loving hilarious. So completely detached from reality. It's incredible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

The joke is that right wingers consider people irresponsible for not paying back student loans, despite the fact that many of those people signed up for the loans when they were children who did not fully understand how the world worked.

Is it a good joke? Not really, but it is recognizable as a joke.

"This cartoon is bad because the cartoonist is talking about things that have already been discussed and using a personal anecdote" is a lovely criticism because you could then argue that Lubchansky, Keith Knight, or Marty Two Bulls are bad cartoonists.

It's the go-to complaint whenever Rall occasionally draws something correct but people want to criticize it anyway

See also: drones

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The cartoonist doesn’t know how pandemics work

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The cartoonist doesn’t know how pandemics work

I mean to be fair that does seem to be a -somehow- ever increasing amount of people over the last two years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Really hope that dapper hat becomes one of the mandatory hamfisted metaphorical devices going forward

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You cannot fight tooth and nail against any government action to prevent pandemic deaths, and then turn around and chastise that same government for failing to prevent pandemic deaths.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

You cannot fight tooth and nail against any government action to prevent pandemic deaths, and then turn around and chastise that same government for failing to prevent pandemic deaths.

You seem to have confused this with the "not a pile of giant racist hypocrites thread*"

*plus Collins, Two Bulls, Pope and a few others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Covid cases and deaths were overwhelmingly in urban blue areas under Trump, and has moved steadily towards rural red areas under the Biden administration.

2021 having more covid deaths is good actually, point Biden.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I wish someone with more skill and patience than me would catalogue all of Branco's accessories for Biden from the 2020-2024 period, then put it all together in one big katamari of artistic hackery.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Republican senators represent 143 million people; Democratic senators represent 184,5 million people. That's 41,5 million people more than the GOP. Manchin represents less than 800 people.

tl;dr: get hosed.

(Yes I do know that the Senate works like this by design, thank you. Ramirez can still go get hosed.)

e. 800 thousand people, because of course it's not just eight hundred. The point still stands.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 28, 2021

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Mikl posted:

Republican senators represent 143 million people; Democratic senators represent 184,5 million people. That's 41,5 million people more than the GOP. Manchin represents less than 800 people.

tl;dr: get hosed.

(Yes I do know that the Senate works like this by design, thank you. Ramirez can still go get hosed.)
I wanted to post something to this effect but you did it better than I could.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Because students in special ed are dumb, you see."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

nailed it. perfect.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Literally just googled Waffle House colors, read red and yellow, then went gently caress it and couldn’t be bothered to hit the images tab

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Alhazred posted:

"Because students in special ed are dumb, you see."
Fun fact about that: I was in an English special ed program till 8th grade because I couldn't speak till I was 3. Eventually someone noticed that I'm kinda good at the language when I started taking Latin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The most Boomer complaint

Waah people aren't at work serving me over the holidays they're so lazy says the guy who slammed out a copy-paste comic in 15 minutes two months ago and took the whole month of December off

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Bible even specifically says that shepherds were out tending to their flocks, which is a pretty big sign that the area isn't desert, because it's kind of hard to graze sheep if you're just surrounded by sand dunes.

I think it really is just "Americans think the entire Middle East is desert," no other explanation makes sense.
Not just Americans--the comic I quoted, for example, is Australian.

What's interesting is that there are any number of discussions about the evolution of depictions of the Magi, as the consensus view about their identity, geographic origin, and in fact number has changed frequently over the years. Similarly the "stuff" associated with depictions of the Nativity--its location (the now-familiar manger or, for example, a cave), whether or not Mary is present and if so what she's doing, the location and behaviour of animals, and so on--have all evolved and there are detailed discussions of that out there as well. But if there's any breakdown of how and when Bethlehem was transformed into a blasted wasteland of shifting sands I've failed to locate it.

For whatever it's worth, many of the first known artistic depictions of the Nativity come from reliefs carved into sarcophagi from around the 4th Century, and it's common for them to depict the Magi with camels:

Later the camels invariably became horses (as befitting the Magi's then-hypothesised identity as Nabateans) before reverting back to camels (more appropriate for our sandy wasteland-wanderers).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SubG posted:

Not just Americans--the comic I quoted, for example, is Australian.

What's interesting is that there are any number of discussions about the evolution of depictions of the Magi, as the consensus view about their identity, geographic origin, and in fact number has changed frequently over the years. Similarly the "stuff" associated with depictions of the Nativity--its location (the now-familiar manger or, for example, a cave), whether or not Mary is present and if so what she's doing, the location and behaviour of animals, and so on--have all evolved and there are detailed discussions of that out there as well. But if there's any breakdown of how and when Bethlehem was transformed into a blasted wasteland of shifting sands I've failed to locate it.

For whatever it's worth, many of the first known artistic depictions of the Nativity come from reliefs carved into sarcophagi from around the 4th Century, and it's common for them to depict the Magi with camels:

Later the camels invariably became horses (as befitting the Magi's then-hypothesised identity as Nabateans) before reverting back to camels (more appropriate for our sandy wasteland-wanderers).

I thought the Magi were usually thought of as coming from somewhere in the Persian empire, which would be consistent with camels.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HootTheOwl posted:

Who was it that kept positing it and eating probes?

The same person who's posting it now. Pog just hasn't been probed for it since 2018, when it became more of a tradition than an annoyance.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SubG posted:

Yeah, I know it's this. It's just that...I mean look, I'm not a Christian. So I don't really have a dog in the fight. But if I actually believed that this guy was the literal saviour of all mankind and he was also literally the creator of all things...I dunno, I think I'd like, you know, look this poo poo up. Like if I literally believed god had a hometown and it still exists, I'd be kinda interested in it.

And the kinda weird thing about the "Bethlehem is in a desert" thing is that it didn't used to be like this. The Adoration of the Magi is a well-worn subject in art, and if anything the tendency used to be to depict Bethlehem as too lushly pastoral. He's an illustration from a book of hours circa the late 14th Century:

One thing to consider is that renaissance artists usually depicted Biblical characters as Europeans in renaissance clothes, so it is not surprising that they would also paint them in European (Italian) sceneries with 15th century castles. It's not like anyone had reference photographs of Palestine, nor did their contemporary audience. After the crusader states failed there weren't many European christians who would have seen the place with their own eyes.

Keep in mind for centuries everyone really believed that Moses had physical horns because the Bible said so. No one stopped to ask "why does this central holy person in the Bible have horns on his head which we connect with banned pagan religions", they just depicted that on canvas and marble as a fact. Nowadays this is usually credited to a mistranslation or some lost meaning of the Hebrew word used in the original scripts.

Michelangelo's Moses

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nenonen posted:

One thing to consider is that renaissance artists usually depicted Biblical characters as Europeans in renaissance clothes, so it is not surprising that they would also paint them in European (Italian) sceneries with 15th century castles. It's not like anyone had reference photographs of Palestine, nor did their contemporary audience. After the crusader states failed there weren't many European christians who would have seen the place with their own eyes.
Pilgrimages were still pretty big.

quote:

Keep in mind for centuries everyone really believed that Moses had physical horns because the Bible said so. No one stopped to ask "why does this central holy person in the Bible have horns on his head which we connect with banned pagan religions", they just depicted that on canvas and marble as a fact. Nowadays this is usually credited to a mistranslation or some lost meaning of the Hebrew word used in the original scripts.
קרן
Beam of light \ horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

States fight for rapid antigen test supplies as federal government sits back (SMH).

Spooner:

Queensland's chief health officer John Gerrard and premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. Queensland's COVID-19 testing rules make 'no scientific sense', expert warns, as tourism industry welcomes easing of regulations (ABC).

Knight:

Scott Boland-led Australia tears through English batters to retain Ashes on stunning morning at MCG (ABC).

Downes:

Leunig:

I guess because most cartoonists are on holidays they're printing Leunig on a Wednesday.