Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

I also tried WLW at a bar this year, and while I really enjoyed it, it was definitely hot, and really changed how I think about some of these ‘unicorn’ bottles.

Great whisky, but not like spends months and years driving yourself crazy trying to find one.

The only bourbon that’s on my must try list now is the belle meade honey barrel stuff. I really hope some other distillers figure that whole process out so there’s some competition/chance to try it.

And that's a big part of why I paid 25ish an ounce to try those two, just to see what 'the best' tasted like. The Pappy was super enjoyable and I really liked it, and I'd probably pay up to around 250 a bottle for it, same as a Johnny Walker Blue. The WLW was good, but altogether just far to hot to justify it. Having scratched these two itches it really puts the rest of what's out there in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m currently making an infinity bottle and I have roughly 50 bourbons and ryes in a single 750ml bottle. I noticed that my swing cap has let about 3 ml of liquid evaporate. Would a cork be better to keep the liquid in?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Has anyone had the Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton?

I honestly think it's the best whiskey I've ever had. It's not overly complex, but it is complex. It's just so good and such an experience, for the money I'm not sure I'll ever find something as great.

For about twice the money: my Spec's has tons of these 2008 Bunnahabhain Manzanilla Cask bottles, so I bought one and it is absolutely incredible. The Manzanilla is SO strong, it's almost like drinking straight Manzanilla with how the flavor and nose pops. Just fantastic.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DoctaFun posted:

The only bourbon that’s on my must try list now is the belle meade honey barrel stuff. I really hope some other distillers figure that whole process out so there’s some competition/chance to try it.

There are tons of (arguably better even) alternatives to this that are somewhat of an open secret, but almost exclusive to barrel pick groups, although a store will occasionally snag one.
Usually MGP, just like the Belle Meade is (Good Times, Nashville Barrel Co, Northside Distillery, etc.) but Starlight is doing some honey finish too

Nimmy posted:

I honestly think it's the best whiskey I've ever had. It's not overly complex, but it is complex. It's just so good and such an experience, for the money I'm not sure I'll ever find something as great.

I've had a bottle of the Chateau Montelena that I bought on sale a while ago but haven't opened it, wonder how they compare being the same base spirit but with a different finish.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that found the Weller unbearably hot.

Sounds like a waste to turn whiskey that hard to find into "____ and Coke" but if I can't drink it straight it's not much else use to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What makes whiskey "hot" if it's not alcohol content anyway?

I have a gin that is so heady it's almost impossible to drink, but it's no more alcoholic than any other gin. I don't get it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Data Graham posted:

What makes whiskey "hot" if it's not alcohol content anyway?

I have a gin that is so heady it's almost impossible to drink, but it's no more alcoholic than any other gin. I don't get it

It mostly depends on how hot they run the stills, and the cuts they make when distilling.

Barrel aging can also add spicy flavors and aromas.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 21, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm off to visit my SO's family for Christmas, and apparently small town nowhere plains states are not bourbon hot spots. There's shelves of Henry Mckenna 10, Blanton's Single Barrel, and EH Taylor Small Batch everywhere. If dealing with the secondary market wasn't so loving annoying, I could make some decent cash bringing all this back home.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm off to visit my SO's family for Christmas, and apparently small town nowhere plains states are not bourbon hot spots. There's shelves of Henry Mckenna 10, Blanton's Single Barrel, and EH Taylor Small Batch everywhere. If dealing with the secondary market wasn't so loving annoying, I could make some decent cash bringing all this back home.

Bring them all back home anyway, and drink them.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Nimmy posted:

For about twice the money: my Spec's has tons of these 2008 Bunnahabhain Manzanilla Cask bottles, so I bought one and it is absolutely incredible. The Manzanilla is SO strong, it's almost like drinking straight Manzanilla with how the flavor and nose pops. Just fantastic.

I had a bottle of that green spot a few years back. Really enjoyed it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spankmeister posted:

It mostly depends on how hot they run the stills, and the cuts they make when distilling.

Barrel aging can also add spicy flavors and aromas.

That's super interesting, thanks!

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Skip the secondary and sell straight to me. If you legit want to make a few bucks I'm down to hook you up. PM me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

How are the prices? McKenna 10 is a nice pickup if it isn't at the "new normal" price.

Be on the lookout for the rarer EH Taylors as well, it sounds like you have a real shot at finding something cool while you're there.

Obviously check for Stagg Jr., MWND, and the like as well. Good hunting!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Hell if those are just sitting on shelves look out for Weller 12, ETL, ORVW, and Lot B

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I bought myself a Christmas present for me: A bottle of Glenmorangie Signet. I think whether or not it's worth the asking price is highly subjective, but it is my favorite scotch.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Just give me my Old Overholt and keep the price at $20 please. I've found my happy place.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I've finally made it. My local just messaged me to ask me if he should save me a bottle of hard to find stuff. I said yes of course.

Not a huge deal but it's Knob Creek 12 yr which is great and hard to find in Michigan. The bottle I have I found in KY 2 years ago.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wraith_5_ posted:

Skip the secondary and sell straight to me. If you legit want to make a few bucks I'm down to hook you up. PM me.

I'll see what kind of stuff I can nab and if there's extras I'll def hit you up.

Vox Nihili posted:

How are the prices? McKenna 10 is a nice pickup if it isn't at the "new normal" price.

Be on the lookout for the rarer EH Taylors as well, it sounds like you have a real shot at finding something cool while you're there.

Obviously check for Stagg Jr., MWND, and the like as well. Good hunting!

McKenna 10 is $45 a bottle, I saw the latest Bookers at $80, Willett 4yr rye was $50, and EH Taylor was $55. I haven't seen any of those close to that price back home.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

McKenna 10 is $45 a bottle, I saw the latest Bookers at $80, Willett 4yr rye was $50, and EH Taylor was $55. I haven't seen any of those close to that price back home.

That's a solid price for the Willett at least.

The McKenna pricing still gives me whiplash even though I know $45 is competitive now; it was like $25 just a couple years ago.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

That's a solid price for the Willett at least.

The McKenna pricing still gives me whiplash even though I know $45 is competitive now; it was like $25 just a couple years ago.

OWA at 60 does this to me
But gently caress, people are paying multiple hundreds of dollars for freaking Stagg Jr and Elmer T Lee so that's a bargain

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m trying to identify a flavor I don’t like in whiskey. I usually taste it in Speyside scotch, and I just got a bottle Suntory Toki as a gift that also has it. It typically presents in light, floral whiskey.

It’s a kind of acrid flavor. I’d describe it as “bileous,” but of course people who enjoy it must call it something else. If anyone could help me discern what it might be, it’d be easier for me to avoid in the future.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Might be a grassy flavor? I have that issue with highland park.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've heard that note described as sour milk, lactic acid, buttermilk, and more extremely, baby puke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're spiking scotch with butyric acid now?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Quick public service announcement
Recent Barrell Single Barrel store picks with "distilled in Kentucky" on the label (6-8 years age stated) are Willett distillate and comparable to purple top Willett bourbon around the same age statement
The one I got is fantastic, and I'm really struggling to hold myself from getting another of these

I went to grab one of these recently because one of my locals had a "buy our Barrell store pick, get a bottle of our Eagle Rare store pick" deal after I saw you post this. This is amazing stuff. It is much closer to the green top rye than I expected; I don't know what Willett is doing with these barrels, but it is unique and awesome. Comes in at ~120 proof and 8 years old, just phenomenal; one of the best bourbons I've ever had. Tastes more like a rye than a bourbon to me.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 26, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Nimmy posted:

I went to grab one of these recently because one of my locals had a "buy our Barrell store pick, get a bottle of our Eagle Rare store pick" deal after I saw you post this. This is amazing stuff. It is much closer to the green top rye than I expected; I don't know what Willett is doing with these barrels, but it is unique and awesome. Comes in at ~120 proof and 8 years old, just phenomenal; one of the best bourbons I've ever had. Tastes more like a rye than a bourbon to me.

Yeah - the one I have is just so different than anything else I have while also being so familiar; I wound up getting another bottle because I know my open one is going to be gone fast
Mine is 7 years, 121 proof
It's like a cinnamon altoids candy that I just want to keep drinking

ADHD whiskey had one of these in his advent calendar this year and blind he also thought it was a rye
And he also rated the highest he's given to something that's not a unicorn or dusty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeXINKsi3oA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Quick public service announcement
Recent Barrell Single Barrel store picks with "distilled in Kentucky" on the label (6-8 years age stated) are Willett distillate and comparable to purple top Willett bourbon around the same age statement
The one I got is fantastic, and I'm really struggling to hold myself from getting another of these
I have access to 2 different ABCs in the DC area with different store picks, both $110. Does that sound reasonable?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I have access to 2 different ABCs in the DC area with different store picks, both $110. Does that sound reasonable?

That's a bit high (I've seen them around 85-100) but if you're able to taste it first and you like it then obviously go for it
I don't like recommending someone to spend over $100 without trying it first

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I got some Old Forester 1920 and Redbreast 12 for Christmas. :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm a simple man. I see store pick, I buy:

The Barrells were $105, the New Riff $50, and the MMs $65.

Now that I'm home, the MM on the left might not be that interesting. The Barrell Rye probably isn't a good value since the label says distilled in Indiana so probably MGP. Even the Barrell Bourbon has me wondering since the label says distilled in TN, KY, & IN. I'm thinking about returning them.

The store also had Angel's Envy Port Finished Bourbon for $50, Finished Rye for $90, and Highland Park 18 for $160. Any of those worth it? I think I tried the Angel's Envy bourbon when I was at Flatiron Room in NYC a few months ago. I didn't post about it (I did say the Glenfarclas 17 I had was an A+) probably because I didn't think it was that good. But Highland Park 12 is probably my favorite Scotch under $70.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 29, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have good things to say about Angel's Envy Rum cask finished. I've never had the port finish though. It was about $80 when I picked it up and I'd consider it almost worth the price. I'm not that experienced with Rye though - Scotch is more of my thing.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

Now that I'm home, the MM on the left might not be that interesting. The Barrell Rye probably isn't a good value since the label says distilled in Indiana so probably MGP. Even the Barrell Bourbon has me wondering since the label says distilled in TN, KY, & IN. I'm thinking about returning them.

The store also had Angel's Envy Port Finished Bourbon for $50, Finished Rye for $90, and Highland Park 18 for $160. Any of those worth it? I think I tried the Angel's Envy bourbon when I was at Flatiron Room in NYC a few months ago. I didn't post about it (I did say the Glenfarclas 17 I had was an A+) probably because I didn't think it was that good. But Highland Park 12 is probably my favorite Scotch under $70.

Angels envy rum finished rye is good, but like SUPER sweet. Like the most dessert whisky I’ve ever had. If you like sweeter stuff you might like it, but a lot of people are turned off by that.

I recently picked up an elijah Craig barrel proof single barrel store pick from my local shop. It’s like 8-9 years old, 133 proof, and really real good. Tons of cinnamon and great mouthfeel.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Found a bottle of Weller Special Reserve for what looked like a solid price so went for it. Good lord it’s delicious; it’s been a few years since I had any Weller and I forgot how caramel-vanilla it is. I happen to also have a Makers 101 open too so did a wheater comparison; no contest.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is what I settled on. In terms of initial impressions, the MM store pick is very similar to my MM Cask Strength with a sweeter finish. The Angel's Envy Finished Rye is the sweetest rye I've ever had. It's... okay. The Barrell packs a lot of heat but has a very interesting finish, almost like marshmallows. All in all I'm not super impressed but I need to spend more time with them.

Funny story about the MM stock prick I decided to keep, I actually returned the wrong one. When I went back about 30 min later, they didn't understand what happened and I was like "The one I returned is from Maryland, the one you want is from Virginia." I don't think it hit them until I showed that the one I returned (and they had reshelved) had been opened, as you see in the pic. I would never go to that ABC location if it wasn't the one with the largest inventory of the 3 near me. :sigh:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 29, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have found I really like Eagle Rare, more than some others as a good go to. I just cant find it in my area all the time.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
I went to my local big Texas liquor store chain and saw like 4 Bardstown Discovery Series 6 stacked back. I fought the urge to buy them out, but this is the first time I've seen them just sitting there in the wild at MSRP. This store also gives a cash/debit discount, so actually below MSRP. Should I go back and grab one to send to a friend? I feel like I probably should.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Nimmy posted:

I went to my local big Texas liquor store chain and saw like 4 Bardstown Discovery Series 6 stacked back. I fought the urge to buy them out, but this is the first time I've seen them just sitting there in the wild at MSRP. This store also gives a cash/debit discount, so actually below MSRP. Should I go back and grab one to send to a friend? I feel like I probably should.

if your friend wants it, yes of course

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

7-year cask strength MGP rye is probably about as good as you can hope for under the circumstances. Could be great.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Josh Lyman posted:

From what you say later, this seems like you did quite well. Personally, I think the Highland Park 18 is no better than the 12. Actually I'm starting to get quite disappointed by 18 year Scotches. The last few I've had (Highland Park, Balvenie, Talisker) haven't been better than their 12 (or 10 for Talisker) release. Different, sure, but I prefer the younger one on most of them. Glendronach has a great 18, but even for them, the 15 is quite incredible.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PSA: If you have Grand Reserve status at Total Wine, remember to enter their Pappy/BTAC raffle by tomorrow: https://www.totalwine.com/rare-whiskies-and-bourbons-grand-reserve