Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
CPL593H, it finally happened. I've been listening to records since March 2020, and as I'm sure the thread knows by now, I'm nowhere near an audiophile. However, the other day....it happened!

My first moment of audiophilia (that felt nasty to type): The first half of Side A of the latest release of the Tron: Legacy OST sounds like rear end! >:| Strange (almost rhythmic) fuzzy static-y bits in some of the quiet parts, and even a couple of pops! I cleaned the disc several times, so I'm pretty sure it's just the pressing itself. I then spent a few minutes complaining to my partner about how this was no doubt due to Disney just wanting a quick buck and not giving a poo poo about quality. I felt like I was channeling you for a bit.

I know, I know, you're thinking "No poo poo, dummy, don't buy poo poo like that" but dammit, I like this soundtrack a lot. :colbert: Thankfully, the second half of Side A sounds a lot better. I was just bummed that all the strange noises interrupted my scheduled "Ooh, here come the goosebumps" when the synths start up in The Grid. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFXYuw96d0c&t=46s)

Anyone else get the latest reprint of the OST, and if so, does yours also sound pretty lame? Looks like a few folks on Discogs say they got the same thing, although other folks' apparently sound fine.
https://www.discogs.com/release/21293563-Daft-Punk-TRON-Legacy-Vinyl-Edition-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I haven't had the clicks and pops on a new album experience yet, but I have had the old "this sounds flat" bitch about the mix. It was that now expensive Foo Fighter Bee Gees cover from RSD. It wasn't helped by being sandwiched between a couple of Queen records when I first listened to it, a lot of those have good range and dynamism in the sound to compare to.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Read After Burning posted:

CPL593H, it finally happened. I've been listening to records since March 2020, and as I'm sure the thread knows by now, I'm nowhere near an audiophile. However, the other day....it happened!

My first moment of audiophilia (that felt nasty to type): The first half of Side A of the latest release of the Tron: Legacy OST sounds like rear end! >:| Strange (almost rhythmic) fuzzy static-y bits in some of the quiet parts, and even a couple of pops! I cleaned the disc several times, so I'm pretty sure it's just the pressing itself. I then spent a few minutes complaining to my partner about how this was no doubt due to Disney just wanting a quick buck and not giving a poo poo about quality. I felt like I was channeling you for a bit.

I know, I know, you're thinking "No poo poo, dummy, don't buy poo poo like that" but dammit, I like this soundtrack a lot. :colbert: Thankfully, the second half of Side A sounds a lot better. I was just bummed that all the strange noises interrupted my scheduled "Ooh, here come the goosebumps" when the synths start up in The Grid. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFXYuw96d0c&t=46s)

Anyone else get the latest reprint of the OST, and if so, does yours also sound pretty lame? Looks like a few folks on Discogs say they got the same thing, although other folks' apparently sound fine.
https://www.discogs.com/release/21293563-Daft-Punk-TRON-Legacy-Vinyl-Edition-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

With each day my power grows stronger!

But yeah that sucks. I've been meaning to get that album but I just decided for a whole bunch of reasons to get the CD. This is one of them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

But yeah that sucks. I've been meaning to get that album but I just decided for a whole bunch of reasons to get the CD. This is one of them.

I just re-watched Moonstruck for the first time in over 25 years. A beautiful Criterion transfer. Great score. Went to look up a 1988 film soundtrack and

This bullshit is so stupid. No 80s film soundtrack should be above ten dollars if it's new and sealed. This was when records were still outselling CDs. So I look at the CD

That's more like it. I was ready to peace out on most new vinyl purchases in 2022 and only pick up essentials and old poo poo, but if we're in $50-125 for a goddamned cutout remaindered film OST territory I'm ready to go to CDs first as a rule. gently caress all y'all greedy rear end bitches.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 28, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dick Hyman

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Dick Hyman

Yep. Is Moonstruck a moog/synth heavy soundtrack? Because I have a record by Dick Hyman that's early moog poo poo and it's not particularly good: the album as a whole sounds like if moogs had sample loops. Trying to remember the back of jacket blurb, I think he's a composer or conductor that had a brief flirtation with early synths like a lot of music people did.

Dick Hyman

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Yep. Is Moonstruck a moog/synth heavy soundtrack? Because I have a record by Dick Hyman that's early moog poo poo and it's not particularly good: the album as a whole sounds like if moogs had sample loops. Trying to remember the back of jacket blurb, I think he's a composer or conductor that had a brief flirtation with early synths like a lot of music people did.

Dick Hyman

It’s a bunch of Italian restaurant music.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

I finally googled him and his career does jibe with my memory somewhat, a jazz pianist who did a lot of composing for and scoring for films. And indeed did the moog based track "Minotaur" in the 60s or so that is a selling point on the album I have. It may have been the first popular single on the new instrument, but I still think the track sucks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I finally googled him and his career does jibe with my memory somewhat, a jazz pianist who did a lot of composing for and scoring for films. And indeed did the moog based track "Minotaur" in the 60s or so that is a selling point on the album I have. It may have been the first popular single on the new instrument, but I still think the track sucks.

The moonstruck soundtrack sucks too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

I just re-watched Moonstruck for the first time in over 25 years. A beautiful Criterion transfer. Great score. Went to look up a 1988 film soundtrack and

This bullshit is so stupid. No 80s film soundtrack should be above ten dollars if it's new and sealed. This was when records were still outselling CDs. So I look at the CD

That's more like it. I was ready to peace out on most new vinyl purchases in 2022 and only pick up essentials and old poo poo, but if we're in $50-125 for a goddamned cutout remaindered film OST territory I'm ready to go to CDs first as a rule. gently caress all y'all greedy rear end bitches.

Old records that are still sealed in shrink are most likely pretty warped as well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
CDs for things you want to listen to, vinyls for things you want to display your affection for. This isn't meant to be a slight about whether or not you listen to your vinyls regularly, just that it's my own personal rule. If I love an album enough that I want it to have a "shelf presence," I will buy the record, within reason.

There's also nothing at all saying you can't do both!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Heath posted:

There's also nothing at all saying you can't do both!

Guilty as charged. Pretend I posted all my vinyl/cd dupes here starting with weirdal_in3d_vinyl_cd_cass.jpg. It's an embarrassingly high number.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Dick Hyman

Dick Hyman's Moog albums aren't good but you have to remember that at time synthesizers were still considered something of a novelty but then Switched on Bach had just come out so everyone wanted to make their own electronic album but most of them had no idea what they were doing and certainly didn't have the talent and vision that Wendy Carlos did.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I have the OST on CD that I bought in like 2012 or so, it sounds ten times better than the vinyl. >:|

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Read After Burning posted:

Got one for Christmas; it sounds pretty bad. From the needle drop it sounds like there's schmutz in the grooves: a rhythmic grinding that kills the sound. I took it off after a minute or so.

pwn
May 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Boooo :colbert:

BigFactory posted:

The moonstruck soundtrack sucks too.

I liked it.

I wasn’t even planning to get it yet, with stuff like that I usually sit on it for a month or two and revisit it to see if I really want it. Sometimes with soundtracks the afterglow of a great film can make the soundtrack seem like a good idea. I was just taking a look and was floored at a five dollar record going for laffo prices.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I liked it.

I wasn’t even planning to get it yet, with stuff like that I usually sit on it for a month or two and revisit it to see if I really want it. Sometimes with soundtracks the afterglow of a great film can make the soundtrack seem like a good idea. I was just taking a look and was floored at a five dollar record going for laffo prices.

Are you sure that the OST is actually music from the movie, or at least the music you liked in the movie? The first song is That’s Amore and it’s followed up by a bunch of songs the Olive Garden would be ashamed to play. I got linguine with clam sauce on my shirt through discogs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Are you sure that the OST is actually music from the movie, or at least the music you liked in the movie? The first song is That’s Amore and it’s followed up by a bunch of songs the Olive Garden would be ashamed to play. I got linguine with clam sauce on my shirt through discogs.

The score (Dick Hyman) was specifically what I was looking for, I was surprised they put the Dean Martin song on it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

When I moved into our house five years ago I swore that was the last time I would move the collection...I was wrong. So. I'm in the middle of moving 2000+ vinyls out of the living room and into my little office. It is not fun. But I found some download cards.

Edna Vasquez w/ Pink Martini
and a couple Fat Possum Blues Comps.

https://imgur.com/qq5wItk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I was just taking a look and was floored at a five dollar record going for laffo prices.

This is why I keep bitching!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My Christmas gift to myself is a couple of gospel albums from Bible&Tire/D-vine spirituals.

My music room vibe is usually either an 80s nightclub, a creepy abandoned shopping mall, or a rural Southern church.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

This is why I keep bitching!

Two of them are cutouts! gently caress you!! :tizzy:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

floored at a five dollar record going for laffo prices.

Yeah. A cutout record. Which means it didn't sell poo poo initially and was tossed in a bargain bin. I have bought a bunch of closeout records that shot up in price. Most notably the Beatles Mono Box for $150ish I think. It goes for a few bucks more now.

Edit: Waiting for my (no longer sealed) cutout of the Running Scared soundtrack to shoot up in price.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 29, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I need to downsize my collection. I probably have 500 bad classic rock records I am never going to listen to ever again. I should probably actually try to sell them while I can average a dollar or two a piece.

No offense, Bob Segar, but I don’t need 4 copies of night moves, or even one copy.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

I think I need to downsize my collection. I probably have 500 bad classic rock records I am never going to listen to ever again. I should probably actually try to sell them while I can average a dollar or two a piece.

No offense, Bob Segar, but I don’t need 4 copies of night moves, or even one copy.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I was moving my records around. I have a stack of like ten so far lol.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I liked it.

This is a good plan at least, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that half the time I've bought a movie soundtrack it was for one specific song and not really giving a poo poo about the others. That and there's a lot of movies where most of the tracks are just different arrangements of the title theme, Bond and a bunch of other spy movies just do this 90% of the time.

God this has just turned into me confessing my collecting sins hasn't it? I still stand by buying Yellow Submarine solely for Hey Bulldog though, even if most of the rest of the album is eh.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m always selling records (but then buying two for every 5 I sell).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

This is a good plan at least, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that half the time I've bought a movie soundtrack it was for one specific song and not really giving a poo poo about the others. That and there's a lot of movies where most of the tracks are just different arrangements of the title theme, Bond and a bunch of other spy movies just do this 90% of the time.

God this has just turned into me confessing my collecting sins hasn't it? I still stand by buying Yellow Submarine solely for Hey Bulldog though, even if most of the rest of the album is eh.

It’s a top 10 Beatles song

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Two of them are cutouts! gently caress you!! :tizzy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhYckH-RrBo

dorium posted:

I’m always selling records (but then buying two for every 5 I sell).

sporklift posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I was moving my records around. I have a stack of like ten so far lol.

BigFactory posted:

Sell me your poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Sell me your poo poo.

Ok. I’ll pull out what I want to get rid of and make a list

pwn
May 27, 2004

Last night's dinner prep playlist: El Vez's "A Lad from Spain?" 10", The Wankys' "Weapons of Musical Destruction" 8" and a Propaghandi/I Spy split 5" from Recess Records' Play at Your Own Risk vol 2 box. Truly appropriate grub fixin tuneage

Back cover of El Vez

Bonus feature: Photo of backdrop in my spare room/makeshift studio

Edit: El Vez is the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoidqcYCt4

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 29, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I haven’t seen brain candy since it came out. I remember it being good but not wildly funny. I should re-watch.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I haven’t seen brain candy since it came out. I remember it being good but not wildly funny. I should re-watch.

It's a slippery slope to buying the Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet box set, just a warning. The box set is great though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

It is, but I only see it mentioned in certain circles and it doesn't help that it's halfway down an album that's mostly orchestral movie music.

Actually has anyone noticed a funny generational divide when it comes to the Beatles? It seems like the boomers like the early albums, our generation likes all the studio stuff, and a lot of younger people like to poo poo on popular thing and don't listen to the Beatles.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

It is, but I only see it mentioned in certain circles and it doesn't help that it's halfway down an album that's mostly orchestral movie music.

Actually has anyone noticed a funny generational divide when it comes to the Beatles? It seems like the boomers like the early albums, our generation likes all the studio stuff, and a lot of younger people like to poo poo on popular thing and don't listen to the Beatles.

My dad’s in his mid 70s and doesn’t give a poo poo about early Beatles really. White Album was the only Beatles CD he owned when I was growing up and the only lps he had/kept were Yesterday and Today -> forward. He was like 17 when sgt pepper came out so that’s pretty sweet spot for him.

But I don’t think there’s anything magical about the Beatles that it has to transcend 60 years of musical trends either. My 10 year old loved the Beatles until they discovered modern pop music. Now she just listens to lorde

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

My dad’s in his mid 70s and doesn’t give a poo poo about early Beatles really. White Album was the only Beatles CD he owned when I was growing up and the only lps he had/kept were Yesterday and Today -> forward. He was like 17 when sgt pepper came out so that’s pretty sweet spot for him.

But I don’t think there’s anything magical about the Beatles that it has to transcend 60 years of musical trends either. My 10 year old loved the Beatles until they discovered modern pop music. Now she just listens to lorde

Ah, my mom is in her 60s, yet Beatles 65 era stuff is more her jam. But she is also the person who prefers greatest hits comps over full albums too. The lament about the younger generation was just from having seen people in that age bracket dismiss the Beatles out of hand without bothering to give them a listen. Jumping right to rebelling against the establishment.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah, my mom is in her 60s, yet Beatles 65 era stuff is more her jam. But she is also the person who prefers greatest hits comps over full albums too. The lament about the younger generation was just from having seen people in that age bracket dismiss the Beatles out of hand without bothering to give them a listen. Jumping right to rebelling against the establishment.

If the occasional GBS Beatles threads are anything to go by, for every 35 year old who loves the Beatles there's one that loves nothing more than to hate the Beatles and people who like them

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Hey bulldog is v good but for my money the early stuff is actually a little underrated these days. Hard Days Night is wall to wall classics imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The Beatles kept me great company until a friend introduced me to The Soft Boys and Robyn Hitchcock's solo stuff.

I still really enjoy them when I hear them everywhere but I don't think I'll ever have a desire to purposefully listen to them at home.