Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Heard an NPR piece about Don't Look Up where the writers fell in to the same trap as The Onion. Quote from memory is, "We had to make everything 20% crazier because reality kept out doing us"

Still liked it even if there were some really, really sharp lines damning the reality we live in.

I watched it this afternoon and checked out the reviews after, and the negatives seem to be because people think it's about Covid when it's clearly about global warming given the lead time on writing and production of movies.

The point whole of the movie is that the elites don't care if we all die because they think they can all just escape in a spaceship and will personally never face any hardship. And that they're right, the people truly influencing these things are rich enough they will never face any consequences. It isn't about the dumb-dumb Americans who won't believe science- there are at least two scenes were randoms walking by hear what they are talking about and they go ape-poo poo. But then the news puts a spin on it and suddenly there are sides as to whether or not we are all going to die.

The movie was depressing as gently caress because it was absolutely how people are reacting to the apocalypse we are currently hurtling towards this very second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I genuinely can't wrap my head around the fact that the US somehow still doesn't recommend wearing N95 masks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have no loving clue what Don't Look Up is.

some netflix remake of Miracle Mile

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Don't Look (it) Up :haw:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I genuinely can't wrap my head around the fact that the US somehow still doesn't recommend wearing N95 masks

:shepicide:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Freedom.

But also lots of willful ignorance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's a black comedy on Netflix with a huge A list cast and a ton of cameos. It was pretty funny.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

At this point, I assume it's a Large Numbers thing. From a quick googling, the population of Germany (random country pulled) is 83 million with 5.6 million healthcare workers. American healthcare employs 18 million alone, 329 million people total.

Also Germany has a functional healthcare system where we have 50+1, all guided by the invisible hand, and 10-15 at any given time won't fund their systems because covid isn't real.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I don't think most people could afford N95s in the US.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My names are somehow both irish and amish, but by blood i'm mostly italian and native american so who the gently caress knows.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

This is especially darkly hilarious since a lot of Red States that have pushed antivax stuff were dependent on the monoclonal to treat their non-vaccinated populace

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1475577043974868992?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of everyone having to go back to wearing xN95 masks, this place is testing every mask on Amazon as well as selling their own masks and ones that tested well: https://www.armbrustusa.com/pages/mask-testing

Mask reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/ArmbrustUSA/videos

The one they *really* like are the Gerson 3230 and 3230+, the difference between them being that the latter is "fluid rated." They also sell their own-branded US-made KN95s. I have no affiliation with the site, I just came across it after mistakenly buying some LG-made KF94 masks and this place said they're unbreatheable, so I was able to cancel the order in time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The administration pushed vaccines hard because they figured that was the way out. They hosed up in thinking that testing wasn't going to be needed, because why would the invisible hand gently caress up supply by laying off workers and destroying potential sales? Omicron hosed that one up.

Heavily blue states also pushed vaccines hard for similar reasons. They hosed up in thinking that testing wasn't going to be needed - they forgot that their heavily-blue, highly vaccinated populace REALLY doesn't want to spread the poo poo, so they'll reasonably get tested for a mysterious runny nose or cough. So Omicron hosed that one up too.

Heavily red states pushed covid-isn't-real because their voters would revolt, or they're just completely stupid, and the monoclonals were decent enough to serve as a treatment. Then Omicron came in and wiped out one of the primary monoclonals that worked against it and the feds had to restrict supply to ensure even distribution between the states so it wasn't a Jared Kushner Plane-of-PPE situation again.

I fault one of the above groups.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 28, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I got a 20 pack of the powecom FFP2 masks about a year ago and haven't burned through all of them yet but I love those because they've got over-the-head loops instead of over the ear KN95 style, it really feels like a better seal.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
This is a wild loving thread about everyone’s favorite paraplegic white supremacist and NC House Rep. Following the divorce announcement he went on the Daily Caller and explained that he met his soon to be ex wife in a fake CrossFit event in Russia.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimstewartson/status/1474091377390587917

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

This is a wild loving thread about everyone’s favorite paraplegic white supremacist and NC House Rep. Following the divorce announcement he went on the Daily Caller and explained that he met his soon to be ex wife in a fake CrossFit event in Russia.

The only question is whether or not he's too poo poo-stupid to realize that he's an asset and that the "former Army captain" is his handler.

I give it 50-50.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The only question is whether or not he's too poo poo-stupid to realize that he's an asset and that the "former Army captain" is his handler.

I give it 50-50.

You've seen his correspondence, right? Because he absolutely is that poo poo-stupid, and I mean that in the literal sense of "how did this man get a GED."

https://twitter.com/ImSpeaking13/status/1472743823952523267?t=-6TnTiz2o0QUTs5tsV04UQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/CharlesFinch/status/1421496819930984452?t=OZKFJMG3KVYYvhqV053_4Q&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fucks sake, that handwriting is worse than mine.

At what point do you just hire someone with good handwriting?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Twitch is super lax on enforcement of that policy, and doesn't ban for a whole multitude of slurs, including ableist poo poo, or thinly veiled racist slurs that simply aren't "the big ones". In this case, they just caved to white folks being pissed after one streamer caused a stir over it, and now decided to enforce the policy for the poor disenfranchised white race.

It's dumb as all hell, honestly.

True, but if a high profile streamer were to surround one of the ablest words you're thinking of with "dumb" and "bitch", and a bunch of people reported it, I bet you'd see movement in that direction too. I think most people using ableist language or veiled slurs tend to inject some ambiguity

That's the Hasan Piker temp ban; I can't find the Ian Kochinski clip to tell if the derogatory intent was that clear.

Edit: it probably doesn't even have to be a slur; just surrounding any of the protected characteristics words with dumb and bitch is probably risky maneuver if Twitch is your primary revenue stream.

piL fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 28, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

At what point do we leave hand written notes where they belong, in museums and other places you keep relics of bygone eras?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just imagine having the necessary level of empty-headed hubris to look at that elementary school-level penmanship, written on the official stationary of a Congressional office, and think "yep, fuckin' nailed it"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd like to see a writing sample from before the accident, though I do expect it would be just as awful.

Edit: Based on recent history, he's going to be elected president in 2032.

Edit2: While refusing to release his Russian income tax forms due to an audit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just imagine having the necessary level of empty-headed hubris to look at that elementary school-level penmanship, written on the official stationary of a Congressional office, and think "yep, fuckin' nailed it"

Imagine the ones he threw away for not looking good enough!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Defenestrategy posted:

At what point do we leave hand written notes where they belong, in museums and other places you keep relics of bygone eras?

Totally get it, but calligraphy as a craft will always be useful. Not saying everyone needs to know cursive anymore, but it definitely has a place.

Microsoft word would produce better results than Cawthorn though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

I'd like to see a writing sample from before the accident, though I do expect it would be just as awful.

Edit: Based on recent history, he's going to be elected president in 2032.

Edit2: While refusing to release his Russian income tax forms due to an audit.

I'd feel more bad about making fun of him if he A) wasn't a loving US Congressman and B) if by all accounts he hadn't been a dumbass and a terrible person even before the accident (which, as it should always be mentioned, he has lied about repeatedly to make his story sound more compelling).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only cursive writing I do on a regular basis is my signature, which is 1000x better than Cawthorn's, but if called upon to do it again I know I could because that was something that was beaten into me in elementary school because that's how they indoctrinated you back then - the Pledge and cursive writing. If you couldn't master a cursive F you weren't getting into college and it was going on your Permanent Record.

What's worse, *your* cursive became a copy of whatever your teacher's cursive looked like.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Totally get it, but calligraphy as a craft will always be useful. Not saying everyone needs to know cursive anymore, but it definitely has a place.

Microsoft word would produce better results than Cawthorn though.

I think calligraphy needs to remain the purview of "jobs that exist because of fancy rich people partys" and graphic design artists so that I can have fancy fonts for photoshop.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My hand writing is god loving awful. Like imagine a five year olds drunk handwriting.

I remember in grade school, I had teachers basically say gently caress it and let me type out my in class assignments while everyone else wrote.

So if I ever end up in Congress, you bet your rear end I'll either type it out or have someone else write it for me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There is some value to the art. Obviously not much if so many artists are starving. Even wealthy fucks can just order their assistants to use Word. This excludes NFTs, which are not art, but a ponzi scheme of worthless online trading card links.

Handwritten notes just don't carry the weight they used to, it's a smaller world. It meant something 50 years ago, but it's worthless sentiment now for most. A shame, in it's own way, but if you're putting yourself in a place of representation, you should probably practice your handwriting to at least look better than serial killer scrawl.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd feel more bad about making fun of him if he A) wasn't a loving US Congressman and B) if by all accounts he hadn't been a dumbass and a terrible person even before the accident (which, as it should always be mentioned, he has lied about repeatedly to make his story sound more compelling).

He's a horrible person and I have no problem making GBS threads on him. What I don't want to do is poo poo on him for having childish handwriting due to nerve damage. Which I don't think it is, since his spinal injury was at T12.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If I sat around and re-wrote the letter a few times very carefully I think I could get something close to that. gently caress you 6th grade and Mrs J, handwriting was the most useless waste of time ever and I'm never getting that time back or forgetting those cramps from the thousandth perfect "t".

Now everything gets written in large capitol letters or typed so there's no doubt as to what I am trying to communicate.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1475529419812974595

I guess the CDC isn't beating around the bush anymore.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

My handwriting is far worse than that, even I can't read it sometimes. Doesn't help that I have a tremor, and now meds make it worse. As soon as I got my first PC, you bet I immediately learned how to type and gave up on handwriting.
If I end up on congress I'll totally troll everyone via indecipherable handwriting

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/12/27/texas-laredo-plant-cancer-children/4981640615996/

Texas really is on some bullshit. Doubling down on kids cancer through ethylene oxide seems unbelievable...

Remembering the Texas freeze and how they kept their ERCOT grid anyway, welp believe it now

The company Midwest really has the balls to argue increased cancer risk (in poor areas near our sloppy polluting facilities) is worth it because they sterilize medical equipment. But they also need new regulations on permissible exposure levels and oh they don't have detectors that read above 0.

The EPA knew back in 2006 that this causes 30 times higher cancer incidence in adults and 50 times higher cancer incidence when exposed since birth than previously thought. and yet industry pressure was enough to delay their finalized findings for a decade. Then Texas said gently caress regulating job creators! Come sterilize medical equipment here in Texas! They started a new state run review and 'correction' or whatever to the USEPA guidance.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/toxicology/ethylene-oxide

Anyone that has an actual environmental science background able to parse that Texas website? It reads like some bullshit, they pull some real shady false equivalence and seems they misrepresent the federal EPA findings with some real 'there are studies representing both sides of this issue'
But I am an idiot so couldn't be sure

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The smartest , most stable people.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

The smartest , most stable people.

I'm more or less with LethalityJane on this one:

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1475686085481013248?t=JRzJxMKqbH9sI1mfkzh1XQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1475508634415091714?t=cSCfBPml58JsSzGqHaGuNQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1475505374547431425?t=VAEnZcTS2qUropHDrI___A&s=19

High likelihood that the weird CrossFit fake gym competition whatever the gently caress was standard CrossFit weird poo poo. Also a high likelihood that she thought she was marrying a conservative Republican, then Cawthorn's psychopath nazi poo poo started coming out and it became a bridge too far. And because CrossFit, she got irritated that she couldn't compete in stuff, so it all added up to divorce.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Lethality Jane posted:

"CrossFit is anti-American propaganda and must be purged from the United States Military"

Tough but fair.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

I'm more or less with LethalityJane on this one:

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1475686085481013248?t=JRzJxMKqbH9sI1mfkzh1XQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1475508634415091714?t=cSCfBPml58JsSzGqHaGuNQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1475505374547431425?t=VAEnZcTS2qUropHDrI___A&s=19

High likelihood that the weird CrossFit fake gym competition whatever the gently caress was standard CrossFit weird poo poo. Also a high likelihood that she thought she was marrying a conservative Republican, then Cawthorn's psychopath nazi poo poo started coming out and it became a bridge too far. And because CrossFit, she got irritated that she couldn't compete in stuff, so it all added up to divorce.

Holy poo poo she's ripped. In way better shape than I ever was for sure, even when I was playing football.

Imagine if she took up a real, non massively inury causing hobby, like olympic weight lifting. Crossfit is a cult.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

stackofflapjacks posted:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/12/27/texas-laredo-plant-cancer-children/4981640615996/

Texas really is on some bullshit. Doubling down on kids cancer through ethylene oxide seems unbelievable...

Remembering the Texas freeze and how they kept their ERCOT grid anyway, welp believe it now

The company Midwest really has the balls to argue increased cancer risk (in poor areas near our sloppy polluting facilities) is worth it because they sterilize medical equipment. But they also need new regulations on permissible exposure levels and oh they don't have detectors that read above 0.

The EPA knew back in 2006 that this causes 30 times higher cancer incidence in adults and 50 times higher cancer incidence when exposed since birth than previously thought. and yet industry pressure was enough to delay their finalized findings for a decade. Then Texas said gently caress regulating job creators! Come sterilize medical equipment here in Texas! They started a new state run review and 'correction' or whatever to the USEPA guidance.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/toxicology/ethylene-oxide

Anyone that has an actual environmental science background able to parse that Texas website? It reads like some bullshit, they pull some real shady false equivalence and seems they misrepresent the federal EPA findings with some real 'there are studies representing both sides of this issue'
But I am an idiot so couldn't be sure

It's also a military explosive!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_of_All_Bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2UnKLm2Eag

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 28, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's bullshit that we can't just do sterilization with massive gamma emitters next to a railroad siding, make the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory great again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

it's bullshit that we can't just do sterilization with massive gamma emitters next to a railroad siding, make the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory great again.

As a Nuclear Guy I'm....okay with this?