Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's hard not to look at this and tell the anxiety demon that says "you'll never be good enough to do this" to shut the gently caress up

Tell yourself its impressionist art, works for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Two test models today. Currently all of the stormtroopers are airbrushed to this level, so now I just need to do the black which goes pretty quick, and then highlight the white which takes a fairly long time.

The speeder bike also took a fair amount of time because I didn't really know what the scheme was. I kept finding new details that I missed or that weren't correct, but this is what the final product will look like for the squad.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Revelation 2-13 posted:

That’s looks great. How are the edge highlights done on the walker? They’re like unbelievably consistent. Pencil? Dry brush? Edge of brush? Regardless, super well done.

If you look closely, yeah, it's an edge highlight. If you look at the whole thing, it's just a 5m combat walker scaled down to tabletop size, lighting and all. drat well done, well on the way to photoreal in a miniature.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished painting some piles of Nurglings.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Verisimilidude posted:

Two test models today. Currently all of the stormtroopers are airbrushed to this level, so now I just need to do the black which goes pretty quick, and then highlight the white which takes a fairly long time.

The speeder bike also took a fair amount of time because I didn't really know what the scheme was. I kept finding new details that I missed or that weren't correct, but this is what the final product will look like for the squad.

Your stuff is fantastic. I hope to someday achieve this level of excellence. Your lighting/shadows in particular are superb. Do you work off of photos/stills/art or do you work with zenithal highlighting or some completely different method (e.g. "I see the light in my brain and just follow its instructions")?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Refind Chaos posted:

Your stuff is fantastic. I hope to someday achieve this level of excellence. Your lighting/shadows in particular are superb. Do you work off of photos/stills/art or do you work with zenithal highlighting or some completely different method (e.g. "I see the light in my brain and just follow its instructions")?

Thanks for the compliments! I establish all of my volumes with an airbrush and I've been working a lot on improving my zenithal highlighting. I've recently started adding undertones with different colors shot from opposite of the direction of the zenithal light. It helps build out volumes more and make the model look more 3-dimensional, which for something that is 90% one color can really help make the end result nicer to look at. It also makes mono-color models look more visually interesting and saves a tremendous amount of time on laying down basecoats, especially on models that are mostly one color. I managed to establish the white (with volumes) on 14 storm troopers and 2 speeder bike riders in about an hour using this method, so now all I need to do is block in the black, highlight it, and do edge highlights with white ink.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Anyone had issues with minis just not waiting to take primer? I needed a break from what I’ve been working on so I cracked open the bloodborne game I’d been gift a while ago and started priming the models. They did not like it.

I was airbrushing Stynylrez and it just dropped on top the model like big dots and wouldn’t flow. I thought maybe it was the primer or the brush so I changed brushes, shook them primer even harder, and added flow improver. Same issue. The primer landed on the model and just stuck there and clumped.

I grabbed some other minis I needed to prime to test the issue and had no problem. Nice even prime with no clumping. I literally could not get the Bloodborne minis to accept airbrushed primer without clumping.

I tried a rattle can instead and it went in with no issue. Weirdest experience I’ve had trying to prime a model. Anyone know what could have caused those specific minis to not take the primer well?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

did you wash the mini before priming? sometimes release agent sticks around from when the mini was cast in its mould, and prevents anything from adhering to them

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Verisimilidude posted:

Thanks for the compliments! I establish all of my volumes with an airbrush and I've been working a lot on improving my zenithal highlighting. I've recently started adding undertones with different colors shot from opposite of the direction of the zenithal light. It helps build out volumes more and make the model look more 3-dimensional, which for something that is 90% one color can really help make the end result nicer to look at. It also makes mono-color models look more visually interesting and saves a tremendous amount of time on laying down basecoats, especially on models that are mostly one color. I managed to establish the white (with volumes) on 14 storm troopers and 2 speeder bike riders in about an hour using this method, so now all I need to do is block in the black, highlight it, and do edge highlights with white ink.

Oh interesting, a nadir shadowing... That's a really great idea. Also that is an amazingly quick turn around for a group that large, and here I thought I was doing alright with ~1.5 hours per figure. I just started learning to use an airbrush so once I get more comfortable with it I will likely give this a try.

Thanks a lot for the detail explanation of how you achieve your results!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Did my first freehand to complete my Portabello Platoon Poxwalker command section! There's some obvious rough edges, like making the banner too dark to function as a banner in the first place, but that's learning experiences for you. I'll be able to base all ten tomorrow and this project will finally be complete. I even have some airbrush spider serum that makes convincing 35mm webs, so hopefully I can mix that with a little color and really spook up the bases.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

jesus WEP posted:

did you wash the mini before priming? sometimes release agent sticks around from when the mini was cast in its mould, and prevents anything from adhering to them

Seems to be the issue. I normally wash but I hadn’t done that for this box. Quick wash and things are sticking properly. Thanks!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Did my first freehand to complete my Portabello Platoon Poxwalker command section! There's some obvious rough edges, like making the banner too dark to function as a banner in the first place, but that's learning experiences for you. I'll be able to base all ten tomorrow and this project will finally be complete. I even have some airbrush spider serum that makes convincing 35mm webs, so hopefully I can mix that with a little color and really spook up the bases.

i am digging the colors you used for the bones! can you tell me what you used?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Darth Vader and some WIP stormtroopers for today!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got a 3D printer last month and finally got around to painting something I printed with it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Verisimilidude posted:

man i can never get the facial details on storms right, they always end up looking like clowns

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i am digging the colors you used for the bones! can you tell me what you used?

Thanks! It's just Naggaroth Night base, then thin coats of Mephiston Red and Trollslayer Orange, and a Flash Git Yellow highlight. It works a little better with 50/50 intermediate shades but it almost looks like decaying near-skeletons with orange-black bits of flesh still adhered so I wanted to do it to a whole unit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

man i can never get the facial details on storms right, they always end up looking like clowns

Krennic: Are we blind?! SEND IN THE CLOWNS!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

That's some dank OSL on vader my dude

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm grab bag of random minis

halfling from Warp Miniatures

stormvermin from Ankylo Miniatures

wood elf from Forest Dragon

zombie from Forest Dragon

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 28, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think youve answered before but what brush do you use at that scale?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm grab bag of random minis

halfling from Warp Miniatures

stormvermin from Ankylo Miniatures

wood elf from Forest Dragon

zombie from Forest Dragon

Do you paint under a binocular microscope or something because wtf

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i've tried visual aids, but they hinder more than they help. they're just smaller than what folks are used to painting, they're not actually that hard if you have a good brush!

occasionally i go back to 28mm and its like painting giants. just huge areas of bare, boring surface

punishedkissinger posted:

i think youve answered before but what brush do you use at that scale?

i use a series 7 size 0. size isn't really as important as being to maintain a good pointed tip

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So, odd question - Anyone now a source for 28mm flintlock muskets or customizable Napoleonic minis? 3D printing is fine, maybe even preferred.

I'm looking to get into The Silver Bayonet and I already have Anvil Industries Vampire Hunters. While I'm sure I can make the drum-mag crossbows work, I'm hoping I can get some muskets to put on them or to differentiate a rifleman or something.

Edit: Also maybe shakos?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i've tried visual aids, but they hinder more than they help. they're just smaller than what folks are used to painting, they're not actually that hard if you have a good brush!

occasionally i go back to 28mm and its like painting giants. just huge areas of bare, boring surface

i use a series 7 size 0. size isn't really as important as being to maintain a good pointed tip

What do you even use these for, you know, other than painting.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Saga: Age of Magic

theoretically anyway, im not actively playing any tabletop games at the moment, but hope to this year

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Saga: Age of Magic

theoretically anyway, im not actively playing any tabletop games at the moment, but hope to this year

Not many days left, better hurry :v:

I have some I think 15mm scifi gifted to me by a friend over 2 years ago now. Maybe I should paint them just to get an idea about these little things.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished the stormtroopers! Just gotta finish one more speeder bike and I'm done with the empire half of the Star Wars Legion starter set.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got a process question for you amazing artists. For painting a camouflage cloak, do you paint the camo pattern before or after you do the shadows and highlights? I'm thinking of putting the camo pattern on, then do the shading and highlights, since light reflections would obscure the pattern on the cloak. Any thoughts?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Paint the pattern, then hit it with a wash. You shouldn't need to highlight it, but you can go over the raised areas in the original color and it'll look good.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Funzo posted:

Got a process question for you amazing artists. For painting a camouflage cloak, do you paint the camo pattern before or after you do the shadows and highlights? I'm thinking of putting the camo pattern on, then do the shading and highlights, since light reflections would obscure the pattern on the cloak. Any thoughts?

For my Fallschirmjägers I painted the "base" colour of the camo (grey/beige) and washed it brown, then re-applied the colour including highlights. Then I applied the secondary colour (green) on top of it, and higlighted it. Then I applied the tertiary colour (brown) andh ighlighted it. It's a bit of extra work but it helps making the colours tie into each other.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Darren Latham had a good video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vJQlrGv_Y&t=852s

Build up a recess glaze darker than your darkest camo color, then a highlight glaze lighter than your lightest color. If you build up the glaze layers instead of just washing, you can vary the brightness and darkness depending on how high or deep the fold or wrinkle is.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Loden Taylor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vJQlrGv_Y&t=852s

Build up a recess glaze darker than your darkest camo color, then a highlight glaze lighter than your lightest color. If you build up the glaze layers instead of just washing, you can vary the brightness and darkness depending on how high or deep the fold or wrinkle is.

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind to try out. Good to know I'm not way off in my thinking.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have some Vallejo acrylic/polyurethane surface primer, should it be thinned or go on straight out of the bottle? It's a bit wet and chilly for spray primer today.

this would be for wh40k plastic minis

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

Not_Darren_Latham has made all his videos "content made for kids" so they can't even be saved to playlists or anything. WTF.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

AndyElusive posted:

Not_Darren_Latham has made all his videos "content made for kids" so they can't even be saved to playlists or anything. WTF.

That's a youtube fuckup, they are pulling a lot of bullshit again.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Filthy Hans posted:

I have some Vallejo acrylic/polyurethane surface primer, should it be thinned or go on straight out of the bottle? It's a bit wet and chilly for spray primer today.

Straight from the bottle, no thinning. Blow on any bubbles that form to pop them. If it peels or streaks its past its shelf life.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did some stargrave for a friend.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Filthy Hans posted:

VVV This VVV

Cat Face Joe posted:

Straight from the bottle, no thinning. Blow on any bubbles that form to pop them. If it peels or streaks its past its shelf life.

I'd just add to make sure you rinse your brush before dipping it in the pot, and periodically during the priming. For reference I brush prime all my minis with Vallejo Primer.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Can I get an opinion on this airbrush?

https://www.michaels.com/neo-cn-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush/10366604.html

Thinking of pulling the trigger for 50 bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

protomexican posted:

Can I get an opinion on this airbrush?

https://www.michaels.com/neo-cn-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush/10366604.html

Thinking of pulling the trigger for 50 bux.

I've never used that airbrush, so take the following with that in mind (I started with a cheap masters brush, moved up to a Badger Patriot i got on sale and just added a second-hand Grex xGi3):

I believe the manufacture of that model is outsourced to China to meet that price point. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you, but there seems to be a big gulf in quality between the neo and the eclipse. If you're upgrading your starter airbrush, you may want to hold out for a good deal on a nicer quality piece of kit.
If you're going to need to shell out for a compressor anyway, just get one that comes with a gravity feed brush in the box.