Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

canepazzo posted:

While in the HRE, if you want to avoid unlawful territory and can't ally Austria, you can chain wars - a territorial one followed by a humiliate or trade or anything that doesn't involve AE if it's a concer; the HRE can only send unlawful territory requests if you're at peace or if the province is uncored. So if you fight a random, no stakes war while you core your conquests, then you can peace out once it's done and get no penalties.

this doesn't work anymore im fairly sure, i got the unlawful land popup last time i played vanilla in 1.32. goes for both the ally trick and being at war till its cored trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

canepazzo posted:

While in the HRE, if you want to avoid unlawful territory and can't ally Austria, you can chain wars - a territorial one followed by a humiliate or trade or anything that doesn't involve AE if it's a concer; the HRE can only send unlawful territory requests if you're at peace or if the province is uncored. So if you fight a random, no stakes war while you core your conquests, then you can peace out once it's done and get no penalties.

This doesn't work anymore - the emperor can send unlawful territory demands to anyone at any time in the current patch. The only way to prevent them seems to be maintaining very high relations with the emperor and probably boosting trust as well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh my god you can scroll down in the estates privileges menu

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Oh my god you can scroll down in the estates privileges menu

Never stop posting in this thread.

There's also a Secret Button that prevents your allies from calling you into their stupid wars! See if you can find it!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Don't forget the super secret way to make your vassals claim land that's never explained! The same menu that keeps war allies from taking control of territory when you call them in for favours.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Any decent youtubers/streamers with Anbennar playthrough archives (or hell, vanilla ones too, the only one I knew was Arumba and he imploded) that I can slap on in the background at work and occasionally look at?

Florryworry is the best streamer, idk if he is doing youtubes anymore. Not much Anbennar but he's currently doing crazy VH runs with OPMs where he can't take loans, get any allies, or savescum.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LMAOOO I just totally hosed Poland over. I started over as Brandenburg.

Okay, I was on my third overlapping war... but first I had attacked Bohemia along with Austria and Poland, and at the end we divided up some land and I got my neighbor to the north's middle provinces, splitting Wolgast down the middle lol, so they have provinces to my left and right. That's a recipe for another war very soon I am sure. Maybe the AI will finally attack me for once. After winning, I gave Poland and Austria some land but not enough to make them 100% happy. Close enough. I also got them to drop their alliance with Wolgast so that I can get the province STOP later (Its called Stolp but I think it is funny to call it STOP)

Then I accidentally accepted a loving insane war with Austria with like 20 countries, in which I spent most of the time running away and hiding in forts because I have 4 loans already and I would like to not go bankrupt, so I had my army maintenance off. My land kept getting occupied but then my allies would liberate it. Eventually I was able to white peace out, pissing off my allies more.

So then literally the day I escape that war, Poland invites me to fight the Tuetonic order and its allies. Well, this is exactly what I need for Prussia later on, so why not. I go in and occupy my neighbor Mecklenberg and win some easy fights in order to contribute, then I check the treaty deal and see that I can acquire Danzig of all places if I am willing to leave the war. It only causes Poland to lose 10 trust of me so why the gently caress not? Hahaha so I take it and now I have Danzig which I did literally nothing to acquire.

Unfortunately, the event to buy the two provinces from the Teutonic Order has not happened yet, and Denmark is occupying those two provinces, so I am probably going to miss out on it and have to take them by other means. Poland still owes me 17 favors despite my shenanigans so I can maybe pull that off.

My economy is still in tatters, though. Had to fire two advisers just to stay afloat, but I'm doing my first Ironman run so its full steam ahead.

edit: oh hell yes the Teutonic Order ended their wars and they still have all the provinces I need from them! Finally a lucky break

Edit2: hell yes again the event to buy the provinces worked! Now the TO have just one left and it will be very easy for me to take it from them.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 28, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A good start

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You seem to be developing a good grasp of what allies are for, i.e. to do your dirty work and be discarded when no longer useful. Just be aware that they will drop your alliance pretty quickly if you go below 40 trust from screwing them over.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

They do have one other important use: dissuading other AIs from attacking you

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's very important to learn that allies in EU4 are true friends, but nations who don't want you to die atm so you can help them not die atm/ so you don't die to the wrong, third nation.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Allies are just future vassals. Unless they're too big then they're cannon fodder until no longer too big.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

You seem to be developing a good grasp of what allies are for, i.e. to do your dirty work and be discarded when no longer useful. Just be aware that they will drop your alliance pretty quickly if you go below 40 trust from screwing them over.

Good to know! I did use the favors for trust interaction with each of them afterward since I didn’t know precisely how, but I suspected that my allies distrusting me was not a good thing

Poland randomly insulted me, giving me CB, but did not break our alliance. I guess we have a complicated relationship

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 29, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blue squares posted:

So then literally the day I escape that war, Poland invites me to fight the Tuetonic order and its allies. Well, this is exactly what I need for Prussia later on, so why not. I go in and occupy my neighbor Mecklenberg and win some easy fights in order to contribute, then I check the treaty deal and see that I can acquire Danzig of all places if I am willing to leave the war. It only causes Poland to lose 10 trust of me so why the gently caress not? Hahaha so I take it and now I have Danzig which I did literally nothing to acquire.

Just FYI the province you really need is Konigsberg. Not that Danzig isn't an amazing province, but you don't need it to form Prussia, Konigsberg you do.

also the primary goal of Eu4 is Pretty Borders, and Ducal Prussia is the prettiest one

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

also the primary goal of Eu4 is Pretty Borders, and Ducal Prussia is the prettiest one

aka why I can't do ~efficient~ wcs because every vassal has to have their own region/trading zone to fit nicely into and how dare you suggest splitting areas.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Just FYI the province you really need is Konigsberg. Not that Danzig isn't an amazing province, but you don't need it to form Prussia, Konigsberg you do.

You need both I think and I now have both! Now I just have to get to Admin 10 and change my religion

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It hurts me when a neighbouring ally has the final province I need to complete a state :(

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Do you get anything if you actually pay back the 100 year loan as Venail

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

You need both I think

You do not. You need Konigsberg and (Danzig OR Stolp)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ah, ok. They were both highlighted when I hovered over the requirements but I didn’t read the details. Still, I can’t leave a hole in my borders!

For all my complaining earlier, this is shaping up to maybe be my favorite run! It’s fun being in a more precarious position and having to be more careful and smart

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

skasion posted:

you avoid a hit to diplo rep

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

skasion posted:

No. It just makes a bunch of mainlanders hate you which you shouldn't care about from a metagaming perspective. I still do it though because whynot at that point.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m so poor as Brandenburg. Is it worth attacking my rivals with the humiliation CB to demand ducats after I win?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

blue squares posted:

I’m so poor as Brandenburg. Is it worth attacking my rivals with the humiliation CB to demand ducats after I win?

Always be attacking if you can win it easily/fast. Not fighting is gold not being made to invest in your own country. Humiliation is also great prestige as a WG.

If you're aggressive enough then you can keep everyone around you constantly in massive debt and spiraling out of control to the point that they'll dishonour alliance calls which makes picking off bigger and bigger circles around you easier.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 29, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Depends on how strong they (and their allies) are. Though if you do you should actually humiliate them too (costs 40 war score), 30 power projection is nice to have. (Early on, Show Strength is probably better than humiliate+cash, but once you get bigger if you beat up a rival enough to get a 100% peace you want to take land instead.)

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Punching money out of your neighbors is a time honored way to fix your finances (and farm prestige by ending rivalries). Your ill gotten gains will be split amongst your allies though so it's best to do it on your own if you can swing it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
You want to get a humiliate in as early as possible so you get the Age Objective. The 10% AE reduction age bonus is absolutely vital playing in the HRE.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

It hurts me when a neighbouring ally has the final province I need to complete a state :(

Yeah, it's always sad when an old friendship goes bad because of land.

Doesn't mean I won't do it eventually! Just means that I'll save them for later.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

Yes. Also the Show Strength option against your rivals (peace out their local allies for ducats) is great if you can get an easy war in against them, especially if you're already up against the AE limit. Then sink the +100MP into provincial development.

Economic ideas are good for Brandenburg too iirc, the dev cost reduction really helps, and I believe you get excellent policy synergy with Quality ideas.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Eco-Quantity is currently super good for both the general manpower/limit and the edict for having both that has the extra 10% dev cost. (30% total). Stacked on top of a farmlands (-5%), cloth (-10%), and prosperity (-10%) lets you dev rush / mil spam very cheaply.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 29, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
the funnest part of dev meta as brandenburg is the fact that the vast majority of the terrain in your expansion path (northern germany) is all woods.
highly suggest you start with the usual conquest of pommerania/TO and then focus on taking provinces in the Lubeck trade node along the coast. your farmlands with cots are gonna be konigsberg danzig and lubeck, so dev those first and move your capital to lubeck asap

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Watching Lorent implode to peasant wars and coalitions is fun as I run in and snipe some more Imperial land out from them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Watching Lorent die is one of the great pleasures of Anbennar, alongside watching Gawead die, and watching Wex die, and watching The Command die...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

THE BAR posted:

https://anbennar.fandom.com/wiki/Countries

Any nation with a † has its own, unique mission tree. Any nation with a ‡ has a cultural variant of the base tree.

Hold of Verkal Gulan or Ovdal Kanzad might be what you're looking for.

Ok I am trying out verkal gulan, but.. is it working as intended that I have to wait years at speed 5 while nothing happens? I got an event in the first few months that gave me a big bunch of corruption, and had an event to choose how to "reawaken" between 3 choices (adm to dig down, dip to expand, or mil to.. kill others? Not sure there), and I can't colonize or do much else in the meantime, seems pointless to conquer those 1/1/1 provinces on the outside

The starting missions' goals seem to be impossible to reach in any decent timeframe: dev production on your capital hold to 18, starting from 8... And you have a 1dip ruler! Or things like "dig to level 2" which isn't even something I can do apparently, I guess I have to wait for the reawakening event to fire but it's been like 7 years now and nothing happened.

It's weird and I wish there was some better documentation about races with such specific rules, I read the starting blurbs but a small guide about how holds and the caves differ from normal land would be nice

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 29, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TorakFade posted:

Ok I am trying out verkal gulan, but.. is it working as intended that I have to wait years at speed 5 while nothing happens? I got an event in the first few months that gave me a big bunch of corruption, and had an event to choose how to "reawaken" between 3 choices (adm to dig down, dip to expand, or mil to.. kill others? Not sure there), and I can't colonize or do much else in the meantime, seems pointless to conquer those 1/1/1 provinces on the outside

The starting missions' goals seem to be impossible to reach in any decent timeframe: dev production on your capital hold to 18, starting from 8... And you have a 1dip ruler! Or things like "dig to level 2" which isn't even something I can do apparently, I guess I have to wait for the reawakening event to fire but it's been like 7 years now and nothing happened.

It's weird and I wish there was some better documentation about races with such specific rules, I read the starting blurbs but a small guide about how holds and the caves differ from normal land would be nice

I'm away from my PC and haven't tried this specific start, but even the AI easily gets to 100+ dev in dwarven holds after about a hundred years or so, because the dev cost reductions you accumulate in them are insane. Always be digging, but maybe you can't do that right now because you need to restore your hold? I agree that dwarves have some of the least well explained mechanics. You could also join the Anbennar discord and search for answers/ask questions there, I found them very helpful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarfen Remnants sit pretty for 5 years or so at start, yeah; it's part of balancing out the fact that you start with a very powerful capital province with a terrain type called a Dwarfen Hold. Also, pick "dig deeper" for your choice: this nets you a free "dig level" for your starting hold.

Speaking of which, in the Serpentspine, the name of the game is controlling the old Dwarfen holds, as these provinces basically represent the municipal centers of the fallen Dwarf empire. They receive insane bonuses to income and defense, and have a special system where every 10 or so development starting from 20 total development, you can initiate a project to develop the hold to further increase its bonuses, including a big discount to future development costs to make sure you can keep working on boosting those provinces. Thus, a Dwarf nation plays very well by building "tall," har har. Protip: during your idle years from game start as a remnant hold, a good play is to spend your monarch points and gold towards initiating a dig project in your capital. Done in time, and combined with the "dig deeper" choice, you can actually get both dig level upgrades, basically getting the boosted income from an advanced dig level along with benefiting from the devcost discount when you finally can play catch-up.

Also, once you start grabbing multiple holds, keep in mind that once a hold reaches 40 development and is at the corresponding dig level, it then gets a passive auto-development chance. Thus, you'll want to develop all your holds steadily towards 40 dev to maximize on that mechanic.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 29, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've only played as dwarf adventurers but they're fub. the guys who start just south of railskulker are a good start, you can form ex-natvir with them for a fairly basic but fun tree

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Watching Lorent die is one of the great pleasures of Anbennar, alongside watching Gawead die, and watching Wex die, and watching The Command die...

Unfortunately the religious league war turned out to be an insane hellwar against both the Cursed Horde and Lorent and all their minions. Was something like 150k vs 350k. We lost so those drat Corinthites are the Emperor now. Jokes on them though, IA is pretty much stuck at 0. I'm just going to slowly munch my way through the empire until I'm big enough to just leave and eat the rest of it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For dwarven hold shenanigans it should be noted that passive growth is very slow before you build the Harpylen Dam. Construction time modifiers also directly affect the time for both centralized digging and also capital hold deepening; mage estate spell, goblins, kobolds, etc all stack for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My run as the Railskulkers is now at the point where I can form the Allclan and I feel I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Crossrails? I saved and formed the clan so I could see the mission tree and it's, uh, a little ominous with all those "this is a great idea" lines. I think I saw earlier in the thread that the disaster for them is currently disabled?

It feels like a bit of tonal whiplash, the transition. I guess with the other clans it might fit well but the Railskulker mission tree feels fairly "serious" for want of a better word and then the Allclan has a whole bunch of very hyperbolic language and such like we've swapped over to comedy goblins. I was rather enjoying my trainspotting radical liberals so I don't know how to feel.

There's a bunch of ravelian lodges in my territory, so I hope there's an option to swap over to that when the time comes. Is that going to break anything for the Allclan missions, so far as anyone knows?