Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I'm cracking open Skyrim for the first time in 5+ years; never played the special edition.

Is the OP still up-to-date in terms of what I need to know to get Skyrim modded?

Are there still any "must-have" technical patch/fix mods I absolutely need to download?

Why am I doing this to myself yet again? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Another mod utilizing the wizardry of Base Object Swapper

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60741

makes loads of objects interactable with no need for any patching!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I'm cracking open Skyrim for the first time in 5+ years; never played the special edition.

Is the OP still up-to-date in terms of what I need to know to get Skyrim modded?

Are there still any "must-have" technical patch/fix mods I absolutely need to download?

you've kinda come back at a weird time because there has just been a big update to the Anniversary Edition and not all SKSE/dll mods have updated so things are a bit fractured still

e: if you have just downloaded your copy of Skyrim it’s going to be the Anniversary Edition (AE) version so you should probably build your mods around that. The vast majority of mods work with either AE or SE versions, but as I said there are a few SSKSE/dll dependent mods that haven’t been updated to work with AE.
If you come across a mod that hasn’t updated and you absolutely must have it then you can downgrade your install back to the final SE version using a tool on the nexus. All the new content from the AE version still works doing this as it doesn’t depend on the exe to work, so you can have ‘the best of both worlds’ install and you would use the old SE versions of the relevant mods.
We can answer any questions on here because the modding scene is a bit complicated at the moment and I hope I’ve not confused you more.

Helith fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 27, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Here's the mod list that I just did a playthough with. Everything was in working order and if it wasn't it didn't cause the game not to start or any graphical issues beyond what you might normally encounter. This should give you a good idea of what you'll need to get started. Everything in the first group is "necessary".

code:
* DLCs
* Creation Club Content 
"Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch"
"SkyUI_5_2_SE"
"(Part 1) SSE Engine Fixes for 1.6.xxx"
"eFPS - Exterior FPS boost"
"eFPS - AnniversaryEdition"

"Anniversary Edition - Weightless Items"
"Easy Lockpicking"
"FishingMapMarkers"
"In-game Guide to Finding CC Content"
"Instant Mining and Wood Chopping"
"Power of Creation - Creation Club Overhaul"
"Main Menu 10th AE (wm)"
"Creation Club Everything Cleaned and Upscaled - Cleaned Only"
"Dark's Whiterun Market with New INN"
"The People Of Skyrim Anniversary Edition"
"Drunk Sinking Head Idle Fix SE"
"Creation Club Growable Plants "
"Brawler"
"Path of Sorcery"
"Security Overhaul SKSE - Lock Variations"
"Security Overhaul SKSE - Add-ons"
"Thogra - default body" - voiced Orc follower 
"Realm of Lorkhan - Custom Alternate Start"
"Better Fast Travel - Carriages and Ships SE"
"Glowing Ore Veins 300 SSE - Optimized"
"Unread Books Glow SSE 2.2.1"
"Deadly Dragons"
"Thaumaturgy - An Enchanting Overhaul"
"Bloodskal Enchantment"
"Bloodskal Update"
"Way of the Monk 1.84"
"Dragonbone Ebonsteel Armor SE"
"Dragonbone Weapon Set SE"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Just to be perfectly clear, any CC stuff should definitely go before any Unofficial patch stuff right? Because LOOT was doing some weird poo poo and I got confused (LOOT has been pretty messy for me for a long time now though).

Also another reason I’m asking was because I ran into a dragon whose soul I couldn’t absorb and I remembered that was usually caused by not having the Unofficial patch as close to the top as possible, but apparently it can still rarely happen anyways.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

nine-gear crow posted:

Be sure to pair it with eFPS and its patch hub. I can't believe how much better the game runs with it installed and DynDOLOD's newly included Occulsion patch as well.

Thanks! They say you really ought to make a new save, but alas I am pretty far along at this point. I think I will make some backups and roll the dice anyway. One thing I have been amazed about in this play through is my modlist has actually taxed my fairly top of the line pc, to the point where I regularly pull only 45fps and it’s noticeable. I will report results.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
From the nexus comments:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

From the nexus comments:

It is inevitable.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I regret to report that eFPS did not alter my framerate in any way. I am kind of surprised really. I do hope it helps others!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone know how STEP is developed? The forums seem nearly dead, there's no link to a Discord or other service, etc. I'm curious when the next version is going to be released.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
someone made a neat gun mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60183

Nothing fancy, just old timey looking single shot guns using crossbow mechanics, but now I have a new thing to dodge

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone know how STEP is developed? The forums seem nearly dead, there's no link to a Discord or other service, etc. I'm curious when the next version is going to be released.

STEP is kinda dead, we are in the Wabbajack paradigm now

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BurritoJustice posted:

STEP is kinda dead, we are in the Wabbajack paradigm now

I've always liked it as a good base. Lots of things that just fixes or nice tweaks without huge content or game play changes.

Supposedly a new version is being published in January or February. Maybe someone will Wabbajack it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn. So, after beating Morrowind, I reinstalled SSE and Wabbajack, intending to try another run of the Elysium mod pack. Except, I didn't want to pay for another Nexus Plus subscription, but that means manually clicking "DOWNLOAD" on the 1500 mods contained within the mod list. I didn't want to do that either.

However, I realized that the pop up for the download page is always the same, excepting that the name of the mod might extend down to a second line, which places the "DOWNLOAD" button slightly lower. Still, if I positioned the mouse cursor just right, it would be on the "DOWNLOAD" button in either format. Then, I downloaded a small utility that would execute a left click once every 10 seconds. I watched it run for about 10 mods, works great. The internal is long enough that the page always has time to load, and the mouse cursor is always over the button.

Problem is, I turned this on last night, and forgot to check it this morning. I think it'll click about eight thousand times in 24 hours, and I'll have left it running for more than half that time once I'm home.  There were only about 1500 mods in the mod list, so at this point, right now, my PC is just clicking away. I can't recall what appears on the PC after the downloads. Is it a web page? Am I web crawling right now?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn. So, after beating Morrowind, I reinstalled SSE and Wabbajack, intending to try another run of the Elysium mod pack. Except, I didn't want to pay for another Nexus Plus subscription, but that means manually clicking "DOWNLOAD" on the 1500 mods contained within the mod list. I didn't want to do that either.

However, I realized that the pop up for the download page is always the same, excepting that the name of the mod might extend down to a second line, which places the "DOWNLOAD" button slightly lower. Still, if I positioned the mouse cursor just right, it would be on the "DOWNLOAD" button in either format. Then, I downloaded a small utility that would execute a left click once every 10 seconds. I watched it run for about 10 mods, works great. The internal is long enough that the page always has time to load, and the mouse cursor is always over the button.

Problem is, I turned this on last night, and forgot to check it this morning. I think it'll click about eight thousand times in 24 hours, and I'll have left it running for more than half that time once I'm home.  There were only about 1500 mods in the mod list, so at this point, right now, my PC is just clicking away. I can't recall what appears on the PC after the downloads. Is it a web page? Am I web crawling right now?

Yeah, I think it usually opens the readme on github. To add to this I've done manual and it's not that bad really. I've downloaded a bunch of different modlists and have a giant mods folder on a spare hdd that it picks from so that helps a ton.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A spare HD for wabbajack installs sounds like a good idea actually, this thing is like a 150GB download and I apparently will want to play it once every several months.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:eyepop:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60915

wSkeever workin hard, I see. Now you can fish anywhere there's water! ...Like really anywhere, even some weird places, but gently caress it.

This already exists you say? Aha, but this one will try to use the nearest fishing spot's fish population! And it's not a power or anything, you do it by equipping a fishing rod!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60915

wSkeever workin hard, I see. Now you can fish anywhere there's water! ...Like really anywhere, even some weird places, but gently caress it.

This already exists you say? Aha, but this one will try to use the nearest fishing spot's fish population! And it's not a power or anything, you do it by equipping a fishing rod!

That's where it's at!

Anyone ever done a staff based playthough? Any good mods to get with that? How does staff damage scale compared to doublehanding a spell? I just kind of did a sword and shield run and now I'm thinking that might be a fun next step.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i can not get over how lazy the implementation of fishing was considering you can fus a whole bunch of fish at once. turning in to hide and seek is weird

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My Wabbajack install of Elysium is failing with several files not found:

Does this mean the mod list is just out of date / corrupted and I need to wait until it's fixed? Or is this a problem on my end?

It's a little frustrating, this wabbajack client has been running on my PC for days now, I could have put together a much more modest but perfectly adequate custom mod list in one sitting.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Try running it again, it'll automatically skip past everything that downloaded correctly so it shouldn't take too long. If it was running for a few days most likely something updated/changed in that time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the tip. However, in troubleshooting the issue I realized that, uh, Elysium isn't the Requiem based modlist that I wanted, Serenity is. I had downloaded both at one point and didn't pay enough attention this time. So, uh, problem solved!?

Edit: Serenity is failing as well. However, it seems that perhaps, even though I only SSE, that version may have received an anniversary edition update I need to patch out? I'm trying that.

Edit: Yes, that was the issue. I don't own the Anniversary Edition but apparently my client was patched anyway and I had to run a downgrader. I'm sure most people in the thread already knew that, but maybe someone smarter than me will actually read the thread better before trying to install a mod list.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 1, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: Yes, that was the issue. I don't own the Anniversary Edition but apparently my client was patched anyway and I had to run a downgrader. I'm sure most people in the thread already knew that, but maybe someone smarter than me will actually read the thread better before trying to install a mod list.

It's not about being smart or not, it's about Bethesda poorly communicating poo poo. Since the game is still very much listed as "Skyrim Special Edition" even if you buy the Anniversary Edition, it's perfectly reasonable for someone who hasn't been paying minute attention to a 10 year old game that the AE is an entirely different thing. The way they handled it is kind of a kludge, but, like, that's the most Bethesda poo poo ever.

Meanwhile, it looks like DAR has been updated. The author literally communicated nothing for more than a year and then, like some sort of modding deity, comes back to update their mod out of the blue, without warning. Gotta love it.

I'm still hoping the .NET Script Framework will get updated for AE sometime soon, because I'm getting a crash that I can't isolate just from starting a new game/loading any cell through the console, and the diagnostic log from that mod would help me immensely right now. Plus, I have one or two mods that have it as a requirement.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ynglaur posted:

It is dead. Even Techangel, the guy who now works on Realistic Water 2 left it. They never got over mod picker not picking up steam and never evolved their platform.

This is a real shame because STEP, at least around 2014 and during early days of SSE was one of the more tastefuls ways to mod the game and made me fall in love with Vanilla+ style modding. Its setup was simple and brilliant. Before then I was using MO2, but felt like I had no idea what I was doing. It was kinda involved as a modding noobie. But I felt I was learning a lot at once and I could simply trust that all the additions it made were good. AND IT WAS.

You can still use STEP for SSE on their page today and I hope there is a Wabbajack thing for it by now.

Midig fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 2, 2022

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Also, im close to being finished with my mod (Or 1/10 of my mod). Which for now alters the race of Wood elves or Bosmer. It changes the animal command spell. Similar to other mods like it, it allows you to have the companion forever if you wish and give it instructions to follow you, sit still or dismiss it. This is simply a QoL fix. Second thing it does which I think is a bit unique is that it gives the player a bonus based the animal, if you stand somewhat close to it. Most of them are sensible and some are a bit silly I admit. They basically represent a shared bond with it, you bowing a bit to its nature and learning from it.

Mudcrab: Bonus armor and walk/run faster sideways
Elk: Stronger Power attack
Spriggan: Reduced cost of spells
Fox: Better pick pocketing and increased sneak
Sabrecat: Faster Sprint speed
Bear: Bonus health

In addition to this, I though the command animal spell would provide some flat bonuses to all animals, such that they wont be one shot by arrows or hit like a wet noodle and so that you dont have to wait all the time while its lagging behind you. As such I though:

-5 flat damage reduction from melee and ranged

-Flat 5 damage bonus

-50+ hp

-25+ movespeed to slower animals (mudcrabs and horkers)

I am posting this because I am open to more ideas to make it interesting and on how to balance this. The aim is to make the command animal spell a bit more fun and to incentivize players to try it on different animals instead of just using it on bears and sabercats. I felt like this was the right way to go for Wood elves because if not I would just have to go with "shoot arrow better", which is honestly a pretty lazy thing to do IMO, as the game already gives them a higher archery skill at start of the game.

Midig fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 2, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Is the phoenix flavour similar to step? That's a vanilla plus guide and it has modules so you can do as little or as much as you want.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wiltsghost posted:

Is the phoenix flavour similar to step? That's a vanilla plus guide and it has modules so you can do as little or as much as you want.

I haven't personally tried it but the SimonMagus discord rates it really highly and a lot of people there use it including Simon himself.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Midig posted:

Mod stuff
I'm at work so I can't write up a detailed critique, but two main points: first, you may want to give scaling bonuses instead of static bonuses to the weaker companions if you want them to be combat viable, or you may want to accept that certain choices like foxes and mudcrabs might never be combat viable and make their master buffs better. Something like mudcrabs buffing Block and/or One-Handed and stuff like that. Second: I'd be wary of having any of the master buffs affect Stealth, because stealth is already a really strong playstyle, perhaps the objectively strongest way to play Skyrim.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason my new characters start at level 500 with a bunch of skills maxed out and it's annoying as hack. Is there a SE save editor to speed this up so I'm not manually entering commands?

e: Needed to update Experience and remove my custom tweaks for it and redo them for the new version

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 2, 2022

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Midig posted:

-25+ movespeed to slower animals (mudcrabs and horkers)

This all sounds really cool. Without wanting to put too much on your plate there should be some kinda bonus if you cook and eat stuff with a horker companion, to represent that they're thicc boys.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

That might actually not be a bad idea. I was going to go with frost resist to begin with. Besides its those kinda ideas I want. I tend to have quite quite a lot of inspiration when I start on something and then it just fades away when im about 50 percent done.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 2, 2022

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

I'm at work so I can't write up a detailed critique, but two main points: first, you may want to give scaling bonuses instead of static bonuses to the weaker companions if you want them to be combat viable, or you may want to accept that certain choices like foxes and mudcrabs might never be combat viable and make their master buffs better. Something like mudcrabs buffing Block and/or One-Handed and stuff like that. Second: I'd be wary of having any of the master buffs affect Stealth, because stealth is already a really strong playstyle, perhaps the objectively strongest way to play Skyrim.

At least pick pocketing makes sense to me. Since a fox cant really do anything in combat, its a dedicated urban pet.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 2, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, tracking down unhandled exception errors in SkyrimSE.exe is never fun. Even more so without .NET Script Framework being updated for AE.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A new fantastic looking menu replacer, I'm giving it a try now and love it, easy to install and looks great.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEwekC49mI

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I actually like that version. The only thing is I am worried about compatability. I think it requires quite some patches.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Midig posted:

I actually like that version. The only thing is I am worried about compatability. I think it requires quite some patches.

It’s compatible with loads of stuff out of the box, I haven’t had to patch anything!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Helith posted:

A new fantastic looking menu replacer, I'm giving it a try now and love it, easy to install and looks great.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEwekC49mI

this looks rad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I'd like to make a small mod. You have to be level 20 to buy Vlindrel Hall in Markarth and I'd like to lower that to 15. I'm know of mods that remove house purchase requirements or greatly relax them across the board, but I'd like to stick close to the vanilla experience and maybe learn a little about modding if this isn't a giant pain in the rear end. I've got the Creation Kit up and running and have been through the Character > Quest > Dialog > The Reach tree and haven't found anything. Am I looking in the wrong place or is this a bigger ask than it seems?