Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

My Snes has outlived all my seventh generation consoles and didn't even get that weird yellowing thing, and odds are it will outlive you, me and every fighting game cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
unfortunately

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My PS2, N64, Genesis, and even my parents' Atari 2600 all still work just fine

My 2018 gaming PC? Probably headed for the garbage bin within the next year or two, but it's what I'm currently using to post, do my job, and research hentai, so I guess you take some you lose some

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still using my launch day DS phat. I think the phat was the last system that was really made to last. Even Nintendo doesn’t make durable stuff anymore.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I played Thrill Kill back in the 90s like exactly when it became available and yes even by those standards it was horrendously bad, although I would rather play that than something like Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft, developed by Take-Two Interactive, who would later take action against the developers of a cute little game called It Takes Two for trademark poo poo because they are dumb motherfuckers and will openly do that kind of poo poo while releasing remasters of the titles that gave them a name with all the polish of a klingon's ballsack

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Screw bad videogame opinions, everyone mouthing off on franz ferdinand itt has extremely bad music opinions

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

signalnoise posted:

I played Thrill Kill back in the 90s like exactly when it became available and yes even by those standards it was horrendously bad, although I would rather play that than something like Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft, developed by Take-Two Interactive, who would later take action against the developers of a cute little game called It Takes Two for trademark poo poo because they are dumb motherfuckers and will openly do that kind of poo poo while releasing remasters of the titles that gave them a name with all the polish of a klingon's ballsack

I did hear the Thrill Kill engine was actually pretty revolutionary and went on to be used in the Def Jam games.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Screw bad videogame opinions, everyone mouthing off on franz ferdinand itt has extremely bad music opinions

Lol what. Dont give them a pass just because they're Scottish jollyboyjohn!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I did hear the Thrill Kill engine was actually pretty revolutionary and went on to be used in the Def Jam games.

Yeah there are plenty of games that have cool tech underneath that were just used for bad games I'm sure. I played it in sort of a group hangout spot and our reaction was pretty much "this didn't get censored for being too violent, it got cancelled because it was bad." Like, there wasn't anything really wrong with the game more than you'd expect from something that wasn't ready for publishing anyway, but beyond that, it played like a fighting game designed by someone who heard about fighting games as a concept in passing. Thinking of it as something that would eventually become Def Jam makes a lot of sense in hindsight.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Lol what. Dont give them a pass just because they're Scottish jollyboyjohn!

Who the hell else am i going to bat for from the past 20 years? CHuRCV3S? Biffy loving clyro? Not a chance son. Franz are the best thing this wee island has put out since The Bay City Rollers

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Until now I thought Franz Ferdinand was a song by the band Modest Mouse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

signalnoise posted:

Yeah there are plenty of games that have cool tech underneath that were just used for bad games I'm sure. I played it in sort of a group hangout spot and our reaction was pretty much "this didn't get censored for being too violent, it got cancelled because it was bad." Like, there wasn't anything really wrong with the game more than you'd expect from something that wasn't ready for publishing anyway, but beyond that, it played like a fighting game designed by someone who heard about fighting games as a concept in passing. Thinking of it as something that would eventually become Def Jam makes a lot of sense in hindsight.

I've seen a video on the story behind it, weirdly enough it started out as a video game adaptation of the Mesoamerican Ballgame of all things, til they decided to turn it into a full on fighting game and amp up the violence and sexuality to what turned out to be unacceptable levels. (it was the Mortal Kombat era and all) You're probably not wrong there, given it hadn't gotten release-ready polish and basically stumbled into being a fighting game via themes.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Scotland should probably just stay out of music altogether. Bagpipes and franz ferdinand.. it's not great. Stick to the Braveheart poo poo and, i dunno, golf hats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Icochet posted:

Scotland should probably just stay out of music altogether. Bagpipes and franz ferdinand.. it's not great. Stick to the Braveheart poo poo and, i dunno, golf hats

As a non-Scot except by heritage; get tae gently caress.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Who the hell else am i going to bat for from the past 20 years? CHuRCV3S? Biffy loving clyro? Not a chance son. Franz are the best thing this wee island has put out since The Bay City Rollers

I mean you could have at least said belle and sebastian or mogwai or something and pretended to be somewhat relevant

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard there's a Sailor Moon one that's surprisingly good. Probably still only by those standards.

That game is good enough that it’s got a small competitive scene still and has shown up at EVO side events.

Also fun fact it was the first fighting game made by a lil’ company called Arc System Works.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
When they hosted the Junior Ryder Cup (golf) near me, in preparation for the numerous American tourists who would be visiting the town, one of the bigger restaurants got rid of their normal menus and replaced them with stylised "Scotified" menus which only included the extra large options for meals, double patty burgers and also emphasised things which we don't consume in Scotland regularly but which doe-eyed Americans would fawn over - pie on a roll, haggis supper, that kind of thing. Made a killing as well, and then the day after the yanks left, bam, back to the normal menus, £4 normal person sized full english breakfast with a nice strong earl grey, thank you very much

Say what you will about a our falsetto but that innate inventive ability to overcharge a bunch of yanks for some deep fried mars bars and Cock-a-leekie soup is testament to why, without the ingenuity of the humble Scots you wouldn't have a computer monitor or a telephone line to route the myriad of shitposts we see today.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I mean you could have at least said belle and sebastian or mogwai or something and pretended to be somewhat relevant

i like you fridge corn and i mean no ill will from this post but belle and sebastian and mogwai are 2 of the most garbage bands i have ever heard

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

kntfkr posted:

All of these things are bad.

Good 4 U is great, and Phoebe Bridgers and Taylor Swift are decent, but the point was more that guitar music is still a thing. The most popular guitar music also sucked when it was the cock rock, landfill indie or mall emo or loving DragonForce that made up a lot of Guitar Hero tracklists.

Icochet posted:

The Pastels, Life Without Buildings, Orange Juice, The Vaselines, Pictish Trail, Spook School and loads more are pretty great. The Prats, who I take my screen name from, were fantastic. But I am sorry on behalf of my country about Franz Ferdinand.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alestorm is also pretty fun.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You can also appreciate Helen Grime, a classical composer and musician who was appointed as an MBE in 2020

Why yes, I did have to google "Scottish music" because I couldn't name anyone off the top of my head, why do you ask?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
oh god dont just google "Scottish Music" - that'll take you to the world of Scottish Country Music and thats too much for even me

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I wonder if you guys didn't search out new music when you were kids or something

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i like you fridge corn and i mean no ill will from this post but belle and sebastian and mogwai are 2 of the most garbage bands i have ever heard

:greenangel:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
it sounded like i was being a reactionary dickhead there, I was, let me rephrase that - Mogwai are actually alright but Belle and Sebastian are utter wank for art school dropouts

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I made myself curious so I listened to some Helen Grime, and I liked it! Another thread success

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

almost lost my poo poo at the JBJ mogwai statement but luckily he tempered it

honestly the only decent modern scottish export is Limmy

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

almost lost my poo poo at the JBJ mogwai statement but luckily he tempered it

honestly the only decent modern scottish export is Limmy

Incredible

edit: Apparently, Simple Minds released an album in 2018 and it got good reviews

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 29, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
casual reminder for all those who might not know - Grand Theft Auto came from Dundee, Lemmings too.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As a non-Scot except by heritage;

lol gently caress off

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

casual reminder for all those who might not know - Grand Theft Auto came from Dundee, Lemmings too.

there was a documentary released in the last 24h about this, actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7FqNa5rD0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Skulker posted:

lol gently caress off

if it helps i'm not american

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

if it helps i'm not american

Oh okay I'm sorry bud. Go in peace.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I honestly think it's really weird to evaluate whether some variety of music is alive, and whether kids know about it, based on what music is on the pop charts. Like sure, when I was a kid in 1992, we had Pearl Jam, Nirvana, stuff like that on the radio, but we also had Michael Jackson. We also had the pop explosion of Billy Ray Cyrus with Achy Breaky Heart. We had Sir Mix-A-Lot, Bobby Brown, and we even had Walkin' on Broken Glass by Annie Lennox. In 1994, Trent Rezor gave us Pretty Hate Machine, and Kurt Cobain gave himself to the earth, I guess. You know what wasn't playing on the radio? Stuff from 1952. Guitars are still being used, guys. They aren't all over the pop charts because the pop charts have always made room for stuff for a variety of music like heavily sample-based stuff, whether it's hip hop, some new Daft Punk album, synthpop like Owl City, or utter dogshit like when Paul McCartney gets in the christmas spirit. Surely you knew about stuff from before you were born before you were out of your teens, despite the charts having nothing to do with that. I don't see why you gotta have some weird idea of kids that they are so much more incompetent today in searching for music than you were without the internet of today.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it sounded like i was being a reactionary dickhead there, I was, let me rephrase that - Mogwai are actually alright but Belle and Sebastian are utter wank for art school dropouts

Hey, I have tickets to (hopefully) see them in the new year and I resent how correct you are.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Never listen to any band you could beat up imho.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If you replace all the radio stations in GTA V with this song and just drive around, it's called the Depression Simulator 2013 mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0y78C91B3U

The coolest thing Franz Ferdinand ever did next to being assassinated was dating Eleanor Friedberger. I wanna date Eleanor Friedberger.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Disco Pope posted:

The Pastels, Life Without Buildings, Orange Juice, The Vaselines, Pictish Trail, Spook School and loads more are pretty great. The Prats, who I take my screen name from, were fantastic. But I am sorry on behalf of my country about Franz Ferdinand.

Nay Del Amitri? Get oot

Anyway, I can forgive peoples poison tipped dart jibes at Franz, the lead singer (who I've heard separately is a bit of a wanker) is actually from Gloucester?? Soft Southern Shite.

Big up the Travis

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 29, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nay Del Amitri? Get oot

look around your thread, petty babby

is it everything you hoped it'd be

kntfkr posted:

If you replace all the radio stations in GTA V with this song and just drive around, it's called the Depression Simulator 2013 mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0y78C91B3U

The coolest thing Franz Ferdinand ever did next to being assassinated was dating Eleanor Friedberger. I wanna date Eleanor Friedberger.

I don't know if this is a confession or just saying but when I play saints row 3 I just make a playlist that is return of the mack and nothing else, not because I think it's funny, but because after paring down the track list I found that that's the only song in the game that won't bother me whether it's interrupted repeatedly or no matter how many times i hear it over the course of the game. It just becomes the cool car song like it has its own 60 second loop

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

signalnoise posted:

look around your thread, petty babby

is it everything you hoped it'd be

I don't know if this is a confession or just saying but when I play saints row 3 I just make a playlist that is return of the mack and nothing else, not because I think it's funny, but because after paring down the track list I found that that's the only song in the game that won't bother me whether it's interrupted repeatedly or no matter how many times i hear it over the course of the game. It just becomes the cool car song like it has its own 60 second loop

sometimes I still load up SR4 with a nonstop Simply Irresistible mixtape and fly around the city with a bra, gimp mask and heels (nothing else) causing chaos for a while