Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Looking forward to next winter when people discover it’s actually cheaper to set fire to £5 notes for heat than pay their gas bill and Kieth pops up occasionally between bottles of vodka to demand Boris “gets a grip”

Now we know the real reason they switched to polymer notes, so people don't even get that chance to avoid the rent-seekers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So here’s how my COVID experience is going so far if anyone wants to know what it’s like to catch it when you’re double jabbed but haven’t had the booster yet.

Day 1 - Serious flu-like aches and pains over my whole body and no energy. Moving is incredibly difficult and I have a mild headache. No appetite at all and have to force myself to eat small morsels. There is also a periodic cough and I feel extremely cold most of the time.

Day 2 - Considerably more energy and more desire to eat, but still far less than normal. Aches and pains have largely gone. Headache has increased in intensity and now have nasal congestion along with the coughing increasing in intensity. I also feel considerably dehydrated regardless of how much water I drink, and a painful sore throat has begun to manifest. Unfortunately I had a random bout of insomnia overnight and got less than two hours sleep. I am now alternating between feeling incredibly hot and incredibly cold.

Day 3 (today) - The aches and pains in my limbs are gone but I can feel inflammation around my lungs and ribs. The headache has dulled but the nasal congestion is still present. The sore throat is now very painful and coughing is now quite painful, but infrequent. Unfortunately I am now suffering from fainting/dizzy spells which ended up with me collapsing on the floor when I went to use the bathroom, and had to have my partner physically support me while I relieved myself. It is unclear how much of this is down to having almost no sleep and have spent the rest of the morning sleeping which brings us to the time of writing this, so I’ll see how I get on.

The fainting and dizzy spells are *not* a good sign, call your GP or 111 *right now* as they may be a symptom of dangerously low oxygen levels or dangerously high fever.

Seriously I can't overstate this - GET MEDICAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY. It could be (and probably is) just fatigue but fainting is *never* a symptom to ignore.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cool thing is, if covid is a Chinese bioweapon released accidentally... And the Chinese are the only country adopting a serious zero covid policy... What does that tell you about how bad covid actually is? :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone on my FB has shared this thing pointing out the Delta, Omicron and Rothschild islands near Antarctica "it makes you wonder what is really going on!"
Baron Edouard de Rothschild sponsored an Antarctic expedition during La Belle Époque. Greek letters have existed for a while. :ms:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oh and some old git preaching in belfast city centre a few months ago spooked her by saying the vaccines are the mark of the beast :bahgawd:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

One of the thing that's stuck with me from reading part of a big book on millenarism during lockdown is the incredibly long (1000+ year) history of people pointing to things and saying "yep, that's the mark of the beast alright. end days a-coming."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Baron Edouard de Rothschild sponsored an Antarctic expedition during La Belle Époque. Greek letters have existed for a while. :ms:

I think a lot of people actually just don't know it's greek.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I hope you know that I know that! I was quoting!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I had covid in November, caught it only a week after my work started making me come into the office. Lasted about 10 days but the symptoms varied over that time, had a lovely, painful cough that lasted a good 7 days, felt really tired the entire time and then right in the middle has a vicious fever that really, really jammed me up for 3/4 days. The tiredness was probably worse cause I could barely sleep from the coughing. I worked from home once I felt better and isolated for 14 days from when I first showed the symptoms and then started coming back in again since that was the expectation, felt fine for the first week and then my lungs just went to absolute poo poo, started getting out of breath walking up the 2 flights of stairs and on the walk from the train station to the office that I could do easily prior. Still get it now as well but I've just been moving about less with Christmas.

Work closed back up again just before Christmas but I'm seriously considered just handing in my notice when/if they try and make me come in again cause honestly gently caress that. No reason I need to work from the office when I started the job, did the onboarding (what little there was) and then worked just fine remotely for 8 months.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

One of the thing that's stuck with me from reading part of a big book on millenarism during lockdown is the incredibly long (1000+ year) history of people pointing to things and saying "yep, that's the mark of the beast alright. end days a-coming."
Someone thought it was a good idea to add a book at the end of the Bible that was so open to interpretation that it may as well just read "hullo there I'm the Beast and that new thing that you don't like, that's mine it is".

I remember barcodes definitely being one of them.

OwlFancier posted:

I think a lot of people actually just don't know it's greek.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i worked for a health trust of all places and the poo poo for brains managers there tried to stop people working from home when all that was needed to do their jobs just as well was a remote login. i shopped them into the department of health and there was a sudden and drastic change of attitude towards WFH soon after :newlol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not know what kind of swivel eyed nutter wants to socialize at work, my job literally requires me to be there in person and I still try to do it in the dead of night when there's nobody else there.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i tried going through my union first but the rep i had was a waste of space - literally worse than useless. she used the meeting i had set up to actually speak against me to ingratiate herself to the management lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I just edited my really sarky FB post (removing the sarky comments and symbols) about the Greek alphabet and how the ancient greeks predicted Delta and Omicron 3000 years ago because, I dunno, I'm in two minds whether it is better to know what is going on in the heads of people who are usually normal good folk or have them get really upset and block you if they think you are dissing their ideas.
I decided just posting the greek alphabet and saying it was 3000 years old might gently find its way into peoples' brains when a sarky or direct challenge just gets barrierized (is that a word?)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Someone thought it was a good idea to add a book at the end of the Bible that was so open to interpretation that it may as well just read "hullo there I'm the Beast and that new thing that you don't like, that's mine it is".

When you nut but she keeps anagramming.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

I do not know what kind of swivel eyed nutter wants to socialize at work, my job literally requires me to be there in person and I still try to do it in the dead of night when there's nobody else there.

What's the burglar's union policy on welcome sticks then?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Day six for me and I definitely feel over most of the symptoms. Hopeful that my LFTs today and tomorrow are going to be clear...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The brother I had Christmas dinner with has had a positive PCR test and is now feeling like poo poo. His missus and kids are off getting tests. I've taken two LFT and both are negative but I'm booking myself, the missus and my mother (she's not making it easy) in for one as well. One drawback is we have no transport, opinions on best way to get to test centres?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

my ma had a taxi driver tell her nearly a year ago that it's all a plot by "the chinkies" to depopulate the rest of the world so they can take it over more easily

If they have, it's not good enough to be weapons grade.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I decided just posting the greek alphabet and saying it was 3000 years old might gently find its way into peoples' brains when a sarky or direct challenge just gets barrierized (is that a word?)
You could point out that the British expedition that named all the small islands after Greek letters because :effort: (and I guess political neutrality as with the Covid variants) happened at a completely different time with completely different sponsors to the French expedition that discovered Rothschild Island. Or you could ask where Cormorant Island and Bob Island fit in. Was Bob Crow in on it too?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

bessantj posted:

The brother I had Christmas dinner with has had a positive PCR test and is now feeling like poo poo. His missus and kids are off getting tests. I've taken two LFT and both are negative but I'm booking myself, the missus and my mother (she's not making it easy) in for one as well. One drawback is we have no transport, opinions on best way to get to test centres?
You're not meant to use public transport, so I think there's an option for home test kits.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The fainting and dizzy spells are *not* a good sign, call your GP or 111 *right now* as they may be a symptom of dangerously low oxygen levels or dangerously high fever.

Seriously I can't overstate this - GET MEDICAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY. It could be (and probably is) just fatigue but fainting is *never* a symptom to ignore.

Having a pulse oxymeter at home is also a good idea, if you can spare the cash.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

therattle posted:

First thing i bought was an oximeter & thermometer, i was still working at the time so considered it essential.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

You're not meant to use public transport, so I think there's an option for home test kits.

I was thinking home kit for my mam and the missus has said she wouldn't mind walking down to one but I'm not sure if it's better to get home kits for us as well so we limit contact. Just want to make sure I do the test right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
On Day 4 myself (well, Day 4 since I noticed symptoms anyway), been keeping myself amused tracking HR, temp, SpO2, meds and symptoms for me, my missus, and the father in law, so I can make little patient narratives. Since it's what I do for a living it's a bit of a busman's holiday but whatever.

Symptoms mostly fine and my botanist friend just dropped off about a year's worth of :420: on my doorstep so things could be worse

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Pratchett fans who enjoyed Hogfather will know who this is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-59746740

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

big scary monsters posted:

What's the burglar's union policy on welcome sticks then?
They keep taking strike action against homeowners that use them, but it isn't very effective

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It was a Deez Nuts joke all along

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'll do the Ligma variant next.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You could point out that the British expedition that named all the small islands after Greek letters because :effort: (and I guess political neutrality as with the Covid variants) happened at a completely different time with completely different sponsors to the French expedition that discovered Rothschild Island. Or you could ask where Cormorant Island and Bob Island fit in. Was Bob Crow in on it too?

I've actually got quite good response to my non-sarky post. I won't bait people anymore, I tend to forget not everyone had the benefits of a classical education (or indeed studied maths and physics at uni where the greek alphabet is in constant use!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

I bought one at the start of all this. I check now and then to make sure I'm still alive ;)
But seriously, sometimes I get funny heart beats so it's quite good for checking pulse isn't TOO wild! Also general health - my typical pulse at the start of 2021 was over 80bpm, now it's normally in the 70s, but for a good 3 months in the summer (before I put back on the 14kg I lost May-Aug) it was in the low 60s.
My SPOx has never gone below 93 and is normally 95-96

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's also an anagram of "A doctor limen", which is appropriate considering it's pushing the NHS to the edge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also 'cilantro mode'.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

FUN FACT: if you rearrange the letters of Lavern Spicer, you get CRAP SNIVELER

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This isn't terribly good unless you have an underlying medical condition.

Do the pulse ox's include any guidance on how to take a reading and what can affect it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Some reassuring support for Corbyn on twitter today over Lammy. Probably just how my feed is curated, but it's nice to see.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MajorPazuzu/status/1476169392274776074/

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I bought one at the start of all this. I check now and then to make sure I'm still alive ;)
But seriously, sometimes I get funny heart beats so it's quite good for checking pulse isn't TOO wild! Also general health - my typical pulse at the start of 2021 was over 80bpm, now it's normally in the 70s, but for a good 3 months in the summer (before I put back on the 14kg I lost May-Aug) it was in the low 60s.

93 is low, if the pulse rate was 110-130 as well i'd be off to the Dr.

Make sure there is no nail varnish/false nail on your nail, can throw off the readings.

p.s. i'm not a Dr.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^ I am a Dr but not the useful kind unless you need an emergency interplanetary magnetic field operation.

Lady Demelza posted:

This isn't terribly good unless you have an underlying medical condition.

Do the pulse ox's include any guidance on how to take a reading and what can affect it?

I understand 95-96 is ok not superfit but not worrying. It rarely goes below 95. I'm overweight but no other underlying conditions. I did lose 14kg May-Aug then regained it Sep-Nov, but the SPOX didn't change. (But there has been change occasionally so I know it's not stuck on that figure!). My pulse is the thing that really changed with weight loss/gain.

I can't remember what came with mine now in terms of instructions, it cost about £16 or so IIRC so not a super expensive one. I'm more interested in consistency than absolute values to be fair.

If you have darker skin they're a lot less reliable apparently.

PS I always use the same finger and try to get it in the same position each time. I did have bad experience with a blood pressure monitor when I had very high blood pressure about 15 years ago (solved - not with medication, diet or exercise, but by the 'simple' method of quitting work and going to live abroad). I spent £50 on a monitor at my doc's suggestion but found if I moved my arm up or down by just as little as a cm here or there, it would record my bp as being either horrifically high - like my blood was about to burst out of my vessels - or 'are you alive' low. I sent it back.

PPS I do have fun with the pulse bit though - seeing if I can lower my pulse by breathing differently or relaxing various muscles though. Can usually drop it up to 5bpm by these methods.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oximeter chat:

Found this:

quote:

Measurement errors

The following factors may impair the SpO2 measurements and/or lead to inaccurate readings:

High levels of ambient light (shield the sensor area if necessary)
Excessive patient movement
Placement of a sensor on an extremity with a blood pressure cuff, arterial catheter, or intravascular line
The patient has hypotension, severe vasoconstriction, severe anaemia, or hypothermia
The patient is in cardiac arrest or is in shock
Fingernail polish or artificial fingernails
Cold or dirty fingernails
Significant levels of dysfunctional haemoglobins (such as carboxy-haemoglobin or methaemoglobin)
Intravascular dyes such as indocyanine green or methylene blue
Venous pulsations

https://geratherm.com/en/diagnostic/health-informations/information-and-tips-about-oxygen-saturation/