Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King Vidiot posted:

Some of you guys just can't appreciate a good gently caress-around vanity project and it shows. Lana made this movie for herself and doesn't give a drat if you like it.

This could be 100% true and to me, the idea that Lana Wachowski took a bunch of Warner Bros' money to A) Tell Warner Bros to go gently caress themselves and B) Work through some personal stuff, makes the film immensely more compelling to me. But even then, even if Lana doesn't care if people dislike it, people are still allowed to dislike it and voice disliking it.

Having said that, the whole "I challenge you to summarize the movie" thing was pretty weird and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MJeff posted:

But even then, even if Lana doesn't care if people dislike it, people are still allowed to dislike it and voice disliking it.

True, it's just that some people seem really angry about it which I just find baffling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King Vidiot posted:

True, it's just that some people seem really angry about it which I just find baffling.

Well.

Yeah.

Like, purely for example, this thread, the absolute worst way to watch a movie I've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/ReviewsPossum/status/1474194710524796930

I genuinely feel nothing but pity for people who choose to engage media in this way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This wasn't good at all but I had real fun watching it and making light of how up its own rear end it went.

I'd loving love to get one of these every year, like the Saw movies used to be. Just shake all the Matrix parts in a jar and pour it into a differently shaped crazy mold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resurrections is flawed but it is flawed in a way I find interesting and, more to the point, it's a film that feels like it has its own feeling which is preciously rare these days and makes me willing to forgive some parts I didn't much like.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone describing a film as being up its own rear end sounds like someone really underestimating the size of their rear end eating audience.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MJeff posted:

Well.

Yeah.

Like, purely for example, this thread, the absolute worst way to watch a movie I've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/ReviewsPossum/status/1474194710524796930

I genuinely feel nothing but pity for people who choose to engage media in this way.

Quick perusal of this person's YT and it appears they unironically imitate Mr. Plinkett style reviews so hard it hurts. Definitely blaming Red Letter Media for spawning this horrible approach to engage with art/media.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

possum review can’t be real it has to be a bit because like 2/3 of that review is explicitly missing the point of the poo poo it’s saying

Edit: like what is this????

https://twitter.com/reviewspossum/status/1474260371552755719?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 29, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I did think that bit was a little hosed.

Like, she'd have memories of giving birth to those kids and marrying that guy.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

What don't people like about Reloaded and Revolutions?

I like all the movies but I'm genuinely curious. No wrong answers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the second she awakened she knew they’re fake though. They’re explicitly shown to be just swarm npcs. They’re not real. They never were. She fucks the analyst up at the end specifically for using children to imprison her.

It’s laid out very loving clearly in the film!!!

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I re-watched the first three movies (Which in my opinion, are all great in their own way). So I remember the plot and this movie was still a steaming pile of poo poo.

It's the Picard to the originals TNG.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Noam Chomsky posted:

I love both but my nitpick on Reloaded is why did Neo fight Smith? Bro you can just leave whenever you want.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The baddies aren’t studying Neo; they literally created him - a fact that’s not stated in this movie, outside a single vague line about ‘rumours that Neo was working with the machines all along.’
Idk about the previous movies, but they definitely established that Neo is mechanized now with that montage of him and Trinity being reconstructed.

There was also a flashback to Trinity's death that reminded me that Neo used to be blind, implying the machines must have reconstructed his eyes, in particular. They drive the point in by having Bugs say "let me show you" (that your sacrifice wasn't meaningless) afterward. And just prior to the flashback, Bugs is talking about how "if you don't know what's real, you can't resist", which also seems relevant if machines mediate Neo's vision in the real world now too.

And insofar as Bugs is the Warner rep (and fanfic author?) dragging Neo out of stasis, those quotes almost scan as a statement of her personal control over Neo, like his eyes belong to her (or else like she embodies his eyes, as a sort of extension of her being the white rabbit of the vision quest). The use of Bugs' blue for the Analyst's glasses and the framed butterfly in his office (symbolizing illusion) also kind of push me in that direction

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the second she awakened she knew they’re fake though. They’re explicitly shown to be just swarm npcs. They’re not real. They never were. She fucks the analyst up at the end specifically for using children to imprison her.

It’s laid out very loving clearly in the film!!!

But that also opens up another can of worms because the film clearly says that AIs are "real" and deserve to be treated as equals to humanity, not doing that was the whole reason why the Matrix exists in the first place. Is the argument now that there is a new "AI slave class"? So are these just dumb NPCs but still manage to be so perfect in their behaviour to fool real humans?
There are a lot of serious (bad) implications like you'd never know whether or not another AI is "real" if they can fake being "real" to that extent. That's why the whole "swarm npc"-angle is an obvious cop out because it doesn't resolve anything. You could have easily argued that agents like Smith in the first one are "just" programms who hunt humans but aren't deserving of being called sentient but then the sequels also blurred the line with "good programms" which we are told should be treated as equals and obviously are sentient.
But even if you accept that those NPCs weren't real then you have to ask if her feelings for them and her husband were real and the answers to that aren't really any better or create at least other issues/questions which could be interesting but the movie doesn't even want to explore so it is kind of wasted and more a distraction that can be read in a very negative way ("children are only there to enslave women"). So that subplot certainly lacked nuance and depth and felt like they wanted to give Trinity a hurdle she hat to overcome but they also didn't want to invest the time into her story to give it any depth and not make it this awkward (and why are we still doing the "stalking is love" trope in 2021?).

PS: The ending and the violence in that scene were also weird. I hate to use a "chud" argument but that scene would have been a huge yikes if a male protagonist would have acted this way or it is at least reserved for anti-heroes. They certainly wouldn't have used Neo to beat up a villain who isn't a threat at this point just out of revenge (even in this movie Neo is still very passive towards Smith despite everything he did to him).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 29, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The machines “rebuilt” Neo and Trinity by recreating their fleshy bits. That’s why it was expensive, as it probably hadn’t been done before? That’s my read anyway, I didn’t come away thinking they’re now made of nano bots or something…

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

The machines “rebuilt” Neo and Trinity by recreating their fleshy bits. That’s why it was expensive, as it probably hadn’t been done before? That’s my read anyway, I didn’t come away thinking they’re now made of nano bots or something…

I mean… machine’s entire energy source is manufacturing humans (from birth). Sure there’s probably extra steps to rebuilding an already existing human but we (as batteries) are their bread and butter.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean… machine’s entire energy source is manufacturing humans (from birth). Sure there’s probably extra steps to rebuilding an already existing human but we (as batteries) are their bread and butter.

good point! Although iirc the only mention of that was in the og film when Morpheus says humans are grown, not born. So maybe fixing broken humans physically is something they never bothered trying before.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Maybe I'm misrembering, but didn't Nu-Morpheus call Bugs a synthient when they first met? "I hunt synthients like you," or something. If he's not wrong, it would make Bugs a machine with a really humanoid body and leave the same as a possibility for Neo

Edit: Or else it would signal we didn't actually leave the Matrix

mmmmalo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

People shouldn't be surprised by the Matrix having baffling tacky poo poo in it, especially when it comes to the Merovingian

This is a series where a woman eats a cake that makes her cum

so what you're saying is, merovingian is upset because they purged his ability to make women cum

there it is, the villain's motive for matrix 5

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseLord posted:

I think it's more than that she didn't give a gently caress if people liked it. She put people who enthusastically liked the first three for shallow reasons in as antagonists.

Trans rights and anticapitalism are presented as ‘shallow’ and ‘wrong’ because the film’s thesis is that the matrix is an actually-existing alternate universe. As one character asserts, memories of fiction are equally real as memories of actual experiences.

Tom Anderson’s game isn’t about trans rights because it’s literally a direct copy of his lived experience of being trapped in a computer game by fear-eating vampires. Neo very, very sincerely wanted to kill nonsensical baddies and gently caress a gal on a motorcycle. It wasn’t for fun; he had to do it because the universe would otherwise blow up for no raisin.

This is why the “neoologist” is ‘good’ despite being a glorified Wikipedia editor. He believes Neo is a literally-real war hero and even wants to gently caress Neo.

In other words, unfortunately, everything I wrote earlier in the thread has been confirmed right by Lana Wachowski herself.

Noam Chomsky posted:

They’re a single extremely bloated film with absurd amounts of expository dialogue that has little to do with the actual narrative, which is simply about beating up Smith to prevent a revolutionary upheaval of the matrix.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Really wish you wouldn't talk about trans stuff SMG because you don't actually care about it, don't understand it and every time you try to quantify it ends up weird as gently caress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

Really wish you wouldn't talk about trans stuff SMG because you don't actually care about it, don't understand it and every time you try to quantify it ends up weird as gently caress.

What stuff is being quantified uncaringly?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Shiroc posted:

really seconding this. it makes me uncomfortable when some of the folks in here try to analyze the trans narrative or even bring up trans stuff, SMG being at the top of that list

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What stuff is being quantified uncaringly?

Everything.

I know you don't care from reading every time trans stuff comes up and you are wildly tone deaf, get it wrong, make awful leaps and on and on. You just have a pathological or gimmick need to be the all knowing prophet of truth for random blockbuster movies and here are stuck knowing that trans stuff is *supposed* to be important to the Matrix but you don't understand it whatsoever, so you just slam it into whatever the hell you really want to be on about.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I mean...... it was the other poster that argued that the "trans rights" reading of the first films is presented as a "shallow" interpretation by the antagonists in Resurrection. Right?

because this

HorseLord posted:

I think it's more than that she didn't give a gently caress if people liked it. She put people who enthusastically liked the first three for shallow reasons in as antagonists.
includes the guys who say the Matrix 1 was about trans issues and cryptofascism

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martman posted:

I mean...... it was the other poster that argued that the "trans rights" reading of the first films is presented as a "shallow" interpretation by the antagonists in Resurrection. Right?

because this

I personally don't care as much about people who are in my opinion reading that scene wrong. I have particular issue with SMG that has spanned months of this thread and other ones for being super loving weird about trans viewpoints.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martman posted:

because this

The problem with that reading is that the point isn't that they are wrong. It is that it is a shallow heartless reading of the film. Like "The Matrix is about trans rights" doesn't have to be incorrect for the shallow marketing person going "It's gotta be about, uh, trans stuff, right?" to not actually be saying anything of note or meaning because he doesn't care about Trans Rights, just "what are the marketing buzzwords for The Matrix." Like that is the entire point. They literally are looking at buzzwords to try to puzzle something together that "feels" the Matrix without actually being it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with that reading is that the point isn't that they are wrong. It is that it is a shallow heartless reading of the film. Like "The Matrix is about trans rights" doesn't have to be incorrect for the shallow marketing person going "It's gotta be about, uh, trans stuff, right?" to not actually be saying anything of note or meaning because he doesn't care about Trans Rights, just "what are the marketing buzzwords for The Matrix."
I didn't think it seemed clear at all that the two who mentioned those issues were dishonest or just reaching for SJW cred or something. They seemed like some of the most enthusiastic participants in that discussion to me.

Personally I got the vibe that the movie is kind of lashing out about it being impossible to make any genuine statement at all once the property has been absorbed into the corporation, no matter its depth or honesty. And there's almost a retroactive feeling that even if it meant something in the first place it's been ruined by the suits (or at least there is a fear of that). I think a lot of the debate and confusion over the message is coming from that source of frustration.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm pretty sure the characters that mention trans politics and anticapitalism are also the ones that are balking at the ones saying stuff like "Matrix needs to be dumb and loud". It didn't strike me as a one-size fits all "all of these morons are wrong" thing.

It is possible for those characters to have been well-meaning and have a salient point while still also contributing to the overall wall of noise that was barraging Neo. I think reading the film as dismissive of trans interpretations of the Matrix based on that one scene is really loving glib at best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martman posted:

I didn't think it seemed clear at all that the two who mentioned those issues were dishonest or just reaching for SJW cred or something. They seemed like some of the most enthusiastic participants in that discussion to me.

Personally I got the vibe that the movie is kind of lashing out about it being impossible to make any genuine statement at all once the thing has been absorbed into the corporation, no matter its depth or honesty. I think a lot of the debate and confusion over the message is coming from that source.

The entire point of the scene is that they are throwing out marketing buzzwords in an attempt to replicate a movie. Even if they are enthusiastic they are not attempting to make a movie. They are attempting to make The Matrix out of a variety of buzzwords that "make" it. It's a criticism of modern blockbuster culture because the first thing they try to think of is what easily digestible marketing buzzwords The Matrix is about instead of like... what would you actually want to do?

Like they aren't wrong. There are things there you associate with The Matrix. Bullet Time is, in fact, synonymous with The Matrix. The reason it is presented badly is because they're not actually trying to make a 'game' about those things. They are just trying to figure out what buzzwords are most marketable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really disagree. Even if a corporation brings in minorities as a token gesture, that doesn't mean the intention or honesty of those minorities is in question. They're not all throwing out marketing buzzwords, because "trans rights" and "cryptofascism".... aren't really marketing buzzwords.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with that reading is that the point isn't that they are wrong. It is that it is a shallow heartless reading of the film. Like "The Matrix is about trans rights" doesn't have to be incorrect for the shallow marketing person going "It's gotta be about, uh, trans stuff, right?" to not actually be saying anything of note or meaning because he doesn't care about Trans Rights, just "what are the marketing buzzwords for The Matrix." Like that is the entire point. They literally are looking at buzzwords to try to puzzle something together that "feels" the Matrix without actually being it.
Yeah, it's this. The point isn't that trans readings of The Matrix are bad. The point is that commodifying the trans politics into a brand is bad. But the video game developers aren't all being shown as equally bad. They're all working in a flawed system of commodification, but the guy who mentions trans politics seems earnest.

But also, the idea that hat trans-readings of The Matrix are being undermined by a movie in which the climax is the hero reclaiming her name and telling The Matrix to stop dead-naming her--just like Neo does in the original--seems off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martman posted:

I really disagree. Even if a corporation brings in minorities as a token gesture, that doesn't mean the intention or honesty of those minorities is in question. They're not all throwing out marketing buzzwords, because "trans rights" and "cryptofascism".... aren't really marketing buzzwords.

Yes they are. Like maybe you are not aware of it but LGBTQ+ matters are absolutely used as a cheap marketing ploy all the loving time, as is limpwristed criticism of fascism that doesn't actually address anything more complex then "Hitler? Bad."

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Martman posted:

Personally I got the vibe that the movie is kind of lashing out about it being impossible to make any genuine statement at all once the property has been absorbed into the corporation, no matter its depth or honesty. And there's almost a retroactive feeling that even if it meant something in the first place it's been ruined by the suits (or at least there is a fear of that). I think a lot of the debate and confusion over the message is coming from that source of frustration.

I mean, the most enthusiastic was the not-Jeff Gerstmann ranting about guns and bullet time, so I don't know that it's gonna be the best barometer.

Neo sees the trilogy as something that defines his life (or his life defines), and a life can't be captured by the correct series of buzzwords.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes they are. Like maybe you are not aware of it but LGBTQ+ matters are absolutely used as a cheap marketing ploy all the loving time, as is limpwristed criticism of fascism that doesn't actually address anything more complex then "Hitler? Bad."
I guess I'm wondering what it would look like for the characters to be presenting those readings in a more honest and deep way. It is one thing to say the entire process is flawed, it's a whole different thing to say the antagonists are being associated with specifically "shallow reasons" to like the original.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, it's this. The point isn't that trans readings of The Matrix are bad. The point is that commodifying the trans politics into a brand is bad. But the video game developers aren't all being shown as equally bad. They're all working in a flawed system of commodification, but the guy who mentions trans politics seems earnest.

But also, the idea that hat trans-readings of The Matrix are being undermined by a movie in which the climax is the hero reclaiming her name and telling The Matrix to stop dead-naming her--just like Neo does in the original--seems off.

Just outta curiosity, was it confirmed anywhere that Tiffany was her pre-awakening name or is that just the logical thing to assume from her going "Tiffany? Really?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martman posted:

I guess I'm wondering what it would look like for the characters to be presenting those readings in a more honest and deep way. It is one thing to say the entire process is flawed, it's a whole different thing to say the antagonists are being associated with specifically "shallow reasons" to like the original.

That is specifically how the scene is framed. They are literally supposed to be tossing out buzzwords. Hell I think they literally use that phrase. It isn't that it is a shallow reading. It is that they are taking something that is extremely personal and trying to boil those personal elements down to figure out what the magic combination of 'traits' to make it successful is.

Note that none of them are actually discussing a plot, characters, anything of the story. They are building backwards from what they think people want to see or what they associate with The Matrix. Neo on the other hand knows what he associates with it but it isn't anything they care about. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure "a love story" isn't actually mentioned once, while the film clearly presents Neo (and thus the author) as finding that the main thing worth revisiting The Matrix for.

But even if that wasn't the case the scene is pretty clear. It's like someone discussing how to make Star Wars and they toss out "Good vs Evil!" "Lightsabers!" "Spaceships!" "Darth Vader" and basically focusing on how to recreate something that already exists and rather than trying to make something distinctive and personal they just want to create The Matrix But We Can Sell It Again. And Neo's entire arc is that he says "No, gently caress that." He doesn't want the Matrix again. He doesn't want to fight Smith again or be The One again. He wants to create the happy ending he couldn't before.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't that it is a shallow reading. It is that they are taking something that is extremely personal and trying to boil those personal elements down to figure out what the magic combination of 'traits' to make it successful is.
I don't think I'm disagreeing. I'm responding to the issue over SMG responding to horselord saying the antagonists are shown to like the movie for shallow reasons. I agree the entire process of the pitch session is presented as corrupt and wrong, I just think it's wrong even if some of the things they're saying are not in fact shallow reasons to like the Matrix.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure "a love story" isn't actually mentioned once, while the film clearly presents Neo (and thus the author) as finding that the main thing worth revisiting The Matrix for.
This was first thing that jumped out to me and that I posted about in this thread, and I agree. I view a lot of the shape of this movie as making sense as a parodic "gently caress you" more than anything else, but that still leaves me with a lot of material that I struggle to find a lot of meaning from.