Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bettany would be ideal for Bonhart actually. Mikkelsen is too good looking, but Bettany could absolutely do sinister fish-eyed monster. Idk if he could sell the character as a sword master though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Get Cary Elwes for Bonhart something involving swords, if he's up for it.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Was thinking about A Knights Tale

0 vampires in the movie, but I'll allow it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

itry posted:

Get Cary Elwes for Bonhart something involving swords, if he's up for it.

0 vampires in the movie, but I'll allow it.

Ooh, Bettany as Regis would be fun

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Honestly they just needed the casting director for True Blood so we could get a all man-meat set of witchers.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:yeah:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

that'd be dope. not jaskier tho, i like the current guy they've got, he's doing good work

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Really I think the issue is that the second seasons isn’t really a story so much as a loose collection of only marginally connected vignettes.
I know there’s supposed to be a throughline but it meanders a lot and the way the show chooses to spend it’s screen time is dumb and inefficient.

Also, the instant travel thing has been mentioned a lot I am sure.
The ride to Kaer Morhen is apparently a few minutes, since apparently Yennefer didn’t have time for that whole conversation before they got there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Really I think the issue is that the second seasons isn’t really a story so much as a loose collection of only marginally connected vignettes.
I know there’s supposed to be a throughline but it meanders a lot and the way the show chooses to spend it’s screen time is dumb and inefficient.

Also, the instant travel thing has been mentioned a lot I am sure.
The ride to Kaer Morhen is apparently a few minutes, since apparently Yennefer didn’t have time for that whole conversation before they got there.

Still gonna pretend she spent days or maybe even weeks yelling "Geralt wait" the whole time while riding behind him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like to think it was like the simpsons scene where someone takes Marge on a helicopter ride and she mentions that he didnt say a word for an hour during the scene transition.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

That not at all the problem, there was way too much emphasis on plot and dump politics and if they just made a bunch of cool monster fight episodes it would have been much better.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Witcher Season 2 drinking game: Take a drink every time

• Characters sit in a semi-circle and talk without moving their bodies
  • Characters sit in a circle and talk without moving their bodies
  • Many characters sit in rows and watch someone doing something in front of them
  • Two characters talk to each other about things they both already know

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just had the random thought that Paul Bettany would make a great Geralt, a better Jaskier, and drat near any other character in this universe.
Get Paul Bettany

I’d rather see Paul Bettany as Stefan Skellen.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I am 4 episodes into the season and digging it so far. Feels like a nice improvement from season one. Good mix of being a serious drama and a goofy fantasy action. But my expectations for the show are similar to shows like Spartacus in that I just want to see some cool folks kill some monsters and tell a decent story.

One question, what did Geralt find in the ceiling of Ciri's room? What was the importance of that?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also, the soundtrack to season 2 kicks rear end. They really nailed that aspect so far.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bip Roberts posted:

That not at all the problem, there was way too much emphasis on plot and dump politics and if they just made a bunch of cool monster fight episodes it would have been much better.

I’ve said this many times. But that’s not the GAME OF THRONES model soooooo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Niwrad posted:

One question, what did Geralt find in the ceiling of Ciri's room? What was the importance of that?

Keep watching.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SPOILER REMOVED

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sorry that was an answer on what Geralt saw; didn't realise you were part way through

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Do people have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to the books? They are mostly non-stop exposition followed by Geralt monologing about how poo poo politics can be.

I thought season two was fairly entertaining but it could have used another episode like Boar house.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

Keep watching.

Thanks. 4 episodes in and wasn't sure if I missed something big besides these things are sort of drawn to her.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Do people have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to the books? They are mostly non-stop exposition followed by Geralt monologing about how poo poo politics can be.

I thought season two was fairly entertaining but it could have used another episode like Boar house.

im rereading them right now and theyre better than i remember and i remember loving them

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

Witcher Season 2 drinking game: Take a drink every time

• Characters sit in a semi-circle and talk without moving their bodies
  • Characters sit in a circle and talk without moving their bodies
  • Many characters sit in rows and watch someone doing something in front of them
  • Two characters talk to each other about things they both already know

• Jump cut

Just like Wheel of Time loves their dissolves

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Use wipe cuts you cowards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's a star wars thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I disagree tbh. The most memorable parts of the novels are for sure extended dialogue scenes and character stuff like the titular letter. I can’t think of too many scenes that are purely expository. Blood of Elves starts with a big rear end diegetic “the story so far” recap from Dandelion for everyone who didn’t read all the short stories, but after that?

Imo the novels do have some structural problems and are not totally suitable to be adapted into tv storytelling. It’s obvious they were written one a year. Each book is pretty brief, not every one has a strong sense of direction, and not a whole lot happens in some of them. Before this season I wondered if they were going to try to combine multiple books into single seasons. I suspect though they’re just going to go for semi-original material instead. As someone in the thread already noted, the most fun stuff in the show is when all three of the leads are together, but the rest of the books is basically them very much not being together because times are tough.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
show's completely off rails at this point, practically a separate story entirely. will be fine treating it as something even less related than Hexer, but it's a bit disappointing. should have just consolidated the already good story beats instead of coming up with a new set of plots and changing motives just to get characters to the same set pieces.

they removed the letter for christ's sake

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought this was a bit of a let down compared to Season 1. I still enjoyed it but it was a bit of a let down.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Too early to tell but it could be like the GOT model with the second-to-last episode getting all the show's attention except it's the first episode of every season.

If it keeps this up and runs for a while you will have a REALLY good show where you can watch every E01 and kind of skip the rest.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ghouldaddy07 posted:

No, the books have amazing dialogue and character moments that really stand out. I don't think the show needs to be a carbon copy, but it's a shame that the showrunner didn't have an aide go through the books with a highlighter saying "include this part" for the show, because they have completely tossed out several really standout scenes and replaced them essentially with one-liners that carry no weight. See: 'dear friend', and Ciri asking Yennefer what is between her and Geralt.

Removing Yennefer training Ciri at the temple really is a travesty, as now we have a relationship where Yen is protecting Ciri just 'because' at the end of the show, after almost betraying/sacrificing her for selfish reasons, instead of one built on mutual respect and actual caring. It drastically changes their dynamic, for the worse.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Kaedric posted:

No, the books have amazing dialogue and character moments that really stand out. I don't think the show needs to be a carbon copy, but it's a shame that the showrunner didn't have an aide go through the books with a highlighter saying "include this part" for the show, because they have completely tossed out several really standout scenes and replaced them essentially with one-liners that carry no weight. See: 'dear friend', and Ciri asking Yennefer what is between her and Geralt.

Removing Yennefer training Ciri at the temple really is a travesty, as now we have a relationship where Yen is protecting Ciri just 'because' at the end of the show, after almost betraying/sacrificing her for selfish reasons, instead of one built on mutual respect and actually caring. It drastically changes their dynamic, for the worse.

I was a tad hyperbolic. The books do have lots of positives but I don't think the first four lend themselves one book one season adaptation.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just give me Henry Cavill slaying men and monsters with swords and such please and training Ciri to slay men and monsters with swords

maybe every now and then have Yennefer appear to slay men and monsters with magic

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm a tad interested in how much better reviews are for this season. The first, early reviewers made it out to be a flaming pile of gar age. Now they're almost universally positive to one degree or another. Sure there are some changes to fix bad production quality but this wasn't what the negative ratings were about.

So what happened in a year's time? Did the press get nerdier? Were they put on Netflix's naughty list? Are they full of bs?

I would almost suspect they decided to give good reviews since the fans will like it anyways and the poor scores perplexed people. But wouldn't it make more sense to take the contrarian position to maximize engagement?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wheel of Time has got like 80% on RT despite being really quite badly made, with generally bad dialogue and writing all round. I think maybe fantasy series get a lot more leeway from reviewers than other series, or maybe this is just how TV reviewing works now so if you're not a total dumpster fire you get 70-80% of reviewers giving you 4/5 stars? Perhaps it has to do with a general decline in the quality of writing in streaming content or whatever.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

El Grillo posted:

Wheel of Time has got like 80% on RT despite being really quite badly made, with generally bad dialogue and writing all round. I think maybe fantasy series get a lot more leeway from reviewers than other series, or maybe this is just how TV reviewing works now so if you're not a total dumpster fire you get 70-80% of reviewers giving you 4/5 stars? Perhaps it has to do with a general decline in the quality of writing in streaming content or whatever.

Well the first series of the Witcher really made reviewers gag for some reason. But yes there are plenty of shoes you wouldn't expect to be Certified Fresh (Eat Fresh) but everyone gives it a half-hearted pass of 3/5.

Also yes unless I am just getting old and yelling about 'music these days!!' to clouds we are now well over the Golden Age of Television.

Right now I'm super looking forward to Euphoria SE02. Is there a thread for that show?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Season 1 is very interesting from a digital marketing POV because the advance reviews were all terrible “this show is camp, this show looks cheap”, but the show had great twitter buzz from the first day it was on Netflix and suddenly a lot of reviews come out saying “actually I thought it wasn’t that bad”, and now by season 2 the nerd opinion industrial complex has agreed it is good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

skasion posted:

Season 1 is very interesting from a digital marketing POV because the advance reviews were all terrible “this show is camp, this show looks cheap”, but the show had great twitter buzz from the first day it was on Netflix and suddenly a lot of reviews come out saying “actually I thought it wasn’t that bad”, and now by season 2 the nerd opinion industrial complex has agreed it is good.

Camp owns. Season 2 was worse for having less camp IMO.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Just finished and I thought it was great!

Ive played all the games extensively and have read none of the books. I thought there was some primo A+ witchering here.

“Lets see what what the local SA thread has to say about it,” I say to myself. Big mistake.

You book readers are insufferable. They could cater to your every whim and it still wouldnt be enough.

At this point I hope in S3 Geralt becomes a Santa Monica real estate agent, just to incense you all even more.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
i think i'd like the show more if it wasn't so wishy washy about its committal to the books. like they're sticking pretty close at times and then there will be a major deviation, and i'll ask myself, well why did they do that, and the answer i always arrive at is either they thought the audience was too stupid, it'd take too long to convey, or they didnt get it themselves

i kinda just wish they'd done a series set in the witcher universe so they could just do whatever the heck they want, and if it was successful you could have a second series that stuck more closely to the books. but people love henry cavill geralt, so i dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The entire Baba Yaga plot should've been condensed into a monster of the week episode where Yen takes over the supernatural detective duties from Geralt because he's too busy guarding Ciri. Yen deducing that Francesca's dream visitations of Ithiline were phony was cleverly done, if the rest of the episode was gathering evidence to prove this to Fringilla and Francesca it would've been a lot better than it meandering another 3 hours throughout the rest of the season and causing cascading problems for the future because of how it changes other character's relationships.