Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Professor Beetus posted:

Love to get slightly different perspectives in here, and a little comparing/contrasting would be nice to read from someone with multiple, yeah.

Cool thanks boss.

Late February 2020 California. My ex's 31 year old best friend Jane is in ICU with pneumonia, induced coma and vented. She's on vent a long time but I can't remember the specifics, except in March the hospital is saying "It's not COVID". It wasn't until May or June that she was informed that it was COVID (I'm not sure how, probably a measure of antibodies later?), but that was the official diagnosis much later. She still has trouble walking, and I think she's diagnosed with brain damage. At least she regained her taste. Her relationship fell apart because she had to go live with her mother in the central valley while her boyfriend barely treads water on minimum wage in a share house. The state doesn't provide enough money or care for her to stay in the big city with him. So ended 10 year era for Jane, now back where she started in worse health and no lover.

In late February I remember getting a fever, achey, and being extremely tired for a day, but instead of it developing into snot/sore throat like my colds always do it went away very quickly. Never got tested for antibodies because you know, scared of leaving my apartment and dying because I'm a fat computer toucher alcoholic that could work from home.

So COVID March 2020 kicks off and my employer tells us we're 100% remote working now. I was already giving all workers laptops, split tunnel VPN always on, enterprise Zoom, metro area so fellow workers all had decent broadband internet, we actually did really well my work life didn't suddenly become harder. It actually became a lot easier, more productive, and I got so much more time back not having to commute in a big California city. Rent was going down as fellow computer touchers and techies left the city for elsewhere. I could get groceries delivered. If I didn't read real news sources and SA I might have been almost happy...but

My fellow American workers in other jobs though were absolutely fed into a meatgrinder of fear, depression and death. The governments in the USA seemed to do nothing. It seemed like after the initial month or two of lockdown, the powerful decided they could open it all up and let the virus take its course. I remember reading about some American states not being able to run their unemployment/dole systems, unemployed workers unable to call and state websites erroring out. So months with no assistance, hungry. Charity food pantries and kitchens with lines around the block. The tents lining the streets of my neighborhood grew in number. There are SO many homeless people. Literal shanty towns have appeared, too. Corrugated iron and tents attached to scrap wood structures.

Australia closed it's borders and seemed to be doing covid zero really well. My family were really scared for me, we 'Zoomed' but their lives were basically exactly the same until Victoria Melbourne had its first wild-type outbreak. Then after a short lockdown even Melbourne was back to normal except my cousins couldn't fly to Bali to haggle over a $2 watch, OMG did they suffer.

During Australia's first lockdown the governments implemented 'Jobkeeper' (As opposed to Jobseeker which is their branding for unemployment welfare), pumping money into businesses and workers to keep them afloat. Extra money for workers to pay their rent and buy food. But I recently learned that governments funneling millions into corporations that don't need it, a redistribution of tax money back to Capital, isn't only an American thing, it happened in Australia too. But overall it seemed that the Australian feds and state governments did a better job supporting workers vs. say California/NY. That was my impression from afar and through my mums calls.

Where I lived in California there is still no city or state run check-in for tracking system. I don't recall even hearing about an opt-in 'report it and let us know' system, though I've never tested positive on PCR tests to perhaps be brought into such a tracking system. Pretty sure it just doesn't exist. But in Australia they have QR codes that you scan, everywhere. The state notifies you of a close contact with someone that is positive, so you quickly know to isolate and get a test. Contact tracing seemed like it was really good in Australia, comparatively.

Then this happened earlier this month:

On the news today according to mum NSW is abandoning contact tracing.

Australia started opening 'er up just as Omicron hit, and didn't re-implement any NPIs while cases started exploding. It seems like the governments just collectively gambled, and didn't want to reverse anything for political reasons just as Australians were heading into their 2nd 'normal' COVID Christmas. My dreams of a zero covid vacation in Australia were dashed a long time ago, but my runner-up dream of a properly managed pandemic vacation was just dashed last week. Now my dream of a properly run healthcare system vacation is possibly going to be destroyed, too. Too early to tell I guess, but I feel for the Aussie healthcare workers, their governments have just completely screwed them.

Specifics of getting into Australia follow.

Prior to widespread vaccination and 'open-er-up' in Australia, aka zero covid .au era, citizens and permanent residents were allowed to enter. Australian states set up hotels (now very empty since tourism was not happening) with COVID floors where returning people had to quarantine for 14 days. Some hotels were better about feeding their guests, but I did see some horror stories of rotten fruit and airplane-quality sandwiches. All this costing the returning person thousands of dollars, it wasn't free.

Getting into Australia was still not easy though. Getting on a flight without being bumped off was luck of the draw or extremely expensive. This was because the quarantine hotels might be full and telling the airlines there was nowhere for the passengers to go, so the airlines would bump off the cheaper economy passengers and keep the business+ passengers only for the few spots in quarantine. The Australian feds hadn't bothered to build more space for returning Australians. So families with kids, people that couldn't afford business class, they kept getting bumped off flights. And economy wasn't cheap, either.

Once Australia hit vaccination targets Victoria and NSW reduced 14 days mandatory quarantine for all returning residents and citizens. I was able to fly into NSW and stay in what they call "Isolation" for 3 days, provided I had a < 72 hour neg PCR in the USA, proof of vaccination, another neg PCR within 24 hours of arriving and promised to get one last PCR on day 6. Isolation could happen at home or in a hotel, I opted for a hotel and stayed 7 days because obviously such a policy is not based on the science of the time. All tests in Australia have been free so far, despite me not being a resident any more and therefor not being part of their Medicare universal healthcare system. Wait times were long, first one took an hour, second test we waited 3 hours, and this morning we found out some people just slept outside the testing clinic overnight, after being turned away at 7:30am the prior day because the line was already too long/all day. I think it's a combination of post Christmas testing but also interstate travel requirements for Queensland.

Here's a flyer that I was handed as I arrived in Sydney:

In California I paid $90USD for a < 24hour turnaround PCR. This was a drive-through near the international airport. Booking was a 15min appointment window. I didn't wait, just drove right in. < 2hour test was $140USD. Self-administered, blow-nose-into-tissue-then-swab. Shhh don't tell the Australian feds it was self-administered >_>

I really enjoyed waiting in the international terminal because I'd find an isolated spot to sit and someone would waltz over, sit down close by < 10 feet away then take off their mask to eat. I went through this 3 times, moving to a new seat further away each time. I don't know why those people were coming near me, the terminal was much emptier than pre-covid times. Cloth masks as far as the eye can see. On the flight itself mask compliance was generally pretty good. My fellow passengers nearby wore theirs when asleep, pleasantly surprised.

So now I wait and see what happens to the Australian hospitals. My family is harping on about 'less severe omicron' but at this rate it seems like even this so called mild covid is going to overwhelm. I spent last Christmas alone because I couldn't travel to my ex's as southern california's hospitals nearly collapsed, so I couldn't risk getting ill or injured in other ways and that was absolutely my lowest point. My plans to travel in what seemed like a much better country are possibly heading this way too. At least I got to see mum one more time.

Sorry I'm not a writer, please ask me specific questions but maybe some of this was interesting. Perhaps if just for the flyer.

edit: new page sassy floofy cat tax.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slow News Day posted:

I found out an hour ago that my best friend has been hospitalized due to covid. Her boss fully bought into the "omicron is mild" stuff, and made her come to work because she was initially just sneezing and had a headache. Her situation deteriorated very quickly after that apparently, and by the time she got home she was feeling short of breath and they rusher her to the hospital. Her mom said she got her booster a few days ago, but I guess it hadn't kicked in yet.

poo poo is hosed. God drat this pandemic.

I'm really sorry to hear that. One of the few things I hoped would stick after Covid was at least some resistance to the idea that one should tough it out and come to work sick, but that seems hopelessly naive looking back on it. Echoing EHF and wishing her a speedy recovery.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That Fauci statement is uh...quite something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CalvinandHobbes posted:

This is absolutely my take as well. You can do all sorts of "models" where N95s will prevent aerosols or smoke transfer better than surgical masks, but epidemiologic studies on infection prevention with masking so no meaningful difference.
Medical grade surgical masks (which are fluid impervious and therefore don't get saturated with vapor from breath and lose filtration efficiency) and absolutely fine for source control and protection.

Barycka K, Szarpak L, Filipiak KJ, et al. Comparative effectiveness of N95 respirators and surgical/face masks in preventing airborne infections in the era of SARS-CoV2 pandemic: A meta-analysis of randomized trials. PLoS One. 2020;15(12):e0242901.

That meta‐analysis is junk.

Look at the Radonovich study that is so heavily weighted.

quote:

Participants were instructed to wear their assigned protective devices (ie, N95 respirators or medical masks) during the 12-week period (the intervention period) during which the incidence of viral respiratory illness and infections was expected to be highest that year, as predicted by the ALERT algorithm20 developed for this trial. Participants were instructed to put on a new device whenever they were positioned within 6 feet (1.83 m) of patients with suspected or confirmed respiratory illness.

They were using N95 respirators incorrectly. They should be worn continuously, not merely when stepping within six feet of the patient.

Radonovich’s work is akin to “proving” that parachutes don’t work by opening them six feet from the ground.

The 2013 MacIntyre study actually found this directly.

quote:

Participants were randomized by ward to three arms: (1) medical masks at all times on shift; (2) N95 respirators at all times on shift; and (3) targeted (intermittent) use of N95 respirators only while doing high-risk procedures or barrier. The targeted N95 arm was studied because policies in many countries advocate the use of N95 respirators only when the HCW is in a high-risk situation, such as barrier nursing of a patient with known respiratory illness or when conducting aerosol-generating procedures.
[quote]Conclusions: Continuous use of N95 respirators was more efficacious against CRI than intermittent use of N95 or medical masks. Most policies for HCWs recommend use of medical masks alone or targeted N95 respirator use. Continuous use of N95s resulted in significantly lower rates of bacterial colonization, a novel finding that points to more research on the clinical significance of bacterial infection in symptomatic HCWs. This study provides further data to inform occupational policy options for HCWs.

Side note, even if targeted use deserved serious consideration, it’s not valid to pool studies of targeted use with studies of continuous use. Those are different interventions.

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are people in here saying Omicron isn't milder when heaps of credible scentists and experts are saying the opposite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/28/omicron-is-not-the-same-disease-as-earlier-covid-waves-says-uk-scientist

Obviously infection rates are bad, but there seems to be a denial in this thread of the core fact that is Omicron itself is less severe. I dunno why.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bearinabox posted:

Why are people in here saying Omicron isn't milder when heaps of credible scentists and experts are saying the opposite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/28/omicron-is-not-the-same-disease-as-earlier-covid-waves-says-uk-scientist

Obviously infection rates are bad, but there seems to be a denial in this thread of the core fact that is Omicron itself is less severe. I dunno why.

“appears to be less severe and many people spend a relatively short time in hospital”.

Oh is that all? It just “appears” less severe and people get a nice short stay at the hospital.

Covid is over I guess?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bearinabox posted:

Probably because there isn't anything credible enough to say one way or the other regardless of anyone's preferred outcome/narrative

Like we're still waiting for proper analysis of data out of the first places hit, a lot of the anger isn't because of this but because governments are forcing people back to in person poo poo while everything is still totally uncertain. Meanwhile, all of the people who have been wrong about everything my entire life are saying this is mild. Will this be the first time they are right? Maybe, but it doesn't change anything for grunts and now-former WFH people

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bearinabox posted:

I'm neither a doctor nor a smart person, but what I'm getting is that the argument is: omicron showed up so late that between vaccinations and naturally-obtained antibodies, it's hitting a much less naive population than previous variants.

Seems like after attempting to correct for that, some sources are asserting that this is more of the same and we shouldn't be too cavalier about it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

People are also mistaking "milder" with "mild".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can tell you about moving from Western Australia to New Jersey before the pandemic: I did not foresee the specific reason why that would be regrettable.

On that note: hospitalizations are increasing rather dramatically in NJ. Whether deaths follow suit remains to be seen. But even if an ICU crush is avoided by omicron being milder (than delta) and patients being discharged faster, it's still not exactly thrilling news to have an incredibly infectious variant. I did see articles suggesting that:

- it's unclear whether omicron is inherently milder or whether vaccines are preventing serious illness (some speculation that it's at least as bad as wildtype in unvaccinated)
- it may give immunity to delta and push it out entirely, but it's too early to tell. If omicron runs it's course in South Africa, couldn't delta re-emerge? I suppose it depends on what fraction of the unvaccinated population gets natural immunity.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

People are also mistaking "milder" with "mild".

"Mild ranch, or milder ranch?"

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Bearinabox posted:

Not only is it less severe, omicron seems to provide immunity to delta (and possibly other covid variants as well). Biden and Fauci should be honest with people that the goal at this point is to get as much omicron herd immunity spread while not overwhelming the hospital system, since that is clearly what shortening the quarantine, playing stingy with tests, and their current messaging is intended to do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mild in a medical sense means you're in the hospital but don't need oxygen not just the sniffles

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Not only is it less severe, omicron seems to provide immunity to delta (and possibly other covid variants as well). Biden and Fauci should be honest with people that the goal at this point is to get as much omicron herd immunity spread while not overwhelming the hospital system, since that is clearly what shortening the quarantine, playing stingy with tests, and their current messaging is intended to do.

The medical system is already overwhelmed

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

That would be a death sentence to everyone who is immune compromised.

It would also be enacting a policy Trump suggested in 2020.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also even if omicron is milder, it doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Encouraging everyone in the country to just catch the disease seems like a great way to get a dozen new variants, some of which could be much worse or even just a little worse.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Google Butt posted:

Which is - tellingly and correctly - why Biden has sent national FEMA and military assistance to the hospital system. The death rate for omicron is less severe than that for previous variants and finally, actually, less than the flu (as the common right-wing refrain has been throughout this disaster). Of course, it is still bad if everyone in the country gets the flu at once, which is why the CDC and Biden admin are still encouraging mask wearing, social distancing, and vaccination despite the ultimate goal of infecting 70 to 80 percent of the population.

KittyEmpress posted:

Also even if omicron is milder, it doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Encouraging everyone in the country to just catch the disease seems like a great way to get a dozen new variants, some of which could be much worse or even just a little worse.

There is no other way out of this, unfortunately. And the tendency over time will be for greater infectiousness and lower lethality, as we've seen.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

this is a very bad plan

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AndrewMakeTweet/status/1475931315115466752

uh, sorry to ask this thread to source check for me, but is this guy remotely credible?

i am 100% cynical about the cdc's actions and this feels too out there even for me

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 29, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Magic Underwear posted:

So, a preprint, funded by patients who self selected, who self reported their symptoms, everything from shrinking penis to complete blindness in a 205 symptom gumbo. How is anyone supposed to take this seriously? By the way the top three are 1. I'm tired 2. I get tired after exerting myself (because most people don't get tired after exertion I guess) 3. I think my brain doesn't work as well as it used to.

"Long Covid" has drawn a lot of what conservatives wish climate change was: fat wads of hysteria pushed by people who would like to control the lives of others.

That said, "booster now for a bigger cock later" would do a lot for solving the problem!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewMakeTweet/status/1475931315115466752

uh, sorry to ask this thread to source check for me, but is this guy remotely credible?

i am 100% cynical about the cdc's actions and this feels too out there even for me

It communicates zero new information other than an anonymously sourced "CDC staff" who somehow believes they should know of national guidance changes in advance.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

There is no other way out of this, unfortunately. And the tendency over time will be for greater infectiousness and lower lethality, as we've seen.

Can I quote you if it becomes far more lethal?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It communicates zero new information other than an anonymously sourced "CDC staff" who somehow believes they should know of national guidance changes in advance.

again, i cannot comment on the credibility of the source, but taken at face value, personnel being asked to scientifically justify a decision only after the fact seems pretty loving sketch to me

slorb
May 14, 2002

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The death rate for omicron is less severe than that for previous variants and finally, actually, less than the flu (as the common right-wing refrain has been throughout this disaster).

What the gently caress are you talking about.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ranter posted:

USA to Australia journey

This was interesting, thanks. A clarification I'd make is that NSW did indeed backflip on NPIs and reintroduce indoor masking and QR check-ins the other day, Victoria never repealed them to begin with, and the other states immediately introduced them as they opened their borders and started getting cases over the past few weeks.

I agree that it feels like the "reopening" plans (whether that was exiting lockdown, or opening borders and thus exiting zero-COVID) were set in stone before Omicron emerged and the premiers are now stuck with them from a combination of not wanting to back down on a political level, but also knowing on a practical level they can't, really, once it has its hooks in the community. But I'd feel more comfortable if Victoria still had pub/restaurant capacity limitations, indoor gyms were still closed and we were still urging people to WFH where possible.

Without knowing how much you've been out and about since exiting quarantine recently, what would you say are the differences in the average American's attitude to the virus to the average Australian's? Though even within Australia I think that varies wildly - I know a lot of Victorians dgaf anymore and are resigned to eventually catching it and just want their lives back, whereas most of the people I know back in WA still think it's as frightening as it was in March 2020.

Epic High Five posted:

Probably because there isn't anything credible enough to say one way or the other regardless of anyone's preferred outcome/narrative

When diverse groupings of scientists and health authorities in South Africa and Denmark and the UK and my own country are all in lockstep saying that it's overall less deadly and less likely to hospitalise a person than Delta, that's "credible" enough for me.

Google Butt posted:

Mild in a medical sense means you're in the hospital but don't need oxygen not just the sniffles

I've seen this narrative popping up a lot lately, to imply that all "mild" cases will still make you dangerously unwell, which is obviously not true. One in three cases were asymptomatic and only a small minority of cases needed hospitalisation even before we had vaccines, let alone now.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Oh then crisis averted. How do you know this?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1475947093550317575

TLDR: Seems like even counting for vaccinations, Omicron is causing less hospitilisations per case than Delta. People requiring ventiliation has hardly changed from the numbers pre-Omicron.

Unrelated, but the UK seems to have run out of all types of tests however, which is less good news.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

freebooter posted:

When diverse groupings of scientists and health authorities in South Africa and Denmark and the UK and my own country are all in lockstep saying that it's overall less deadly and less likely to hospitalise a person than Delta, that's "credible" enough for me.

It's not just observational studies either. The studies that it grows less well in human lung tissue and the studies showing infected model animals have less lung damage.

All the arguments against that at this point seem to be purely moral arguments. That it's not true because if you say it's true people's behavior will be wrong. As if it may be factually true but spiritually it's our duty to say it's not.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Google Butt posted:

Yeah uh, if theres one thing that needs to be stated, is that hte patients that arent covid are still higher acuity then they were before covid, its insane.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Biden sent 1000 guys across 50 states. That won't be enough to check exponential spread

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark - 29 December

This is the sound of Omicron taking off, with a Danish accent.
The website is slow today, possibly since everyone is looking to see how bad things are.

BEGIN HANDWAVING AND SPECULATION SECTION

I would say that it looks like there is a 7-day lag from "new cases" affecting the "new hospitalization" numbers, which obviously drive the ICU admissions.
If this is substantially correct, then the jump from the 8000-case-a-day level to 13,000-cases-a-day on the 20/21 December is resulting in the increase in hospitalization numbers on the 27/28. In which case we would see it stabilize for a few days, maybe even a small drop, but around the 3rd January I would expect it to be like 200, then maybe even 300 if the ratio holds on 5th January.

ICU cases? "more than now" but no idea.

END HANDWAVING AND SPECULATION SECTION

pre:
Denmark Covid Cases
------------------------------------
Dec 29 23,228 new cases, 1205 reinfections, 173 new hospitalizations (675 total), 77 ICU (+6), 52 Vent (+2), 16 dead
Dec 28 13,000 new cases,  670 reinfections, 177 new hospitalizations (666 total), 71 ICU (+1), 50 Vent (+4), 14 dead
Dec 27 16,164 new cases,  639 reinfections, 115 new hospitalizations (608 total), 70 ICU (-1), 46 Vent (-2), 7 dead
Dec 26 14,844 new cases,  644 reinfections, 123 new hospitalizations (579 total), 71 ICU (-2), 43 Vent (+1), 13 dead
Dec 25 10,027 new cases,  463 reinfections,  86 new hospitalizations (522 total), 73 ICU (-1), 44 Vent (+5), 10 dead
Dec 24 11,229 new cases,  527 reinfections, 134 new hospitalizations (509 total), 74 ICU (+2), 39 vent (+1), 14 dead
Dec 23 12,487 new cases,  613 reinfections, 158 new hospitalizations (541 total), 72 ICU (+6), 38 vent (+1), 15 dead
Dec 22 13,386 new cases,  531 reinfections, 126 new hospitalizations (524 total), 66 ICU (-1), 37 vent (+2), 14 dead 
Dec 21 13,558 new cases,  501 reinfections, 121 new hospitalizations (526 total), 67 ICU (+1), 35 vent (+2) , 17 dead
Dec 20 10,082 new cases, (no reinf. data),  85 new hospitalizations (581 total), 66 ICU (+3), 33 vent (-2), 8 dead
Dec 19 8,212
Dec 18 8,594
Dec 17 11,194
Dec 16 9,999
Dec 15 8,773
Since yesterday, rates per 100,000 population.

In a bad sign, the GIS board is hanging.

pre:
                                  Unvaccinated              Partial           Full                           Unvaccinated    Partial    Full
29 DEC    New cases:                     pending                                              Hospitalizations:              pending 
28 DEC    New cases:                     237.3                208.2          210.2    Hospitalizations:              40.5       16.9    8.6
27 DEC    New cases:                     304.4                324.9          263.3    Hospitalizations:              40.0       15.8    7.8
26 DEC    New cases:                     310.4                274.9          241.2    Hospitalizations:              39.0       15.4    7.3
25 DEC    New cases:                     181.6                162.1          161.5    Hospitalizations:              33.9       16.0    6.8
24 DEC    New cases:                     184.1                173.0          182.1    Hospitalizations:              34.5       14.9    7.1
23 DEC    New cases:                     237.1                202.6          197.9    Hospitalizations:              35.4       16.2    7.5
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5

Omicron percentage of variant tests jumped to 70-75% from 60% or so yesterday. A lot of PCR numbers take a few days to make their way to SSI so the numbers wobble and stop at 22 December

Report on PCR tests for Omicron as a percentage of variant tests hit various levels on various days:
pre:
1.77% on 1 December
4.8% on 6 December
10.17% on 8 December
22.06% on 12 December
37.97% on 14 December
50% on 17 December
60% on 20 December
70% on 21 December
76% on 22 December
79.31% on 23 December (only 29 tests though)
80% on 26 December

Sources:
https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1476183132844003337?s=20

So do Biden and Dems have blood on their hands now or does that narrative change when Dems “believe the science” are in charge?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 29, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You just deployed that feigl-ding post in the usnews thread too. Usually the tactic is to at least wait a bit and/or have someone else cross post it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

You just deployed that feigl-ding post in the usnews thread too. Usually the tactic is to at least wait a bit and/or have someone else cross post it.

Cool. Is this just your way of admitting your willingness to ignore the CDC admitting this change had nothing to do with science because you don’t like who posted it?

You could respond to the content instead.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I have a feigl-ding question:

Why the heck is he so extremely hyping the US military vaccine.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1473462641507119108

Like he will twist himself in knots trying to use the fakest screenshots to 'debunk" anything else he sees as good news, pushes all the fake news that vaccines barely work, spreads the "vaccines = human meraks" stuff, but then for some weird reason seems to have gone all in on the idea this specific vaccine is the real deal ultimate vaccine.

Like I don't even feel like the obvious conspiracy that the US military is manipulating him to hype it up sounds right.

Is it that it's unlikely to come out in some way? So he can gin up a narrative of "medicine THEY don't want you to have"?

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

When sources I don't like post factual information I don't like, I too like to don my "media analysis for idiots 101" cap and chide people for posting the source rather than addressing the substance of what has been posted.

This isn't a class. This is reality, let's go.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bad news, it's also a factual misrepresentation; Walensky's response is entirely about improving compliance rates; it turns out "people" means "people", not "business" or "capitalism".

But this is predictable, because you're deploying a tweet from feigl-ding across multiple threads with a one-line post that frames it in a misleading way.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Bad news, it's also a factual misrepresentation; Walensky's response is entirely about improving compliance rates; it turns out "people" means "people", not "business" or "capitalism".

But this is predictable, because you're deploying a tweet from feigl-ding across multiple threads with a one-line post that frames it in a misleading way.

So where is the science behind the change? Can you help point it out to me? This is the administration that said they would follow the science so I’m sure it is easy to find something dated prior to the decision made by the CDC.

Edit: this also sounds incredibly similar to MAGA folks when they went “that isn’t what the Trump admin said. What they meant was…”

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 29, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What they said was

"it really had a lot to do with what we thought people would be able to tolerate. We've seen relatively low rates of isolation for all of this pandemic, some science has demonstrated less than a third of people are isolating when they need to, and so we really want to make sure we need to have guidance in this moment where we were going to have a lot of disease that could be adhered to, that people were willing to adhere to, and that spoke specifically to when people were maximally infectious. So it really spoke to behaviors and what people were willing to do."

So, not in any way what you're saying. And it's a goddamned embarrassment that I'm having to transcribe a 40 second video because people won't even click the tweet.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So where is the science behind the change? Can you help point it out to me? This is the administration that said they would follow the science so I’m sure it is easy to find something dated prior to the decision made by the CDC.

I appreciate why you're not responding to the refutation of your previous misrepresentation.

Reducing quarantine periods often has to do with backfire effects related to overall compliance and/or capacity factors; if you can get people to actually limit their exposure behavior during the period where there's actual risk, it can be better than a broader requirement that they breach. The CDC isn't going to just ignore economic factors, either, inasmuchas people who can't work under guidelines for an extended period of time wind up, well, not following the guidelines. In this case, the rationale also appears to be based on when in the disease period transmission is occurring, evidence that the virus is detectable long after it's transmissible, that transmission rates in asymptomatic cases are much lower, and concern over healthcare capacity occupation. Some of the research used as the basis for the new guidance is linked in the references on this page.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Edit: this also sounds incredibly similar to MAGA folks when they went “that isn’t what the Trump admin said. What they meant was…”

The science is that this variant is more infectious but less severe, so people taking ten days off work because they’re virtually asymptomatic but have a positive COVID test doesn’t make sense at all. Vermont handed out thousands of free at-home testing kits and then their hospitals were overwhelmed by people with positive results and no other need to be at the hospital.

I know this is disappointing for people who were psychologically invested in COVID bringing down our whole rotten system and immanentizing the eschaton but it’s not going to do that, this is just a nasty cold now. Government’s messaging could be better on this of course.