Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If we have to keep pretending Captain Marvel is a character people like despite the mounting pile of evidence to the contrary, and slotting her into cartoons from the 80's and 90's is the only way to get anyone to give a poo poo about her... do it.

Maybe her class can fight Rick Moranis' class from Gravedale High. At least it'd be something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Everyone pitching their ideas for Carol with kids. I'm going to buck the trend and go the opposite way. Carol taking care of old folks! Not only do you avoid the comicbook problem of introducing child characters who either age too slowly / not fast enough, but who doesn't want to see a bunch of grizzled, cantankerous aliens and cosmic adventurers? She can teach them, they can teach her.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Captain Marvel: Space Hospice works too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

hopefully Gillen has more creative involvement here than he did on AvX

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1475511884778512387?s=21

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1475904633495117826?s=20

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I’m still recovering from the knowledge that Gravedale High and Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School weren’t the same thing, like my mind had convinced me they were.

Or that I’m old enough to remember both.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How many Skrulls does Carol kill on an issue by issue basis in this hypothetical?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm behind due to reading through Unlimited but I just finished Moon Knight #3 and holy poo poo! I am absolutely loving your writing for Spector and Badr, Vulpes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

Everyone pitching their ideas for Carol with kids. I'm going to buck the trend and go the opposite way. Carol taking care of old folks! Not only do you avoid the comicbook problem of introducing child characters who either age too slowly / not fast enough, but who doesn't want to see a bunch of grizzled, cantankerous aliens and cosmic adventurers? She can teach them, they can teach her.

Carol teaming up with the Golden Age Girls has promise. Blonde Phantom, Miss America, Venus, and Golden Girl, if you want to be way too one the nose.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I feel like Marvel has a strong roster of female characters at this point which makes their obsession with carol stand out even more. Carol’s books always reminds me of people who don’t understand Superman writing Superman if that makes sense. I feel like the MCU will figure Carol out probably and that version will get ported over.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lord Packinham posted:

I feel like Marvel has a strong roster of female characters at this point which makes their obsession with carol stand out even more. Carol’s books always reminds me of people who don’t understand Superman writing Superman if that makes sense. I feel like the MCU will figure Carol out probably and that version will get ported over.

The roster's size has never been the problem. It's that almost all of the best female characters at Marvel are either Sue Richards or on the X-Men.

Meanwhile, the Avengers books were written by total dipshits for so long that most of the female characters associated with the franchise have metric tons of baggage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord Packinham posted:

It's Marvel Comics (and Marvel Studios if we bring the movies in) and her superhero name is Captain Marvel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

It's Marvel Comics (and Marvel Studios if we bring the movies in) and her superhero name is Captain Marvel.

Considering the treatment of previous Captain Marvel characters, Marvel does not historically think that is very important.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lord Packinham posted:

Does anyone understand Superman? He's just like some weird alien overgod who infiltrated society and tries to mimic human emotions. You can't really relate to that character.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 29, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does anyone understand Superman? He's just like some weird alien overgod who infiltrated society and tries to mimic human emotions. You can't really relate to that character.

I mean clearly you don't if you think that's the character.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

cant cook creole bream posted:

I dunno, Grant Morrison did a really good job in All-Star Superman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This run of Captain Marvel has been pretty good and I think she's likeable in it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

She-Hulk is coming back. The solicits for March I think issue 3 said it is the funniest, sexiest book on stands. This is a bold claim, and I am skeptical of this. Is Marvel bringing sexy back? Do these words mean anything, in what manner will the book be the sexiest? Do they know about some of the other competing comics? They've thrown down a gauntlet here.

"A SMASHING RETURN! GUEST STARS! AND THE FUNNIEST, SEXIEST BOOK ON THE STANDS!"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Marvel is putting Aspen Comics on notice. :blastu:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

Marvel is putting Aspen Comics on notice. :blastu:

Zenescope Comics suddenly waking up in a cold sweat and they don't know why.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

She-Hulk is coming back. The solicits for March I think issue 3 said it is the funniest, sexiest book on stands. This is a bold claim, and I am skeptical of this. Is Marvel bringing sexy back? Do these words mean anything, in what manner will the book be the sexiest? Do they know about some of the other competing comics? They've thrown down a gauntlet here.

"A SMASHING RETURN! GUEST STARS! AND THE FUNNIEST, SEXIEST BOOK ON THE STANDS!"

Is Frank Cho drawing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

This run of Captain Marvel has been pretty good and I think she's likeable in it.

I did drop off it but I wasn't not enjoying it, and it seems kind of odd to me the complaints because, like you can make the same points about like 80% of cape comics these days. Who does Batman hang out with that's not a superhero? Superman? The X-Men? The FF? Black Panther?

That's not actually a complaint because if the relationships themselves are compelling then it's fine. If anything I think the biggest issue a lot of characters have is there's not really a 'default' that can be reverted back to. Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, Superman, there's a 'baseline'. Batman is a loner with maybe a few proteges living in Wayne Manor with Alfred and fights bank robbers and serial killers in Gotham. Spider-Man is a broke grad student who pays the bills selling photos of himself to the news while fighting crime in NYC. The X-Men run a school for mutants, Superman is secretly Clark Kent, ace reporter for the Daily Planet. But Captain Marvel doesn't have that, Spider-Woman doesn't have that, even Moon Knight doesn't have it. And it's not even the creative teams' faults, because I'm sure every idea they have is something they're sure will be amazing and maybe even iconic enough to reset back to at the end of their run... until the next team blow it all up because they have a better idea that will shake up the non-existant status quo, missing the point that the status is NEVER quo.

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011

Lord Packinham posted:

I think originally Carol was pushed as a heroine with a strong link to both the Avengers and the X-Men. She's become basically exclusively an Avengers character as the Avengers have become more and more Marvel's premier franchise, but I think her X-ties were more important when she got her first modern ongoing out of House of M. Carol also had a great turn in Claremont's 1970s Ms Marvel run and later in his 80s X-Men, and I think that had a lot to do with her return to prominence in the mid-2000s, since that's when creators who grew up with that era of comics were running the show.

Now I think it has more to do with how she's become Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman. She's not really much like Diana at all, but she's a heavy hitter and a stand-alone brand, which is unique among Marvel's women, so it makes sense she was singled out for MCU treatment. There are characters with more defined niches, e.g. Elektra or She-Hulk, but they're generally either antiheroic or strongly associated with a male hero or a team.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, she's a legacy character. but no one really cares that much about mar-vell any more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, she's a legacy character. but no one really cares that much about mar-vell any more.

More people care about Genis than ever cared about Marv.

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011
Yeah exactly. Carol has more to do with Mar-Vell than Jessica Drew does with Peter Parker, but Carol has already eclipsed the original Captain Marvel while Jess is never going to eclipse Spider-Man.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rhyno posted:

I mean, that one run where Genis went crazy was more interesting than anything Marv ever did, including dying.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Latkje posted:

Now I think it has more to do with how she's become Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman. She's not really much like Diana at all, but she's a heavy hitter and a stand-alone brand, which is unique among Marvel's women, so it makes sense she was singled out for MCU treatment. There are characters with more defined niches, e.g. Elektra or She-Hulk, but they're generally either antiheroic or strongly associated with a male hero or a team.

I would honestly argue that they're more trying to make her Marvel's answer to Superman. Like, maybe I'm just misremembering, but I feel like Marvel has put in a lot of effort in the past few years in her book/books she guests in to make it feel like she's the most powerful (Earth-based) character in the Marvel U. And aside from that they retconned her into literally being part-alien, she's got a red/blue/yellow color scheme (that one's a joke, I know that's a really common hero color scheme), all the pieces are there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

captain marvel is goku, actually

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Alaois posted:

captain marvel is goku, actually

I definitely think that Marvel wants Carol to be their Superman, and I think they have largely succeeded. She constantly has a book people don't read or like that occasionally has good bits that reminded you that she IS a good character actually and it is just a shame this run is mostly crummy. She is certainly positioned as a less likeable Superman in the film universe.

Even more, the best thing about the character is a younger spinoff character that young people actually do seem to care about somewhat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ironically people would be thrilled if Captain Marvel had an arc where she had a mullet

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I would honestly argue that they're more trying to make her Marvel's answer to Superman. Like, maybe I'm just misremembering, but I feel like Marvel has put in a lot of effort in the past few years in her book/books she guests in to make it feel like she's the most powerful (Earth-based) character in the Marvel U. And aside from that they retconned her into literally being part-alien, she's got a red/blue/yellow color scheme (that one's a joke, I know that's a really common hero color scheme), all the pieces are there.

Yeah, she's story-wise more in a Superman niche. (There's also a bit of Hal Jordan in there, in that she's a pilot with space ties and a cocky personality, but also comes across as bland and unlikable when he's written poorly.) But I think they wanted to have a character they could point at and say, look, our premier female superhero. When her book relaunched as Captain Marvel it was the only female-led ongoing in their line, they were truly at a dire place with that representation, and that was a huge part of the initial fanbase for that book. (I know it was impressed on me that if I didn't pre-order Captain Marvel, the company would just write off female protagonists for a long while.) And Carol does have a lot of feminist themes going back to her first series, they're really prominent in the movie, too.

I'm not sure Marvel really needs a "premier female hero" that way, but it was definitely a huge gap in their publishing line and their films, for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CBR has an article about Timeless #1, something that I hadn't gotten up to yet but there's a major spoiler page and I am extremely excited for what this could mean.

The URL has a spoiler in it so I'm not linking anything as of right now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

CBR has an article about Timeless #1, something that I hadn't gotten up to yet but there's a major spoiler page and I am extremely excited for what this could mean.

The URL has a spoiler in it so I'm not linking anything as of right now.

Is this it? Spoilers, obviously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes!

I forgot how to VB code stuff like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's odd that it's taken this long.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Holy jumping, that's huge! A World War Hulk type story where Thing has at last re-embraced being Blackbeard and leads legions of pirates against the world's heroes?! Make Mine Marvel!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

In a way Mar-vell reminds me of Barry Allen in the best thing he ever did was die. And happily we haven't been subjected to attempts to bring him back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

In a way Mar-vell reminds me of Barry Allen in the best thing he ever did was die. And happily we haven't been subjected to attempts to bring him back.

Earth X, Civil War and AVX!

I think it was Tom Brevoort who said that after Earth X they put serious consideration into reviving Mar-vell. And when they pulled the trigger with the Civil War one shot I thought using the proposed Barry Allen return from Crisis idea was pretty good. (the idea being that Barry would run into the time stream when he's about to destroy the Anti-Monitor's weapon and he'd appear in the then current day DCU. He'd stick around and have some adventures but he'd be aware that at some point he'd have to return to finish the job).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
the marketing around Timeless was pretty misleading, IMO - I was led to believe that this would be equivalent to the Incoming one-shot from 2019, using Kang as a framing device to tease various upcoming Marvel storylines, but instead, the vast majority is just a Kang story, with only a smattering of panels and lines of dialogue teasing 2022 storylines. This isn't really a complaint, to be fair, it makes for a better comic

the last-page reveal had me audibly groaning, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Earth X, Civil War and AVX!

I think it was Tom Brevoort who said that after Earth X they put serious consideration into reviving Mar-vell. And when they pulled the trigger with the Civil War one shot I thought using the proposed Barry Allen return from Crisis idea was pretty good. (the idea being that Barry would run into the time stream when he's about to destroy the Anti-Monitor's weapon and he'd appear in the then current day DCU. He'd stick around and have some adventures but he'd be aware that at some point he'd have to return to finish the job).

Yeah, I'd forgotten those, admittedly. I guess I meant more 'sustained on-going which eventually threw his more interesting successor under the bus.'