Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You are correct that the federal contractor and federal land rule won't be impacting the vast majority of restaurant workers. That's a matter for Congressional action, which is generally not a thing we want to hear rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

And I'm presuming, specifically, restaurants on the resorts' lands? Not, say, the Applebee's in downtown Colorado Springs outside the resort?

:rubby:

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

Chain restaurants in parks are almost always licenced and not actually run by the brand's parent company, similar to airports. There's companies that specialize in that niche market.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
One Weird Old Trick to make Executive Orders replace legislation: SCOTUS hates him!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I thought I'd seen this in passing when I was trying to puzzle out the tip credit thing. Issued about the same time (...and coming into effect today! score one for me posting a current events) was a somewhat complicated change to allowable tip credit calculations for tipped employees nationwide, under the DOL's authority to interpret the time and duty requirements.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/dol-issues-final-rule-changing-flsa-tip-8426271/

Significant improvement for workers over Trump's rule change, at least some improvement to workers over the one in place under Obama, restaurants are whining about it being less clear than Trump's because it doesn't codify their ability to steal as much wages. The biggest clear benefit is that before customers are in the restaurant and after there are no customers in the restaurant, nothing any employee is doing is tip-related work and so their wages from that time cannot be robbed (in this way).

although I bet a lot of employers are going to try to sneak by doing the old way, and it's such a boring and federal regulation that a lot of restaurant workers may be unaware

Yeah, I can give this nominal credit as a Biden win. Gotta wonder how many freshies are still going to keep doing their sidework while their last few tables cash out so they can leave early instead of hitting that higher payrate and milk the clock. Not that I made that mistake for years myself or anything

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I mean the point raised by Hooman stands, but I also want to raise the idea that something without will, say a virus, can of course "wish" to preserve perpetuate itself without will. Your argument that everything is people is understandable but I would argue that although systems are made up of people they are also made up of institutional memory and "traditions" that exist outside of individual people. The idea of societal trends being outside the control of the people presently alive does not seem to be too fantastical to me, would you disagree?

Also "convincing" people does not seem to be accurate to how a lot of systems are changed or set up. They require simply that a certain amount of force be brought to bear by people. Most people weren't in favour of MLK and the idea of Civil Rights but due to a wide variety of different means change was effected.

Your attitude seems to be that I am yelling at you about American problems in specific. I am not, I am trying to illustrate larger scale things using examples from a lot of different areas to hopefully highlight how they might apply to America in the present moment. It's not meant as critique of America systems specifically, but they are the ones that I am focusing on a little. The idea about system could also be applied to China, Russia or other nations. Systems that perpetuate themselves long past the point of their usefulness is something I would argue we all see.

Mate, did you actually read what I said? "Your local department may be corrupt and so you blame them, whereas the wider problem is the police as they exist" was my major point, did you somehow miss what I was saying? Did I not explain it well enough, can anyone else please let me know?

I'm not saying that popular discontent would be ipso facto "leftist" merely that as extractive organs become increasingly less connected to what they are "supposed" to do the more that disengagement or critique of them will rise. This needn't necessarily be a leftist one, it might very well be liberal or centrist. But the more that a group feels less like a system benefits them in any way, the more likely they are to find fault with said system.

As a secondary thing your urge to go "no the working class are now far more into the far right" does not seem to be borne out by what the average "worker" now looks like inside of the USA. Many of them are none white and working several jobs in the USA. Your attitude is essentially a critique of "leftism" that does not seem that accurate, to me at least.

I've visited, but I don't claim any especial insight, simply a small understanding of systems. But your eagerness to tell me how wrong and stupid I am is not exactly conducive to a interesting chat about things.

I'm not going to apologise for wasting your time, but I am going to hope that you have a pleasant day!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 29, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's literally zero evidence the CDC reduced quarantine guidelines at the behest of business...

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1475893387098218514

Ignore that evidence!

Tbh it's wild that a CEO is even allowed to ask the CDC to do anything in the first place

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Meh we can't know for sure it isn't just a coincidence, maybe they both read the exact same study that says covid disappears in 5 days now

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Tbh it's wild that a CEO is even allowed to ask the CDC to do anything in the first place

I mean, this is America. We are a fully institutionally captured corporate oligarchy. I'm just surprised this actually came to light

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ex post facho posted:

I mean, this is America. We are a fully institutionally captured corporate oligarchy. I'm just surprised this actually came to light

That isn't even really surprising anymore. The past couple years have really made it obvious that they don't even have to pretend anymore. They can (and have) literally said "gently caress you, go out there and die so our number can go up, suck our poo poo." and on the whole we just shrug and go "Eh, what can ya do?" like an appliance from the Flintstones because we are constantly reminded that consequences don't happen to them.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ex post facho posted:

The thing about being a fully institutionally captured corporate oligarchy is that corporations can get fast and loose with making demands and not give a poo poo about the fall out because of the fully institutionalized captured corporate oligarchy bit. Whats the worst that could happen to Delta? A one off mild editorial in the fully captured paper of record?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

the_steve posted:

That isn't even really surprising anymore. The past couple years have really made it obvious that they don't even have to pretend anymore. They can (and have) literally said "gently caress you, go out there and die so our number can go up, suck our poo poo." and on the whole we just shrug and go "Eh, what can ya do?" like an appliance from the Flintstones because we are constantly reminded that consequences don't happen to them.

Remember at the start of the pandemic when they brought out a parade of retail giant CEOs to tell us that everything's gonna be ok?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nix Panicus posted:

Whats the worst that could happen to Delta? A one off mild editorial in the fully captured paper of record?

Forced to rebrand to Omicron.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I believe the facts show that the Delta CEO is not a CDC representative.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You are correct that the federal contractor and federal land rule won't be impacting the vast majority of restaurant workers. That's a matter for Congressional action, which is generally not a thing we want to hear rn.

One of the things I think that will stand the test of time re: what is remembered of this age is the fact that "Congress will need to do something about that" is at this point a thought termination point because it's almost exactly identical to saying "and nobody will object to this"

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes it seems to be the case that the Delta CEO is more like a CDC executive

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Frankly, hypothesizing about leftist popular discontent reaching the levels of literal civil war and revolution in the foreseeable future because of a slightly-more-conservative Supreme Court is practically delusional. The left, as yet, has been unable to even muster "Tea Party movement" levels of popular discontent. People are mad, sure...but they're throwing in with the fash, because the modern left has lost touch with the populace and essentially handed the working class over to the far-right.

Going to need a citation on that friend

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Fact check:

Just because two things that seem related happen in close proximity, such as a CEO asking the CDC for a shortening of quarantine to 5 days followed by the CDC shortening quarantine to 5 days, is no reason to assume those things are actually related. The CDC was just following the science, which conveniently pointed to the same conclusions corporate interests requested they reach. Perhaps Delta ran their own lab study? In any event, Politifact rates this as false and awards six Pinocchios.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Yeah the people doing the major Right wing moving and shaking are the tea party crowd. They became the Q crowd. Loud, informed mostly off stuff right of fox news or worse etc and internet memes, and very resistant to the idea they might be wrong about anything. They have dragged the general right with them mostly on the power of being the premier RWM ad-group. Your just hearing the soft right quote their dumb poo poo, just like it quoted the dumb tea party poo poo.

Right wing memes are generated via some unknown process, posted on twitter or a chan, then circulated in a tweet-segment cycle to launder it into their reality.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Going through reports and I realize I missed some people who responded outside of the 30 minute window. If you'd like a 12 hour probation with whatever image I deem fit to use (or if you have a request let me know in it) please quote this post, I don't want to leave anybody thinking I have ignored them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Yeah the people doing the major Right wing moving and shaking are the tea party crowd. They became the Q crowd. Loud, informed mostly off stuff right of fox news or worse etc and internet memes, and very resistant to the idea they might be wrong about anything. They have dragged the general right with them mostly on the power of being the premier RWM ad-group. Your just hearing the soft right quote their dumb poo poo, just like it quoted the dumb tea party poo poo.

Right wing memes are generated via some unknown process, posted on twitter or a chan, then circulated in a tweet-segment cycle to launder it into their reality.

The tea party was entirely astroturfed at the levels that meant anything and the people dancing around in silly costumes waving signs were bandwagoning on a higher level party conflict. Q is a weirdly organic thing pushed by crazies for crazies that a few politicians are trying to ride but are in no way in control of.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Epic High Five posted:

Going through reports and I realize I missed some people who responded outside of the 30 minute window. If you'd like a 12 hour probation with whatever image I deem fit to use (or if you have a request let me know in it) please quote this post, I don't want to leave anybody thinking I have ignored them

an image that would befit my username imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epic High Five posted:

Might as well get a "fun" probation on my shameful, shameful rap sheet. Just, not in the face, EH5. See y'all tomorrow!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Might as well get a "fun" probation on my shameful, shameful rap sheet. Just, not in the face, EH5. See y'all tomorrow!

You got one of my personal favorites

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Epic High Five posted:

Something sheep related

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Seems extremely convenient to me that the CDC would determine that the line for maximizing self-isolation compliance would align so neatly with the demands by corporate interests but maybe it's just a coincidence

France and most of the E.U. have had the quarantine time reduced to 7 days for over a year. The E.U. and CDC guidance for vaccinated people has also been 5 days for almost a year.

This is clearly a balancing of interests decision, but it didn't seem to have any negative impact on France who has had the reduced time since Oct. 2020.

They should keep the quarantine longer as an incentive for businesses and unvaaccinated staff to get vaccinated. There has been a continuing trend of weakening rules for unvaccimated people because they are still refusing to get vaccinated, but it seems like that is just telling them that their strategy is successful.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

France and most of the E.U. have had the quarantine time reduced to 7 days for over a year. The E.U. and CDC guidance for vaccinated people has also been 5 days for almost a year.

This is clearly a balancing of interests decision, but it didn't seem to have any negative impact on France who has had the reduced time since Oct. 2020.

They should keep the quarantine longer as an incentive for businesses and unvaaccinated staff to get vaccinated. There has been a continuing trend of weakening rules for unvaccimated people because they are still refusing to get vaccinated, but it seems like that is just telling them that their strategy is successful.

Boy that's lucky for Delta then. I bet their CEO feels like a real sillybilly for sending a letter that ended up being totally unnecessary with all the science lining up like that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boy that's lucky for Delta then. I bet their CEO feels like a real sillybilly for sending a letter that ended up being totally unnecessary with all the science lining up like that

I'm sure that was a reason. But, I don't think most of the E.U. were bowing to American corporate pressure to set up the U.S. with an excuse in 2021 when they did it in 2020. Or that the U.S. waiting a year to follow their lead was because they were bravely fighting back for a year.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 29, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Didn't the EU, or I guess France at least, actually do good lockdown protocols? Not the constant new line in the sand appeasement that went on in the states because they didn't want to hear temper tantrums from anti-maskers and business owners?

Just wondering if that was a possible factor when they made the decision since they had a smaller population/ostensibly did a better job combatting it early on.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm sure that was a reason. But, I don't think most of the E.U. were bowing to American corporate pressure to set up the U.S. with an excuse in 2021 when they did it in 2020. Or that the U.S. waiting a year to follow their lead was because they were bravely fighting back for a year.

Oh okay, lucky Delta then

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Oh okay, lucky Delta then

What are you actually trying to communicate? It sure is nice when this whole thread is vague and sarcastic so nobody can actually have a conversation.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fart Amplifier posted:

What are you actually trying to communicate? It sure is nice when this whole thread is vague and sarcastic so nobody can actually have a conversation.

You must have missed the memo about the US Current Events thread being turned into a :justpost: thread for shitposting

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Kalit posted:

You must have missed the memo about the US Current Events thread being turned into a :justpost: thread for shitposting

Thank you for your hard work in making the thread better with posts like this. Keep up the hard work! Be the change in the world you wish to see!

Fart Amplifier posted:

Based on the quoted post and the ones immediately preceding it, it appears the poster is stating that it's awfully convenient that the CDC changed their guidelines after urging from the CEO of Delta, and the guidelines happen to mesh with guidelines in place with the EU (that previously were not relevant to any discussion of US policy).

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Kalit posted:

look they'll do something about it once the path of exile league ends, alright

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

yay I always miss these

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Cow Bell posted:

Based on the quoted post and the ones immediately preceding it, it appears the poster is stating that it's awfully convenient that the CDC changed their guidelines after urging from the CEO of Delta, and the guidelines happen to mesh with guidelines in place with the EU (that previously were not relevant to any discussion of US policy).

Perhaps that poster should attempt to actually respond in good faith to the comments rather than bad faith vagueposting

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

I didn't think it was hard to parse but I enjoy you spending a post whining about sarcasm by attempting to make your point with sarcasm

Fart Amplifier posted:

Perhaps that poster should attempt to actually respond in good faith to the comments rather than bad faith vagueposting

I'm not sure what makes my posting in bad faith. My original posts were just a reaction to other posters citing a handful of data points with the implication that these data points somehow either disproved or otherwise mitigated the assertion by other posters that this action was done at the behest of the Delta CEO sending them a letter a week before the guideline revisions asking them to do it

Of course neither Leon nor DV earlier appeared to have constructed much of an actual thesis for it beyond noting that these potential confounding factors exist, so I dunno how I'm supposed to argue without an argument to respond to so I'm not trying. I'm not contesting any of those data points, just noting that it if these confounding factors are what drove the revisions, it's indeed very convenenient for Delta that it all dovetails so neatly with their business-driven request, which they needn't have sent if it didn't actually do anything

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

If you weren't in such a rush to slam the "bad faith" button you could have interpreted the posts in the same manner I did (considering I read the same posts available to you prior to responding), as they were not as vague as you mentioned. Then you, yourself, could have engaged in an argument with the poster. Instead of whatever this is.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

All y'all need to stop with the lovely snipes at each other.
All. Y'all.

Vagueposters, please try to be less vague in your posts. If you are doing a bad faith shitpost, at least make it amusing for us.

People who are unhappy about the vagueposts, please try asking them to elaborate before immediately jumping into accusations of bad faith shitposting, or just Report the post if you're certain that it is indeed a BFS.

Posters who want to keep trying to turn this into a feedback thread, please stop. Take it to QCS or message a Real Mod or use the Report button, just stop trying to air your grievances in this particular thread.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
gently caress man Harry Reid died.

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1475994714008522753?s=20

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 29, 2021