Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think with bosses that auto center it can still be a good idea to move them back manually because the boss suddenly teleporting a long way will lose more uptime than manual movement. But obviously this depends on how far the boss needs to move and how long you have before it auto centers. I'm also generally a proponent of leaving the boss whatever direction they're facing instead of facing them north unless you have a good reason not to. But some people seem to really struggle with boss relative positioning for mechanics somehow and it's easier to just take the path of least resistance in PF sometimes even when it's not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Little thing about the final MSQ trial:

So the Endsinger does this big wipe move that needs to be tank LB'd, and then rewinds time to do it again before you have enough time to recover your limit break to tank LB that one as well. When I played this for the first time as a tank, I had my co-tank type 'uh wait what' in the chat which made me and everyone else panic, scrambling looking around for some sort of mechanic to get out of this (like some sort of aether collector to be destroyed similar to ultima weapon in void ark). Lo and behold we got destroyed but then were saved by the power of prayer, and my co-tank admitted at the end that he had done it before and just likes to hype it up for first-timers to sell the bit since someone else did it for their group as well.

From then on, whenever I get the Endsinger in trial roulette and I see some first-timers in the group, I like to do the same thing by being all kayfabe, saying things like 'uh oh' or 'well, that's a wipe' or 'dpsdpsdpsdpsdps' to sell the bit: maybe it's a little cringe, but I thought it was cute and wondered if other people had a similar experience and continue the legacy as well.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

FutureCop posted:

So the Endsinger does this big wipe move that needs to be tank LB'd, and then rewinds time to do it again before you have enough time to recover your limit break to tank LB that one as well. When I played this for the first time as a tank, I had my co-tank type 'uh wait what' in the chat which made me and everyone else panic, scrambling looking around for some sort of mechanic to get out of this (like some sort of aether collector to be destroyed similar to ultima weapon in void ark). Lo and behold we got destroyed but then were saved by the power of prayer, and my co-tank admitted at the end that he had done it before and just likes to hype it up for first-timers to sell the bit since someone else did it for their group as well.

From then on, whenever I get the Endsinger in trial roulette and I see some first-timers in the group, I like to do the same thing by being all kayfabe, saying things like 'uh oh' or 'well, that's a wipe' or 'dpsdpsdpsdpsdps' to sell the bit: maybe it's a little cringe, but I thought it was cute and wondered if other people had a similar experience and continue the legacy as well.

that's really neat and I hope I see that some time. My first time through had a few ironic "that's a wipe oops" in chat, but it was pretty obvious from context that people were joking

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Good morning. It's time to cry.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

FutureCop posted:

You can also LB3 when killing the add to scare the people who don't know it refills when you kill it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Endwalked, finally.

I feel Shadowbringers was more consistently good, but there is a lot good here, and I feel they stuck the landing as an ending to the current saga, for the most part. Honestly, I am not sure if we needed a fight with Zenos; I was hoping for a "Oh gently caress off *leaves*" response, but it was a cool fight at least. I do like that after Fandaniel is taken out, he is portrayed as mostly a pathetic nuisance (albeit a powerful one that can't be ignored).

EDIT: Now that I think on it it's kind of a minor gripe. Certainly a fitting conclusion to Zenos at least.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 28, 2021

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tank chestpiece get :toot: It looks cool so I'm gonna build a new glam around it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJ posted:

You can also LB3 when killing the add to scare the people who don't know it refills when you kill it.

WHAT

I want to stop eating breakfast and just go queue up for that trial immediately now

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It took me forever to get the TT card so I was running this a lot.

Just beware: I had multiple jumpers whenever I did this lol

derra fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 28, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Getting everything up to 90 now and it's time for Monk. Years of Video Game Knowledge(TM) have taught me that without even reading the Blitz numbers there should be a weak one that is AOE, a stronger one that is single-target, and a strongest one, and since you must pick two to complete it naturally you would vary which ones you pick whether you're in AOE or single-target.

Imagine my surprise.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Counter argument: it's fine

Counter counter: Nah. They should either make side quests more rewarding, or just seriously cut and condense. There's always a few solid sidequest chains that have some effort put in and give some lore / background / flavor. Then you get like a dozen "go here and click on some grass" "cool thanks" Like sidequests broadly feel like the fit no niche. They're not really great on your first playthrough since MSQ gives you enough, then on alt jobs, they give so little exp, they're still not even that great to do during a queue over fates.

Absolutely not high on the list of stuff that needs addressing, but it sure feels like a weird vestigial part of the game.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

CJ posted:

oh my GOD

I was WHMing a run of this the other day, and everyone was particularly bad about not getting out of the planet explosions, so I had to healer LB3 at 60%. I watched that bar fill up the rest of the run, and it -barely- filled right before the tank needed it. I had no idea that killing the add auto-filled it. I was sweating.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wylie posted:

oh my GOD

I was WHMing a run of this the other day, and everyone was particularly bad about not getting out of the planet explosions, so I had to healer LB3 at 60%. I watched that bar fill up the rest of the run, and it -barely- filled right before the tank needed it. I had no idea that killing the add auto-filled it. I was sweating.

It's actually a neat / dirty trick that comes up several other times. If there's an add phase immediately before a "use an LB3 or die" boss mechanic, the adds themselves will usually fill the LB bar when you kill them. A whole lot of people don't know this though and will freak the gently caress out if they see you use an LB on the adds.

For example, the two big adds in A12 right before Alex does his ult will each fill half the LB bar when killed, iirc

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 28, 2021

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Getting everything up to 90 now and it's time for Monk. Years of Video Game Knowledge(TM) have taught me that without even reading the Blitz numbers there should be a weak one that is AOE, a stronger one that is single-target, and a strongest one, and since you must pick two to complete it naturally you would vary which ones you pick whether you're in AOE or single-target.

Imagine my surprise.

They're all single target with fall-off AoE? And sice you need one Lunar and one Solar you do one of both before the big one?

Am I missing something here?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Oxyclean posted:

Counter counter: Nah. They should either make side quests more rewarding, or just seriously cut and condense. There's always a few solid sidequest chains that have some effort put in and give some lore / background / flavor. Then you get like a dozen "go here and click on some grass" "cool thanks" Like sidequests broadly feel like the fit no niche. They're not really great on your first playthrough since MSQ gives you enough, then on alt jobs, they give so little exp, they're still not even that great to do during a queue over fates.

Absolutely not high on the list of stuff that needs addressing, but it sure feels like a weird vestigial part of the game.

I've been making a point of doing every sidequest in Endwalker before moving on with the next MSQ beat and it has definitely taken a lot of time. It's nice to have a clean map but it can be deflating sometimes when the story is getting good and then here's 10 things to do, with a couple of aether currents and maybe one quest that keeps going for three or four or five more beats as part of a little self-contained story. I don't even remember some of them.

I will say, one quest in Sharlayan is kind of BS. The one where you need to solve riddles to get keys to unlock a box. The reward is initially given as a green ??? present, which usually signals something kind of neat, but then it turns out to just be a ring coffer.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

derra posted:

They're all single target with fall-off AoE? And since you need one Lunar and one Solar you do both before the big one?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HackensackBackpack posted:

I've been making a point of doing every sidequest in Endwalker before moving on with the next MSQ beat and it has definitely taken a lot of time. It's nice to have a clean map but it can be deflating sometimes when the story is getting good and then here's 10 things to do, with a couple of aether currents and maybe one quest that keeps going for three or four or five more beats as part of a little self-contained story. I don't even remember some of them.

I will say, one quest in Sharlayan is kind of BS. The one where you need to solve riddles to get keys to unlock a box. The reward is initially given as a green ??? present, which usually signals something kind of neat, but then it turns out to just be a ring coffer.

I remember that quest and being very disappointed. I didn't even get the reference to be fair, but that that was the reward was lame as hell.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

derra posted:

They're all single target with fall-off AoE? And sice you need one Lunar and one Solar you do one of both before the big one?

There are three techniques to pick from that give nadi: Big + Aoe, Bigger + Aoe, and...weak single-target one

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Eimi posted:

I remember that quest and being very disappointed. I didn't even get the reference to be fair, but that that was the reward was lame as hell.

I think it's supposed to be Thancred's espionage teacher putting you through the paces. I'll admit, I scoured the city looking for these supposed key holders and didn't quite get what I was supposed to do. I eventually looked it up because it stumped me. I, the player, failed, but my WoL at least got to look smart, I guess.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

There are three techniques to pick from that give nadi: Big + Aoe, Bigger + Aoe, and...weak single-target one

The weak one is the equivalent of the ninja bunny, it means you hosed up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Eimi posted:

Yeah, it's an easy reference to miss if you didn't read the side story One Name, One Promise. I was initially disappointed in the reward, but after a second I got over it because it made sense. The reward was inside the locked box, so of course we don't know what it is.

As for the objectives, I didn't find them too difficult outside of one, really. The hints were good enough to narrow down the areas to a handful, and then there was another hint at the location (except the one where all you had to do was talk to the person). The only one I had trouble with was having to say both golden and acorn. I got them individually, but for some reason didn't think to try saying both

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just assumed i needed to find things. I had absolutely no idea the quest was expecting me to emote or /say. I didn't even assume that was going to be in the scope of the quest. Since a few other "there will be no help" quests in the xpac don't really go beyond making you find something on your own by playing hot and cold.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Ibblebibble posted:

The weak one is the equivalent of the ninja bunny, it means you hosed up.

Yes I see that. I'm saying that's not what most people upon hearing about the system would expect.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oxyclean posted:

I just assumed i needed to find things. I had absolutely no idea the quest was expecting me to emote or /say. I didn't even assume that was going to be in the scope of the quest. Since a few other "there will be no help" quests in the xpac don't really go beyond making you find something on your own by playing hot and cold.

My expectation every time that notification pops up is still along the lines of the one from ARR, so I was preparing for some annoyances. None have come close to being as obtuse as that one, thankfully.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That quest was some hot nonsense even as someone who enjoys puzzle and riddle stuff like that, and I fear and admire anyone who did it legit.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Kanfy posted:

That quest was some hot nonsense even as someone who enjoys puzzle and riddle stuff like that, and I fear and admire anyone who did it legit.

Normally when I give up and look up a guide for stuff like this my reaction upon reading the guide is "oh duh how could I be so stupid?" In this case I absolutely cannot fathom how anyone would be able to do it without a guide so I'll second the fear and admiration.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kanfy posted:

I've seen that a few times, but I'm not getting it myself. I often give up on stuff like this pretty quickly and just look up the solution, but didn't have the desire to until after spending about 5 minutes with the nutkin just /saying stuff.

Personally just trying to understand, not saying you're wrong because you're obviously not with it coming a few times, but what did you find nonsensical?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I admit I looked up the solution to that one, mostly because I was tired of running around Sharlayan for 15 minutes without finding who I was looking for. The sleepy student by the sea was standing in a spot where they're basically impossible to see from most angles unless you walk along the cliff edge. Also the nutkin's location hint wasn't very helpful either.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I had a general question about the Endwalker MSQ (spoilers for the start of the third zone of Endwalker)

Will we be seeing the other Class/Job trainers at some point? I noticed the Dragoon, Machinist, Marauder, and Pugilist trainers in the big cutscene with all of the delegations, but my wife was a little disappointed that none of the class trainers she had were there. Will we be seeing any of the PLD/DRK/DNC trainers in any capacity? Or a more general question - does every job trainer make an appearance if you have the training? Or is it limited to a select few jobs only?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not enjoying Reaper quite as much as I thought I would. Part of it might be down to me struggling to find comfortable keybinds for everything, or not being 80 yet so I don't yet have Enshroud, but still. I'm gonna keep leveling it since I'm also leveling Trusts at the same time (a thing I never bothered with in Shadowbringers) but it's got me wondering what melee DPS I'd like more. That's the role I have by far the least experience playing and I don't know if I've found a melee DPS that clicks with me yet.

How are people liking Endwalker Monk?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Re - the current ex trials, 83 ex is by far easier. 90% of it is literally just stand on top of the person who knows 83ex.

89ex by requires a lot more thought and reaction. Positioning changes a lot depending on which attacks get used You've got Areole vs Lateral Areole to deal with. You've got the water crystallize spitting you into light parties right before a hard movement phase. You've got the 3 crystal split that a first timer will 100% gently caress up the first time they see it. You've got Akh Morne into the scatter + double tankbuster. it can be kind of a lot to figure out.

If you don't want to run with party finder pugs, you can always try to get a goon group going. I've not had much issue getting groups running most evening on primetime and I've got no qualms or compunction about bringing blind newbies. I've taught the 89ex fight probably a half dozen times now. There's also some static and semi - static groups that form out of goon ranks you might be able to get in on.

If you run into a guy named Reduced Cholesterol in DGKK or the goon discord, that's me. If someone calls for one of the ex trials either in fc chat or pings me in discord and I'm free I'll probably join.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arrrthritis posted:

I had a general question about the Endwalker MSQ (spoilers for the start of the third zone of Endwalker)

Will we be seeing the other Class/Job trainers at some point? I noticed the Dragoon, Machinist, Marauder, and Pugilist trainers in the big cutscene with all of the delegations, but my wife was a little disappointed that none of the class trainers she had were there. Will we be seeing any of the PLD/DRK/DNC trainers in any capacity? Or a more general question - does every job trainer make an appearance if you have the training? Or is it limited to a select few jobs only?

Most of the class/job trainers don't have direct cameos in Endwalker.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Arrrthritis posted:

Level 80+ all:

you got most of them - the whm trainer also plays a part on the gridania side (yeah it's the kid with the lovely bowl cut lmao). DRK/PLD/DNC don't show up, alas.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i mean, the og dark trainer doesn't actually exist and everyone would rather forget that pld existed at all

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Job trainers in EW: There's a cutscene where the DRK 50-60 gang cameo, next to a cutscene where the RDM trainer shows up.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Leraika posted:

Level 80+ all:

you got most of them - the whm trainer also plays a part on the gridania side (yeah it's the kid with the lovely bowl cut lmao). DRK/PLD/DNC don't show up, alas.

DRK/PLD/RDM trainers do show up, but only as background cameos.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

OhFunny posted:

DRK/PLD/RDM trainers do show up, but only as background cameos.

mind telling me where? I don't really recall but most of the back half of the story I did in one setting with a blinding headache so my memory's a bit spotty

edit so as to not double post: speaking of drk, I just actually got around to doing the level 80 capstone quest for it (I did a lot of classes without the finish quest in my gotta get amaro rush) and god. what a way to elevate a simple concept. I wish I liked drk more/there was going to be more drk quest writing because what a fantastic questline the whole way through

Leraika fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 28, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Talking about class trainers, I am extremely disappointed none of the Astro folks made a cameo. Like if Leveva was going to have a shot of returning to Sharlayan it seems like now would be the time. Do any of them show up at all in the Ishgard role quests?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Leraika posted:

mind telling me where? I don't really recall but most of the back half of the story I did in one setting with a blinding headache so my memory's a bit spotty

edit so as to not double post: speaking of drk, I just actually got around to doing the level 80 capstone quest for it (I did a lot of classes without the finish quest in my gotta get amaro rush) and god. what a way to elevate a simple concept. I wish I liked drk more/there was going to be more drk quest writing because what a fantastic questline the whole way through

I think it's the scene where the bunny boy notices the despair disease starting in Ishgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TGLT posted:

Talking about class trainers, I am extremely disappointed none of the Astro folks made a cameo. Like if Leveva was going to have a shot of returning to Sharlayan it seems like now would be the time. Do any of them show up at all in the Ishgard role quests?

Nope. Not even Hilda.