Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

super-redguy posted:

Job trainers in EW: There's a cutscene where the DRK 50-60 gang cameo, next to a cutscene where the RDM trainer shows up.

That's pretty neat. When should we be looking out for them? Also curious about RDM because that was my magic class for ShB before I picked up New Summoner and started leveling the heck out of it.

Oneiros posted:

i mean, the og dark trainer doesn't actually exist and everyone would rather forget that pld existed at all

Yeah, I should have clarified that I meant Sidurgu and... whatever the kid's name is. idk, i'm not actually DRK I just know all the info secondhand. Also having leveled PLD through HW I agree with that last statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Nope. Not even Hilda.

Booooooooooooooo

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Leraika posted:

mind telling me where? I don't really recall but most of the back half of the story I did in one setting with a blinding headache so my memory's a bit spotty

edit so as to not double post: speaking of drk, I just actually got around to doing the level 80 capstone quest for it (I did a lot of classes without the finish quest in my gotta get amaro rush) and god. what a way to elevate a simple concept. I wish I liked drk more/there was going to be more drk quest writing because what a fantastic questline the whole way through

During the brief cutscenes that cut around to the cities foreshadowing the Blasphemies turning and kicking off the role quests. You can just barely catch the X'rhun walking about Ala Mhigo, and Sid & Rielle going toward the Forgotten Knight.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Theris posted:

Normally when I give up and look up a guide for stuff like this my reaction upon reading the guide is "oh duh how could I be so stupid?" In this case I absolutely cannot fathom how anyone would be able to do it without a guide so I'll second the fear and admiration.

To show my thought process:
Towards wisdom aspiring, a keeper doth gaze,
By young minds inquiring and new trails blazed.
Yet the mind is a muscle, in rest it doth grow,
So let all embrace slumber, the better to know.

For this one, Thaliak is repeatedly mentioned as a keeper of wisdom, and the last three lines are about a student and how sleeping's good for you. So, I ran around the harbor near Thaliak's statue looking for a sleeping or tired student. When I didn't find anyone, I checked out the cliffs that overlook the harbor, towards the statue. When I found the tired student, I tried talking to them and there was a very conspicuous daze in the description, which /daze is stuck in my mind because FFXIV doesn't have a /sleep and I keep trying to use it.

By life ever-flowing, a keeper doth wait,
Clutching a prize, his hunger to sate.
Yet no prize is so coveted as one golden-hued,
The mention of which is never thought rude.

"Flowing life" is often used to refer to rivers, because clean water is insanely important for civilization. There's two rivers in Old Sharlayan, so I just wandered up and down the banks looking for anything that stood out. I'll admit I didn't see anything and did the third objective first.

Blessed by the nymphai, a keeper doth stand,
Enthralled in a tale, a book in his hand.
Yet evocative as letters on parchment may be,
'Tis words said and heard which impel destiny.

I had no idea where to start for this one, since I didn't know what they meant by "nymphai." Before looking up what that could mean, I decided to check the location names on the map since they've referenced them in the past. Sure enough, there's "The Nymphaeum" sitting there, so I walked around looking for someone holding a book. Expecting I'd have to put something in /say since "words said and heard impel destiny," I tried talking to them for another hint on what to do, but nope, that was all that needed to be done.

So I went back to the rivers and noticed the nutkin. Remembering they're almost always shown holding an acorn, I tried talking to them. With no extra hints from that, and already remembering /say from the third clue that didn't use it, I decided to try various things, like gold, golden, acorn, nut and so on, but nothing worked so I eventually looked it up and felt a bit silly.

Oneiros posted:

i mean, the og dark trainer doesn't actually exist and everyone would rather forget that pld existed at all

Yeah, but I wanted the GLD trainers to show up. :argh:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Gruckles posted:

During the brief cutscenes that cut around to the cities foreshadowing the Blasphemies turning and kicking off the role quests. You can just barely catch the X'rhun walking about Ala Mhigo, and Sid & Rielle going toward the Forgotten Knight.

Ah, okay yeah I remember that. Thanks!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Also regarding trainer cameos, SAM and RGE get representation at the very start in the cutscene where you're first getting in the ship to Old Sharlayan. The main SAM character walks right by the RGE antagonist that's a captain of the Yellowjackets.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Leraika posted:

mind telling me where? I don't really recall but most of the back half of the story I did in one setting with a blinding headache so my memory's a bit spotty

edit so as to not double post: speaking of drk, I just actually got around to doing the level 80 capstone quest for it (I did a lot of classes without the finish quest in my gotta get amaro rush) and god. what a way to elevate a simple concept. I wish I liked drk more/there was going to be more drk quest writing because what a fantastic questline the whole way through

Here are the screenshots I took of them:

I was to slow to screencap the PLD trainer directly. He's (loving finally!) the Sultana's bodyguard when you meet the three nations' leaders before the invasion of Garlemald.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 28, 2021

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

TGLT posted:

Talking about class trainers, I am extremely disappointed none of the Astro folks made a cameo. Like if Leveva was going to have a shot of returning to Sharlayan it seems like now would be the time. Do any of them show up at all in the Ishgard role quests?

Sevestre cameos in the Forum, being a member and all. He's one of the guys who absolutely isn't down for the Scion plan.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Here are the screenshots I took of them:

One trainer that wasn't mentioned as spotted before in that first screenshot: That's the dancer trainer on viewer right

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OddObserver posted:

One trainer that wasn't mentioned as spotted before in that first screenshot: That's the dancer trainer on viewer right

Neat! I haven't started on that job yet.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Endwalker Job Trainers: I was REALLY hoping for some BLU representation, maybe seeing Martyn show up somewhere. But I think the closes thing to BLU reps were that Zinberk and his dad showing up in the cutscene with Nanamo in Uldah.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Theris posted:

Normally when I give up and look up a guide for stuff like this my reaction upon reading the guide is "oh duh how could I be so stupid?" In this case I absolutely cannot fathom how anyone would be able to do it without a guide so I'll second the fear and admiration.

I had to be clued into the fact that this quest required emotes/say but after that the first clue was pretty straightforward. The third I found eventually by scouring the entire city. But that second one, hoo boy

The way I imagine someone figuring it out only from in-game material is the friggin MINION DESCRIPTION says "the Nutkin seeks the legendary Golden Acorn" lol

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had to be clued into the fact that this quest required emotes/say but after that the first clue was pretty straightforward. The third I found eventually by scouring the entire city. But that second one, hoo boy

The way I imagine someone figuring it out only from in-game material is the friggin MINION DESCRIPTION says "the Nutkin seeks the legendary Golden Acorn" lol

It's definitely a clever puzzle and I felt bad for not being able to do it after many minutes of scouring and not knowing what else I needed to do. I just felt a little disappointed with the reward, even if I understand why it was displayed the way it was.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Just came back after a few years- should i get both my retainers over level 60 or are they obsolete now?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hyskari/status/1475628673835360268?s=20

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WrightOfWay posted:

I think with bosses that auto center it can still be a good idea to move them back manually because the boss suddenly teleporting a long way will lose more uptime than manual movement. But obviously this depends on how far the boss needs to move and how long you have before it auto centers. I'm also generally a proponent of leaving the boss whatever direction they're facing instead of facing them north unless you have a good reason not to. But some people seem to really struggle with boss relative positioning for mechanics somehow and it's easier to just take the path of least resistance in PF sometimes even when it's not ideal.

It seems to be the people who turn their camera to be facing the same way every time, vs the people who just let it fly around wherever it wants

If your camera positioning is consistent relative to the boss (which tends to be true for melees who need to hit positionals, at least), boss-relative is much easier because, to you, it's the same thing every time. If you don't fix the camera after every mechanic, using waymarks as an absolute position is going to be easier becase, in your world, that's what it means to be the same thing every time. IT's all very frustrating when your party is split down the middle on which is easier for them

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

What cheetah is saying is "gently caress boss relative, forever"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
no I'm saying the exact opposite absolute positioning is the devil control your drat camera

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

What cheetah is saying is "gently caress boss relative, forever"

The cowardly one

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cheetah7071 posted:

no I'm saying the exact opposite absolute positioning is the devil control your drat camera

Cluttering the battlefield with meaningless waymarks for absolute positioning degenerates is a mark of how far we've fallen :colbert:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Just came back after a few years- should i get both my retainers over level 60 or are they obsolete now?

It's worth doing, but not like critically urgent. If you like gil, they're basically a way to roll some dice and every now and then they'll come back with something decent to throw on the mb. I don't really use them this way much at all, but they're a lazy gathering option if you craft too.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

circling back to the ew job trainer cameos for a sec, you can spot jenlyns, the paladin mentor during the scene where [msq 83] merlwyb, kan-e-senna, and nanamo ask you to join the ilsabard contingent

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sinteres posted:

It's worth doing, but not like critically urgent. If you like gil, they're basically a way to roll some dice and every now and then they'll come back with something decent to throw on the mb. I don't really use them this way much at all, but they're a lazy gathering option if you craft too.

Especially convenient for a few materials that are time-dependent gathering, since you can just send them out without worrying about Eorzea time.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Especially convenient for a few materials that are time-dependent gathering, since you can just send them out without worrying about Eorzea time.

Combat class retainers are also good for stockpiling stuff like leather or wool which are annoying to manually farm.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We're into the second week of Pandaemonium, just a reminder for folks trying to minmax their tokens:
P1: has everything
P2: has everything
P3: no boots
P4: no helm

I don't know why they do it that way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
plus the gatherers have a small chance of bringing genuinely good poo poo that sells well like currently the crab minion for level 81 explorations and all so it's never a bad idea to have them at least doing something

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It's worth noting that the yields on crafting material ventures, especially for lower-level stuff, got buffs with the removal of HQ materials. The new potions require lavender from level 80 nodes? My level 90 botanist retainer gets them 50 at a time now. Nice way to stock up while I'm doing roulettes or whatever.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Any idea or guesses as to when we can transfer worlds again? I’m on a random server and want to transfer to Excalibur to play with goons now that I finally got past msq and am doing side stuff but it’s been locked for a few weeks now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Magil Zeal posted:

It's worth noting that the yields on crafting material ventures, especially for lower-level stuff, got buffs with the removal of HQ materials. The new potions require lavender from level 80 nodes? My level 90 botanist retainer gets them 50 at a time now. Nice way to stock up while I'm doing roulettes or whatever.

oh poo poo I didn't know that, that's very useful

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

We're into the second week of Pandaemonium, just a reminder for folks trying to minmax their tokens:
P1: has everything
P2: has everything
P3: no boots
P4: no helm

I don't know why they do it that way.

Thanks, this helps since I am shooting for boots and two accessories this week but I couldn't remember which drops P3 and P4 don't have.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Isn't ultima thule also the closest you can get to "final fantasy" in Latin?

I don't know Latin

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 28, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I did manage to solve most of the Sharlayan treasure hunt puzzle on my own. The only part I didn't figure out on my own was the /say golden acorn part; that one I got by watching another player run up and do it while I was experimenting with various emotes at the nutkin. Everything else I got on my own though, including figuring out where the third guy would be because I had talked to an NPC in that area back around when I first arrived in Old Sharlayan, and knew that those fountains were dedicated to the water spirits the poem mentioned.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I keep seeing P3 and P4 and without fail my mind goes to Persona first.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

I keep seeing P3 and P4 and without fail my mind goes to Persona first.

I like the music in Panda 4 but I agree that a Primals cover of Time to Make History would be even better.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't know Latin

While I can't answer that question since I don't understand Latin, I do understand Japanese and the Japanese name for the lvl 90 dungeon is literally 【最終幻想 レムナント】 or Saishuu Gensou Remunanto which if you wanted to could be translated as "Final Fantasy: Remnant(s)". By the looks of it 最終幻想 or 最终幻想 is even the official Chinese name of the series.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 28, 2021

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't know Latin

Not sure that "Furthest Iceland" is really what square was going for with the name.

"Ultima Fantasia" or maybe "Finitima Fantasia" if you want to use words with the same origin, I think, but then I also don't know latin.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Latin for fantasy is phantasia.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xerophyte posted:

Not sure that "Furthest Iceland" is really what square was going for with the name.

"Ultima Fantasia" or maybe "Finitima Fantasia" if you want to use words with the same origin, I think, but then I also don't know latin.

I think it's the closest you get to "Final Fantasy" in Latin while also preserving the Greek/Roman conception of "Ultima Thule" as the furthest place out in (known) existence, as well as being a general term for something impossible or remote.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
for fellow reapers not so good at making sure the debuff is always up, here's a handy macro:

code:
/micon "Shadow of Death"
/ac "Shadow of Death" <t>
/wait 25
/e <se.1> press the butan
You can do this for aoe, as well. This works well for me and I don't mind the half second loss from using a combat macro. It's worth it for universal uptime and I don't have to use any third party tool to do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don't know the Reaper rotation very well but wouldn't you just keep your debuff lined up with Soul Slice / Scythe and use that timer to keep track in your head? It goes up to a max of 60s so it seems like you can kind of just re-up it whenever it's vaguely convenient even if there's like 15s left on the effect