Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s fair to be mad since the new film is way worse than his by the virtue of being a complete retread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah yes, ATC wasn't a complete retread either. Of course...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh it was. But at least it had like, a different villain at the very least lmao

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I’m turbo-biased because I worked for Blockbuster Video for the better part of a decade and amassed a huge collection of physical media, but I can’t imagine me not having a blu-ray player. Like I “get” it because streaming and digital media is so ubiquitous nowadays, but popping a disc in the player feels “right” to me when I want to watch a movie.
I respect the poo poo out of this position even if it isn't mine.

Don't get me wrong. If I had all the money in the world, I'd have an enormous physical media collection. It'd just be film prints. XD But if I had slightly less than all of the money, I'd put in a home theater and would acquire one hell of a blu ray collection.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While I know that most of you would either jokingly or seriously suggest "it's worth it!", the literal only reason I'd ever own a blu-ray player is for Ghostbusters physical releases, and I guess I just don't care that much :shrug:

I don't care if it looks better than streaming; the quality of streaming is good enough for me.

Plus, the extras of that ultimate collection will inevitably end up on youtube, so I'll see them. Hell, I've seen the released GB2 deleted scenes tons, never watched it on blu-ray.

I completely skipped that whole thing after I got Netflix and a bunch of other streaming options.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

lol at all the babbies in the FB comments whining about cancelling their order because it comes with a digital code for ATC. Dude, it’s a slip of paper, throw it away if women scare you that much.

They can't. They're terrified that if they wad it up the wrong way it'll look like one of those vagina-things that they've never seen in person.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

lol at all the babbies in the FB comments whining about cancelling their order because it comes with a digital code for ATC. Dude, it’s a slip of paper, throw it away if women scare you that much.

Lol holy poo poo that’s loving insane. It’s not like they aren’t financially supporting the same studio regardless of what version they buy. Holy hell that’s dumb hahaha

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking out of ignorance, has any of that actually happened? I'm genuinely asking because it's crazy if it did.
TV rather than film, but the day before season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery was due to premiere on Netflix, the entire series got pulled because Paramount decided it needed exclusive content for its own streaming service. Even though Netflix had paid for the first season to be made!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Paramount doing us all a solid

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe I'm just a snob and/or ignorant because I don't stream a lot of stuff if I can avoid it, but is it possible for streaming to match physical media presentation quality? Like is there an internet connection speed where it's indistinguishable, or will physical media always be superior?

Speaking out of ignorance, has any of that actually happened? I'm genuinely asking because it's crazy if it did.
If so, have any of the corrections been for the better? Like, a poo poo physical release got fixed by a corrected digital release?

I would argue that the issue is even if you have an amazing internet connection the streaming platform can also downgrade the quality of your stream depending on the bandwidth demands of their servers. Also say a platform has been streaming something like The Shining for a while, it's unlikely the transfer used on that stream will be the latest 4K UHD transfer that was scanned for the disc release.

I have a lot of streaming subscriptions but prefer my physical media where possible, with the exception of Disney Plus who are pulling a bit of a swizz by not including the options on the discs that you get on their streama with regard to IMAX, Dolby Atmos etc.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Payndz posted:

TV rather than film, but the day before season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery was due to premiere on Netflix, the entire series got pulled because Paramount decided it needed exclusive content for its own streaming service. Even though Netflix had paid for the first season to be made!

What? Netflix didn't bankroll the series. It only ever had international streaming rights to it. In the US, it's always been on CBS All Access, which I've only just now realized morphed into Paramount+

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ALFbrot posted:

What? Netflix didn't bankroll the series. It only ever had international streaming rights to it. In the US, it's always been on CBS All Access, which I've only just now realized morphed into Paramount+

It's in the process of further morphing into the Taylor Sheridan Channel.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ALFbrot posted:

There was a news article around the first season about how what Netflix paid for the international streaming rights recouped the first season's production budget.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the two original Ghostbusters UHDs for Christmas and I had bought the 2016 one earlier in the month. I decided that since I've seen the original so many more times, I would watch 2 a couple days ago, especially because of the New Year's setting. It stands up better when you don't watch it close to the original. It has enough decent bits and more Ernie Hudson to work.

I watched 2016 earlier today, which is the extended version on the UHD disc (it comes with the bluray and a lol bluray 3D for some reason). Its not a great 'Ghostbusters' but I enjoyed it as its own thing a lot. The cast loving around with each other works for me. It isn't something that needed a sequel, even if one was ever going to happen.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Nice little Easter egg at the end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is he flipping me off

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

felt like the new ghostbusters movie was about as good as the last ghostbusters movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I finally got to see the movie! I can finally mouse over all those spoiler bars in this thread. :buddy:

I liked the modern day aspects of the film (the new characters, etc) but all the connections to the original film felt clunky and badly written.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did the brother and his crush even have names?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I legitimately don't remember what even happened in this movie, and I saw it in a theater and paid attention

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Azubah posted:

Did the brother and his crush even have names?

Trevor and Lucky

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I finally got to see the movie! I can finally mouse over all those spoiler bars in this thread. :buddy:

I liked the modern day aspects of the film (the new characters, etc) but all the connections to the original film felt clunky and badly written.

I know it's cliche, but this probably would have made a better mini-series than a feature-length film. Could have let the family drama breathe a little bit, explored Ivan Shandor's impact on the town, maybe rope in some Gozer worshippers, and still bring the original crew back in the final episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

precision posted:

I legitimately don't remember what even happened in this movie, and I saw it in a theater and paid attention

You should definitely see a doctor about your concussion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

The same thing that happened in the 1984

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

8one6 posted:

You should definitely see a doctor about your concussion.

YOUR MOTHER

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2EqDWM57A

This video is huge to me; it includes, if even for one line, part of the Sherman Tully deleted scenes.

I can't wait for all of these to hit YouTube. I just sincerely hope that this is it for GB2. I want the possessed Ray Ecto scene, Sherman Tully, and the extra ending scene included.

I think the jewellery store was another fully filmed scene, as well as the jogger, but we'll see.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want them in fantastic quality so some genius can re-edit them back into the movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man all those extras look sooooooo good

for the first 2 movies i mean

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. I’ll never watch afterlife again so I gotta find someone to take it lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It looks like the collection has sold out on Amazon??

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
For various reasons I have been watching comfort movies lately, GB and GB2 principal among them. While I was at it I decided to check out the new one because, why not. I haven't seen 2016 because I am a raging misogynist (actually I saw the ghost puke scene and said "I will not be doing this". Someday though, I swear I love Kristen and Melissa!)

I like lil' Egonette, good deadpan! "Make them out of what." I like how the chess game was presented as this thing that would slowly unfold then ghost Egon just goes "ok now that I have your attention gently caress CHESS I have to teach you to save the world." I was hoping Podcast would take a header down the mineshaft. Sorry Cute Kid, it's not your fault they made you a Burger King Kids Club Member. Finn, whatever. This movie ain't about him.

The Ray and Egon stuff I didn't buy. Those guys were Index-Middle, and Ray would at least go check it out. Otherwise I was mostly able to ignore the logical inconsistencies. I really loved how Rudd described the events of GB1 as "...then these physicists showed up with these portable proton accelerators and blew the roof off a Manhattan high-rise."

Yes I teared up at like all the Ramis stuff--I teared up at seeing Annie Potts!!!! I'm a big sentimental bitch! They at least didn't try to make him talk. It just made me very very sad they never got to do this before Harold passed. That sucks. It sucks. It doesn't read as cynical to me because I know everyone loved Harold very much, even Bill reconciled with him before he died. Also much of the emotional impact for me is related to the passage of time, my own mortality as I enter my middle 30s and my parents enter their twilight years, blah blah blah

Siggy at the end....my first celebrity crush/sexual awakening. Love ya Sigs!!

This is obvious and has been pointed out to death, but you just can't replicate the chemistry of the OG and 2 (which only works at all due to said chemistry).

I don't care if the sequels were just made to make money, so was the original!! It wasn't part of some public good program to create cherished movies. It just ended up being the greatest ensemble comedy ever made, as a billion good decisions were made on the journey from Dan's idea to the silver screen and they had numerous enormous talents at their absolute peak.

I might rewatch both today and come back with s'more thoughts. There's more negative poo poo but I'm trying to be a little more positive this year. Except--everything's too pretty. Ghostbusters was ugly! They were all in their 30s with bad hairlines and flaws! Save for Siggy and the literal model villain. 2016 especially looks extremely loving bright and slick and it feels so false.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Was that the big popping eyeball ghost toy from the ghostbusters toy line I saw or was it just similar

lol I went back to look for this and man, god bless ghostbusters fans:

Brolander fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 16, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is that a list of random moments in the movie…for why? Lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh yeah Egon Jr. was extremely good and the movie should have had a lot more of her

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Every time the viewer slime'd themselves

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A better ending credits sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUHQUPSe5dI

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It's on the YouTube version of the movie, so you can skip to certain scenes.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Brolander posted:

For various reasons I have been watching comfort movies lately, GB and GB2 principal among them. While I was at it I decided to check out the new one because, why not. I haven't seen 2016 because I am a raging misogynist (actually I saw the ghost puke scene and said "I will not be doing this". Someday though, I swear I love Kristen and Melissa!)

I like lil' Egonette, good deadpan! "Make them out of what." I like how the chess game was presented as this thing that would slowly unfold then ghost Egon just goes "ok now that I have your attention gently caress CHESS I have to teach you to save the world." I was hoping Podcast would take a header down the mineshaft. Sorry Cute Kid, it's not your fault they made you a Burger King Kids Club Member. Finn, whatever. This movie ain't about him.

The Ray and Egon stuff I didn't buy. Those guys were Index-Middle, and Ray would at least go check it out. Otherwise I was mostly able to ignore the logical inconsistencies. I really loved how Rudd described the events of GB1 as "...then these physicists showed up with these portable proton accelerators and blew the roof off a Manhattan high-rise."

Yes I teared up at like all the Ramis stuff--I teared up at seeing Annie Potts!!!! I'm a big sentimental bitch! They at least didn't try to make him talk. It just made me very very sad they never got to do this before Harold passed. That sucks. It sucks. It doesn't read as cynical to me because I know everyone loved Harold very much, even Bill reconciled with him before he died. Also much of the emotional impact for me is related to the passage of time, my own mortality as I enter my middle 30s and my parents enter their twilight years, blah blah blah

Siggy at the end....my first celebrity crush/sexual awakening. Love ya Sigs!!

This is obvious and has been pointed out to death, but you just can't replicate the chemistry of the OG and 2. The principals were second city trained with an egoless ideal of making the other person look better, even if Murray was already particularly an Ego at that point. He had fun and hammed it up, but wasn't ever stepping on anyone else.

I don't care if the sequels were just made to make money, so was the original!! It wasn't part of some public good program to create cherished movies. It just ended up being the greatest ensemble comedy ever made, as a billion good decisions were made on the journey from Dan's idea to the silver screen and they had numerous enormous talents at their absolute peak.

I might rewatch both today and come back with s'more thoughts. There's more negative poo poo but I'm trying to be a little more positive this year. Except--everything's too pretty. Ghostbusters was ugly! They were all in their 30s with bad hairlines and flaws! 2016 especially looks extremely loving bright and slick and it feels so false.

lol I went back to look for this and man, god bless ghostbusters fans:

Lol Vince.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's on the YouTube version of the movie, so you can skip to certain scenes.

literally funnier than the movie itself :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of Egon leaving his family, I don't know if anyone pointed it out yet but some of the notes on the wall of photos are dated 1984 and 1983 so Carrie had to have been born before the events of GB1. Also it looks like one of the notes is about sending a birthday present for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
oh hmm, I haven't rewatched but definitely planned on checking those out a little. In-ter-esting

Ok im watching 2016 but i am NOT paying very much for it

Brolander fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 12, 2022