Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still don't understand why we needed The Kid at all in King's expanded The Stand. He did nothing of value at all other than some shock gore.

Well, now we know why it was cut in the first place. The Stand was the only one to get the "Uncut and unabridged" treatment after the original version was published, right? AFAIK, the original version really didn't lose anything, it was all filler that was added back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Randalor posted:

Well, now we know why it was cut in the first place. The Stand was the only one to get the "Uncut and unabridged" treatment after the original version was published, right? AFAIK, the original version really didn't lose anything, it was all filler that was added back in.

IIRC the ‘no great loss’ chapter was some of the cut material and it’s probably the best chapter in the book.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Eh, it was no great loss.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nah I liked that chapter, if only because it proves God is a super dick. We don't see (save a mention of the prison maybe) anyone on Flagg's team being killed or dying in such ways, but that was a good chapter.

I still don't get why it seems to be hard for The Stand films/miniseries to get a good Harold. He's not supposed to be Hollywood Homely.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Ikr? I pictured Harold looking like Jonah Hill as he was in Superbad but with a seriously visible mean streak.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Casting Parker Lewis in the '94 one was probably not the best casting choice, though they gave him like big nerd glasses.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Barry Foster posted:

That was from Monkey Dust.

Whoops. Yeah that makes more sense. Sorry.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
Harold's whole thing was that he was only ugly because he didn't take care of himself. in the second half of the book he has a whole big revelation about how none of the people in the Boulder Free Zone remember him as the pimply, fat, writer weirdo. they only see the hardworking, healthy, friendly young man he presents to them, because that's the only version of him they know.

he comes within a hairs' breadth of making a full heel face turn and allowing the facade to become the truth, but then Nadine hosed it all up for him

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Chloe Jessica posted:

Harold's whole thing was that he was only ugly because he didn't take care of himself. in the second half of the book he has a whole big revelation about how none of the people in the Boulder Free Zone remember him as the pimply, fat, writer weirdo. they only see the hardworking, healthy, friendly young man he presents to them, because that's the only version of him they know.

he comes within a hairs' breadth of making a full heel face turn and allowing the facade to become the truth, but then Nadine hosed it all up for him

Well yes but in the miniseries, he isn't a fat pimply weirdo.

But in the 2020 series, loving hell did they ruin the story and characters and the entire "let's do scenes out of order!" Flagg would not have had loving orgies and allowed drugs in his Vegas, the book and first series were pretty clear about the reasons why.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Casting Parker Lewis in the '94 one was probably not the best casting choice, though they gave him like big nerd glasses.

parker lewis can't lose

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's Always Sunny is a good example of a show that makes it's characters look worse with makeup a lot, especially the McPoyles.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Khizan posted:

IIRC the ‘no great loss’ chapter was some of the cut material and it’s probably the best chapter in the book.

It was cut. I have a copy of the original and unabridged versions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well yes but in the miniseries, he isn't a fat pimply weirdo.

But in the 2020 series, loving hell did they ruin the story and characters and the entire "let's do scenes out of order!" Flagg would not have had loving orgies and allowed drugs in his Vegas, the book and first series were pretty clear about the reasons why.

In the original miniseries he's played by a young Corin Nemec, so only the "fat" part doesn't apply.

I didn't watch the 2020 series, but Christ that sounds terrible. Flagg doesn't just not permit drugs in Vegas, in the book he literally crucifies people for using them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched both the 2020 series and the original back to back last year, not having read the book or seen the original prior. I ultimately liked the original version better. It's paced better, has more room to breathe. Putting scenes out of order in the new one didn't really seem to serve a purpose other than to generate shocking twists or revelations. Plus, I generally have a soft spot for that era of early 90s television. 90s Flagg was more menacing. After seeing the 90s one, I realized that two characters in the new one had been combined into one for the 90s one. I confirmed with a friend who read the book that it was the case. Combining those characters was a smart move.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 90s one also has Joe Bob Briggs for some reason. He is not an actor and you can tell.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Wasn't there already a pilot for a sitcom where the group was Al-Qaeda sleeper cell that was activated but really didn't want to do stuff because they liked living in the Western world, or a I thinking some MAD-TV skit?

Is it possible you're thinking of Sleeper Cell? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_Cell_(TV_series)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I caught part of the ‘Quagmire’s Dad’ episode of Family Guy last night.

Geez. Just...geez. That’s a looot of transphobia I really didn’t need to see.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Vandar posted:

I caught part of the ‘Quagmire’s Dad’ episode of Family Guy last night.

Geez. Just...geez. That’s a looot of transphobia I really didn’t need to see.
Yeah, the further back you go the more of a minefield it is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah, the further back you go the more of a minefield it is.

I love that Seth genuinely still thinks that's his 'apology' to trans people for all the other lovely jokes.

Also rewatching other stuff he did recently he's got...he's got a real hate-on for Asian people huh? Like, I think both Ted movies had a weird, completely out of nowhere, Asian caricature and it feels like there's a lot of Family Guy with that poo poo too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’ve tried a couple of times to tune back into Family Guy to see if maybe I’d misjudged it. Every single time it was like the show was going out of its way to reassure me that no, I’m not missing anything, it’s irredeemable trash. The last time, yeah, there was an honest-to-god buck-toothed, coolie-hat wearing Chinese stereotype staring out of the TV at me. I really hate that show.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I love that Seth genuinely still thinks that's his 'apology' to trans people for all the other lovely jokes.

Also rewatching other stuff he did recently he's got...he's got a real hate-on for Asian people huh? Like, I think both Ted movies had a weird, completely out of nowhere, Asian caricature and it feels like there's a lot of Family Guy with that poo poo too.

Edit: This was bad intel I was told and just uncritically accepted. Seth is actually just super-duper racist.

Old Post containing bad intel:

His wife is Chinese. It's .... not cool but he's basically specifically making fun of his inlaws which is a comedy tradition dating back to slightly after someone joked about a newlywed wife farting on her husband's lap but before scamming bronze was the new crypto hotness.

Vitruvian Manic has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Dec 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's kind of a weird thing. The wife in American Dad has adopted Asian parents who are stereotypically rude and overbearing, but they're also established as genuinely respecting Stan. (They just don't see that as a reason not to be rude and overbearing to him)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Seth's core audience is people whose sense of humor peaked in 7th grade and then stayed there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vitruvian Manic posted:

His wife is Chinese. It's .... not cool but he's basically specifically making fun of his inlaws which is a comedy tradition dating back to slightly after someone joked about a newlywed wife farting on her husband's lap but before scamming bronze was the new crypto hotness.

alright that genuinely does make it less weird at least. Like, still weird considering how often he goes to that well but at least he's poking fun at actual people and not just the concept of a Chinese person.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I assume Seth McFarlane is an unfunny South Park caricature of a Hollywood liberal except somehow real.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nahnatchka Khan (creator of Don’t Trust the B in Apt. 23 and some other things I guess) also was on the show staff so like it’s possible some of those jokes were of the “well it’s funny if you’re part of that community” variety, but in execution it comes off as lazy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Vitruvian Manic posted:

What on earth are you talking about :confused:

He has never been married and dates a bunch of young white women

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

alright that genuinely does make it less weird at least. Like, still weird considering how often he goes to that well but at least he's poking fun at actual people and not just the concept of a Chinese person.

I mean, that's a little too much credit. He's absolutely making fun of the concept of a Chinese person. He's a hammy showbiz guy who adores musical theater so he's going to take everything up to 11. Like, there are ways of making a "These people eat food different from what I am used to and it is intimidating" without being lazy and racist about it. Seth is not up to that task. That explains it, it doesn't excuse it.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

What on earth are you talking about :confused:

He has never been married and dates a bunch of young white women

I stand corrected. That is what I was told and it made sense to me given the level of anti-asian vitriol. If it isn't true, I'll happily retract the commentary. I don't really care enough about it to do things like verify it. My apologies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol wait what the gently caress googling it says he's single and every relationship he's had public looks like a generic hollywood white couple yea man dude just is racist as poo poo

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I have edited the post. I was working off of bad intel I had uncritically accepted. My apologies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mark wahlberg is married to a vietnamese woman, I'll have you know

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rush Limbaugh appeared a couple times and was pushed outside the show as a "Look at how two people on opposite political sides can be friends" thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rush even got his own song and dance number! :negative:

https://youtu.be/N6pv0_eK960

Vandar has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Dec 29, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Even so, it would actually be worse to racially caricature your own in laws on your highly popular cartoon show

He is a white man who made a show satirising black family sitcoms (I think I'm not going to actually look up or learn anything about the Cleveland show)

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vandar posted:

Rush even got his own song and dance number! :negative

https://youtu.be/N6pv0_eK960

:eyepop:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Even so, it would actually be worse to racially caricature your own in laws on your highly popular cartoon show

He is a white man who made a show satirising black family sitcoms (I think I'm not going to actually look up or learn anything about the Cleveland show)

I’m not sure it’s fair to hold anything in the Cleveland Show against him, because in order to do so you would have to watch or read about it. Much better for society to just forget the whole thing imo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

McFarlane shows are always referencing poo poo from the absolute worst era of TV

like, there's nothing even charming about how terrible TV was in the 70s and 80s

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you can take The Match Game from me when you can pry it from my cold dead hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alaois posted:

mark wahlberg is married to a vietnamese woman, I'll have you know
That's nothing, Liam Neeson is married to a black man.