Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Eej posted:

The only solution is Friday Night Magic On The Green where you go to the park and roll out some nice picnic blankets and have a pleasant outdoors pre-releaae

Or having everyone play wearing the iconic Bubble Boy suit from the hit film Bubble Boy (2001) starring Jake Gyllenhaal

EDIT: Bubble Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mcmagic posted:

What you're saying here is that we just cant have Magic events for the next what? 5 years? 10? Sorry, people aren't going to comply with that. I'm of the mindset that you take reasonable precautions and get on with your life.
Shut the gently caress up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Froghammer posted:

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Just as an FYI, the biggest game/Magic shop in Philly halted in-store play as of today.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mcmagic posted:

What you're saying here is that we just cant have Magic events for the next what? 5 years? 10? Sorry, people aren't going to comply with that. I'm of the mindset that you take reasonable precautions and get on with your life.

Reasonable precaution includes not going into an enclosed space where you'll be huffing each other's farts for four hours when we don't have near maximum vaccine uptake and there is a new variant spreading like wildfire btw

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

In a lot of places, Philadelphia included, COVID case numbers are higher than they've ever been right now. My county is going through an omicron surge and despite being vaxxed I'm still not going to my lgs for magic.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It is 100% not safe to play paper Magic for the foreseeable future and "I am allowed to do what I want" is maybe the dumbest and most selfish response I can think of

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

In a lot of places, Philadelphia included, COVID case numbers are higher than they've ever been right now. My county is going through an omicron surge and despite being vaxxed I'm still not going to my lgs for magic.

Cases are high. Hospitalizations and deaths are pretty low in the philly area and haven't spiked along with the cases. Talking about the Omicron case spike like it's what was going on with COVID in the fall of 2020 doesn't seem productive to me at all with vaccines and boosters widely available. Again, this is going to be the new normal for a very long while.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

HootTheOwl posted:

I know, you quoted me mentioning him already and now I'm confused.

Derp. May it never be said that I am a clever man.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Magic: The Gathering

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, we know, you can "muh freedums" and "what are you going to do about it" and "you cant tell me what to do!" all you want but you're still a massive tool

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mcmagic posted:

Cases are high. Hospitalizations and deaths are pretty low in the philly area and haven't spiked along with the cases. Talking about the Omicron case spike like it's what was going on with COVID in the fall of 2020 doesn't seem productive to me at all with vaccines and boosters widely available. Again, this is going to be the new normal for a very long while.

Froghammer posted:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Oh hey, covid chat always ends well

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have mcmagic on ignore because mcmagic has the worst possible take on literally every subject.

But still: don't go play cards in a pandemic. Arguably don't do anything indoors in groups right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

I have mcmagic on ignore because mcmagic has the worst possible take on literally every subject.

But still: don't go play cards in a pandemic. Arguably don't do anything indoors in groups right now.

ignore is for cowards btw

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic: The Gathering

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

god drat do i fuucking hate crimson vow draft, but honestly im kind of excited for double feature, you get all the good midnight hunt removal to help deal with bombs and also there's a lot of interesting cross set synergies that's probably going to recontext a lot of the cards from both sets. like yeah you'll see individual commons much more rarely than normal but im interested to see how it plays out.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm going to go to SGC and get covid on purpose

The guy at the SCG event praying near exposed buttcracks except it's near unmasked people coughing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

god drat do i fuucking hate crimson vow draft, but honestly im kind of excited for double feature, you get all the good midnight hunt removal to help deal with bombs and also there's a lot of interesting cross set synergies that's probably going to recontext a lot of the cards from both sets. like yeah you'll see individual commons much more rarely than normal but im interested to see how it plays out.

Vow isn't a great format but I think it's way better than Midnight Hunt. I'm still drafting vow and enjoying it and I gave up on Hunt after like 2 weeks of the format.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mcmagic posted:

ignore is for cowards btw
I have you on ignore because of exactly the sort of poo poo you've been doing the last few pages, ignore is a perfectly acceptable form of self care by not exposing yourself to people whose posting you can't stand and make you mad. Instead of forming posting enemies, just put them on ignore and go on with your life

People who refuse to use or look down upon the use of the ignore feature are pretty sad imo

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

definitely looking forward to forcing dimir zombos every draft in double feature

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I canceled my Double Feature preorder because the marketing about "the special cards look like classic horror movie posters!" made me think it would be something other than silver-foiled grayscale.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Trad Games in a Time of Plague: A Covid Policy

The thing about traditional games is that they're inherently a social hobby, and as the US and UK open up further and covid vaccination proceeds apace people are going to want to get back to gathering in numbers to sling their preferred cards, toy soldiers, or funny dice.

Unfortunately, the plague hasn't actually gone away yet. Gathering in numbers is still a risk -- and not only to yourself, but to everyone you go near. They might not be vaccinated yet. They might be immunocompromised. You could give them the virus that kills them. 'Personal responsibility' doesn't cut it when you're dealing with an infectious airborne disease.

But the threads in Trad Games aren't really the place for arguing about what level of protection is appropriate for gathering to play those trad games and it can derail threads every time people talk about playing in-person, so we're saying please don't take that bait. Different people are comfortable with different levels of risk.

That said, we feel we should make this clear: If you come into TG and start breaking out any of the 'covid isn't real' or 'covid isn't dangerous' conspiracy theories it is not going to go well for you. Our patience for that poo poo is nil.

If you want to talk about covid, there's a thread in GBS, and if you want to argue bitterly about it then there's one in D&D and one in C-SPAM.

This is part of our stickied subforum rules. Stop attacking each other in this thread over exactly where people are drawing lines. Not because it's an invalid conversation, not because we don't think there are lines, but because this conversation will derail every thread in TG if it's allowed, and there are other places on SA to have it instead, please.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fair enough.

I definitely advocate for ignoring idiots though. (I'm sure I probably reside on a couple lists fwiw, I express plenty of idiotic opinions too.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

rickiep00h posted:

Fair enough.

I definitely advocate for ignoring idiots though. (I'm sure I probably reside on a couple lists fwiw, I express plenty of idiotic opinions too.)

They get quoted and there's nothing you can do

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Ignore is pretty weak. You use it to try and hide the truly lovely posters, but because they're lovely posters with horrible takes they get directly responded to all the time. You wind up seeing their crap just as much as if you didn't ignore them. I wish there was a way to completely oubliette posters -- don't see "A jerk posted something" or ever see them quoted. That would be a useful feature.

Or, you know, ban the trolls who have years of nothing but negative contribution to threads. :shrug:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

I have you on ignore because of exactly the sort of poo poo you've been doing the last few pages, ignore is a perfectly acceptable form of self care by not exposing yourself to people whose posting you can't stand and make you mad. Instead of forming posting enemies, just put them on ignore and go on with your life

People who refuse to use or look down upon the use of the ignore feature are pretty sad imo

i mean we already know how mcmagic feels about exposing people to terrible poo poo

Eej posted:

The only solution is Friday Night Magic On The Green where you go to the park and roll out some nice picnic blankets and have a pleasant outdoors pre-releaae

lrr did two of their prereleases during the pre-vaccine pandemic like this, one with a draft entirely outside and one with a draft in a big theater they had rented out for a day (also to shoot some other stuff including an Alien ttrpg). it was pretty nice, yknow, considering

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine being the goon to die of a breakthrough infection to play wizard poker

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've played some "out on the deck" Magic in pleasant weather. It's actually quite nice as long as you don't get gusts of wind.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You're ignoring me for sharing a pretty widely held opinion tbh but you do you.

Also I have no posting enemies. I don't get that worked up over posts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's time to stop talking about the ignore feature. Nobody here has forgotten what it is or how it works.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Aranan posted:

I've played some "out on the deck" Magic in pleasant weather. It's actually quite nice as long as you don't get gusts of wind.

I wouldn't mind some outdoor events, weather permitting. The LGSes I've been to in the past would let folks go play outside on the deck or whatever if the event happened during daylight hours, it makes for a very nice change of pace.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I scroll past them. This is very advanced technique.

If you fully vaccinate, wear your mask when it’s reasonable to do so, and it’s allowed at the venue, play magic.

Please let me know if any of you need any more controversial opinions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Please let me know if any of you need any more controversial opinions.
Always. LEt's start with [my pet card].
Good or Very Good?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My favorite two cards both cost triple black.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

HootTheOwl posted:

Good or Very Good?

It's actually trash.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sickening posted:

My favorite two cards both cost triple black.

Darkpact and Kaervek's Spite?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Aranan posted:

Ignore is pretty weak. You use it to try and hide the truly lovely posters, but because they're lovely posters with horrible takes they get directly responded to all the time. You wind up seeing their crap just as much as if you didn't ignore them. I wish there was a way to completely oubliette posters -- don't see "A jerk posted something" or ever see them quoted. That would be a useful feature.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/25604-something-awful-true-ignore/code has massively improved some threads for me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

Post the decks

Played this mess of a reanimator deck yesterday to good success. P1P1 Entomb out of a weak pack and P1P2 Reanimate out a good pack. Folllowed that with Unburial Rites pick 3 and decided I was going to force it. Ended up pretty light on self discard and mill but got Show and Tell very late pack 3 and scooped it up, it ended up being an MVP. Don’t need to put my own stuff in the yard if my opponent will try and do it for me after I put it out on turn 3.

Played a scrappy reanimator mirror round 1 that involved hard casting Tibalt, playing Ashen Rider 5 times in a single game, and my opponent show and telling in a grislebrand which promptly got eaten by Archon of Cruelty. 2-0

Round 2 was against some weird Jeskai good stuff deck that was really trying to play an aggressive game and got absolutely bodied game 1 by toxic deluge. Sided in Elesh Norn for games 2 and 3 but never quite got there and lost 1-2

Round 3 was against mono-red and that new 2/2 for 3 with haste that exiles the top card and then gets pumped whenever you exile a card got me hard. Games 2 and 3 Elesh Norn made quick work of it. Turn 2 Elesh Norn was the only time I got to live the dream of EOT entomb/Reanimate, but Tef3ri did a decent impression as well. 2-1

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HootTheOwl posted:

Good or Very Good?

Rancor is one of the best Auras ever printed, easily in the Very Good category. Great art (the original version) and flavor text as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://mobile.twitter.com/HueyJensen/status/1475917920903520263