Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I started playing FF7R on pc and even with my 4 year old machine running a 1070 i'm getting acceptable performance at 60fps locked. No stuttering, but lowered shadows. Maybe I just lucked out with a fairly standard pc build that might have been somewhat optimized for. Some of the models and textures are bit off but it's not hampering my enjoyment of the game so far.

I'm playing on Easy just to chill out but it's maybe too easy? Nothing lasts long enough to get any teeth into the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The only stuttering I've noticed so far was right at the beginning transitioning from cutscene to game when the train pulled into the station. Maybe there was a patch or maybe that's the only place it's noticeably bad but since then it's been smooth sailing at 1440 on my 3070 (mostly lowered the settings for stability when in-home streaming)

I'm in Chapter 9 on normal and so far I've really enjoyed the difficulty. There's still plenty of basic fights that wrap up super quick but the bosses tend to be a bit more challenging. Hell House in particular ate through about a third of my stock of Phoenix Downs that had lain completely untouched up to that point.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shabadu posted:

I started playing FF7R on pc and even with my 4 year old machine running a 1070 i'm getting acceptable performance at 60fps locked. No stuttering, but lowered shadows. Maybe I just lucked out with a fairly standard pc build that might have been somewhat optimized for. Some of the models and textures are bit off but it's not hampering my enjoyment of the game so far.

Also using a 1070 and had the same experience at the start but the hitching seems to get worse the longer you play. Worst area so far has been Wall Market where it was happening all the time but at least it's limited to cutscenes and roaming, performance has been fine during combat.

quote:

I'm playing on Easy just to chill out but it's maybe too easy? Nothing lasts long enough to get any teeth into the mechanics.

Playing on normal and some of the bosses have been surprisingly difficult. It helps a lot to keep the Assess materia equipped so you can learn the boss gimmicks, if you try to power through without understanding them there's a significant chance of getting wiped.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Other iconic part of FFT is getting blasted by rooftop archers in Dorter battle.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Party Boat posted:

The only stuttering I've noticed so far was right at the beginning transitioning from cutscene to game when the train pulled into the station. Maybe there was a patch or maybe that's the only place it's noticeably bad but since then it's been smooth sailing at 1440 on my 3070 (mostly lowered the settings for stability when in-home streaming)

This happened to me but I had set it to 30fps locked since i was discord streaming it and figured it didn't make sense to play natively in 60 and stream 30. Setting it to 60 cleared it up right away.

The other hosed up thing is the controller drift when using X-input and my ds4 controller with ds4windows. It's persisted through a couple different games and 2 different controllers so at this point i'm assuming its a software issue. Remapping controls and getting psx button prompts took me an unecessary length of time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iconic FFXII moment is meeting the occuria. nothing else really comes close

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Electromax posted:

Other iconic part of FFT is getting blasted by rooftop archers in Dorter battle.

What do you mean I can have units other than Ramza and Delita on the battlefield??

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

Beating the first fight after finally realizing that you start with more characters than Ramza and Delita.

E: beat

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oxxidation posted:

iconic FFXII moment is meeting the occuria. nothing else really comes close

it was pretty intense meeting fantasy halliburton

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

this is a game full of iconic moments but for me it will always be "Galaxy Stop!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shabadu posted:

This happened to me but I had set it to 30fps locked since i was discord streaming it and figured it didn't make sense to play natively in 60 and stream 30. Setting it to 60 cleared it up right away.

The other hosed up thing is the controller drift when using X-input and my ds4 controller with ds4windows. It's persisted through a couple different games and 2 different controllers so at this point i'm assuming its a software issue. Remapping controls and getting psx button prompts took me an unecessary length of time.

How did you end up doing this? I have the same setup and I'd love to get the PSX button prompts.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Gonna be honest, no loving clue. I just toggled back and forth from numbers to symbols a bunch. Windows 11 might be the key, it actually connects natively with just bluetooth but for whatever reason does not play nice with certain games unless i'm using ds4windows.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Guy who wrote the story is totally like, 'uh yeah then I fought like a dozen bandits and I totally just stopped the flow of time to defeat them'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Probably Rafa using the Scorpio stone to resurrect Malak or the scene where Delita pledges to Ramza that he's gonna protect Ovelia and then spends the rest of the game failing to live up to that promise in increasingly extreme ways

*tapping head* she cant get hurt if shes dead

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll keep her safe, by stabbing her to death. I am a good king

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
doesn’t she stab him first

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I think I read somewhere that canonically they're both supposed to live or something.

Maybe it was a love stab, or they had some hi potions kicking around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I think I read somewhere that canonically they're both supposed to live or something.

Maybe it was a love stab, or they had some hi potions kicking around.

Delita lives and is remembered as a hero but I don't think Olivia is ever mentioned

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Olivia is absolutely dead.

Verviticus posted:

doesn’t she stab him first

Yes, because she's convinced that he's going to kill her eventually and her only option is to kill him first. Jury's out on if he ever would (my answer is 'if it ever became politically expedient').

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Olivia is obviously dead. Ovelia, on the other hand, is left in a vague state

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
You're all just making characters up at this point.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Olivia is obviously dead. Ovelia, on the other hand, is left in a vague state

Bleh, I thought the name was wrong.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Electromax posted:

Oh neato, chocobos! What's this choco meteor?

...oh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ophelia/Ovelia (or whatever her name is) knows she's not really a person and is just a tool (or non-human entity) for literally everyone in her life, and so is 100% totally alone. So it's as much an attempt at freeing herself from that life as it is an attempt at suicide.

Delita killing her is as much a mercy as it is brutality.

Her surviving would take a lot of that gravity out of the situation, and arguably makes Delita even more monstrous.

FFT rules.

e: Delita is a cool character. He clearly lost basically any vestige of humanity when his sister died at Ziekden, and from that point on he was like 'nothing matters anymore, "I'm going to get to the top of this system no matter what" and goes full-on manipulative sociopath to get there. Ovelia is just collateral damage, because Delita doesn't give a gently caress about absolutely anything for the rest of his life except his goal. That's my favorite kind of nihilism. That and Seymour's, which frankly is a totally understandable position. Seymour was like "Who can stand against Sin? Summoning doesn't work, why do we suffer and toil so much? Let's just opt out, my babies"

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 28, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jokes posted:

FFT rules.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jokes posted:

FFTA laws.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jokes posted:

Ophelia/Ovelia (or whatever her name is) knows she's not really a person and is just a tool (or non-human entity) for literally everyone in her life, and so is 100% totally alone. So it's as much an attempt at freeing herself from that life as it is an attempt at suicide.

Delita killing her is as much a mercy as it is brutality.

Her surviving would take a lot of that gravity out of the situation, and arguably makes Delita even more monstrous.

FFT rules.

e: Delita is a cool character. He clearly lost basically any vestige of humanity when his sister died at Ziekden, and from that point on he was like 'nothing matters anymore, "I'm going to get to the top of this system no matter what" and goes full-on manipulative sociopath to get there. Ovelia is just collateral damage, because Delita doesn't give a gently caress about absolutely anything for the rest of his life except his goal. That's my favorite kind of nihilism. That and Seymour's, which frankly is a totally understandable position. Seymour was like "Who can stand against Sin? Summoning doesn't work, why do we suffer and toil so much? Let's just opt out, my babies"

Well he seemed to want an actual relationship with her before she stabbed him. At the end of that, he was just basically acknowledging that he probably should not have done this, and he is unhappy with what he gained.

The creators say they both survived the stabbings however.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 28, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Word of god is a fake idea, only the text matters

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't like this and will head-canon it to say that he found a fake to replace her when she died.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah I ignore Word of God all the time, often makes for better stories.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

what does final fantasy mean? to me it means... a good rear end time

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he seemed to want an actual relationship with her before she stabbed him. At the end of that, he was just basically acknowledging that he probably should not have done this, and he is unhappy with what he gained.

I acknowledge that the creators have made a decision, but given it is a stupid-rear end decision, I have elected to ignore it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

only what i see happen in the game is canon... your word of god cannot change that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not going to lie.

I'd enjoy a Stranger of Paradising of all the games in the series.

"Cecil, take this package t-"
"Whatever. *marches out while buttrock plays.*"

"My name is Eric. Eric Sephiroth."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Not going to lie.

"My name is Eric. Eric Sephiroth."

"My name is Butz. Butz Exdeath"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stranger of paradise is very sincere and not at all ironic and that is why it owns and needs a sequel involving every final fantasy game

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

ImpAtom posted:

Not going to lie.

Tbh this would better align his personality to what I feel is the best characterization of dark knights in the entire series: 14 year old DRK mains in FFXI circa 2004

The nu metal quotes in the average dark knight's weapon skill macros still make me laugh today

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stranger of paradise final fantasy legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Super No Vacancy posted:

stranger of paradise final fantasy legend world of final fantasy