Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the last time i got customer service in a store i had let my old cell provider go for a month or two and forgot about it, and wanted to go see if i could get any money back. store 1 treated me like an idiot and the last words the guy singsonged to me as i walked out was "you signed a contract!" store the second had a very nice lady that said "dang that sucks! lemme see whats up" and called the internal support line and couldnt get me a full refund, but figured out a way to cut me down to the lowest tier retroactively for 2 months so i ended up paying like $15/mo for those two instead of 50. these two stores were one mile apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i started watching a bunch of the Common Sense Skeptic videos on Musk, and holy moly the Solar City ones are amazing to behold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oIlmd69PXo

the SpaceX ones are also great

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i can only imagine how frustrating it is for the old folks to get used to this. i had to spend like 20 minutes hunting for all the poo poo they tucked away, and there's some features I still haven't found haha

:same:

The other thing I realized while driving it is how dangerous their one-pedal mode is. It's designed to train you out of being ready to use the brake pedal and leave 95% of the braking up to the tesla...which is just unnerving and obviously dangerous.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

one pedal driving owns and Tesla didn’t even start that. bmw’s i3 has had it way longer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

:same:

The other thing I realized while driving it is how dangerous their one-pedal mode is. It's designed to train you out of being ready to use the brake pedal and leave 95% of the braking up to the tesla...which is just unnerving and obviously dangerous.

was it in this thread or one of the other 'lol elong' threads where someone posted that story about the kid who failed their driving test because they took it in a tesla and the instructor failed them for "improper use of the brakes" when he was just driving the car the way it was designed to be driven?

either way, there's nothing unusual about tesla's one pedal drive mode, that's just the way electric cars work. volkswagen specifically added an alternate drive mode to the id4 that allows coasting to simulate the behavior of a traditional gas powertrain

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 28, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

one pedal driving owns and Tesla didn’t even start that. bmw’s i3 has had it way longer

every manual car has had it even longer and it's downright unnerving to drive a vehicle that doesn't do engine braking.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

teslas built in 2019 or earlier have the coast option but they one one flaw: no blended braking so all that kinetic energy’s going into heating the brakes. all 2020+ models have full regen only. Tesla bad.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

every manual car has had it even longer and it's downright unnerving to drive a vehicle that doesn't do engine braking.

same but also on motorcycles. I rarely used the clutch to shift too, so satisfying to rev it just right every time.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 28, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have never driven an electric car with one-pedal driving, but i'd imagine it's similar to driving a high-compression manual transmission car, which is the best kind of driving. so i'm fine with it if it's implemented in that way.

if it's training people to never use the brake pedal, though, that's a problem. gotta think about that one.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah, exactly.

motorcycles, being light vehicles with high-strung engines, have especially strong engine braking, and riding an electric motorcycle with regen off is super loving weird. it feels like you have no brakes, even though the actual brakes are working fine.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 28, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh god that would be so disorienting. half the fun of my drz is easing up off the throttle and slowing down while i throw sick braps

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

my energica ego's been in the shop for 3 months now because it's italian of course it's less reliable than a tesla. but my bike was dying randomly and it was super scary being in the middle of a turn and losing engine braking, you REALLY need engine braking on motorcycles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

engine braking between different cars is so radically different.

automatics have an even weirder thing where letting off the gas will sometimes provide a moderate amount of engine braking, sometimes almost nothing. might be a cvt thing. the TACC in my subaru however seems to be able to have a consistent amount of braking when coasting so it only has to hit the brakes if the car ahead is braking as well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In case you were wondering, Tesla Solar is a horrible idea

https://twitter.com/DeafishBlogger/status/1475555682149494784?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

my energica ego's been in the shop for 3 months now because it's italian of course it's less reliable than a tesla. but my bike was dying randomly and it was super scary being in the middle of a turn and losing engine braking, you REALLY need engine braking on motorcycles.

i absolutely love this bit of lore, incidentally. you can make a clean-sheet brand new electric motorcycle with a grand total of five moving parts, including the wheels, and the italians will still find a way to have it disintegrate underneath you and sit in the shop for months at a time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

In case you were wondering, Tesla Solar is a horrible idea

https://twitter.com/DeafishBlogger/status/1475555682149494784?s=20

once again tesla proves to be the "never tested anywhere except the bay area, and by that we mean the south bay, and only east of the coastal range, and only on sunny days" guys.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

i absolutely love this bit of lore, incidentally. you can make a clean-sheet brand new electric motorcycle with a grand total of five moving parts, including the wheels, and the italians will still find a way to have it disintegrate underneath you and sit in the shop for months at a time.

it's the only electric motorcycle in the world that can do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, 150 mph, and charge to full in 25 minutes. the fact that it's in the shop doesn't really surprise me. ducati announced their motoe bike, and i'm 100% sure I'll buy their bike too.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sagebrush posted:

once again tesla proves to be the "never tested anywhere except the bay area, and by that we mean the south bay, and only east of the coastal range, and only on sunny days" guys.

This is not even the panels. This is them hiring the most cut rate gently caress-up installers (certified union free) they can find, and then having zero after sale customer care operations for when things go wrong.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

love the panels

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mine's exactly as fast as that and charges to full in 37 seconds. also it sounds badass instead of having to pipe jetsons car noises through a speaker horn to comply with nhtsa regs

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

mine's exactly as fast as that and charges to full in 37 seconds. also it sounds badass instead of having to pipe jetsons car noises through a speaker horn to comply with nhtsa regs

i'm not aware of any electric motorcycles having noise maker requirements. also energicas have straight cut gears so they make sounds similar to rally cars it owns

edit: livewires have a vibrator built in to let the rider know it's 'running'

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i own two regular bicycles

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Nfcknblvbl posted:

edit: livewires have a vibrator built in

brb heading out to the motorcycle store

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

edit: livewires have a vibrator built in to let the rider know it's 'running'

hahahaha, nice one, punchy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it's the only electric motorcycle in the world that can do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, 150 mph, and charge to full in 25 minutes. the fact that it's in the shop doesn't really surprise me. ducati announced their motoe bike, and i'm 100% sure I'll buy their bike too.

you said it's in the shop because the regenerative braking quit working randomly. that doesn't have anything to do with how fast it can go or how quickly it can charge. they just built a lovely motor controller because it's :italy: lmao.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

you said it's in the shop because the regenerative braking quit working randomly. that doesn't have anything to do with how fast it can go or how quickly it can charge. they just built a lovely motor controller because it's :italy: lmao.

it died completely, not just loss of regen. i had to shut the bike off and back on again to get it to continue riding. but yep it's italian, so far they're telling me it's a software issue since swapping inverters didn't do poo poo.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i have never driven an electric car with one-pedal driving, but i'd imagine it's similar to driving a high-compression manual transmission car, which is the best kind of driving. so i'm fine with it if it's implemented in that way.

Yeah, I mean I've always used engine braking in both automatic and manual cars and the prius was good about their implementation of regenerative braking as well. In those instances you know the rate of braking you'll get from the engine as it's mostly constant based on the gear you put the car into.

The way tesla does it though I found to be unnerving as the rate of braking you get from the engine varies with no feedback to the driver so you have no clear sense of how much braking you should expect from the car. That's the entire marketing around "one pedal" driving (another disastrous marketing decision ala "autopilot").

So, for example, I put the car into drive, went down a hill at 15 MPH and then took my foot off the gas as I approached a stop sign and it came to a complete stop and hung there at the stop sign. In that case I took my foot of the gas too early and stopped 10 feet short. Then I went up to 35 mph and took my foot off the gas and came to a complete stop at a red light without touching the brake, but at a different rate of stopping, then I got on the freeway and went from 70 MPH down to 40 without touching the brake, but at a totally different rate of stopping again. Each time I anxiously hovered over the brake because I wasn't sure if the engine would supply enough to slow my down in time.

Is this how other high-compression manuals are? I can't say I've driven one of those outside of a parking valet job I had back in the day.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

when driving in one-pedal mode, i rarely let off the accelerator all the way as it's far too much braking force. instead, i'll gently let off the pedal as i'm slowing down. it essentially works the same way as when i'm down-shifting in a manual, i'd never fully let off the gas in that situation either. instead, i'm rev-matching the new gear ratio each time i downshift

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Nfcknblvbl posted:

coincidentally a finnish guy gave his 2013 model s with battery problems to the hydraulic press channel folks so they could blow it up. they had like 20 angles of it, it was amazing.
this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9aVzf5fC4

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nfcknblvbl posted:

when driving in one-pedal mode, i rarely let off the accelerator all the way as it's far too much braking force. instead, i'll gently let off the pedal as i'm slowing down. it essentially works the same way as when i'm down-shifting in a manual, i'd never fully let off the gas in that situation either. instead, i'm rev-matching the new gear ratio each time i downshift

lol

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

no u

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
y'allz ever driven one of them Smart cars with the weird "double-tap the gas to engage the clutch" (or something similar) thing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the bolt’s one pedal drive mode is a lot like driving a golf cart

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/liv_boeree/status/1475885152119185412

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

there's a shitload of successful artists out there doing their own stuff on youtube without a label, and eating well

she's the one stuck in the old ways

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe she can team up with sia and sell her next album for bitcoins

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
so does one-pedal driving just not have proper coasting or what

Sagebrush posted:

well, fortunately it's just the infotainment system! you still have the actual dashboard, of course, and none of the actual driving functions run on the big ipad in the middle. now, to take a big sip of coffee while i google "tesla model 3 dashboard"

the best part is that since loving everything is a touchscreen menu if it goes out the car is basically undrivable

not that that changes much, granted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

so does one-pedal driving just not have proper coasting or what

the best part is that since loving everything is a touchscreen menu if it goes out the car is basically undrivable

not that that changes much, granted

with an electric motor it can either have zero resistance (ie, just the spinning axle) or you can run the motor as a generator instead. when run as a generator theres actually a very significant amount of resistance comparable to a moderate application of brakes on a regular car. that means its very possible to just not use the brake pedal which must have a physical connection to the actual physical brakes and can't just be a command to a computer which applies some combination of physical disk brakes and regenerative braking.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

pm motors have some resistance even when they're off, and induction motors pretty much rotate freely when coasting

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My conclusion here is that one pedal driving sounds like a complete nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

back in 2000 or so the place i worked for was trying to integrate voice control which at the time meant using Dragon Dictate or something similar. These programs always had a 'training' period where it'd learn how you talked so i had to read like two pages of Huckleberry Finn to my computer and I have never felt like a bigger dorkwad in my entire life. I absolutely hate talking to machines and being talked to by machines.

when the tesla voice controls come out it'll make you read a page with the n-word on it