Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There hasn't been any serious patch delays since 5.3 when they were moving everything over to working from home. Outside of that, things have been on a pretty similar schedule to past releases. Obviously, delays can still happen, but I don't see any reason to think there's going to be a 6+ month wait for 6.1 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

wizardofloneliness posted:

There hasn't been any serious patch delays since 5.3 when they were moving everything over to working from home. Outside of that, things have been on a pretty similar schedule to past releases. Obviously, delays can still happen, but I don't see any reason to think there's going to be a 6+ month wait for 6.1 right now.

I would expect a late-January live letter announced within the next two weeks. Then a second live letter in late Feb, with a mid-March release.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Countblanc posted:

What is ostensibly promised for 6.1? PvP changes, alliance raid, was there anything else? Was island sanctuary slated for 6.1 or just a nebulous "after 6.0"?

Australia is also promised for 6.1 the whole continent, to every player.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I did a hunt train today and was kinda annoyed by the multiple instances at first but wow, what a bang for your buck.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It was literally Christ Mas weekend. People have families.

also sales are still suspended so there's nobody new getting ff14 for christmas

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Countblanc posted:

What is ostensibly promised for 6.1? PvP changes, alliance raid, was there anything else? Was island sanctuary slated for 6.1 or just a nebulous "after 6.0"?

They said island sanctuary was starting with 6.1, which means it's probably 6.15.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm still on the main story. I've completed everything up to the Altiascope.

Props to Hermes/Amon/Fanfandiel for being a boss in this expansion three times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who is the most fought character, incidentally? my best guesses are ilberd or zenos.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

that dumbass Imperial Roegadyn kept coming back for more

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Diablos is fought at least three times across three different expansions, making him one of the most recurring villains while still not being that important in the grand scheme of things.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Barreft posted:

Yeah I play stoned out of mind, and so far Summoner seems great for me.

The hardest thing about summoner is when I commit to Ifrit and I'm stuck w/ either doing a dash in for movement or stuck hardcasting 2 spells. (Ruin IV and a Swiftcast help but that requires brain power and only gives 5 seconds).

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Endorph posted:

who is the most fought character, incidentally? my best guesses are ilberd or zenos.

There's 4 encounters with Ranjit. 5 if you wanna include E11. All in one expansion too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

If you count Zodiark, Hermes has been fought four times, and if you count Zodiark EX, five.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Kongming posted:

Diablos is fought at least three times across three different expansions, making him one of the most recurring villains while still not being that important in the grand scheme of things.

I want him to show up again as an ally or something when we do eventually do more Void stuff. Just finally deciding to cut his losses and join up.

He'll be a boss fight anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

If you count Zodiark, Hermes has been fought four times, and if you count Zodiark EX, five.

hasn't ilberd been fought five times? heavensward msq, baelsar's wall, dark knight job quest, shadowbringers msq, endwalker msq.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's part of why the takes about "HERMES AND METEION OUT OF NOWHERE" drive me up the wall. Sure we didn't know who Meteion was by name until 6.0, but we've been fighting dynamis despair manifestations since at least 5.0 (with dancer) and the sharp-eyed have wondered what's up with despair a while now, and in some way or another we've been up against either Hermes/Amon himself directly or fighting the things he deliberately helped create since literally 2.0. Hell he indirectly helped orchestrate the Seventh Umbral Era, I'm certain Lahabrea hit Fandaniel up for deets about how to make sure the Lunar Transmitter would cause Dalamud to crash. Dude's been trying to ruin our day since literally before the relaunch.

So yes, Hermes/Amon/Fandaniel has been a loving rash throughout the entire game that we've had to deal with, and I'm certain we'll be dealing with YET MORE of his poo poo posthumously when we finally go to Meracydia.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do people pug savage raids like extremes? Being able to join groups that are at the same point in progression as you with no pressure is way more fun than having to commit to a group and get locked to the instance when they disband after recruiting in broadcast for an hour like in WoW.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

titan, titan hard, titan egi, titan ex, titan hard gabu ver., titan eden ver.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CJ posted:

Do people pug savage raids like extremes? Being able to join groups that are at the same point in progression as you with no pressure is way more fun than having to commit to a group and get locked to the instance when they disband after recruiting in broadcast for an hour like in WoW.

Somewhat, yes, with the early bosses happening more consistently than later ones. You'll probably find some decent pugs for P1S on day one, but you'll probably have to wait a while to find a good P4S group (people will need to even get that far).

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

CJ posted:

Yes they do. They'll usually call out what PUG strat they're using and what part of the fight they're at. Fun terms include stuff like 'E8S Ilya', E9S Happy Tethers, or E12S Line lions. Joonbob does FANTASTIC visual guides on strats that become popular.

Edit: Pug strats are also usually not the most refined way of doing a mechanic. Usually Pug strats are whatever works Week 1 and doesn't require some 5head uptime for clearing but sometimes things can change. (e.g. E8S people started doing Knockback Mirrors which took me a few pulls to get the timing down after having the fight on farm.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

From a few pages back:

Ferrinus posted:

I'm guessing they want to make each job place at most one debuff on enemies to make things not get weird in 24- or 48- player content.

There was a period in early 2.0 where people were hitting hard caps of the number of debuffs a mob could have and it was loving SMN and SCH over. They had to balloon out the debuffs to what their memory budget for mobs could reasonably allow and it was still kind of a problem.

2.x definitely soured YoshiP (and probably a lot of the design team) to DoTs as a design.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Today in Pandemonium 4 I encountered what was either a deliberate troll or the worst tank ever born, as I managed to steal aggro from the tank as healer, with the boss at 50% health, and keep it for thirty seconds before dying.

He also used the tank limit break (when not on the floor).

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

SpaceDrake posted:

2.x definitely soured YoshiP (and probably a lot of the design team) to DoTs as a design.

Remembering in 2.x how Spell Speed was a dead stat for SMN because dots didn't get any damage benefits from it. So gearing was all kinda of cursed.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

From a few pages back:

There was a period in early 2.0 where people were hitting hard caps of the number of debuffs a mob could have and it was loving SMN and SCH over. They had to balloon out the debuffs to what their memory budget for mobs could reasonably allow and it was still kind of a problem.

Not that it stopped them from giving NIN, AST, MCH and DRK DoTs. And also giving PLD a non-cross-class GCD DoT in HW. Literally every job in HW had at least one DoT, with most having two or more.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Kongming posted:

It's great, we just keep dunking on the jerk and he deserves every single time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It is insane how bad side quest XP is. It should be tripled.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Counter argument: it's fine

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In my scientific opinion, a side quest should give the same amount of experience as a fate. Bing bong so simple

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ivypls posted:

titan, titan hard, titan egi, titan ex, titan hard gabu ver., titan eden ver.

And for a limited time Titan unreal! Edit - isn't he in an ultimate as well?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CJ posted:

yes, with the caveat that almost everyone running savage in PF is a complete liar about where they are in prog

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fiye posted:

Yes they do. They'll usually call out what PUG strat they're using and what part of the fight they're at. Fun terms include stuff like 'E8S Ilya', E9S Happy Tethers, or E12S Line lions. Joonbob does FANTASTIC visual guides on strats that become popular.

Edit: Pug strats are also usually not the most refined way of doing a mechanic. Usually Pug strats are whatever works Week 1 and doesn't require some 5head uptime for clearing but sometimes things can change. (e.g. E8S people started doing Knockback Mirrors which took me a few pulls to get the timing down after having the fight on farm.)

that was such a wild tier. i knocked out e7 week 1, felt like everything was way too easy then i had to actually give up and find a static for clearing e8, that was such a huge jump in difficulty. biggest jump between floors i can remember since hw launch. t9 probably felt similar.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Macaluso posted:

Another person I commissioned to draw my WoL has finished :toot:

:3: This might be my favorite one yet

Just wanna add that this is adorable and just makes me more excited about the two commissions I have out right now. :3:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

re tank responsibilities chat i'm curious how people view dragging the boss back to the center/aligning after mechanics. i've flip flopped a couple times on the matter but currently i'm in the "move the boss as little as possible" part of the cycle so if the boss runs over to the side or turns to do a targeted mechanic i'll usually slot myself into their relative 12 o'clock position asap and just hold them there. maybe pull them out from the wall a bit to give melee dps room to move around or if they have mechanics that benefit from having them centered in the arena when they go off

i'm doing normal content tho so i assume poo poo gets more interesting in ex and savage

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oneiros posted:

re tank responsibilities chat i'm curious how people view dragging the boss back to the center/aligning after mechanics. i've flip flopped a couple times on the matter but currently i'm in the "move the boss as little as possible" part of the cycle so if the boss runs over to the side or turns to do a targeted mechanic i'll usually slot myself into their relative 12 o'clock position asap and just hold them there. maybe pull them out from the wall a bit to give melee dps room to move around or if they have mechanics that benefit from having them centered in the arena when they go off

i'm doing normal content tho so i assume poo poo gets more interesting in ex and savage

I favor recentering/orienting the boss within reason, but I think consistency and not hanging their rear end in the deathwall are the important parts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All tanks should be required to play a melee dps and a healer so they know what good and bad tanking look like. I feel like being a tank gives you almost no feedback on how well you're doing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

eden’s verse was the first tier i progged primarily through PF and it was so misery inducing i never used PF for a single fight in promise

wl2 prog is gaze mirror prog is kb mirror prog is wl1 prog is adds prog is light rampant prog

PF absolutely slaps dick for the freedom of just being able to hop in and out whenever you drat well please but it comes at the cost of consistency which is a price i just don’t feel i’m willing to pay anymore. hard to make meaningful prog when the community gloms into awful strats and can’t even get to where the party was advertised as the prog point.

there isn’t really a point to this post. i’m still just cranky about e8s tbh lmao. ilya lr was loving terrible though come on.

got myself a good static for promise/ultimates and i’m riding this group as long as they have me/until i retire. i highly highly recommend statics if you can find seven other people who share the same goals as you

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think a lot of bosses now have phases where they teleport back to the middle and re-align themselves which are good opportunities to reset positioning without having to do a weird little curving kiting move but :shrug:

from when i play melee dps i mostly appreciate the tank being consistent in a fight. if the boss has turned and i've moved to their rear end then i appreciate it if the tank keeps them pointed that way till the next mechanic but i can also deal with them resetting the boss as long as they do it consistently and also aren't dancing around between mechanics. but i know some people like it when the boss is always returned to facing a certain heading so i dunno

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Mister Olympus posted:

that was such a wild tier. i knocked out e7 week 1, felt like everything was way too easy then i had to actually give up and find a static for clearing e8, that was such a huge jump in difficulty. biggest jump between floors i can remember since hw launch. t9 probably felt similar.

E8S was the first time I had a meltdown because I Just Didn't Understand Light's Rampant and thankfully my static took the time to breakdown poo poo so I can grasp it and actual prog it because holy poo poo that mechanic wasn't fun to figure out because the feedback was knocking a single item off the shelf and the whole cabinets coming crashing down on you.

Kaubocks posted:

got myself a good static for promise/ultimates and i’m riding this group as long as they have me/until i retire. i highly highly recommend statics if you can find seven other people who share the same goals as you

I got myself a good static back in creator and half of us are from those days and we occasionally have to rep 1 person an expansion now but man its good to know you have a group to prog, clear, get a BiS set or two, and be able to gently caress off and do other poo poo until next tier.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oneiros posted:

re tank responsibilities chat i'm curious how people view dragging the boss back to the center/aligning after mechanics.

it extremely depends on the encounter tbh. i am a strong supporter of recentering the boss and facing them north again, with the caveat that i’m doing everything in my power to prevent them from having left center in the first place. if recentering the boss would require spinning it then it’s not worth the trouble. i more highly prioritize facing consistency so melees know where to hit their positionals. if the boss’s rear end is in the wall then gently caress it, sprint, make one big move and get it over with asap.

for most bosses you don’t really have to worry that much about it. some bosses teleport back to center of their own accord quite frequently.

an example of a boss worth positioning is, i feel, P3N. it only jumps back to center sometimes, and it’s easy to drag it somewhere by accident during the big circle fire aoes or the fire that sections off the arena. first on the priority list is make the required dodges as close to the boss as possible so it never moves in the first place. if you moved it about halfway out of center, it’s likely fine to just leave it there for the time being until it recenters itself as long as you consistently face the boss in the same direction. most people don’t care where the boss is more than they can just knowing where it’s looking. if you ended up with the boss at the wall, i’d make the sprint to just pull it back to center.

last P3N i did i was off tanking. the main tank was doing laps around the arena to dodge aoes and i literally could not predict where the boss was going to be. if i don’t know where the boss is going to be, that makes attacking it and doing mechanics simultaneously pretty dang hard. it was frustrating enough that i just provoked, recentered, and stayed in control.

tl; dr because i’m rambling — do what you can to avoid the boss moving at all in the first place. if the boss is noticeably out of center due to mechanics or your own positioning, make your movements quick with a little spinning as possible. boss placement and facing consistency is the most important thing. signed: someone playing monk this past week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I've always drifted in and out of statics tier by tier, so sometimes I would start prog with a static then PFed on my own time after-hours and ended up clearing on PF weeks before the static. Other times, like Verse, I had to give up on PF midway through. Over time I've gotten less and less consistent in being able to do those hours all the time, so PF has become the answer. Even then, a consistent long-term static is a much rarer thing than all that, in my experience.