Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

^^^ I am a Dr but not the useful kind unless you need an emergency interplanetary magnetic field operation.

I understand 95-96 is ok not superfit but not worrying. It rarely goes below 95. I'm overweight but no other underlying conditions. I did lose 14kg May-Aug then regained it Sep-Nov, but the SPOX didn't change. (But there has been change occasionally so I know it's not stuck on that figure!). My pulse is the thing that really changed with weight loss/gain.

I can't remember what came with mine now in terms of instructions, it cost about £16 or so IIRC so not a super expensive one. I'm more interested in consistency than absolute values to be fair.

If you have darker skin they're a lot less reliable apparently.

PS I always use the same finger and try to get it in the same position each time. I did have bad experience with a blood pressure monitor when I had very high blood pressure about 15 years ago (solved - not with medication, diet or exercise, but by the 'simple' method of quitting work and going to live abroad). I spent £50 on a monitor at my doc's suggestion but found if I moved my arm up or down by just as little as a cm here or there, it would record my bp as being either horrifically high - like my blood was about to burst out of my vessels - or 'are you alive' low. I sent it back.

PPS I do have fun with the pulse bit though - seeing if I can lower my pulse by breathing differently or relaxing various muscles though. Can usually drop it up to 5bpm by these methods.

Anything below 98% suggests something is not quite right with your lungs. It can be perfectly "normal" (as in not something to get worked up about) if you're a current/ex-smoker or morbidly obese or have some other condition affecting your lungs. If you don't have a good explanation for it though I would definitely get it investigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Lateral flow tests available to order if you do it now (weren't earlier). Just ordered AT 17:03 , NOT 1703 tests Twisto! (post below)

Z the IVth posted:

Anything below 98% suggests something is not quite right with your lungs. It can be perfectly "normal" (as in not something to get worked up about) if you're a current/ex-smoker or morbidly obese or have some other condition affecting your lungs. If you don't have a good explanation for it though I would definitely get it investigated.

I had a think about this - ever since I was a kid I've had a tendency to respiratory issues (colds always went to my chest, coughs that last weeks etc) so you're probably right but there's nothing unusual about it for me. If it did drop below 93 for more than a couple of hours say, then I'd be on to the doc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 29, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

That's true for true saturation (measured by arterial blood gases) - for a reading from a pulse oximeter, especially in an older person (who will have worse circulation to the extremities) anything above 92 is fine as long as it's a) constant and b) not accompanied by any symptoms (breathlessness, confusion, etc).

(Not a doctor, am a hypochondriac who spent years looking after parents with COPD)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lateral flow tests available to order if you do it now (weren't earlier). Just ordered 17:03.

Well no wonder there's a shortage if you're going around ordering almost two thousand of the buggers!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1476235789675675652

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Catching up from pre-Christmas and to defend that poster a few pages back, we've had a long history of lab leaks causing local and global misery so it's not far-fetched to ask about the Chinese one https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-05-27/covid-19-and-lab-leak-history-smallpox-h1n1-sars

But the general consensus of "why should we as a thread care" is also pretty valid given we're not going to prove poo poo one way or another, and the fash are furiously masturbating to the idea that the UK/US death tolls are from the loving SINOS and not because their big wet leaders have impossible egos and brains made of cheese curds.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In general the reason I don't like to talk about the lab leak is because

Tesseraction posted:

Ceterum censeo the people are stupid.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They need to be sectioned, in how many sections..... i leave up to you. :argh:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
whoever the daft fucker walking off with that box is should be done for whatever the law against walking off with boxes from medical facilities is

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1476249407947427841
(e: ignore the text. it's the only copy of that video I could find on twitter)

https://twitter.com/mellowmark/status/1476248021415440387

https://twitter.com/marclister3k/status/1476192089750872068

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

whoever the daft fucker walking off with that box is should be done for whatever the law against walking off with boxes from medical facilities is
Might fall under simony, as they're abusing a transferable office.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Funny how they are not being kettled innit?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Words can't express how much I hate these fuckers.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My day six lateral flow came back positive, darn it!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Words can't express how much I hate these fuckers.

:agreed:

It's literal terrorism

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lots of conspiracy theories are silly but at least consistent. If they're going to arguing that vaccines are a tool of genocide though they might want to explain why they're so poo poo at murdering people. If they're killing us where are the bodies? Or is the angle that it causes infertility or something, which if so just sounds like they smoked a bit too much hash while watching Utopia.

E: and let's face it if anyone were trying to do mass sterilisation campaign the rich certainly wouldn't be getting first dibs and we'd be seeing a lot more enthusiastic attitudes towards getting the things to low income countries.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 29, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Funny how they are not being kettled innit?

Yeah, mention something about killing MPs and the filth rock up like they've developed teleportation; harrass NHS staff and the plod can't be hosed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
those security staff showed remarkable restraint, i'd have been minded to run at them cunts just swinging an old brick in a sock in each arm :black101:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You'd think after publicly calling for the murder of MPs you might have some cops showing up to your protest. Apparently not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Lots of conspiracy theories are silly but at least consistent. If they're going to arguing that vaccines are a tool of genocide though they might want to explain why they're so poo poo at murdering people. If they're killing us where are the bodies? Or is the angle that it causes infertility or something, which if so just sounds like they smoked a bit too much hash while watching Utopia.

E: and let's face it if anyone were trying to do mass sterilisation campaign the rich certainly wouldn't be getting first dibs and we'd be seeing a lot more enthusiastic attitudes towards getting the things to low income countries.
The Covid virus is fake to scare everyone into getting the vaccine, which actually primes your immune system so that you'll be instantly killed by a massive immune response to the actual virus they release later.

The rich are getting saline shots.

And they're not targeting low income countries because those are the people that will replace you after the real virus because it's always White Genocide once you go deep enough.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
You'd think some of those would be mutually exclusive but I guess that never stopped them before.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The idea that our current government could organise a global conspiracy is hilarious

Matt Hancock couldn't even get away with having a bit on the side in his office

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Had this pop up when I was trying to relax earlier and man, things aren't getting better are they :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chu6D3aM4Z4

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If you have a pulse oximeter it’s a good idea to get a baseline reading when you’re well

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

The idea that our current government could organise a global conspiracy is hilarious

Matt Hancock couldn't even get away with having a bit on the side in his office

what if the conspiracy is to make humanity collectively stupider

makes u think

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/keeptheban_/status/1476227890371043340

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've just received an email from North London NHS (I've volunteered as a steward a couple of times for them which is how they have my details) asking me if I fancy training to be a vaccinator, no medical training or experience required. Things have got to be *really* loving poo poo if this is the level of desperation.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've just received an email from North London NHS (I've volunteered as a steward a couple of times for them which is how they have my details) asking me if I fancy training to be a vaccinator, no medical training or experience required. Things have got to be *really* loving poo poo if this is the level of desperation.

Dear Random Person,
Do you wish to stick needles into other peoples arms?
If so, we have the unpaid career for you!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Dear Random Person,
If so, we have the unpaid career for you! join Fetlife

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Dear Random Person,
If so, we have the unpaid career for you!

Funnily enough they *are* offering not just paid shifts, but also pay for the training and onboarding days.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm a vaccinator and if it's anything like a year ago, you have to do a whole load of e-learning all about the immune system and each individual vaccine, which is interesting but much more detail than you'll ever need. I have overheard my fellow vaccinators regurgitating this and I guarantee you people with a needle phobia do not want to know the volume of the liquid about to be injected into them.

The practical training was a day course that was probably about 50% safeguarding and infection control, and 50% first aid and vaccinating. There was a huge mix on my course from people with loads of experience (vets, nurses) to people who had a first aid at work certificate and frankly looked terrified at the idea of someone dropping in front of them needing CPR.

They've relaxed a lot since the beginning. On my first vaccination shift I had to do an oral exam with the Health Care Professional on site (a mix of vaccine facts and first aid knowledge) and be supervised by them for the first dozen or so injections, so that I could be formally signed off on both vaccinating and using the awful, unintuitive computer system. The last shift I did was at a large vaccination centre and I was paired with someone who had been trained at the beginning of this year. He'd not been able to book a shift in the last 8 months, and was allocated as my 'buddy' to be trained. He watched me do a few as a refresher, then I supervised him, and that was it.

I'd recommend it! It is *intense* in some centres. Be prepared for criers and fainters, and in big centres ask if there's a bed where you can give them the vaccine lying down (and give them a biscuit before to raise their blood sugar slightly). And nobody will mention what to do if anti-vaxxers storm the barricades because we're all pretending they aren't getting more and more brazen.

Edit: just seen you've been offered paid shifts. It might be different for those, I'm a volunteer. If it's paid you're less likely to be mocked by the NHS staff on overtime pay

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

And nobody will mention what to do if anti-vaxxers storm the barricades because we're all pretending they aren't getting more and more brazen.
You can use reasonable force to defend yourself from harm in a public place without duty to retreat.
You can improvise almost anything as a weapon, but it gets sticky if there's suspicion you brought it along only to use as a weapon.
They're terrified of either the vaccine or needles or both.

I'm sure those three can fit together somehow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm a vaccinator and if it's anything like a year ago, you have to do a whole load of e-learning all about the immune system and each individual vaccine, which is interesting but much more detail than you'll ever need. I have overheard my fellow vaccinators regurgitating this and I guarantee you people with a needle phobia do not want to know the volume of the liquid about to be injected into them.

The practical training was a day course that was probably about 50% safeguarding and infection control, and 50% first aid and vaccinating. There was a huge mix on my course from people with loads of experience (vets, nurses) to people who had a first aid at work certificate and frankly looked terrified at the idea of someone dropping in front of them needing CPR.

They've relaxed a lot since the beginning. On my first vaccination shift I had to do an oral exam with the Health Care Professional on site (a mix of vaccine facts and first aid knowledge) and be supervised by them for the first dozen or so injections, so that I could be formally signed off on both vaccinating and using the awful, unintuitive computer system. The last shift I did was at a large vaccination centre and I was paired with someone who had been trained at the beginning of this year. He'd not been able to book a shift in the last 8 months, and was allocated as my 'buddy' to be trained. He watched me do a few as a refresher, then I supervised him, and that was it.

I'd recommend it! It is *intense* in some centres. Be prepared for criers and fainters, and in big centres ask if there's a bed where you can give them the vaccine lying down (and give them a biscuit before to raise their blood sugar slightly). And nobody will mention what to do if anti-vaxxers storm the barricades because we're all pretending they aren't getting more and more brazen.

Edit: just seen you've been offered paid shifts. It might be different for those, I'm a volunteer. If it's paid you're less likely to be mocked by the NHS staff on overtime pay

I'm happy to continue with my unpaid chair-pointing activities - wearing hi-viz and ordering people around soothes a deep part of my soul, and there's one site where I get to carry a clipboard too!

The funny thing is as a steward that I've definitely done a *lot* more first aid - sticking plasters on people mostly, but also helping fainters and a completely unrelated hand injury - than the actual vaccinators or really anyone on site (obviously a fair chunk of that first aid is just shouting for help from actual medics, but they don't get to do the plaster-sticking and water-fetching so I'm basically a doctor now).

Also a bit of mild bouncer work, OAPs can get really fighty sometimes. Only one encounter with antivaxers though, at the London Stadium when they all turned up and started haranguing the queues.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You can use reasonable force to defend yourself from harm in a public place without duty to retreat.
You can improvise almost anything as a weapon, but it gets sticky if there's suspicion you brought it along only to use as a weapon.
They're terrified of either the vaccine or needles or both.

I'm sure those three can fit together somehow.

After you stab them in self defense make sure to remind them to drink plenty as it helps the nanobots.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to at least play with the Christmas Number 1 effortpost I mentioned last week and I've already fallen down a very deep rabbithole marked "What the flying gently caress was happening in 1953?"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dugcam/status/1476179293646602249

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I wonder what proportion of antivaxxers are just scared of needles and looking for a way to make turn their refusal to get injected into some principled political mission when they're actually just big old crybabies

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm starting to at least play with the Christmas Number 1 effortpost I mentioned last week and I've already fallen down a very deep rabbithole marked "What the flying gently caress was happening in 1953?"

None of those duplicate songs were the original artists. Swedish Rhapsody is from like 1908, Answer Me was originally recorded in German, and I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus was originally released the previous year. I'm guessing that a version of Swedish Rhapsody was released that got popular for some reason and then people ended up buying copies of two different versions - maybe the older one was re-released or something? Answer me was presumably a successful song in Germany so two different people decided to do it in English, and I'm not really sure about I Saw Mommy but probably something similar.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/NewsForAIl/status/1476195393235001348?t=l3oH3WNHGju_QzqKP2PZcg&s=19

The most normal island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Lol this was literally the number two 'News' article on the Beeb's website, right behind Oops! All Covid.

All culture war, all the time.