Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I haven’t had a whole lot of time with my 552 but drat DS games run and look great on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was actually pleasantly surprised with how well FFTA2 ran on the 351. Not the most comfortable way to play it but you barely need both screens at once in that anyway.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Got a analogue pocket on the way :toot:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If you're like me and ordered an RG552 without the case and don't want to wait for one to arrive in 2 weeks, they're on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LPZ9XFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anbernic does have the US as a shipping option on their site, but I've personally never used it to know how reliable it may be. That Amazon listing is Prime eligible and only two more dollars.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you're like me and ordered an RG552 without the case and don't want to wait for one to arrive in 2 weeks, they're on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LPZ9XFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anbernic does have the US as a shipping option on their site, but I've personally never used it to know how reliable it may be. That Amazon listing is Prime eligible and only two more dollars.

Thanks for this!

So I have been playing some N64 today (Mario party) and it so far runs and looks really great!

I’m very happy with this purchase so far.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retroid Pocket 2+ is starting to find its way into everyone's hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBelR1EiXAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Jtzj3wcbI

MarcusSA posted:

Here is a review of the RP2+. Looks pretty drat solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ituH3EvRAy0

Retroid Pocket 2+ kit upgrades as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-luFXD1gtjA&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ93W9yJigQ

Also an RG552 Guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJPYL6aOwE

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 27, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for that 552 video I’ll need to download it and try and set everything up tomorrow on the plane.

My RP2+ should be here next week and my Miyoo mini is also coming next week lol.

Edit anyone know why ETA took down his 552 review? It was gone when I looked like yesterday.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 27, 2021

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

I got my RP2+ upgrade kit and the touchscreen on the 23rd. The upgrade kit was easy enough to install, and the plexiglass frame they give you to put your old board in is a nice touch. It came with a little power adapter board that I think is meant to let you use your old RP2 board like a console plugged into power and a screen, but I haven't tried that out to see if it works. Using the Retroid Launcher and without fiddling with any settings, N64 and Dreamcast run well now, but performance on anything Gamecube and more recent is dicey at best. I'm super happy with it! The RP2+ performs the way I wanted the RP2 to, with much better software support. The Retroid Launcher beats the poo poo out of any of the fiddly launcher setups that took an afternoon to set up properly on the original board.

Two things I didn't see mentioned skimming through the videos The United States just posted:
  • The upgrade kit only comes with replacements for the face buttons, d-pad, and right stick. I got the kit with white buttons because I thought they looked good with the funtastic shell in Taki's early RP2+ videos, and now I'm stuck with mis-matched face and menu/shoulder buttons. Fortunately, retroid sells a full button replacement kit, so I put in an order for one of those.

• There's no good way to remove the screen from your RP2 to install the RP2+ touch screen. There aren't any good access points where you could start prying the screen out of the case without damaging the case- the plastic around and behind the screen are very thin. I ended up doing a combination of prying the screen from around the edges and pulling on it using a suction cup, and accidentally pulled the old screen clean in half.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 552 is expensive but I’ll be damned if games don’t look fantastic on this screen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So far I've figured out

INTREPID - $5 off

ANYTHINGINTHISVIDEOCOULDBEACODE - $2.50 off

Somebody in the comments found a $50 code but it's since been deactivated

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Just got my shipping information for my RP2+. Any idea about the average time shipping? Couple weeks?

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

beep-beep car is go posted:

Just got my shipping information for my RP2+. Any idea about the average time shipping? Couple weeks?

Depends on whether you picked DHL or 4PX for shipping. With DHL mine arrived 5 days after getting the notification email

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

We went with 4px. So I’m guessing a couple weeks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yeah it’s gonna be two weeks. I got mine a few days ago as well.

I’ve ordered too drat many of these handhelds. My wife isn’t gonna be happy. She’s gonna use the 552 on the plane tomorrow but I’m gonna have a hard time justifying getting the other two lol.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

my rp2+ upgrade kit came in today; i got mine the first or second day orders were open so i expect anyone else who ordered theirs will see it soon

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Fate has chosen me and I now own an Analogue Pocket.

Using it has made me realize the "benefits" of emulation and the frontends or OSes dedicated to it. None of them are fair to compare; like it's not fair to say an Android frontend looks better than the UI on a flashcart when the flashcart is severely limited (as far as themeing or really any general UI/UX stuff) but Android is essentially limitless. It's all weird stuff like that that makes me think about how someone could prefer these emulation devices over FPGA stuff. Especially when considering Anbernic's build quality and Analogue being the literal only FPGA handheld out right now that is, by design, not as powerful as these software emulation handhelds are.

That said, I did not expect the Pocket screen to be as nice as it is. Granted, it is specifically made to look incredible, being 10x (or 100x if you're wild) the size of the original GB resolution. The RG552 is, as I think RGC said, a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Which isn't really that much of a problem, the screen still looks amazing. The Pocket is just specifically made to look incredible and be a master of the handhelds its targeting.

Another weird thing is that playing vertically on the Pocket feels fine and comfortable to me. I don't like playing vertical consoles and have brought it up here before that my 351V collects dust solely because of this, and my DMG and GBC are essentially trophy pieces for the same reason. I genuinely don't know what it is.

Final thing is that I kinda wish "we" had different ways of describing plastic when talking about electronics. The RG552 plastic feels premium, maybe the best plastic any company could have used. However, on the flip side, the Switch Lite, iPhone 5c, cheaper Android phones also use plastic and are specifically made to be cheaper feeling or save money for the company...by being cheaper. But there's an absolutely massive gap between those plastics and whatever Anbernic and Analogue use for their handhelds. They both feel and function as solid pieces of hardware, nothing about them feels flimsy or makes me think "I wish this was made of stronger materials."

Lots of abstract thoughts, but I am really impressed with the Pocket. More than I thought I would be. I really do enjoy the 552 as well. It's not the most powerful, but it is possibly my favorite software emulation handheld.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've become somewhat overloaded with the amount of models out there at the moment from various manufacturers and trying to parse the performance of them.

Can someone give me some guidance - what should I be looking at if what I want is PS1, N64 and Saturn emulation and I'm not concerned with any other systems?
I've got a MiSTer for 8bit/16bit stuff and an Analogue Pocket on the way for a good chunk of handheld stuff so this would be more or less filling in some gaps.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I've become somewhat overloaded with the amount of models out there at the moment from various manufacturers and trying to parse the performance of them.

Can someone give me some guidance - what should I be looking at if what I want is PS1, N64 and Saturn emulation and I'm not concerned with any other systems?
I've got a MiSTer for 8bit/16bit stuff and an Analogue Pocket on the way for a good chunk of handheld stuff so this would be more or less filling in some gaps.

N64 is gonna be weird no matter what you get. It’s never been something developers have perfected solely because of how weird its hardware is.

For PS1 and Saturn though, the new RG552 and Retroid Pocket 2+ are probably your best bet. RP2+ is cheaper ($100), smaller screen, and handedly worse build quality BUT more powerful and its smaller form is not necessarily a downside.

RG552 ($230)has can run Linux or Android, but if you use Android, you can get better compatibility out of the available N64 emulators there. Worth noting the RG552 can be bought on Amazon with Prime now too if you’re okay paying like $30 extra over straight from Anbernic.

I think there may be some leeway into getting a Vita too. I haven’t really researched into Vita stuff, but I think it runs PS1 games “natively” through its PSP mode or whatever. I’m honestly not sure how much better or worse this would be than just getting some emulation device though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'd been considering a Vita but here in Aus they seem to have gone through a price spike recently and be a little scarce on the ground.
I suspect at a price point I'm willing to meet, RP2+ is probably going to be what I'm after. Should be a Retro Game Corps review in a few days that'll help me decide.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In terms of plastic quality, we can use metrics like "Super Nintendo" which is just great overall and then Gameboy which is just "Indestructible".

Down to measures like "Joycon innards" which break when you sneeze at them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Why would you even sneeze on your joycon innards?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think the internals of a lot of electronics get issues if you sneeze on them.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Re Vita: don’t drop the money if it’s going to be a purely retro emulation device for you. If you want to play Vita, PSP and PSX, there’s none better. N64 emulation especially is fraught. It was impossible until earlier this year and now it only…kind of works.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

I think the internals of a lot of electronics get issues if you sneeze on them.
How about "if you look at them wrong" then?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mode 7 posted:

Pretty much anything these days can play PS1, but Saturn hardware was notoriously hosed up even back in its day, so anything that plays it decently is going to do also play dreamcast, gamecube, psp and a little ps2

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

flavor.flv posted:

Pretty much anything these days can play PS1, but Saturn hardware was notoriously hosed up even back in its day, so anything that plays it decently is going to do also play dreamcast, gamecube, psp and a little ps2

Jon Burton (of Traveller's Tales) shed some light on how hosed it was in a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4Q8Dn6Ndo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPaNNiB2H-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU2UoxLtIm8

I can't imagine how you go about trying to replicate all of that in software.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

How about "if you look at them wrong" then?

Look at this guy wanting to look inside machines, what a weirdo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never reveal the secret life of machines

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Mode 7 posted:

You didn't specify if portable or not. if not, Polymega looks slick as hell even though it got bad press. N64 module announced.

https://polymega.com/

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
just got my 351p and man this thing fuckin riiips

only downside is I hate the WiFi dongle. wish retroachievements would work offline

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you got a dongle that worked you got lucky.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
This might be heresy here around these parts but I was given a Backbone iOS controller for Christmas and steam link on the iPhone using the backbone streaming Big Box/retroarch is pretty drat magical. I’ve got amazing performance coming from my pc and my networks been totally solid so far.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

njsykora posted:

If you got a dongle that worked you got lucky.

I made my own with a usb connector and a WiFi connector I had laying around. It just hangs off the thing in a dumbass way. wish I could just get the cheevos offline and sync once in a while

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

John Romero posted:

just got my 351p and man this thing fuckin riiips

only downside is I hate the WiFi dongle. wish retroachievements would work offline

My RG552 should be arriving tomorrow. Will I be able to set up retro achievements for that?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
It has built in WiFi so yes. Of course I think it only works in retroarch so if you’re using emulators it’s probably not an option.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I got a Retroid Pockket 2+ in the mail today and I can't do poo poo all with it. There's no default folder to place roms, and if you make one, the system doesn't recognize anything you place in it. It's like the RP2+ doesn't even know it's supposed to be a handheld game console. There's zero documentation anywhere for it, and what's available for the standard RP2 doesn't apply here at all. I like to think I'm somewhat proficient with these kinds of things, but this thing is just baffling.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Give me more funtastic stock, retroid. I will buy a clear purple RP2+, just sell it to me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm surprised they don't just sell the shells straight up. I don't understand niche markets and such, but if I wanted a spicy RP2+ and couldn't order it, then I just wouldn't get one. But if I could order one and then the shell for 1/4 the price of the system, and put the guts of the RP2+ into the spiced up shell, I'd buy both.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’d happily buy the Funtastic Base RP2 and the upgrade kit and make use of the original board. My dumb rear end wants to Goodwill an old CRT and make a retro emulator box anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Almost Smart posted:

I got a Retroid Pockket 2+ in the mail today and I can't do poo poo all with it. There's no default folder to place roms, and if you make one, the system doesn't recognize anything you place in it. It's like the RP2+ doesn't even know it's supposed to be a handheld game console. There's zero documentation anywhere for it, and what's available for the standard RP2 doesn't apply here at all. I like to think I'm somewhat proficient with these kinds of things, but this thing is just baffling.
Can't you just add folders directly to RetroArch and run things that way until there's a guide?