Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It could be a lot worse you all.
0 miles in 2021
1000 in 2020
12k in 2019
13k in 2018.

Traveled the country in 2021 via rv. Put more miles on a pedalbike than a moto for the first time since I was like uhhh 10.

E: what a poo poo page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Hey so we're just about coming up on the end of the year, let's do a little year in review type of deal:

1. How many miles did you ride this year or hours if you're offroad/on track

and

2. What was your favorite motorcycle experience this year? It can be a ride, an event or maybe you're especially proud of a particular wrenching job you did.

Depressingly the answer to the first question is only about a thousand miles - between lockdowns and other commitments this year has seen me riding less than at any point since my insurance-mandated 2 years off.

Having said that it's meant that the experiences I have had have been extremely good - belting down to Cornwall to stay with family who I hadn't seen in over a year (and even better having someone else to take all my luggage for me) was one of the best times I've had on a bike, including the near-religious experience of belting between these two junctions on the A38:

a couple of times, every time I left or went back to the house I was staying in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This year has been the first time since I started riding that I've both had and used the option of not riding right through winter in all weather, and honestly it's been pretty great. Car commuting is still awful, but it's a whole lot better than getting to work with boots full of water and fingers that needs to be run under a warm tap for 10 minutes before they can feel anything.

Reckon I've ridden maybe 5000 miles this year, less than half what I usually put in. It's all been straight-line commute though, frequently in heavy traffic. Lots of splitting, very little actual riding. It sucks hard.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I haven't put more than 1000 miles on my bikes this year. I didn't even go once before July, which is the latest I can think of since I started riding.

But I bought a house with a garage so I finally have a place to park and work. Best actual ride was taking my dad through some dirt roads and trails that I've been telling him about for the past 3 years.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depressingly the answer to the first question is only about a thousand miles - between lockdowns and other commitments this year has seen me riding less than at any point since my insurance-mandated 2 years off.

Having said that it's meant that the experiences I have had have been extremely good - belting down to Cornwall to stay with family who I hadn't seen in over a year (and even better having someone else to take all my luggage for me) was one of the best times I've had on a bike, including the near-religious experience of belting between these two junctions on the A38:

a couple of times, every time I left or went back to the house I was staying in.

What's so special about that section of road? Google Streetview looks like a pretty standard divided highway in the country.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

0 miles in 2021

Put more miles on a pedalbike than a moto for the first time since I was like uhhh 10.

This was me. Currently have no working motorbike and three working bicycles.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

0 miles in 2021
1000 in 2020
12k in 2019
13k in 2018.

Traveled the country in 2021 via rv. Put more miles on a pedalbike than a moto for the first time since I was like uhhh 10.

E: what a poo poo page snipe.

Dad thread is over there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Idk for sure how many miles since I currently don't have a working odometer (:ssh:) but yeah, probably between 1k and 2k in 2021. Sigh.

Travelling just isn't really a thing you do these days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

What's so special about that section of road? Google Streetview looks like a pretty standard divided highway in the country.

It's not the section of the road, it's the junctions either end. 4 roundabouts (although I normally looped back to take them all 3 times so I could properly enjoy them) then nail the throttle up the slip road (which starts with a nice tricky drop over the apex), enjoy the noise for a minute or two, then off at the next slip, nondescript right 90 but then a 180-degree on-camber right into a 90-degree slightly off-camber left with WFO throttle at the end, rinse and repeat until you get tired or your bottle goes.

It's not the Little St. Bernard Pass (or even the 13 Bends Of Death), but for a reminder of everything that's great about being on a bike it's hard to beat when it's right on your doorstep.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not the section of the road, it's the junctions either end. 4 roundabouts (although I normally looped back to take them all 3 times so I could properly enjoy them) then nail the throttle up the slip road (which starts with a nice tricky drop over the apex), enjoy the noise for a minute or two, then off at the next slip, nondescript right 90 but then a 180-degree on-camber right into a 90-degree slightly off-camber left with WFO throttle at the end, rinse and repeat until you get tired or your bottle goes.

It's not the Little St. Bernard Pass (or even the 13 Bends Of Death), but for a reminder of everything that's great about being on a bike it's hard to beat when it's right on your doorstep.

Post/username delivers.

I did about 200 miles this year; my biggest accomplishment was taking the MSF class in June getting a bike in August. :toot: I only had the chance to ride for a few hours at a time on weekend days through November and much of that was low speed maneuver practice in parking lots. Next year I'll have more time and depending on how interviews go I may even ride to work occasionally.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Russian Bear posted:

Hey so we're just about coming up on the end of the year, let's do a little year in review type of deal:

and

2. What was your favorite motorcycle experience this year? It can be a ride, an event or maybe you're especially proud of a particular wrenching job you did.

1) lol, i put more miles on my gravel/mountain bikes than any of my motorcycles, did no offroading this year.

2) first time hitting balance point wheelies on da supermoto again after finishing physical therapy. no better feeling

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Looks like I'm just shy of 2700 miles for the calendar year. I really didn't appreciate how much free time I had while I was unemployed last fall through this spring, and once I was working again I let a lot of prime riding opportunities go to waste over the summer because it was 85 out instead of 75. This year was generally a blur but I've got a handle on things now, I expect 2022 is gonna be a big riding year for me.

My big accomplishment is changing tires for the first time. It was hard and lovely at times and I scratched my wheels up pretty good in a few spots, but I'm very glad I gave it a try.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Deeters posted:

But I bought a house with a garage so I finally have a place to park and work.
:hfive: I ended up living in a place with a garage finally this year and it's glorious.

I didn't have a registered bike until almost August, and have only put around 400 miles on it with everything going on.

Did some basic maintenance myself, as part of my long term goal of not being mechanically clueless; Installed frame sliders, did the second oil change, managed to remove and reinstall the rear wheel after getting a new tire mounted, and a bunch of other little basic things.

Took another MSF class a couple months ago to help get back into it.

Best ride was Phoenix, AZ area 88 to Tortilla Flat, only did it once this year:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I forgot a picture of the Monkey mess. The secret ingredient is corndogs

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Best ride was Phoenix, AZ area 88 to Tortilla Flat, only did it once this year:

:hellyeah:

PYF routes

This is probably mine. Bicycle directions show it shows elevation. Skyline > La Honda > Pescadero > Stage > Tunitas. The last 3 roads are usually light on traffic, but Stage and Tunitas are, by American standards anyway, very narrow. I'd say it's between 15-18' wide for most of it, with no lane markings. For comparison, most freeway lanes are 12' wide.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think my most interesting ride of the year was up the coast of Lake Michigan in early October. I started out in pretty dense fog and it sort of rained on and off all day. Not the greatest ride, but I wound up finding the Wisconsin Motorcycle Memorial, completely on accident. I’ll let this plaque explain it.

This is all well and good and a nice gesture. Or it would be if most of these people hadn’t died in what were probably alcohol related motorcycle crashes.

The entire place was littered with booze.

There was also the prerequisite motorcycle art installation

The real way to commemorate these riders in my opinion is this designated burnout area. Hell yeah

I didn’t partake because I don’t trust the goldwings U-joints to stand up to that and I didn’t want to find out the hard way a couple hundred miles from home

Oh, and this happened, which is the best motorcycling experience of anyones life

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I hope you promptly pulled over, got the bike delivered home, and have now hung it on the wall.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I did about 1000km on my annual fly and ride vacation this summer. It would have been a bit more, but fuckups and wildfires curtailed the route some. Now I live on the best coast, I've got great roads and year round riding (except right now, wtf winter??) at my fingertips, so I expect that number to at least double next year. All I need now is a bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
2021 ride stats:

3rd place 1988 Yamaha xt600z tenere: 750 miles since bought, oil burner situation realized ->should have gotten cylinder bored as first Acton. big enough groves that when smooth the hone had removed too much so it's between sizes.. still working/postponing dealing with it.

2nd place 1993 Honda nx250: 5000 miles. 50/50 street/gravel roads. Main issue this year was the overly tight chain Vs luggage load. Mechanically otherwise no issues.

1st place 2004 Yamaha fz6n: 7500 miles. It's hitting 60k miles so some wear parts this year. New Front brake discs because of sticky calipers that was also rebuilt, new fork seals, full every 25k miles main service with plugs, valve check, rad drain etc so nothing big coming up next year.

Best ride was a solo weekend ride in inner Telemark with tent camping. Good camp spots, testing new gear, awesome roads.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Approximately 7000 miles on the Fat Bob.
Approximately 500 on the LiveWire.
Approximately 1500 in the car, which would have been bike miles but man the weather's been absolutely poo poo recently and hauling firewood on the bike is literally not possible.

My favourite bike experience was riding the Fat Bob around the single malt trail :scotland: , so pretty. I don't drink btw!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

and

1. got a company vehicle so I no longer motorcycle to work. sad!! did 5500mi though according to my maintenance spreadsheet though, so not a wasted year I suppose. I'd venture to say about 1000mi offroad (lol I mean unpaved, maybe 250mi or so actually offroad) doing poo poo on the TAT and up at LBL

2. 100% finding this perfect spot at land between the lakes:

packing firewood in is hilarious:

my favorite part though was after I had about five beers in me I decided to go break down some fallen trees on the beach and promptly fell on my rear end (did not spill my beer or hatchet my head) by jumping on a 5" trunk that I had broken earlier to try to make it fit in my firepit lol hopped up super quick to make sure no one witnessed it though :D

doubt I'll be doing any riding between now and NYE / NYD but I may go for an early ride sat since it's like 70 here in nashville and nothing is better for a hangover than barfing

right arm fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 29, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hard to imagine a more triumphant and character-defining epitaph than "it is what it is"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

His actual gravestone:

Here lies Bill

:shrug:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

...hauling firewood on the bike is literally not possible.

right arm posted:

packing firewood in is hilarious:

:drat:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I do not recommend it, but you will never have a car follow you for long:D

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toe Rag posted:

PYF routes

This is probably mine. Bicycle directions show it shows elevation. Skyline > La Honda > Pescadero > Stage > Tunitas. The last 3 roads are usually light on traffic, but Stage and Tunitas are, by American standards anyway, very narrow. I'd say it's between 15-18' wide for most of it, with no lane markings. For comparison, most freeway lanes are 12' wide.

Thanks for turning me on to stage, it is something alright, but lmfao I have done it in my wagon as well and that is certainly beyond something. Pescadero Creek to Alpine back to 35 is great, especially the alpine section once you climb out of the redwoods.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Toe Rag posted:

PYF routes

drat that looks awesome. That whole area is beautiful too, I haven't been there in a long time.

Here's the actual map for the picture I posted earlier:
87 -> 88-> Tortilla Flat

The 89 is a great mountain road up to Prescott, getting there from Phoenix takes a while and is pretty fatiguing on a sportbike though so I've only done this twice so far:
89 to Prescott

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

and

Didn't ride much in 2020, but did decent in 2021.

Couple hundred miles on my CRB1000RR.

800 miles on the KTM 500 EXC F I picked up early in the year. Mostly dirt. Probably selling it in the spring.

And just under 4k miles on the KTM Super Duke I bought after selling my CBR. Did a great 10 day road trip with it. For sure the highlight of the year.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Did about 3000 miles on my motorcycle, 800 on my bicycle, and 1,000 driving this year (also more flying than was prudent).

Best ride was out to Harper's Ferry.

Hoping to build up my endurance and also try out a few more bikes next year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

3000 miles (5000 km) on my lil 09 ninja 650 that i hit the deck on once, bump started a few times cause the factory original battery was toast, did one small road trip on, changed the slip-on exhaust, done a bunch of 150 km days on the back roads, and have been daily riding it until the snow started.

its the first bike ive actually owned and i like it a lot. perfect mix of "yee-haw" and "it just works."

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 29, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I did zero miles on a bike this year as I don't currently own one, but I've got back into the idea of owning one, to the point where I'm hoping to change jobs so I'll need to commute and therefore need a bike next year.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
1600 km on my ST1300, 200km in my CB500x; The ST finally got sorted this year, and I’m comfortable selling the CB500x, so I’m only running it a couple of times a month.
No real trips this year, only got out to the cottage once. Can’t wait for next riding season though; hopefully covid and work will line up well enough for me to make a trip to see friends down east.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I did about 4000 miles this year which I think is a personal best since my daughter was born 3 years ago. Finally got my luggage mounting all figured out, which is janky af but works ok

I also managed to do a day trip on the turquoise trail from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and then to Los Alamos and RT 4 to Jemez Springs. Just gorgeous and not at all what you imagine when you think about New Mexico.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've done ~3200mi after getting my MT03 in May. It's suppose to be rainy and cold the rest of the week so probably not adding any miles this year.

My favorite ride was last June when my buddy and I rode down to a lake a little south of here that was a last hurrah before he moved away.

Cool to hear quite a few peeps in here are also pedaling bicycles! I pedaled 2465 miles in 2021. Really want to do more next year. I'm going to buy a mountain bike in the next few weeks too I think.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I used to pedal-bike a lot more. I have a real nice Giant roadbike that weighs 20lbs complete.
In 2015 or 2016 I put ~10k miles on it. Since then it's been a steady downhill (hah!), especially since the pandemic started and my best cycling buddy died unexpectedly :(
I'll probably sell it and the MTB soon.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I need to come up with a pillion lugage solution because adding a luggage rack to my bike looks terrible and I can't stand it. But empty soft luggage doesn't fix properly, so I guess I'm just sool.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to pedal-bike a lot more. I have a real nice Giant roadbike that weighs 20lbs complete.
In 2015 or 2016 I put ~10k miles on it. Since then it's been a steady downhill (hah!), especially since the pandemic started and my best cycling buddy died unexpectedly :(
I'll probably sell it and the MTB soon.

I bought a really nice mountain bike a few years ago, but then ended up never riding it and sold it earlier this year :negative: It felt amazingly light compared to my old mountain bike (2019 vs 2006). I think it's even lighter than my road bike (2008). I want a mountain bike again but any time I'd have for it I just spend on my motorcycle instead (see above). I think I should split the difference and get a dirt bike :cool:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I did the inverse of going dedicated dirtbike to mtb. Dualsports are still fine and good though.

I planned for 3 ish thousand miles of mtb this year, got in around a thousand miles. Fire season and the midwest sucks. Beating this for 2022, and getting back on a moto because gently caress not riding.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Russian Bear posted:

and

Approximately 1600 miles split between two bikes that can barely do 40 mph. But I also did a 3000 mile (round trip) flight in a small aircraft this summer. That was an adventure but many hours in a straight line with nothing interesting to look at.

Going on a random adventure up the Bruce Peninsula on the CT90. Basically avoided the highway like the plague and any time it suggested an alternate route that would take a bit longer I took it.

Edit: I also recently took a look at the first vehicle I ever owned (1978 Honda XL250s.) And I want to buy it back from my cousin so bad. It will need a bunch of work as it has spent the last 14 years on a farm but I question if it is nostalgia or just gear acquisition syndrome.

helno fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

I did the inverse of going dedicated dirtbike to mtb. Dualsports are still fine and good though.

I planned for 3 ish thousand miles of mtb this year, got in around a thousand miles. Fire season and the midwest sucks. Beating this for 2022, and getting back on a moto because gently caress not riding.

Sounds like you need to fab a bicycle rack for your moto