Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neeksy posted:

I think the text message solution could work, but at the same time that feels more of a Persona or Devil Survivor-feeling kind of solution, whereas SMT has a more apocalyptic, Things Aren't Normal kind of feeling.

Solution: have them text you some really weird dark thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

secretly best girl posted:

Rewards in an optional late-game quest (which can't be solved on non-NG+ runs)

The actual quest itself is just 3 easy maps that can be done on a first cycle.

The extra rewards for every map isn't a tracked quest, and that's the part that can't be all completed until NG+ (and even then it's only a very small number of maps that need NG+).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So thanks to my brother and a good sale at Gamestop, I picked up SMTV and Nocturne for only 15 dollars out of my own pocket. Hopefully this time I'll actually beat Nocturne, the first time I played it I fell out of it when you get to the block pushing minigame. Not that I didn't enjoy it, it was more a matter of me being bad at those kinds of games and going "I'll look up the solutions online later," and then never doing it. I do remember not liking the magatama system though.

I decided to start with SMTV first before I get into Nocturne. Since my only other real frame of reference is IV, not having gotten very far in Nocturne as I said, so far I'm just kinda lukewarm on it. Wondering what the deal was with the kingdom of Mikado was a cool start to IV, as well as hanging out with your amateur samurai buddies for a while before you got thrown into Tokyo. Here I don't even remember the other characters' names since you meet them for two minutes before waking up in Shifting Sand Land and fusing with a robot guy (at least I assume he's some kind of robot since he talks about how "my data is corrupted").

I haven't looked under any spoiler tags but it looks like a lot of people in this thread don't feel like the game sets up the other heroes well, which is a shame. As video-gamey and silly as it was, the part in IV where you're going through the tunnels and the voice is like "Would you break the law to save a person? Go left if yes, right if no" was really good at setting up Walter/Jonathan/Isabeau's beliefs and how they would eventually turn out by the end of the game.

Anyway I found a Slime that said that he'd worked hard at becoming a better conversationalist, but was disappointed nobody wanted to talk to him, which is a cute reference to how in the older games you couldn't negotiate with Foul demons, but now you can, and people familiar with the older games probably wouldn't have bothered to try. Other than that there's something about how the map is designed that's throwing me off. It's making me not really sure of where I can go or where things are, it just feels off in some way and so I can't ever really get a grasp of where I am or where I need to go. It also feels like the camera is too zoomed in on the MC which gives a really small field of vision which also doesn't help with figuring out where things are. At least the combat is fun and the demons have a ton of personality.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I hit a bit of a wall with the game (also wanted to finish book 9 of Expanse) and not sure what I should do for the second fight against Lahmu. He consistently rocks me and I'm thinking since I'm only level 34 I probably need to grind a bit and fuse better demons. Any tips on what I should do next so I don't end up wandering and getting nothing done?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Louisgod posted:

I hit a bit of a wall with the game (also wanted to finish book 9 of Expanse) and not sure what I should do for the second fight against Lahmu. He consistently rocks me and I'm thinking since I'm only level 34 I probably need to grind a bit and fuse better demons. Any tips on what I should do next so I don't end up wandering and getting nothing done?

I think I beat him around that level, what's your team?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That boss fight is like, the one time in the game when aoe moves are really good

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Louisgod posted:

The game changer for me was in getting some party-wide buffs/debuffs onto my demons.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Ninth Layer posted:

The game changer for me was in getting some party-wide buffs/debuffs onto my demons.

Ok, I’m slowly starting to get some full party buff/debuff magic though my demon roster is getting wiped out pretty quickly and at this point I have the demons you can generally fuse at level 34 or so. I can try to grind away a bit more.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Twelve by Pies posted:

It also feels like the camera is too zoomed in on the MC which gives a really small field of vision which also doesn't help with figuring out where things are. At least the combat is fun and the demons have a ton of personality.

Good news re: that. A recent update added a FOV slider for the game in the Options menu.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Ok, I’m slowly starting to get some full party buff/debuff magic though my demon roster is getting wiped out pretty quickly and at this point I have the demons you can generally fuse at level 34 or so. I can try to grind away a bit more.

You probably don't need to grind to get those skills. Check your essences, you probably have some party-wide buffs/debuffs there already, and check the move sets of demons you can fuse at your level. Defense up and attack down especially make surviving a lot easier and I found those skills to be a lot more effective than my attempts to damage-race the boss.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

Good news re: that. A recent update added a FOV slider for the game in the Options menu.

Oh, good, I'll have to check that out later. I'm taking a break right now since I think I was a little underleveled for Hydra, my demons are about three levels below it. Apsaras being weak to fire doesn't help either, which sucks since she's my strongest ice user. I might invest in those Fire Dampeners from the shop.

Speaking of Apsaras I was kind of surprised when I got to Leanan Sidhe and the option to take another quest popped up. Guessing that I'm getting alignment points behind the scenes and doing the Apsaras one gives you Law points and accepting Leanan Sidhe's instead gives you Chaos. I just went ahead and did the original quest though. Hopefully that doesn't lock me out of any fusions, though I guess I could always just get them on a NG+.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
being 3-5 levels below a boss isn't underleveled, it's the normal level curve. I recommend trying to come up with a solution that doesn't require leveling up--I think the game is at its most fun when you're at a bit of a level deficit.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah you hardly need to grind and match levels. You're given a lot of tools to beat bosses. Hydra is just hard because you don't have all of the tools available, but you do have dampeners.

Don't look at it so much as levels, since eventually you should almost be able to beat things 5-10 levels above you.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Dampeners are incredibly useful and they're dirt cheap, I've been keeping a full stock of every type at all times, just in case I hit a hard fight. Can easily be the difference between a relatively easy win and a total wipe. Especially since you can just bust them out when you see the enemy gathering magatsui.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh, good, I'll have to check that out later. I'm taking a break right now since I think I was a little underleveled for Hydra, my demons are about three levels below it. Apsaras being weak to fire doesn't help either, which sucks since she's my strongest ice user. I might invest in those Fire Dampeners from the shop.

Speaking of Apsaras I was kind of surprised when I got to Leanan Sidhe and the option to take another quest popped up. Guessing that I'm getting alignment points behind the scenes and doing the Apsaras one gives you Law points and accepting Leanan Sidhe's instead gives you Chaos. I just went ahead and did the original quest though. Hopefully that doesn't lock me out of any fusions, though I guess I could always just get them on a NG+.

I don’t think you get any fusions permanently locked out with the sets of competing quests. Doing the quest just means you get the person you sided with for free.

There is one late game quest where you have the option to kill or spare your opponent, I think you need to spare them to continue the quest line and get the fusions, and there’s no incentive for killing them.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm still enjoying my replay of Nocturne but oh boy do the "look at these queer manikins" jokes age poorly. They're not P4-5 bad, but still.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Neeksy posted:

I'm still enjoying my replay of Nocturne but oh boy do the "look at these queer manikins" jokes age poorly. They're not P4-5 bad, but still.

afaik the hd remaster tl removed that bit completely??

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I prefer grinding levels in SMTV, but the important detail is that it doesn't take very long to grind a few levels, and it's an excuse to snag a few mimans, relics, and subquests. BinoBro levels up at a decent clip and you can either grind up your demons into new ones or drop a few grimoires to catch them up quickly. There's also those eerie glowing statues that I think just promote every demon in your inventory to the next level. They're rare, but seem to be spaced out where you'll need a boost.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neeksy posted:

the recent HD rerelease completly changed those lines, fortunately

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I went back to Hydra without leveling but with some Fire Dampeners and it went well. Still rough but I made it through without losing anyone (though I came close). I'm kind of annoyed that there's an abscess I can't figure out how to get to, since it looks like that might be where the goal for the second Mermaid quest is, but it also looks like there's a Breath of the Wild dragon up there so maybe I shouldn't be trying to get there just yet. I've also seen a giant flying demon in an earlier area that I'm not sure how to reach, but I'm not particularly worried about that one.

One important question: is there a Miracle for the MC to be able to use incenses, or are they just unusable on him? I'm not planning on using them on any demons anytime soon since it's so early game and they're better saved for endgame demons (unless incense stat boosts carry over through fusions), but I wanted to know if I should be expecting to be able to use them on the MC or not.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 30, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you don't already have that miracle, you probably missed an abcess earlier

In fact, there's a second miracle to let you copy te type affinities of an essence onto nahobino which I definitely remember being before hydra, since daemon's resistances are very strong in that fight

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh poo poo, sorry, I meant incense. The stat boosting items.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No, there's specific, separate items for boosting nahobino's stats. Incenses are just for demons

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Booky posted:

afaik the hd remaster tl removed that bit completely??

I'm playing the PS2 Chronicles edition instead of the HD remaster so that explains it haha

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Not very far into the game yet (just beat Lahmu properly), quick question: can you get duplicates of the proto-fiend essences somehow? I'm a bit paranoid about keeping Nahobino skills even though I'm not really using some of them, just in case one of them is secretly real good and I can't get it back later.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 30, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Not very far into the game yet (just beat Lahmu properly), quick question: can you get duplicates of the proto-fiend essences somehow? I'm a bit paranoid about keeping Nahobino skills even though I'm not really using some of them, just in case one of them is secretly real good and I can't get it back later.

They appear as rare drops in the gathering points your demon navigator points out for you. There is also a late game area where they are relatively common drops. In other words possible to get them again but pretty rare and not something you can really rely on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Eventually, yes. I'm not sure if there's any skills that are secretly better than they seem; they all do pretty much what it says on the tin.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've kept aramasa the entire game so far. Any other must haves?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Murakamo, Aramasa falls off hard latter in the game

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was sweating during the Nuwa fight, not that I was having trouble with it because after my first defeat I came prepared, but as my SP started running out after I used all my chakra drops I was going "Wait did I not bring enough items?" But that's about the point where my party did the victory pose out of nowhere and I was like oh okay, whew. She did seem way too tanky for how much damage I was putting out.

Is there ever going to come a point where I'm going to want to get the Magatsuhi miracles or the element boost miracles? It just seems like they're a waste of glory compared to actively making my party members stronger and more versatile.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You'll be rolling in glory by the end if your getting at least a good chunk of miman

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was sweating during the Nuwa fight, not that I was having trouble with it because after my first defeat I came prepared, but as my SP started running out after I used all my chakra drops I was going "Wait did I not bring enough items?" But that's about the point where my party did the victory pose out of nowhere and I was like oh okay, whew. She did seem way too tanky for how much damage I was putting out.

Is there ever going to come a point where I'm going to want to get the Magatsuhi miracles or the element boost miracles? It just seems like they're a waste of glory compared to actively making my party members stronger and more versatile.

For the magatsuhi miracles, some are really good and can make long fights a lot smoother. Getting a boost when a demon dies or blocks an attack is really good.

By the end of my first playthrough, I had enough for every essentially miracle I wanted, including all of the combat magatsuhi skills. I missed out on some of the negotiation skills, as well as most of the element boosts, but that didn't matter when I was doing so much damage with physical and almighty attacks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You'll be rolling in glory by the end if your getting at least a good chunk of miman

I have about 40 mimans right now, and I didn't even get all the ones I could, which feels weird because that's like 20% of the mimans in the game and it's only the first area.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, getting to level 64 in the fourth area after doing all of the side-quests possible, but realizing that the mandated bosses are all level 71-72 is a painful realization

I honestly don't know why the fourth area has so many level gaps; even the demon fusion roster is starting to thin out a little

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MechaX posted:

I honestly don't know why the fourth area has so many level gaps; even the demon fusion roster is starting to thin out a little
Once you start whacking the bosses you'll be unlocking new swaths of the compendium. I'd been intentionally keeping up on fusing or recruiting everything that said "unregistered" for most of the game, but by the time the credits rolled I had like a dozen vacancies in the special fusions section alone.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
One thing I found helpful in the fourth area was to circle around to the bottom right area. There are some level 70 goons with pretty easily exploitable weaknesses around there. Things start evening out a lot after you get over the hump.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat Odin after a 30 minute battle using all my items and re-fusing and using loads of phys block and just being very impressive

I forgot to save

I died to a random encounter

I want to die

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m just gonna grind until I’m like 70 and can wreck these bosses gently caress it

Edit: I think it is ethically correct to bump it down to casual mode when you forget to save after a fight

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 31, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

V has a good outline for a decent story and character arcs, it just needed to expand on those ideas instead of forgetting about them for hours at a time. Like, literally anything more than what we got would have been better.

I've been brainstorming ways of how they could have fleshed out the human characters more without necessarily needing more cutscenes. What if periodically throughout the game, Yuzuru and Ichiro could send text messages to you, showing off their thoughts and side adventures when offscreen? TMS did it, why couldn't they do it here? Don't worry about the mechanics of cellular coverage in Da'at, it's magic demon technology. Or maybe Bethel could require its members to send in reports of what they encountered that day, and you could collect those reports. To me, these are all easy solutions to reveal more about the characters without having to do more cutscenes.

yup this. also every npc should talk direclty at the camera and explain what is happening once every 5 minute.s fruther more the demons should not talk anymore, we need more human drama and the gods and demons should be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stux posted:

yup this. also every npc should talk direclty at the camera and explain what is happening once every 5 minute.s fruther more the demons should not talk anymore, we need more human drama and the gods and demons should be removed.

welcome back stux