Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool, the main plot was fun but in my game the larger universe was totally dead lol, the economy wasn't working at all, more than usual for X3.

It's really hard to go back now lol

Yeah I made the mistake of playing some Mayhem 3 after X3FL and the quality of life differences plus the X4-style simulated economy just leaves the older games like that in the dust. Being able to wipe out a Xenon sector or disable an enemy's actual supply lines goes a long way to making the empire you're building feel real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow this modified game start thign is nice, even just starting with 500k and all sectors discovered is so nice, saves some of the new start grind.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

queeb posted:

wow this modified game start thign is nice, even just starting with 500k and all sectors discovered is so nice, saves some of the new start grind.

Starting without a large portion of the map revealed always drove me nuts. Like do they not have a map? Or space internet to download a map? Like xenon sectors, sure makes sense but why do I start only knowing a couple at most? Like I can download a map of anywhere on earth as fast as I can think of it. Even if countries that don’t particularly like Americans. I should have at the very least my home race and it’s buddies map revealed.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah it's weird too that you need satellites to get a stations deals, like wouldn't they a) broadcast their location and b) want everyone to have offers? I feel like you could remove that whole aspect and still have a fun game with less micro at the start. Obviously drug stations or whatever could be masked.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it kinda tracks that in the libertarian hellscape of the X4 series, any free maps to common services would be immediately locked behind ransomware, which is impossible to remove without violating the NAP and also a contract you tacitly consented to by failing to find it before your maps got jacked. Paying it off might cost more than you can afford, but on the plus side you can hire some mercenaries at any station to kill the guy who did it and/or anyone else you feel like

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was thinking about how Farnham's Legacy/Rebirth/X4 all have different "universes" because of how the jump gates shifted and I wonder how well a game would work out where you have multiple different universes at once, with their own economies and factions, that either barely or never connect, except for the player which can shift between them, and the Xenon, who it's implied slowboat it and just spread forever because they really only need raw resources. Maybe have other npc companies that can do so as well for competition, and the player can slowly start to rehook them up.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 28, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

either the disparate economies would all be reasonably self-sufficient at which point it's basically any other space trader game except you call it "changing universes" every time you hop a few systems, or they wouldn't in which case they will never function without the player's personal input and it takes 100 hours of personally ferrying goods to the ore mine, fish factory, and hullplate depot to be able to buy one fighter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is rude to call the boron high tech fab "the fish factory"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Impossible to be rude to a boron imo

Unrelated: Is there any mod floating around to say "Hey dumbasses can you prioritize the capital ships over the defense drones tia"

Having plasma turrets set to capships seems to work most of the time, but it's always great to tab over to see a defense fleet chasing after a cloud of tiny fighters while they're getting their rear end kicked in by some Is skirting around the outside

I guess I could counter by making sure every defense point has perpetually stocked fighters 100% of the time but I can't automate that so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently there is an anti-travel-drive system in the game and it's called "the EMP missile"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7MQKANvEk

Good shout whoever posted this channel btw it's very good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I posted about the lack of disruptor missiles before, and shortly thereafter found them - but forgot to post about it.

The disruptor missile is supposed to be for chewing through shields so that you can switch to dakka in order to do hull damage, but unfortunately the AI in the game is terminally bad at shield conservation (probably because shield and boost use the same energy type), so it ends up being basically pointless to carry them.

I'll reiterate what I said then: X4 really needs energy distribution like the previous X games had, and it also needs a concept of missile racks vs internal missile cargo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It continues to be weird to me that they made modular sections for ships but you can only put a few things in each, you would think that you could swap out weapons, engines, and surface mount objects for different things. Like a sensor antenna instead of a gun, or a cargo pod, or auxiliary engine nacelles instead of shield generators etc.

You could as you say even bring back the energy system and have different options to distribute it to guns or shields or to generate more in exchange for giving up some slots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

It continues to be weird to me that they made modular sections for ships but you can only put a few things in each, you would think that you could swap out weapons, engines, and surface mount objects for different things. Like a sensor antenna instead of a gun, or a cargo pod, or auxiliary engine nacelles instead of shield generators etc.

You could as you say even bring back the energy system and have different options to distribute it to guns or shields or to generate more in exchange for giving up some slots.

I hate how there's a single general hangar design, it looks out of place more often than not and while not really responsible for doing away with things like smaller carriers with just a formation of fighters, didn't really help it either

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All these things are down to Egosoft being super loving small and not being able to do anything more than supplying a basic framework for the game. I’d love more interiors, and all these cool systems further expanded, but the playerbase is juuuust a bit too small and the game code too complex to sustain a community-driven feature development, like back in x2&3 days.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So I just discovered that at some point in my playthroughs, I've managed to unlock every single timeline entry - and while listening to them I noticed that they elude to the fact that there are thousands of jumpgates.

Give us all those thousands of systems, Egosoft you cowards!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If I remember correctly Egosoft could at any point they wish introduce pretty much whatever they want by writing "and then some jumpgates came back to life and pointed at [insert whatever they want here]".

Egosoft has shows a lot of restraint by sticking to a known cast…

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't know how much the optimization helped with the latest patch. It previously the 100~ systems we have with both dlcs brought the game near it's breaking point.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

If I remember correctly Egosoft could at any point they wish introduce pretty much whatever they want by writing "and then some jumpgates came back to life and pointed at [insert whatever they want here]".

Egosoft has shows a lot of restraint by sticking to a known cast…
Have you read the X Encyclopedia? Because there's Keepers, Sohnen, The Ancients, and The Won, Outsiders and a bunch more things which I doubt we'll ever actually see - but there's plenty of existing lore reasons for doing anything they want, without handwaving (well, more than they already have).

EDIT: I even forgot the Wenendra and the Free State of Solara, which are supposedly co-existing in the present-time of the X4 games.

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't know how much the optimization helped with the latest patch. It previously the 100~ systems we have with both dlcs brought the game near it's breaking point.
Yeah, I realize that the game would grind to an absolute halt if they were to even double the number of systems, but drat it I wish X4 was bigger than it is.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 29, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I assume the answer is no but are the novels actually worth reading at all, even in a "oh neat the games were based on this" context?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Have you read the X Encyclopedia? Because there's Keepers, Sohnen, The Ancients, and The Won, Outsiders and a bunch more things which I doubt we'll ever actually see - but there's plenty of existing lore reasons for doing anything they want, without handwaving (well, more than they already have).

EDIT: I even forgot the Wenendra and the Free State of Solara, which are supposedly co-existing in the present-time of the X4 games.

Yeah, I realize that the game would grind to an absolute halt if they were to even double the number of systems, but drat it I wish X4 was bigger than it is.

If you don't mind mods, there's several that extend the available sectors. My game is still perfectly functional with a bunch of extra systems, although not all of them are populated since I added them late-game and dropped admin buildings in most of the immediately-adjacent-to-civilized-space ones.

FrickenMoron posted:

tbh it's noticably better on my machine in most situations

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Can you play the star wears mod fully like normal x4? Like station building, all that jazz?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

queeb posted:

Can you play the star wears mod fully like normal x4? Like station building, all that jazz?

Don’t you mean… jizz??

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Don’t you mean… jizz??

Who doesn't like a good jizz-wailer.

queeb posted:

Yes. But all stations are vanilla looking, not sure if/when they plan to re-model them as they're still just adding more ships with each major release.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
last time i looked at their release timeline they didnt have anything station-wise planned for a long time if ever

to be honest, it's not really necessary. technically there is an executor in the files you can spawn and (though its not finished yet and can only be spawned) its the size of two normal stations, so not a lot of room to go like, towards a death star type thing if thats what you're getting at.

they seem to be happy with the x4 stations and to be honest apart from the kha'ak which present some issues because of geometry, stuff works pretty well so I don't blame them. and the kha'ak stations are a pain in the rear end for the AI in vanilla anyway.

oh, just reread and now lol because that wasn't the question. oh well, have a post anyway.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the wiki shows the next major update will be a new map/stations, so i imagine theyre working on it now but its a long way off.

theres a tentative layout video for the new map as well on their discord

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 29, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there one or two expansions left, in addition to whatever number of patches they're going to be putting out?

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is there one or two expansions left, in addition to whatever number of patches they're going to be putting out?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701060/X4_Tides_of_Avarice/
Ego has a long tradition of supporting their games for what seems an eternity. Safe to say they will keep tuning the game for years to come. If it will ever be in a place we want it to be is another question....I have completely stopped playing a few times because they IMHO mess up the game balance. I still return, enjoy the game for a while, buy the next xpac, be disappointed, bitch and moan and continue the circle anew. Game is still worth every penny.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

madfury posted:

Ego has a long tradition of supporting their games for what seems an eternity.

We'll be knee deep in X6 only to suddenly hear the news 'We've decided to release another X4 expansion'

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The new map will be the next big Star Wars update. As far as playability everything main quest wise does not work other than the player HQ missions. The quests you get when you jump into a system and accept off the mission offer tab all function. The economy is heavily tuned to work with the new ships, you can build stations, claim systems, and all that stuff. The AI will also produce ships and stations just fine. So as long as you’re OK with a purely sandbox (ie no quests lines) mode the game is totally playable.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was enjoying the star wars mod but ive barely touched the base game so i went back to that, lots of questlines and stuff to do!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried to get to combat rank 30 finally in my last game but after destroying the entire PAR faction (killing around 200 capital ships, 2000+ station modules and roughly 1500 small craft) I'm only 33% there so I gave up on that.
Nobody got those achievements legitimately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mokotow posted:

All these things are down to Egosoft being super loving small and not being able to do anything more than supplying a basic framework for the game. I’d love more interiors, and all these cool systems further expanded, but the playerbase is juuuust a bit too small and the game code too complex to sustain a community-driven feature development, like back in x2&3 days.

But that's the thing they went to all the effort to make the framework but then never went the extra little step to really utilize it, surely it must have been much harder to make a fully realised module system than it would be make a couple of different types of thing to put in it rather than "shield" "shield but more gooder" etc.

That's the same criticism I had with Rebirth, they built all these loving systems and then never used them, X4 does use them a lot better but it still seems like they could really beef out the game a lot by expanding the stuff they already have. I would absolutely enjoy more and different types of industry, modules, and options for poo poo to glue onto my ships.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 31, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

I tried to get to combat rank 30 finally in my last game but after destroying the entire PAR faction (killing around 200 capital ships, 2000+ station modules and roughly 1500 small craft) I'm only 33% there so I gave up on that.
Nobody got those achievements legitimately.

I think they must've made it (somewhat) easier in one of the more recent major updates, at least. CoH maybe? Since a minute or two after I started up my save from pre-CoH, I was bumped up from maybe level ~10 to level 19 - receiving the 'colonel' achievement.
So if you still have that save, maybe try loading it up in the current version and see if your rating is boosted?

EDIT: Also, let me just point out that you're a monster for wiping out PAR and not HOP. :colbert:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 31, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The paranid aren't at war with everybody, thus they make much worse trading partners as they need fewer ships replaced :v:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

xenon decided that nobody can go through tharkas in my game i just started

gotta take the long way around to ZYA space

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Major Isoor posted:

I think they must've made it (somewhat) easier in one of the more recent major updates, at least. CoH maybe? Since a minute or two after I started up my save from pre-CoH, I was bumped up from maybe level ~10 to level 19 - receiving the 'colonel' achievement.
So if you still have that save, maybe try loading it up in the current version and see if your rating is boosted?

EDIT: Also, let me just point out that you're a monster for wiping out PAR and not HOP. :colbert:

It's a log curve and I'm at rank 28 of 30. Yes the final 2 ranks are 66% of the total points.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly it's weird that apparently everyone wants to just sail through the tharka's cascade gate, really I think normal traffic should be far more reluctant to do that and also the xenon should be better at stopping them.

Also the xenon gate should not be located next to the highway but that's another argument.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i mean thats when you start asking questions like 'why is there a highway that goes entirely through HOP space that permits extremely easy access both in and out in the middle of a vicious ideological war'

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i mean thats when you start asking questions like 'why is there a highway that goes entirely through HOP space that permits extremely easy access both in and out in the middle of a vicious ideological war'

To be fair, the highway technically predates the vicious ideological war, although with how frequently "just destroy the gate 4head" has been used as a tactic from an in-universe perspective you'd think someone would at least broach the subject

also this is one of the few games where the answer can unironically arguably be answered with "a capricious higher intelligence loving with everyone for shits and giggles, or that at least has ineffable motivations and reasoning for doing things so it looks like the same thing to an outside observer"

OwlFancier posted:

Frankly it's weird that apparently everyone wants to just sail through the tharka's cascade gate, really I think normal traffic should be far more reluctant to do that and also the xenon should be better at stopping them.

Also the xenon gate should not be located next to the highway but that's another argument.

the Xenon pay the highway maintenance taxes and use the highway all the time too, so fair's fair :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the Xenon pay the highway maintenance taxes and use the highway all the time too, so fair's fair :colbert:

counterpoint: i've never seen anyone maintaining the highways anywhere and in fact you can shoot out the ad signs and nobody even replaces them.

WHAT ARE THE XENON PAYING FOR THEN? :tinfoil: