Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtemvbvNFlg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I had gotten cheap, unrefrigerated tortillas to make pre-xmas dinner. My mother pointed out those always used to be in the cold aisle, and asked why this was no longer true. I said gee mom let's find out, and pointed at the two phthalates in the ingrediants. "They put plastic in them now, mom, and then we cook and eat it".

Wow, which pthalates?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm going to guess DEHP and DiNP

phthalates aren't plastics themselves, they're plasticizers, ie acid compounds that make materials more malleable. they're also not safe for consumption and end up in food anyway because of cross-contamination from the plastic encasing everything, so it's a moot point

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

take_it_slow posted:

Wow, which pthalates?

Derp! my bad, parabans, not phtalates. Big difference, but similar as far as "mutagenic poo poo that is advertised as not being in my shampoo, which I'd prefer to not eat"

the most :rubby: tacos

I'm getting a simple metal tortilla press. We have like 10lbs of corn masa, why am I loving with this garbage.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

i'm kind of tired of furniture chat, but i'll always be in the "ikea can go gently caress itself" category, with their wobbly rear end bullshit furniture

maybe other posters would feel the same if they had to deal with ikea, ikea furniture, and ikea customers as much as i have to on a weekly basis

it's really important to pick up ikea furniture from the very bottom, so you don't pick it up by something that will literally rip the screws out and ruin the entire loving thing and then jam the top back on and pretend Nothing Happened before the customer notices

i'm happy those 5 bookcases are working out, but i have a feeling like they're probably more way more stable when they're full of heavy books to weigh it down

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
parabens get called out in shampoos and cosmetics because they're generally riskier re: allergies when applied topically than when they're ingested as preservatives

in terms of toxic poo poo that's in all your food i'd be more worried about what's not on the ingredient lists

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

I'm getting a simple metal tortilla press. We have like 10lbs of corn masa, why am I loving with this garbage.

i'd like one of those that's actually good

last time i got one at a cheap bodega and i swear the metallic spraypaint was coming off of it and was wondering why my tortillas had little silver stripes on them and realized why and threw that poo poo the gently caress away

just to be sure, i took it to the sink and started scrubbing it and the paint just started washing off on my hands and all over the sink and god loving damnit loving damnit

i wish this was a joke story and not real

i wish everything was not real

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Alobar posted:

i'm happy those 5 bookcases are working out, but i have a feeling like they're probably more way more stable when they're full of heavy books to weigh it down
They are screwed to the wall and the lower shelves are explicitly loaded with heavy books, a set of concerns I have not had when loading up our couple hardwood shelf sets!!

If I could snap my fingers and replace them with nice, used, real wood bookshelves, even without doors, I would do it, but I have a general disinclination to spend money on already solved problems or trash things that work.

To your concern about moving -- we have always been super nice to our movers, both in terms of tipping well, but also, in the case of these specific bookcases, I went to a lot of trouble to secure them really loving well with tight plastic wrap around cardboard around bubble wrap, to the point that the movers thanked us for making their lives easier in at least one case. Yep, moving Ikea poo poo is bullshit, it often won't survive, and it very often won't really survive disassembly and reassembly.

Alobar posted:

i'd like one of those that's actually good

last time i got one at a cheap bodega and i swear the metallic spraypaint was coming off of it and was wondering why my tortillas had little silver stripes on them and realized why and threw that poo poo the gently caress away

motherfuck, now I am looking at this "cast iron" thing for $20 on Amazon, thinking, well, that's probably too good to be true :rubby:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

motherfuck, now I am looking at this "cast iron" thing for $20 on Amazon, thinking, well, that's probably too good to be true :rubby:

if it's victoria cookware, i think those are fine. i've got an 8-inch one and it was only seasoned with flaxseed oil (and you may just want to put down some tin foil on top/bottom just to keep it clean, plus you can just re-use em). the bigger issue is cheap ones have lovely handles and don't press down well enough.

i do wish i had gone for the bigger 10-inch though

anyways heavier the better

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Dec 28, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Alobar posted:

i wish everything was not real

how can everything be real when our mirror's eyes arent real

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Derp! my bad, parabans, not phtalates. Big difference, but similar as far as "mutagenic poo poo that is advertised as not being in my shampoo, which I'd prefer to not eat"

the most :rubby: tacos

i'm horno

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

was your goal to show why people buy ikea furniture

I get it, but the priciest end tables at Ikea are going to be like one-quarter this amount. If they fall apart every single move, that's still going to be a net gain for most people.

Used furniture vs. Ikea is a way more compelling argument, but lots of people either don't want to buy used or want really specific poo poo that's hard to get if you're buying from craigslist or wherever.

the poster's comment was about needing a years salary, which was obviously an exaggeration, but those items are priced relatively low compared to some stuff I've seen. he also asked for an end table that was solid wood specifically :confused:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Raine posted:

how can everything be real when our mirror's eyes arent real

ever smoked DMT? It might answer this for you, but only for like 20 seconds

put differently, I believe there is an objective, but our lives are experienced entirely subjectively.

if people had to deal with objective reality on a constant basis we might all be what we'd consider "insane", but also probably interacting with the environment a lot differently

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

https://interestingengineering.com/scientists-develop-food-generator-that-turns-plastic-into-edible-protein

Good news fam, scientists have created a way to recycle plastics into foodstuffs that we can then feed to poor people :peanut:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the only objective reality is lmao

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here in Finland I know a local guy who makes solid wood, like Birch, tables. 5cm thick and one table takes a couple of planks glued together. Some guy nearby welds him some steel feet for the tables and paints them. They're like 800€ or so, not bad for a table you can use forever.

You can also select wooden feet etc. Basically full custom tables... Maybe someone around you makes something like this too? I bought an Artek 83A table because I had some Artek stuff already 🤷

My kitchen table is from the 50's, solid wood. Maybe you can find some second hand? No need to go to Ikea really at all.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ihmemies posted:

If your jeans suck, look at okayamadenim. Made in Japan jeans, including the cloth used.

Like you said, durability doesn't come for free but I don't think the average person will spend the money needed for actually good jeans

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Wisest Moron posted:

https://interestingengineering.com/scientists-develop-food-generator-that-turns-plastic-into-edible-protein

Good news fam, scientists have created a way to recycle plastics into foodstuffs that we can then feed to poor people :peanut:

Those protein blocks in Snowpiercer looked pretty "polymery."

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those protein blocks in Snowpiercer looked pretty "polymery."

except cockroach protein bricks are objectively better than plastic bricks

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Like you said, durability doesn't come for free but I don't think the average person will spend the money needed for actually good jeans

I buy one pair of Kuhl pants a year and by the end of the year they're destroyed enough to seem unsafe for woods work and get relegated to being junk pants

I will destroy a pair of Levi's in about 2 weeks

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol after everything this thread still falls into the personal responsibility trap

mnaybe if people didnt wear so many jeans !

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

?

????

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

IBS is a hell of a condition

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I buy one pair of Kuhl pants a year and by the end of the year they're destroyed enough to seem unsafe for woods work and get relegated to being junk pants

they’ll last longer if you boil them and make jeans soup.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Stop eating so much cabbage maybe?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

poo poo dude, it might be alright

the bodega i got it from isn't really a bodega to be buying cookware from and i'm pretty sure what i had was just cast iron spraypainted with silver paint that came off disgustingly easy

i don't buy stuff from amazon tho because gently caress amazon

lol now that i'm thinking about it, i'm going to only use parchment paper to press my tortillas from here on out instead of using a cut ziplock plastic bag, even if the paper is more delicate for that job

i doubt that will make much a difference when it comes to microplastics, but maybe one less plastic item means a little less plastic in me :unsmith:

oh man, the first line of that plastic to protein article

quote:

Humanity has a plastic problem, but who said the problem couldn't also be tasty?

Biosphere Collapse: who said plastic couldn't also be tasty?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
you know i noticed some of the writing on one of my frozen vegetable packs that you can microwave came off and stuck to the bowl I microwaved it in, im sure heat printed ink is good for my food and body too

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hmm plastic

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Could we... eat our way out?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
my ikea sit/stand desk is p cool i dont need it to be solid oak or whatver

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol after everything this thread still falls into the personal responsibility trap

mnaybe if people didnt wear so many jeans !

have you considered shopping about it?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

sometimes i think about microwaving soup as a kid

and covering the bowl with plastic

and the plastic kinda melting/burning/something

and being told something to the effect of "don't be a baby, it's not going to hurt you"

:rubby:

now when i heat up soup i just leave it uncovered

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://twitter.com/pyrogeog/status/1475620399463292928

fuckin a

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

when you really think about it what's lead in drinking water but a micrometal?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

fits my needs posted:

my ikea sit/stand desk is p cool i dont need it to be solid oak or whatver

Would you say it fits your needs?

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Rutibex posted:

just make your furniture out of old discarded pallets like me
those are what i use for my microfauna ziggurats. i build the structure out of pallets and then stuff it with native bark and leaves. the skinks are always the first to settle in, they're so brave

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Levi's are fine and as good as a lot of jeans that cost 3-4x as much (and some that cost 50% as much), but they're not made to be serious work pants and they will not hold up to scrambling around trees or getting nicked by tools, the pockets will rip from carrying anything heavier than a basic knife, they do not survive even brief contact with extremely hot surfaces or moving friction against rugged surfaces/rocks, and they provide extremely minimal protection against contact with any kind of hot or caustic chemical.

It was a serious comment but left field because my use cases are not the same as most people who buy a pair of jeans. I do feel like Levi's should maybe be more inexpensively priced for what they are; you can probably say the same thing about Kuhl because even though they make more comfortable pants than the $30 work pants at Tractor Exchange, I'd have to field test them to see if they really last any longer, and I probably should do that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
well enjoy your job in the wilderness fighting bears and dragons and whatever else you are doing mountain man

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

well enjoy your job in the wilderness fighting bears and dragons and whatever else you are doing mountain man

yo cabbages, you hiring? i'm down

i'm so down to fight a bear

those motherfuckers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Wisest Moron posted:

Would you say it fits your needs?

yeah, and putting it together wasnt even that much of a pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Levi's are fine and as good as a lot of jeans that cost 3-4x as much (and some that cost 50% as much), but they're not made to be serious work pants and they will not hold up to scrambling around trees or getting nicked by tools, the pockets will rip from carrying anything heavier than a basic knife, they do not survive even brief contact with extremely hot surfaces or moving friction against rugged surfaces/rocks, and they provide extremely minimal protection against contact with any kind of hot or caustic chemical.

It was a serious comment but left field because my use cases are not the same as most people who buy a pair of jeans. I do feel like Levi's should maybe be more inexpensively priced for what they are; you can probably say the same thing about Kuhl because even though they make more comfortable pants than the $30 work pants at Tractor Exchange, I'd have to field test them to see if they really last any longer, and I probably should do that.

levi's were originally created for prospectors and miners lol. i wouldn't be surprised if the original quality was much higher than their current stuff though