Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I scrolled up and saw someone refer to it. Alright then I’ll just do whatever. I just didn’t want to miss out this time.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
I finished the whole Khonsu quest line and unlocked khonsu ra for fusion. I swear I also saw a message saying I unlocked Khonsu as well but I can’t fuse Khonsu Ra because I don’t have a normal Khonsu, nor does he appear in either reverse compendium fusion or special fusions. Is there something I’m missing?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing you don't have any of his pre reqs? Horus is one I believe

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Gaius Marius posted:

Weird maybe. I have the vast majority of the compendium filled out but there’s definitely some gaps

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yarrington posted:

Weird maybe. I have the vast majority of the compendium filled out but there’s definitely some gaps

Yarrington posted:

I actually just had a thought. Have you done the Amon quest yet? I think you might need to finish that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When in doubt always try to do every sidequest you either have active or can see on the map as an icon to start, and talk to any newly updated NPCs (the Fairy Village especially has a few times you need to talk to folks there to advance some quests).

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

It was that. I just fused missing Egyptian deities and got it quick, thanks

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So before I do "The Egyptians' Fate" side quest, is there a way to end it without fighting or do you have to fight Khonsu?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The latter.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gaius Marius posted:

That was the first Abcess I took out, getting there took one death and a ton of healing forcing my way between the spawns, but once you get there, If you've got a demon with PhysBlock it literally can't do anything. It took me forever to kill it
Yeah, the game gives you lots of ways to cheese poo poo by the time you hit the 4th area. And none of the endgame content (not counting DLC, which I haven't tried) is as exacting as e.g. TDE in Nocturne, so you don't really have to conserve essences or anything. When I was playing I was way too worried about saving essences for an imagined TDE-esque endboss that was going to require a lot of tweaking to defeat, and then in the actual event all of the endgame bosses were total chumps compared to (optional neutral path boss in the 4th area) Shiva, who by the time I was ready to fight him I was overqualified for everything else the rest of the game had to throw at me. Like in the neutral path you have to, as usual, fight (what I assume are) the bosses from the other paths. And for the first one I didn't use any special poo poo (expensive buffs and debuffs, magatsuhi abilities, and so on) because they were going down so fast I figured they had to have a couple more forms/phases and was just lol when it turned out that was all they had.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
that's a wrap. went chaos and found the ending fairly underwhelming, other than the credits song, which is an all-timer

guess I'll play 3 now? though I've heard there are a lot of dungeons in that game, which were my least favorite part of this one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

that's a wrap. went chaos and found the ending fairly underwhelming, other than the credits song, which is an all-timer

guess I'll play 3 now? though I've heard there are a lot of dungeons in that game, which were my least favorite part of this one

When you finish 3 you'll wish there were more dungeons in 5

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nocturne has some good dungeons, some bad dungeons, and some meh dungeons.

I think you'l find the endings and routes more satisfying in Nocturne, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zeus is kicking my rear end in area 4. His impaler > aoe is usually a full party wipe and my debuffs start losing MP and time by the time he’s that low. Is it my level? He’s almost 10 levels higher than me, but to this point I’ve never had to stop and grind

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
both me and my brother's reactions to finishing V has been to go back and play nocturne
Chiaki's reason scene is still one of the most striking things in the series, can confirm.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Zeus is kicking my rear end in area 4. His impaler > aoe is usually a full party wipe and my debuffs start losing MP and time by the time he’s that low. Is it my level? He’s almost 10 levels higher than me, but to this point I’ve never had to stop and grind

i think you're meant to explore the area fully before fighting the bosses since they're all way higher level than you but the area isn't, i had the same experience when i first fought zeus.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i also started replaying nocturne after SMT withdrawal set in after 5 and as amazingly as 5 plays it's easily the weakest in terms of story and world and feel and tone etc. etc. out of the SMT games from nocturne onwards other than devil survivor 2 maybe, but at least that one was weird enough to be interesting. i hope they do a big chunky re-release of a lot of the DS era games because they were pretty drat good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

as good as they've gotten on the graphical side of things, i feel like writing overall has gotten less interesting or deep as time has gone on
but then again that's what happens to a studio that gets acquired twice

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Is he the first plot boss you're pickin a fight with in that area? I took on some bosses at a 10-level disadvantage and scraped by, but I think by the time I got to Zeus I was only 4-5 levels behind.

You shouldn't have to grind, and there's ways to mitigate party wipe attacks, but there should be enough content that you can pick up some levels and come back. I've faced a couple bosses that could wipe my party in a single attack, and I've managed by just doing other quests and coming back.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

within 10 levels is doable.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Neeksy posted:

as good as they've gotten on the graphical side of things, i feel like writing overall has gotten less interesting or deep as time has gone on

i don't think the writing has necessarily gotten worse - you still have some excellent writing in 5, it just so happens to be squirreled away in demon negotiations and (especially) in the hidden conversations between demons in battle, or the occasional boss, while all the central actors in the plot are boring and predictable, or underwritten to the point of barely existing, or both. up until you get towards the end when things get spiced up a bit with the different gods but that's too little too late.

(plot spoilers below)

like the premise of the game is cool - god is dead, you are a new god - and it really feels like they should've dropped the typical SMT plot structure of competing alignments and classmates that stay with you throughout the game, which the game itself barely seems interested in, in favour of lots of smaller sub-stories throughout the world. get rid of irl tokyo (why is it even in the game?) and just have the world be blown up, the MC can explore the world, dealing with regional power structures that have been set up by big boy demons, either to acquire power or in lust for battle, or to try and impose organisation on a broken world, or to prevent the baddies from being nasty bad guys, which can determine your alignment, maybe have some other competing nahobinos doing the same throughout the game which you can ally with or fight in the end. instead you get this strange dissonance in the plot where you are an all powerful being which has absolutely no agency and all of the final bosses don't really feel that special because they have no motivations other than generic law/chaos binary logic and you're only fighting them because that's what's supposed to happen in an SMT game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Just to be clear, SMT Nocturne's dungeons are much better designed, with a lot more interactivity and puzzles in its nature. I can understand not wanting to do SMT dungeons if V is your main exposure to the series, but I assure you that 3 has some excellent dungeons (and some alright ones, and, depending on your tastes, maybe a few bad ones)

It also uses random battles, which you can control in limited amounts, plus it also has a warning indicator before a battle happens so you can still prepare for one without being too off guard (reinforcements though.....)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I feel like we should have been getting rival Nahobinos trying to sway you like at the start of the 3rd map. Maybe the game is just too short.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tired Moritz posted:

I feel like we should have been getting rival Nahobinos trying to sway you like at the start of the 3rd map. Maybe the game is just too short.

i just got to the third area and i'm disappointed that Lhamu didn't have an actual Nahobino form with Sayori.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just to reiterate people's qualms with the story in V, I've explored a good chunk of area 4 and the only reason I know who the chaos rep is in this game is through elimination. I'm in the last few hours of the game and still not a single thing they've said sounds like chaos (So much as typical cop misanthropy ). The neutral route almost sounds more chaos than chaos what with wanting to proliferate the old gods.

Question before I decide alignment though - is chaos a non-ending in this or is it close to neutral in terms of content? Already decided law is for chumps.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Just to reiterate people's qualms with the story in V, I've explored a good chunk of area 4 and the only reason I know who the chaos rep is in this game is through elimination. I'm in the last few hours of the game and still not a single thing they've said sounds like chaos (So much as typical cop misanthropy ). The neutral route almost sounds more chaos than chaos what with wanting to proliferate the old gods.

Question before I decide alignment though - is chaos a non-ending in this or is it close to neutral in terms of content? Already decided law is for chumps.

Yakumo is Neutral, Tsukuyomi is Chaos. It's not yur fault for confusing the two, though. Yuzuru is the most nothing character and Yakumo is the only interesting character.

I think every ending except "True Neutral" has the exact same level of content?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 28, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neeksy posted:

both me and my brother's reactions to finishing V has been to go back and play nocturne
Chiaki's reason scene is still one of the most striking things in the series, can confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvHTjsW2B0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C54_QS5l3sI

Two cutscenes. That's all it takes. Two well-directed, well-written scenes is all it takes to make characters unforgettable and get across their beliefs.

Sadly certain other games can't handle even this.

Foul Fowl posted:

i also started replaying nocturne after SMT withdrawal set in after 5 and as amazingly as 5 plays it's easily the weakest in terms of story and world and feel and tone etc. etc. out of the SMT games from nocturne onwards other than devil survivor 2 maybe, but at least that one was weird enough to be interesting. i hope they do a big chunky re-release of a lot of the DS era games because they were pretty drat good.

DeSu 2 doesn't get enough credit for its writing. It has a huge and great cast of characters (and Keita). I see a lot of parallels between it and Nocturne's Reasons too as it's centered on human ideologies and whether you will enforce hat ideology on the world. Yamato is one of the best Chaos reps in the franchise. Although even the arguments about whether he or Anguished One is true Chaos Rep is also fascinating and shows the depths of DeSu 2's writing.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Tired Moritz posted:

the game is long as hell, it's just paced terribly. there were so many long stretches of nothing they could have used for...literally anything story related

I will be playing Nocturne in the coming months, thanks ya'll

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've also got a hankering for more SMT after beating V, so I've been playing Strange Journey Redux. Gotta say I like the Press Turn system a lot more than the battle system in this game. Do I get anything for fully filling out the map in each area? I've been doing it because FOMO demands me to but drat these damage squares are draining a lot of my resources.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Maybe the game is just too short.

I don't think you can say the game is too short, just that the story is poorly paced throughout it. The areas are huge and take a long time to explore and do sidequests etc, I just finished the DLC superboss and my save file is a little over 100 hours. It's a very big game, just the story scenes are spread so thin that you tend to forget about the story at all in the 10+ hours that it takes to explore one of the major areas. There's a lot of interesting ideas but they all end up feeling underutilized. People say that Nocturne also had minimal storytelling but it was better paced and more present than in this game.

Neeksy posted:

I agree though I don't think the key creative staff changing is directly due to getting acquired. Specifically just there was a big change in the all the key creative staff between Nocturne and 4-5 same as there was between Persona 1-2 and 3-5. In the case of Persona and probably mainline SMT also it was well before the first time they got acquired.

Foul Fowl posted:

get rid of irl tokyo (why is it even in the game?)

The idea itself isn't bad as a twist on the usual post apocalypse and it would have been cool if they actually did much of anything with it. I think it's basically incompatible with the open world-like game it is and would belong better in a game similar to Devil Summoner or Persona. I also 95% of the time forgot that it was in the game at all. Pretty sure even the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado had more screen time.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Yakumo is Neutral, Tsukuyomi is Chaos. It's not yur fault for confusing the two, though. Yuzuru is the most nothing character and Yakumo is the only interesting character.

I think every ending except "True Neutral" has the exact same level of content?

My God lol, I was more confused than I thought.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

V has a good outline for a decent story and character arcs, it just needed to expand on those ideas instead of forgetting about them for hours at a time. Like, literally anything more than what we got would have been better.

I've been brainstorming ways of how they could have fleshed out the human characters more without necessarily needing more cutscenes. What if periodically throughout the game, Yuzuru and Ichiro could send text messages to you, showing off their thoughts and side adventures when offscreen? TMS did it, why couldn't they do it here? Don't worry about the mechanics of cellular coverage in Da'at, it's magic demon technology. Or maybe Bethel could require its members to send in reports of what they encountered that day, and you could collect those reports. To me, these are all easy solutions to reveal more about the characters without having to do more cutscenes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think if SMTV does go multiplatform it'll be a director's cut with the Atlus executive mandated new mysterious girl character. Hopefully it'll flesh out the alignment representatives. I like the text messages idea. Maybe throw in some side quests involving them.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

NikkolasKing posted:

DeSu 2 doesn't get enough credit for its writing. It has a huge and great cast of characters (and Keita). I see a lot of parallels between it and Nocturne's Reasons too as it's centered on human ideologies and whether you will enforce hat ideology on the world. Yamato is one of the best Chaos reps in the franchise. Although even the arguments about whether he or Anguished One is true Chaos Rep is also fascinating and shows the depths of DeSu 2's writing.

i haven't played DeSu 2 in like a decade plus and to its credit i very vividly remember a lot of it, i just remember being a teenager who was pissed off at fighting abstract shapes which weren't as cool and badass and radical as the demons. i also was/am a huge huge fan of DeSu 1 and in typical teenager fashion i wanted to hate 2 because it wasn't the same game.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Started play Devil survivor on the 3ds, does the music ever get better or is it the same the whole way through? Thinking I should just play podcasts with it on mute.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DemoneeHo posted:

Don't worry about the mechanics of cellular coverage in Da'at, it's magic demon technology.

It's already in the game, lol. Yuzuru calls you on the phone once, after you get the scoop on the Tokyo Diet Building, and you plan to meet there. It just never shows up again.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
How do I find this angel in the Nagacho area? I keep getting lost and/or chased by that white tiger. All my main quests are 'done' in blue, so I guess I gotta slap Eligor at some point, but I am bad at finding things.

Edit: I think I found it. Maybe.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 29, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CharlestonJew posted:

Do I get anything for fully filling out the map in each area? I've been doing it because FOMO demands me to but drat these damage squares are draining a lot of my resources.

Rewards in an optional late-game quest (which can't be solved on non-NG+ runs), so if you don't need the area, feel free to skip.

Also I forget if the giant mapper aid the app that makes your search range add things to the map is NG or NG+ only. God that thing rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

V has a good outline for a decent story and character arcs, it just needed to expand on those ideas instead of forgetting about them for hours at a time. Like, literally anything more than what we got would have been better.

I've been brainstorming ways of how they could have fleshed out the human characters more without necessarily needing more cutscenes. What if periodically throughout the game, Yuzuru and Ichiro could send text messages to you, showing off their thoughts and side adventures when offscreen? TMS did it, why couldn't they do it here? Don't worry about the mechanics of cellular coverage in Da'at, it's magic demon technology. Or maybe Bethel could require its members to send in reports of what they encountered that day, and you could collect those reports. To me, these are all easy solutions to reveal more about the characters without having to do more cutscenes.

Something that the first game in the series did well, oddly enough, was having the alignment characters just be characters YOU HAVE IN YOUR PARTY and therefore become dependent on them and watch them devolve down their routes and then lose them as allies, taking a huge chunk of your current strategy and party with it. That gives you moments for the characters to give commentary on things as they play out, or to have battle interactions that the player gives meaning to. 4 kind of used this method as well, although it was far more limited in use.

If the other characters accompanied you on missions, kind of like how Tao was a helper character, there could have been some kind of player stake in how these characters play out not just narratively but as members of your team, or just give them moments to actually… do stuff other than gate you out of an area you want to explore or show up just to separate again for no strategic reason.

I think the text message solution could work, but at the same time that feels more of a Persona or Devil Survivor-feeling kind of solution, whereas SMT has a more apocalyptic, Things Aren't Normal kind of feeling. I agree that it would add more opportunities for character commentary/flavor/development or even just exposition, but it's something you could attach to it currently rather than changing how the players feel or interact with the characters on a deeper strategic/gameplay level, which I think needs to also happen here. Essentially a "why not both" approach haha I think I want to actually be like "aw gently caress i didn't want to lose that character" on multiple levels.