Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gobbeldygook posted:

another thing I never bothered using for a long time was focus-target. I finally started using it when I was working my way through the Alexander raids because I kept dying because I was healing people instead of monitoring the boss's cast bar.

Focus targeting is something I think everyone can find some kind of use for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Begemot posted:

All the bosses there are jobs they were considering but couldn't make work, or decided not to use for some other reason. I believe berserker was originally intended to be a DPS off-shoot of warrior, like summoner and scholar.

Awww, that would have been fun. :(

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

(new raid spoilers) There's at least one Ancient walking around with eyeglasses. Why? Apparently just so he can dramatically ditch them, but why would they even know what glasses are?

They're special lenses that enhance his ability to read souls or some ancient wizard poo poo like that duh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gotta say, the Endwalker dungeon end boss theme really grew on me. When I first heard it I was disappointed because it didn't go as hard as Insatiable (the Shadowbringers dungeon end boss theme) but now I probably like it just as much.

The mid-boss theme rocks hard, too.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

central dogma posted:

I have BLM at 90, but I don't raid with this job. Can anyone comment on this parse that shows no damage from Fire 4? Is it a new way to approach BLM damage or will it be patched out as an unintended gimmick? It appears competitive at least this early in the raid tier.

I don't recall the specific rotation, but I believe they're doing some wacky thing where they use Transpose a bunch and maximize casts of Paradox and Despair instead of bothering with the Fire 4 part.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I haven't touched blm since 80 and can't read japanese, what the heck is this rotation doing?

As far as I can tell the basic "rotation" is you use Blizzard 4 at the start of the fight to get Umbral Hearts (and never lose them because nothing else you cast consumes them), then B3 > Paradox > Transpose > Paradox > Despair > B3 (repeat from here). With Sharpcast T3, ConvertManafont+Despair, and Xenoglossy added in as they're available.

Edit: Apparently I still call Manafont "Convert", possibly since I raided Final Coil as BLM and basically never seriously played it after that.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 29, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Magil Zeal posted:

As far as I can tell the basic "rotation" is you use Blizzard 4 at the start of the fight to get Umbral Hearts (and never lose them because nothing else you cast consumes them), then B3 > Paradox > Transpose > Paradox > Despair > B3 (repeat from here). With Sharpcast T3, Convert+Despair, and Xenoglossy added in as they're available.

Finally, it's the Ice Mage's time to shine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Gotta say, the Endwalker dungeon end boss theme really grew on me. When I first heard it I was disappointed because it didn't go as hard as Insatiable (the Shadowbringers dungeon end boss theme) but now I probably like it just as much.

The mid-boss theme rocks hard, too.

The midboss theme is especially good because of how it carries the general feeling of the endboss theme without simply replicating it. I still love Insatiable because of what a genuinely weird and creative piece of music it is, but the midboss theme drove the basic tune into the ground with how it's more-or-less a carbon copy with vocals and some instruments removed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

looks cool, duh

I haven't touched blm since 80 and can't read japanese, what the heck is this rotation doing?

It’s a meme No Fire 4 rotation by a top BLM parser by skipping AF by dumping everything into Despair, that’s all, it’s like how Ice Mages can technically still do decent damage especially in comparison to an underperforming party

I had to go on The Balance to research this quickly and man, that server is still weird as gently caress sometimes

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 29, 2021

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Edit: Apparently I still call Manafont "Convert", possibly since I raided Final Coil as BLM and basically never seriously played it after that.

Manafont is heretical. Getting MP without paying blood in return is just not right, I tell you what.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Saint Freak posted:

(new raid spoilers) There's at least one Ancient walking around with eyeglasses. Why? Apparently just so he can dramatically ditch them, but why would they even know what glasses are?

Aesthetic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

The midboss theme is especially good because of how it carries the general feeling of the endboss theme without simply replicating it. I still love Insatiable because of what a genuinely weird and creative piece of music it is, but the midboss theme drove the basic tune into the ground with how it's more-or-less a carbon copy with vocals and some instruments removed.

Yeah I didn't like when they added the Shadowbringers mid-boss theme that was just a remix of Insatiable. Was that 5.2? Either way, it kinda drove the theme into the ground and also sapped some of the power out of Insatiable itself. I like the rock remix that they use for the Shadowbringers mid-bosses, but I don't really like it in the context where it's used.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

Yeah I didn't like when they added the Shadowbringers mid-boss theme that was just a remix of Insatiable. Was that 5.2? Either way, it kinda drove the theme into the ground and also sapped some of the power out of Insatiable itself. I like the rock remix that they use for the Shadowbringers mid-bosses, but I don't really like it in the context where it's used.

Yeah, I agree with this. I probably wouldn't have minded if they just added it for the level 80 dungeons, but adding it to all of the levelling dungeons took the steam out of Insatiable for the final bosses for me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Making the 79 trial theme slightly different Insatiable was a mistake the same reason imo, even if it was thematically appropriate. It was a good song that I was absolutely happy to see the back of by Endwalker

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I believe Endwalker has the record for Most Fist Clenching in Cutscenes out of every expansion so far. A lot of people are clenching their fists in this one.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

fist clenching is the new nodding

also from a few pages back: i did the riddle quest in sharlayan without looking up a guide, fear me and respect me

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

It was at the point when they were adding Zenos to Dissidia NT (before it died) and that was one of the new songs and people thought it was cool and why isn’t this in XIV and also around the same time people were having some feedback on the midbosses in ShB using the same old midboss theme and couldn’t they shake it up by now and the two requests were combined.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HackensackBackpack posted:

I believe Endwalker has the record for Most Fist Clenching in Cutscenes out of every expansion so far. A lot of people are clenching their fists in this one.

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't have a camera zoom on the clenching fist every single time.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Someone on the dev team loves the Arthur meme?

I was doing the tank role quest and couldn't help but think of starship troopers NPH it's afraid but with a bigass tree instead

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HackensackBackpack posted:

they also all sound like they are wearing leather gloves when they do it, even if they are not

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I’m going through RDM for the first time since Endwalker hit

What in the world did they do to Acceleration and I don’t get the mana stack stuff if you need to complete the combo anyway to get Verholy/flare. This must have been purely for the melee AoE

Also lmao 6 manification charges loving hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MechaX posted:

What in the world did they do to Acceleration and I don’t get the mana stack stuff if you need to complete the combo anyway to get Verholy/flare. This must have been purely for the melee AoE

Also lmao 6 manification charges loving hell

The mana stack thing is specifically a change for AoE, yes. It doesn't change anything about your single-target melee combo, since you still have to do all three moves to build up three charges.

Also you have 6 Manafication stacks so that it includes your new finisher at 90.

I think the Acceleration change is divisive but I kinda like it for just getting a quick burst of black/white mana with a mini-Swiftcast and guaranteeing a Verfire/Verstone proc when I want it. It takes some getting used to, though.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Technically it means you can still perform the verholy/flare even if you gently caress up your melee combo now, which is handy if you fatfinger a particular action once in a while.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Acceleration change is good, BUT not until you get 2 charges of it. So RDM feels worse at lower levels but great at level cap.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'll be doing another ep of Talking The Red soon enough going over all that, but ultimately, I love the Accel changes. It rolls around charges fast enough and between general procs, the way your finishers proc now, and the Accel charges, there's a lot of flexibility with keeping yourself rolling without Jolt.

It's also hugely important with how they seem to be designing fights now. There's a ton of movement in the EXs, a lot of which doesn't have enough time to finish a complete cast. Accel is tailor-made for these situations now.

Also the new Manafication adds a little more variability and personal choice in it. Use it on CD? Wait for a transition? Use it after the melee parts of your combo? There are lots of options and they might change a lot depending on the fight.

Overall, it's still good ol' RDM but with a little more leeway in how you do anything in a given moment. Your basic rotation isn't going to change but it feels a lot less prone to RNG and everything's been "smoothed" out with options so far. I'm loving it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Steelion posted:

Technically it means you can still perform the verholy/flare even if you gently caress up your melee combo now, which is handy if you fatfinger a particular action once in a while.

This change is amazing. I accidentally hit the second part of the melee combo first all the time. And now you don't get punished for it anymore. It's an extremely nice change.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is Tenacity worth materia-ing for as a tank?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm feeling super lazy today and have been considering buying the level jump for the RDM even though I'm enjoying many other jobs at the moment (so I probably won't).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I love the new RDM cadence and the Accel change is a big part of it. As much as I loved RDM before, it feels even better now even if AOEs are still a little clunky feeling but that's probably just getting used to needing 60/60 for the finishing run. It doesn't hurt that the 90 AF gear looks loving incredible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

rantmo posted:

I love the new RDM cadence and the Accel change is a big part of it. As much as I loved RDM before, it feels even better now even if AOEs are still a little clunky feeling but that's probably just getting used to needing 60/60 for the finishing run. It doesn't hurt that the 90 AF gear looks loving incredible.

This is the thing thing I would change. There doesn't seem to be any real reason for it to be 60 instead of 50 other than to be confusing. I'm fully aware I need 60 and I still accidentally do waste the combo because it's jut so ingrained in me now to go in at 50

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Macaluso posted:

This is the thing thing I would change. There doesn't seem to be any real reason for it to be 60 instead of 50 other than to be confusing. I'm fully aware I need 60 and I still accidentally do waste the combo because it's jut so ingrained in me now to go in at 50

50 doesn't divide by 3 very nicely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:five:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yes lol, this was the 100% correct choice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rantmo posted:

If I had one gripe about RDM, it still feels weird to me that the AoE rotation is the opposite of the single-target one, where you cast the Verthunder/Veraero spell and then dualcast the unaspected one (in this case Impact). I'm used to it now but it's still a little bit awkward to me.

Well, and also I want them to give RDM that cool upgraded version of Moulinet that Alisaie does when you get to play as her, Crimson Savior, the one with the flower effect on it. Maybe they're saving that for 7.0...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Is Tenacity worth materia-ing for as a tank?

If you are trying to optimize damage to meet dps checks in stuff like savage, no; if you want a cheap, comfy build to run ex dungeons and stuff it's pretty effective though, since you can mitigate a lot of damage on the wall-to-wall pulls compared to the avg raid fight

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

I see at least three belts in that picture, they're not gone just in hiding.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Belts are okay as long as they are not around the waist holding up pants.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Harrow posted:

If I had one gripe about RDM, it still feels weird to me that the AoE rotation is the opposite of the single-target one, where you cast the Verthunder/Veraero spell and then dualcast the unaspected one (in this case Impact). I'm used to it now but it's still a little bit awkward to me.

Yeah, that one hosed with me pretty badly when I first picked the class up. Actually, the one thing I really want them to change is the sound effect for Verflare, it's all soggy sounding now and I hate it.

Harrow posted:

Well, and also I want them to give RDM that cool upgraded version of Moulinet that Alisaie does when you get to play as her, Crimson Savior, the one with the flower effect on it. Maybe they're saving that for 7.0...

Even if the effects changed with successive Enchanted Moulinets, something to make it feel cooler like the single-target does.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

they also all sound like they are wearing leather gloves when they do it, even if they are not

Not always, it's not in EW but my favorite fist clench used the bottle pop sound effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Gruckles posted:

I don't recall the specific rotation, but I believe they're doing some wacky thing where they use Transpose a bunch and maximize casts of Paradox and Despair instead of bothering with the Fire 4 part.

here is the rotation: https://twitter.com/imu_yakkuru/status/1471493062279204864

and for fun my ending screenshot (i was waiting for a hrothgar hats mod to update but i got impatient) i think i captured his everlasting vacant stare