Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol dude, them abusing it is one thing, but part of it was also because medical providers needed the protection because we had actual incidents of patients literally never having any charting done, any mar information being updated, and literally just out in a bed and a nurse taking care of them and 20 other patients at a time in hospital. Nursing homes using it to protect themselves was just what they loving do because they wanted protection for there being 1 aide and 1 nurse for 70patients.

Like, April and May were a loving hellscape in the areas of the first wave, no one had any idea what to expect or do. Staff were out left and right with serious serious symptoms, you had staff taking care of dying coworkers they worked with the week before. Nothing describes how it was to work then (or now to alot of extant) and how many people actively were worried that they could be sued or lose their license because they couldn't provide the care that typically is expected of them in normal times except now to triple patient loads. It's one reason those laws were out on the books.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the basic inferential problem for health authorities is that for the past two years, covid-19 and the pandemic situation more generally have been changing faster than we can peer review and publish articles.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lol dude, them abusi g it is one thing, but part of it was also because medical providers needed the protection because we had actual incidents of patients literally never having any charting done, any mar information being updated, and literally just out in a bed and a nurse taking care of them and 20 other patients at a time in hospital. Nursing homes using it to protect themselves was just what they loving do because they wanted protection for there being 1 aide and 1 nurse for 70patients.

https://portal.ct.gov/LTCOP/Content/Advocacy-Center/Nursing-Home-Immunity

quote:

On April 7th Governor Lamont released Executive Order 7V. This order grants nursing homes immunity from civil liability even when facilities are " unable to provide the level or manner of care that otherwise would have been required in the absence of the COVID-19 pandemic." COVID-19 was an unexpected and unprecedented crisis, and although many nursing homes did their best to protect residents and keep them healthy, residents and their family members need to have the ability to hold facilities accountable if they did not take necessary precautions to protect the people in their care. On January 26th, he extended this immunity through April 20th, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Nothing you posted disproves what I'm saying?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

https://academic.oup.com/innovateage/article/5/Supplement_1/159/6465543

Can't find the actual study anywhere, just the abstract, but according to this 28 states adopted these policies. The abstract says they looked at which percentage of democratic legislators were involved but that information isn't anywhere I could find.

Certainly seems likely it was bipartisan if 28 states did it given the national makeup of state governments which lean Republican, but it does seem like splitting hairs at this point, so apologies for jumping on your post.

If anyone can find the actual text or that percentage though, I'd be interested to see how it actually breaks down.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

So specifically New York dems under Cuomo, do you have evidence that this is something "Dems" are pursuing across the board or?

I have about 50 or 60 links I collected during the first six months of the pandemic that are mainstream news stories directly attributing nursing-home deaths to various governors' actions, from executive orders to shield them from legal liability (even when preceding the pandemic or not directly caused by covid); suspending in-person state inspections waaaaay longer than they should've been; and not providing nursing homes with PPE or testing back when it would've mattered.

This goes far beyond NY state; something like 80 percent of MN's deaths during the first wave of the pandemic were in nursing homes, while it was a more modest 60 percent in PA.

Offhand, the states I remember being particularly egregious on the issue were IL, NJ, NY, MI, PA, MN, CA (for a short while) & MA. All but one are led by Democratic governors. The for-profit nursing home lobby is tremendously influential at the state level.

Let me know if you want me to post the links; I've already posted many in the various uspol threads.

eta: They weren't even testing workers at most nursing homes till several months into the pandemic..

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 29, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That seems so reasonable.

Like it seems like you have switched your whole personality to wrap around and say "dems bad", like in every other post you are in favor of the government making giant sweeping massive changes on the belief covid is bad and potentially worse than ever imagined. Then you look back at over covid and are mad.... governments tried to make big sweeping changes based on the idea covid was going to be a bigger deal than it was????

Like "laws no longer matter, just do the best you can" is the exact advice you give when hospitals are going to be apocalyptic, the fact they basically never were to that degree is what made it a bad call.

Like in the world where 40,000+ people were on ventilators in one city in one month are you gonna be suing people for not giving normal standards of care?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I'm only pointing out the Dems were providing cover for Nursing Homes, especially early on in the Pandemic.

https://www.quarles.com/publications/covid-19-illinois-executive-order-grants-civil-immunity-to-assisted-living-providers/

quote:

Governor J.B. Pritzker issued Executive Order 2020-19 ("EO 2020-19") on April 1, 2020, granting civil immunity to health care facilities, health care professionals, and health care volunteers who render assistance in support of the state’s response to COVID-19, except when such care rises to the level of gross negligence or willful misconduct.

There is a long list of facilities that received protections under EO 2020-19, including skilled nursing facilities and any government-operated site providing health care services established for the purpose of responding to the COVID-19 outbreak, such as alternate care facilities. Assisted living facilities, an industry particularly hard hit by COVID-19, were not included in the list of facilities in EO 2020-19. However, on April 30, 2020, in Executive Order 2020-33 ("EO 2020-33"), the governor reissued EO 2020-19 and amended it to expand the immunity to both supportive living facilities and assisted living facilities. The immunity in Illinois is broad and extends to health care volunteers, including medical and nursing students who are supporting a health care facility in its pandemic response.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Like this is just you trying to scream Dems bad when at a crisis point the state offered protections to medical professionals in order to provide care when they could not perform the tasks required of them sue to patient loads, safety, and uncertainty of the virus.

Irregardless of how the nursing homes facilities then twisted it for their interests, it actively was done to PROTECT healthcare workers in order to make it so many would keep coming to work. Also to protect the nursing homes so they wouldn't close (that's a whole nother can of worms but the state did not want a nh to close and dump those residents and actively can't take over one that decides to close it's doors)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

I have about 50 or 60 links I collected during the first six months of the pandemic that are mainstream news stories directly attributing nursing-home deaths to various governors' actions, from executive orders to shield them from legal liability (even when preceding the pandemic or not directly caused by covid); suspending in-person state inspections waaaaay longer than they should've been; and not providing nursing homes with PPE or testing back when it would've mattered.

This goes far beyond NY state; something like 80 percent of MN's deaths during the first wave of the pandemic were in nursing homes, while it was a more modest 60 percent in PA.

Offhand, the states I remember being particularly egregious on the issue were IL, NJ, NY, MI, PA, MN, CA (for a short while) & MA. All but one are led by Democratic governors. The for-profit nursing home lobby is tremendously influential at the state level.

Let me know if you want me to post the links; I've already posted many in the various uspol threads.

Dems are the party of Capital, so I can certainly believe it.

CDC's shortened quarantine guideline is along similar lines: bunch of high-powered CEOs complained to the administration about the 10-day isolation period, and they got their way.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Exactly what is the point of this? It's literally just one guy spamming links that he feels are bad at this point to justify DEMS BAD DEMS WANTED TO KILL ELDERLY when it was happening across the board in many states, and it actively started in blue states because the pandemic was centered in the NYC metro area and Washington when the first wave hit

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This is getting silly. I stated "Recall when Dems gave cover for nursing homes killing the elderly?" I provided evidence as requested.

Now people are changing their tune suggesting it was a good thing the Dems provided cover. Please make up your minds.

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: They weren't even testing workers at most nursing homes till several months into the pandemic..

Thank you Willa.

vvvvvv ABSOLUTELY. Just because I'm pointing out the Dems provided cover for nursing homes, I'm not suddenly defending Republicans. They are just as evil.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 29, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
A politician can be a piece of poo poo regardless of political affiliation.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
And loving lol, a nursing home is a petri dish for everything, once covid entered one it spreads like wildfire much like how tb that gets into a nursing home population does

The fact that some areas saw high death rates is also very easy to correlate to high comorbids and health issues that are prevalent in a nursing home. Guess what being loving bed bound and on chronic O2 has poo poo outcomes with covid. It's not a loving blue state issue it happens across the board.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm going to skip an effort post in the likely event it'll be shrugged off as " :qq: dems bad :qq: " but those stories were the ones I was tracking like a hawk in the round of the pandemic while everyone was laughing about trump drinking bleach or w/e.

(eta: and yes, not all of those links are directly related to dem governors' senior massacres.)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That's all loving garbage that isn't even want your trying to push, and directly related to guess what! Covid loving kills elderly patients pretty bad!!!!

Again WTF is the point of this?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

^^^^^ chill bro

Professor Beetus posted:

https://academic.oup.com/innovateage/article/5/Supplement_1/159/6465543

Can't find the actual study anywhere, just the abstract, but according to this 28 states adopted these policies. The abstract says they looked at which percentage of democratic legislators were involved but that information isn't anywhere I could find.

Certainly seems likely it was bipartisan if 28 states did it given the national makeup of state governments which lean Republican, but it does seem like splitting hairs at this point, so apologies for jumping on your post.

If anyone can find the actual text or that percentage though, I'd be interested to see how it actually breaks down.

Hey no worries. poo poo is nuts out there and we are all just venting, knowing there is very little we can do when the ruling parties (Dems AND Republicans) don't care about us.

Wear N95 masks folks and take a far more cautious approach to the lax guidelines of the CDC.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm going to skip an effort post in the likely event it'll be shrugged off as " :qq: dems bad :qq: " but those stories were the ones I was tracking like a hawk in the round of the pandemic while everyone was laughing about trump drinking bleach or w/e.

(eta: and yes, not all of those links are directly related to dem governors' senior massacres.)

Again, according to the abstract I found, it ended up being 28 states in total. So while it was likely to be bipartisan based on the national distribution of state legislators/governors, I don't really have a problem with VBC's original statement. Mea culpa. If folks want to argue otherwise, so be it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cool, my work just announced they're changing their guidelines to align with the CDC's business friendly change. So even if someone wants to do the sensible thing and isolate for 10 days, our employer will now force them back at 5. Didn't see that coming!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That's all loving garbage that isn't even want your trying to push, and directly related to guess what! Covid loving kills elderly patients pretty bad!!!!

Translation?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Cool, my work just announced they're changing their guidelines to align with the CDC's business friendly change. So even if someone wants to do the sensible thing and isolate for 10 days, our employer will now force them back at 5. Didn't see that coming!

Folks, this is why people are reacting negatively to the relaxed CDC guidelines. They actually DO affect policy and behaviors.

vvvvvv please quote any "bullshit" I have made, plus ensure you source why they are lies. Also feel free to put me on ignore

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 29, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

It's amazing that virtualboycolor has been able to poo poo up this thread with misinformation and bullshit since like page one. Every other week I glance at this thread he's being called out for disingenuous or outright lying, yet he's still able to just poo poo post all day long.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

quote:

Getting redress
Where then should citizens turn for accountability, if they don’t find it in their leaders and feel unsupported by experts and the media? The law remains one form of redress, and indeed some legal avenues, including criminal negligence and misconduct in public office, are being explored,1819 although proving any such claims will be difficult and drawn out. But the notion of murder, at least “social murder,” is hard to shake emotionally, and strengthens with every denial of responsibility and every refusal to be held accountable or to change course.

That leaves three options. The first is to push for a public inquiry, as The BMJ and others argued for in the summer of 202020—a rapid, forward looking review rather than an exercise in apportioning blame that will identify lessons and save lives. The second is to vote out elected leaders and governments that avoid accountability and remain unrepentant. The US showed that a political reckoning is possible, and perhaps a legal one can follow, although research suggests that mishandling a pandemic may not lose votes.21 The third is for mechanisms of global governance, such as the International Criminal Court, to be broadened to cover state failings in pandemics.

In the UK, which was responsible for about 1% of global deaths in the 1918-19 flu pandemic and now accounts for 5% with a smaller proportion of the world’s population,922 elections are a few years off. As the current government holds a parliamentary majority, avenues for redress seem blocked. What’s left in these circumstances is for citizens to lobby their political representatives for a rapid public inquiry; for professionals in law, science, medicine, and the media, as well as holders of public office, to put their duty to the public above their loyalty to politicians and to speak out, to dissent lawfully, to be active in their calls for justice, especially for disadvantaged groups.

The “social murder” of populations is more than a relic of a bygone age. It is very real today, exposed and magnified by covid-19. It cannot be ignored or spun away. Politicians must be held to account by legal and electoral means, indeed by any national and international constitutional means necessary. State failures that led us to two million deaths are “actions” and “inactions” that should shame us all.

kamran abbasi, executive editor of the bmj, february 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is getting silly. I stated "Recall when Dems gave cover for nursing homes killing the elderly?" I provided evidence as requested.

Now people are changing their tune suggesting it was a good thing the Dems provided cover. Please make up your minds.

It was a good thing, in that it was the right call if covid was the disease people believed it was early in the pandemic. The doomer predictions were wrong so it ended up a bad call.

In the future should they be punished or not punished for making bad calls in the direction of addressing harsh predictions?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

^^^^^ chill bro

I imagine working healthcare on the front lines of covid and seeing people second-guessing and twisting the intent of health regulations due to stuff they read on twitter would make one very much 'unchill'

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Alctel posted:

I imagine working healthcare on the front lines of covid and seeing people second-guessing and twisting the intent of health regulations due to stuff they read on twitter would make one very much 'unchill'

I'll let healthcare workers speak to this one:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7045871663052901638

or pretty much any post on r/nursing: https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/rpzjgu/ericu_we_must_unite_and_end_this_war_for_our_real/

Meanwhile the CDC is using 2020 right wing policy in 2021:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1476189028982702080?s=20

Speaking of all these new changes, how does this impact the negative testing for international travel?

So far it doesn't: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

quote:

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

So which is it? Is it safe to be around people when you are feeling better or not?

vvvvv what is the point of this post? Do you have any examples?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 29, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have said that the CDC would have hosed up the response even if the will from the country to solve this thing was there, but the extreme levels of skepticism toward them has now reached a point where I have to either look at y'all a little bit weird, or start writing out plans on who inherits my stuff since I mixed mRNA vaccines which afaik no other country but just FDA/CDC has approved.

Oh I see what's going on you're all quoteposting the same guy I have given up on and ignored for having doomtrained this thing into an apocalypse for a minimum of the past year.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Hmmm, seems based on the science to me!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1476255696807243789

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
healthcare workers that are sick want ten days paid time off to recover and for metal health, who loving could know this was the case????

Dont say I agree with the CDC, or give a drat because I literally have no way to do poo poo with it. But having ten days to mentally recover is what most of my coworkers actually are pissed about

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Sidenote Jahco and adminstration are always the enemy, welcome to loving healthcare joint commission exists to scream about textbook things that isnt possible and reality doesnt equate to

Sidenote the AHA can go gently caress themselves wear ppe when doing a code

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Folks, this is why people are reacting negatively to the relaxed CDC guidelines. They actually DO affect policy and behaviors.

100% this.

My company works in 30 countries. The company policy on covid measures is "whatever the local goverments say is the minimum"

Lots of people realizing that their employer doesn't give a gently caress if they live or die.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did the CDC dropped mask mandate even actually DO anything?

It feels impossible to pick it out as any sort of inflection point on a covid case graph. It doesn't seem like the US particularly diverged from other countries curves after it happened. It feels like the sort of thing that was slammed as bad advice, but didn't actually measurably change much in practice.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels impossible to pick it out as any sort of inflection point on a covid case graph. It doesn't seem like the US particularly diverged from other countries curves after it happened. It feels like the sort of thing that was slammed as bad advice, but didn't actually measurably change much in practice.

It caused states and companies to drop mask mandates immediately.

Unless masks do nothing, it had an impact.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Just looking at the curve smooth itself out to a nice flat vertical

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Where are people getting the idea that omicron is mild, other than some countries having lower hospitalization and death numbers? This seems premature, like the belief early on that children were unaffected or at zero risk of serious illness.
There's been some studies that have some mostly unavoidable methodological issues (not enough time to get hospitalized/die from omicron for most omicron cases based on cohort dates, different date ranges with shifts in population immunity, both of which could make omicron appear less severe in itself) indicating this on a per case basis. Having low confidence that it's not as severe as delta per case seems fine. But planning for it to be 40-80% less severe like those studies indicate right now or the various media push to call it mild full stop where a lot of people will take it in the colloquial sense (much less serious than the technical medical mild categorization) without qualification is not good.

Maybe there's a study that I haven't seen without these issues, but it still seems a bit early to have a confident and specific guess on it.

I chalk the initial breakout of "omicron's mild" in the it's literally just a cold sense up to Science Journalism that then got carried by people desperate for good news in a grand (possibly deliberate) misunderstanding.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 29, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

brugroffil posted:

It caused states and companies to drop mask mandates immediately.

Unless masks do nothing, it had an impact.

Yeah really. This seems to approach anti-mask mentality. Owlofcreamcheese can you clarify your position here?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah really. This seems to approach anti-mask mentality. Owlofcreamcheese can you clarify your position here?

Seems clear he's questioning whether the CDC guidance affected mask usage, not whether masks are effective.

that said I'm pretty sure it did affect mask usage but iirc it was mostly during the time before Delta so vax'd people not wearing masks was actually generally OK

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I love how the argument always transitions from “the CDC’s guidance is purely based on the best science available, optimized to balance benefits” to “well CDC guidance doesn’t affect anything anyway”. Pretty on par for the crew who think that nothing better is possible so there’s no point in trying.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

Seems clear he's questioning whether the CDC guidance affected mask usage, not whether masks are effective.

that said I'm pretty sure it did affect mask usage but iirc it was mostly during the time before Delta so vax'd people not wearing masks was actually generally OK

It definitely did. Anecdotally, where I live in Ogden, UT, mask usage was actually really great in the first few months of the year. After this guidance, I rarely saw masks, maybe 1 out of every 10 people at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
I at least want better and stronger CDC, etc mask guidance so I can go into places and wear a good mask instead of being cajoled by the owner of the building/business/government institution into wearing nothing or a random surgical they hand me.

Everyone else wearing good masks properly would be nice too, but I'd at least like to be free to protect myself well anywhere I might go. Presumably a lot of other people paying attention to this stuff feel the same.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 29, 2021