Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Smashing Link posted:

Student loan law is so hosed.

What subject of US law isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Handy little chart I saw today that's relevant to a frequent topic of discussion here.

Looks like a repeat of Black Monday would be the biggest scenario where being too heavy in domestic stocks would come back to bite you. Other than that I'm sure US stocks have consistently outperformed international stocks from 2012 to now, so that last stretch is quite a long track record.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I need to put some extra cash into the market (was going to move so had a down payment saved up). Are there any timing tips regarding the new year to be aware of? I.e. are there usually dips or bumps on or around Jan 1st or just the usual market fluctuations?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Timing the market is actually a good thing to do on Jan 3rd. That way you can take advantage of all the rubes trying and failing to time the market on Jan 1.

Some Astrologer posted:

On New Year’s Eve there is a brief window from approximately 1:15-3:00pm EST during which Luna in Sagittarius is besieged by malefics: applying to a partile conjunction to Mars and separating from a partile sextile to Saturn in Aquarius.

Since the market is going to be besieged by malefics right before close on NYE, you want to give it a full day to shake out before getting on during the narrow window of timing while the getting is good.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 27, 2021

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are you telling me Santa rally isn't real?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I just started a new job which has a 403b program with employee match with Transamerica. I have a 401K with my previous employer with Fidelity. What should I do with my previous 401K, let it ride?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DTaeKim posted:

I just started a new job which has a 403b program with employee match with Transamerica. I have a 401K with my previous employer with Fidelity. What should I do with my previous 401K, let it ride?

How are your 401k options with your previous employer? If it's with Fidelity, presumably they're pretty decent (and potentially better than Transamerica). I'd probably just let it ride knowing nothing else.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Anyone who hasn't maxed I Bonds this year would be advised to do so ASAP if they have money in anything lower yielding over the next year (such as savings accounts or bond funds in a taxable account, etc).

Current rate is ~7.1%. Worst case scenario inflation goes to 0% or less during your second 6 month period and you withdraw with a 1 year return of ~3.5%. If inflation remains above average, this will almost certainly outperform almost any nominal bond fund for at least a year, and is 100% treasury.

Must hold for at least a year, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also if you purchase the I Bond now you'll get interest for all of December. So you're only holding it for 11 months.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
What is the max investment for I-bonds?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
$10k per person per year. You can get another $5k by opting to receive them for your tax refund, if you get that much of a refund.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
10k/year, plus another 5k if you overpay your taxes by that amount and take the bonds as your refund.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Note that the tax return ones are paper ones, not in Treasury Direct. They are pretty cool looking although less convenient.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's a way to convert them to electronic ones, I think.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Yes, by mailing them back in. It's just as modern as the rest of TreasuryDirect, but it can be done.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Finally got my old lovely IRA transferred over to Vanguard and just bought as much Target Date 2050 funds as I could. Thanks everyone here for the heads up. By my math, if I do nothing else this move alone saved me like $200,000 in fees and opportunity costs over the course of my lifetime.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yearly rebalancing: complete. :toot:

Does anyone have a cool/sexy way of doing this? I've done my best to consolidate things as much as possible, but we still end up having multiple 401ks/403bs/401s/IRAs across multiple accounts at multiple providers, so I use a spreadsheet and manually enter things. :shrug:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I also use a spreadsheet.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone have a cool/sexy way of doing this? I've done my best to consolidate things as much as possible, but we still end up having multiple 401ks/403bs/401s/IRAs across multiple accounts at multiple providers, so I use a spreadsheet and manually enter things. :shrug:

The cool way to do it is to pay someone 1.5% a year to do it in a spreadsheet for you.

On a more serious note, I also just use a spreadsheet but am only really balancing a single taxable account - both of my retirement accounts are just in a single target date fund. The way my spreadsheet is setup automatically pulls prices from google finance, so the only thing to do is make sure the share counts are updated and it can calculate things like where to allocate new money or how to rebalance.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I have to do the same. It's not too bad, but...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drk posted:

The cool way to do it is to pay someone 1.5% a year to do it in a spreadsheet for you.

Virgin Boglehead: Stresses out about 1.5% AUM fee, rebalances via spreadsheet, doesn't drive a Ferrari.
Chad NWM Advisor: Laughs at piddly 1.5% AUM, has lots of box seats to entertain clients, drives three Ferraris.

Thanks guys, spreadsheet it is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Thanks for the reminder on I-bonds. Almost let it slip past the new year.

Wonder if it'll be worth waiting until April for the next deposit.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

drk posted:

Anyone who hasn't maxed I Bonds this year would be advised to do so ASAP if they have money in anything lower yielding over the next year (such as savings accounts or bond funds in a taxable account, etc).

Current rate is ~7.1%. Worst case scenario inflation goes to 0% or less during your second 6 month period and you withdraw with a 1 year return of ~3.5%. If inflation remains above average, this will almost certainly outperform almost any nominal bond fund for at least a year, and is 100% treasury.

Must hold for at least a year, though.

When is the deadline to have it counted for this year? I’ve been trying to create an account on Treasury Direct for a while now, and Im being forced to get paperwork notarized at the bank.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Needs to be funded by the 31st. Probably too late for this year for you.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Valicious posted:

When is the deadline to have it counted for this year? I’ve been trying to create an account on Treasury Direct for a while now, and Im being forced to get paperwork notarized at the bank.

Yeah, too late. And you've probably seen this mentioned before, but don't get it notarized, that's not sufficient. It needs a medallion or signature guarantee.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

runawayturtles posted:

Yeah, too late. And you've probably seen this mentioned before, but don't get it notarized, that's not sufficient. It needs a medallion or signature guarantee.

My credit union did this for me earlier this year at no charge and with very little hassle (took 5-10 minutes, no appointment needed). I have heard that some banks or branches wont do this even for their own customers, or wont know what you're asking for so you might want to call ahead.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

drk posted:

My credit union did this for me earlier this year at no charge and with very little hassle (took 5-10 minutes, no appointment needed). I have heard that some banks or branches wont do this even for their own customers, or wont know what you're asking for so you might want to call ahead.

I can only speak to my own experience, which was that my local Bank of America branch could not provide it, so they sent me to an appointment at a different branch 45 minutes away. That branch refused to provide it on the reasoning that signature guarantees/medallions are typically for transactions of specific dollar amounts, and an account opening form has no dollar amount.

Of course, other banks have no such issue and will provide it no questions asked, but I wouldn't recommend trying BoA (for this, or for most things).

edit: \/ Perhaps they were bad, I can't say, but they were the branch managers of the two branches.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

runawayturtles posted:

I can only speak to my own experience, which was that my local Bank of America branch could not provide it, so they sent me to an appointment at a different branch 45 minutes away. That branch refused to provide it on the reasoning that signature guarantees/medallions are typically for transactions of specific dollar amounts, and an account opening form has no dollar amount.

Of course, other banks have no such issue and will provide it no questions asked, but I wouldn't recommend trying BoA (for this, or for most things).

I think I got a medallion done at a BofA branch years ago with no problem. It may be the issue that the employee you spoke with was some sort of moron who is not good at their job. To say medallions are common would be overstating it, but they are used for account openings and certain kinds of transactions routinely, and any bank employee responsible for processing them should know that.

I find BofA no better or worse than any other huge megacorp bank, and their app is fine, so I stick with it (for checking only and maybe their free credit card if I go back to it from the Sapphire Reserve).

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

For the treasury form 5444, ask the bank to stamp it with the stamp they use for cashing paper bonds. I had 4 banks turn me away because medallion seals are for assets. You want the paper savings bond stamp.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Thanks for the reminder on I-bonds. Almost let it slip past the new year.

Wonder if it'll be worth waiting until April for the next deposit.

Similar thanks. Got my 10k

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Inner Light posted:

I think I got a medallion done at a BofA branch years ago with no problem.

I also needed one a while back and ran into the same problem, so it's not just the branch. Something about BoA and medallion signatures changed a few years ago. I looked online and couldn't find out what happened, just that they pretty much stopped doing them at all. I think the only exception is if you're a Merryl Lynch customer.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I got mine through USBank without any notarization required.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

I got mine through USBank without any notarization required.

Which is good, because a notarization would be pointless.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just created an account, entered my bank info, and was done. Walla.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Got my 10k as well. Thanks goons!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ugh. I really want to do I-bond, but the no withdrawal allowed before 1 year thing is bothering me too much to do it. I just don't have the mass of cash I need to feel comfortable saying "there is absolutely no way I will need any of this 10k for a year". :(

Yes I have a separate ~6 month emergency fund with cash, but it's still bothering me.

BTW is there a change that is making it more attractive to do this year vs. in January, some sort of cutoff?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Inner Light posted:

Ugh. I really want to do I-bond, but the no withdrawal allowed before 1 year thing is bothering me too much to do it. I just don't have the mass of cash I need to feel comfortable saying "there is absolutely no way I will need any of this 10k for a year". :(

Yes I have a separate ~6 month emergency fund with cash, but it's still bothering me.

BTW is there a change that is making it more attractive to do this year vs. in January, some sort of cutoff?

The cutoff at January only matters if you need to max out the $10K limit and want another $10K for 2022. But if you are only planning to put $10K or less for now, then it doesn't matter. The 7.12% composite rate is good for several more months, and you get that rate for 6 months from the month that you put it in so you won't be missing that sweet rate.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Inner Light posted:

You know there's no requirement that you put in $10K all at once, right? The minimum transaction size is $25. Put in what you feel you comfortable locking up and build it up over time? It's a journey of a thousand miles and all that.

Inner Light posted:

It's just the end-of-year limit deadline, like tax day for IRAs. You get a $10K limit for 2021, so if December 31 comes and goes you lose that space, but you get another 10k limit for 2022, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I think I Bonds went viral on the personal finance corner of the internet over the last few months because inflation has temporarily made the rate sound amazing. If/when inflation goes back down that won't be the case any more. Historically that rate has ranged from zero to 10%. It will never be lower than inflation though so savings in I Bonds will never lose value like your savings account is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also came up recently because they only announced the 7.12% rate on November 1. Previous six months it had been 3.54% which wasn’t too exciting given all the savings bond caveats.