Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Has anyone had any success with oversized exercise mats? I'm specifically looking for a 6x6 mat, but none are available locally and the amazon selection seems to be mostly alibaba trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know that agism/age discrimination is wrong and illegal - but this seems to only apply to when the discrimination is against older people. there are all kinds of rights that children do not have, for obvious reasons

so my question is, would it be possible for someone to start an airline where the entire selling point is that no one under 5 years old is allowed on board?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It is also illegal to discriminate based on family status, FYI. And public transportation is subject to stricter civil rights requirements than say, a bar, which is allowed to be 21+ only (which is defensible because of the nature of alcohol laws etc). I'm curious if there is an answer to this question but my guess is that we wouldn't know until it got to court, and I doubt it would survive there but idk. Answering from a US perspective btw.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 28, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

i know that agism/age discrimination is wrong and illegal - but this seems to only apply to when the discrimination is against older people. there are all kinds of rights that children do not have, for obvious reasons

so my question is, would it be possible for someone to start an airline where the entire selling point is that no one under 5 years old is allowed on board?

The reason it seems to only apply against old people is that old people are a protected class when it comes to age discrimination, and young people are not, because America is a gerontocracy.

Familial status is protected, so as was already posted, they would probably run afoul of that protection, but the courts would have to hash it out, and it's unlikely that there's an airline willing to take the PR hit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

The reason it seems to only apply against old people is that old people are a protected class when it comes to age discrimination, and young people are not, because America is a gerontocracy.

i mean to some degree that's true but almost all countries have a minimum age to vote or own land, but a maximum age for those things would be agism

anyway yes i think you guys are right the "family status" issue would probably make it a non-starter.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Too bad cos that's a p good idea. Bad PR? Sheeeit what about the good PR?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Earwicker posted:

Some Asian airlines have blocked kids out of certain sections of flights but not whole flights

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Earwicker posted:

I like the way you think, but I feel like the idea is about 30 years past when you could have done it. Back in the 90s it seems like there were dozens of airlines to choose from, and you could have a gimmick as a selling point and be (somewhat) successful.

Part of the problem though is that you would have to be so appealing and/or so cost effective that you would make up for losing out on those fares from families.

It doesn't make sense to fly a plane at half capacity of passengers, so you would have to entice childless people to spend their money on your plane ticket rather than the competition. How do you do that? The appeal of not having to worry about crying babies is nice, but if I have to pay an extra $100 per ticket, I'm not going to do that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I've probably been in 20 or so different Catholic churches in my life. They all have a Jesus on the cross behind the pulpit, and as best I can remember they have all been different. So, when a new Catholic church opens, is everything custom made (like the pictures of Mary, there's usually a series of images of Jesus carrying the cross, etc)? Or is there a Catholic supply store, like Sysco for food service, where you can shop their catalog and order the items you like, and maybe they just offer a large variety of crucified Christs and that's why I haven't seen a duplicate?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I've probably been in 20 or so different Catholic churches in my life. They all have a Jesus on the cross behind the pulpit, and as best I can remember they have all been different. So, when a new Catholic church opens, is everything custom made (like the pictures of Mary, there's usually a series of images of Jesus carrying the cross, etc)? Or is there a Catholic supply store, like Sysco for food service, where you can shop their catalog and order the items you like, and maybe they just offer a large variety of crucified Christs and that's why I haven't seen a duplicate?

That's an essential part of building a church, and they get them custom made as part of the construction. Quite often by skilled artists, too, some of that stuff is pretty good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There were a lot of prefab churches manufactured during the industrial revolution for missionary work. Mostly corrugated iron and other lightweight materials that could be easily transported abroad. I don't know much about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if at the time, there was also a workshop somewhere in England churning out pulpits and crosses for the heathens and settlers.

Apart from that though, I'd guess most such work was made to order by specialized craftsmen and artists.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

There are absolutely Catholic and Christian supply stores, I’ve seen at least one in my large Midwestern city and growing up going to catholic school I KNOW they must have sourced all those glow-in-the-dark rosaries somewhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.churchsupplywarehouse.com/statuary/statues.html

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

BonHair posted:

That's an essential part of building a church, and they get them custom made as part of the construction. Quite often by skilled artists, too, some of that stuff is pretty good.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else too.

I was thinking about it while at Christmas service with my fiance (she's Catholic, I'm not, but I go to church with her on holidays and such). Our local church has a pretty remarkable crucified Christ that got me thinking about it.

In the book The Agony and the Ecstasy, Michaelangelo spends some time thinking about crucifixion poses and what different poses represent and that's what made me start to pay attention to it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

regulargonzalez posted:

there's usually a series of images of Jesus carrying the cross, etc

They're called the stations of the cross, and are also heavily formalized.
You're not free to depict whatever parts of the story you find interesting, it always has to be those same 14 scenes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That's really interesting! I find the rituals of Catholicism to be really fascinating. It's such a relic of a bygone era, where the ceremony and mysticism was an inherent part of the religious message. Like how the mass was in Latin up until what, Vatican II?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

That's really interesting! I find the rituals of Catholicism to be really fascinating. It's such a relic of a bygone era, where the ceremony and mysticism was an inherent part of the religious message. Like how the mass was in Latin up until what, Vatican II?

Catholic mass has not gotten rid of ceremony and mysticism. The priest says some specific words and the church believes he has literally transformed wafers and wine into the body and blood of a once-living human being. The mysticism is just delivered in the vernacular now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there's currently plenty of ceremony and mysticism in other religions too. these things are not at all "of a bygone era"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Oh definitely, and that's what I like about it. The incense, the call and response, the vestments. Lots of time to think about those things during the Mass.

By "bygone era", I guess I meant that they originated in a time where that style of presentation was as important as the message itself. Presentation is still hugely important but the modern style is the mega-church, charismatic Christianity.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 28, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For more detail on any of this, there's a religion thread in Ask/Tell that's welcoming of people with questions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955347

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, as far as Roman Catholics go, it’s a top down organization so I’m actually more surprised that they don’t just build standard design churches with standardized decoration.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I suspect the Catholics realized long ago that having locals plan/design/fund/build their own church as much as possible both saves money (which the Church is as reluctant to part with as any large organization) and increases buy-in from the congregation.

Edit: Somewhat related, my mom's family is full of people who think the Catholic Church is absolutely not worth supporting due to all the covering up of kid touching, discouraging condoms during the AIDS crisis, etc. but are still devout and go to their local catholic church every week.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 28, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Also, as far as Roman Catholics go, it’s a top down organization so I’m actually more surprised that they don’t just build standard design churches with standardized decoration.

It's worth noting that it's also old as balls, from before that level of standardisation was feasible. Aside from having a close relationship with the wealth of the parish or whatever (think village church vs Notre Dame), there's also the matter of materials. Basically, in Denmark we have a lot of brick churches in account of having a lot of clay in the soil. In Norway, wooden churches are common on account of the lack of clay and prevalence of trees. That stuff obviously influences the architecture a whole lot, and in turn also the decor, because you want it to look good with the carved wooden beams or painted bricks.

Also, you gotta make sure that Jesus doesn't look ethnic. Can't have Him looking like an Italian when everyone knows He's Irish.

It's worth noting that the basic layout (altar in the eastern end and so forth) of a church, and as mentioned, the actual scenes depicted are confirming to a standard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do we have a tea thread?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do we have a tea thread?

Yup.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:tipshat:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

Somebody should sell little ready-made kits like if you want to open an Irish pub in Spain

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

Somebody should sell little ready-made kits like if you want to open an Irish pub in Spain

I think Sysco actually does

Edit: may have misunderstood your post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know that there's a thread here, but I'm assuming you're looking to see if there's any money with any of these. I'll give you the same advice I've given anyone else before: Check ebay. You mention a Mickey Mantle specifically, which is probably a good start. Double check the year of printing and the manufacturer (Fleer, Topps, etc.) and cross check that on ebay. You'll find a wide range. There's one that claims to be a loose (not in a protective Lucite sleeve) original MM rookie card, and they're asking $75 with 0 bids. There's another one that appears to be the same design card, but in better condition and in a case, and marked as a reprint, and that has over 20 bids and is currently sitting at over $300. The last oen I can see that sold was a "custom" recreation, where it appears the same image was printed, color corrected and scaled up to a more modern size card, and that sold for $4.

If it were me, I'd go through all the boxes and sort them by manufacturer and year and look for any names I recognized, and search for those specifically, see if anything stuck out. If nothing else you might be able to see if there's a complete collection there (all 200 Topps 1963 MLB cards or whatever) and see if the whole set is worth anything.

That way at least you know what you have.

But, if you were trying to offload it quickly you could try shopping them around to the local sports collectables shops and see what you would get. Probably less than what you would get putting them up on ebay and doing it all yourself, but you'd probably get your money faster.
yeah, there's probably around 3000 or 4000 cards total here I think. unfortunately some are damaged from being wrapped in rubber bands, but aside from being a bit curled, most seem in nice shape. most of them are 1962-1966 from what I've seen so far. about 3 or 4 boxes this size full:

and then there's the coins, a few hundred of them I think. same era, and some are a bit dinged up, but a lot are in excellent shape.

thanks, I'll try asking there, though not sure I'll have much luck.

edit: sifting through hundreds of ebay listings of "complete your collection!!!!" sort of poo poo, seems like a mostly-complete set of 1964 topps baseball cards in decent condition is like 400 bucks, and a complete set can be over a grand. and the coins, a complete set for 1964 can be like 500 bucks or more. sounds good to me!

edit: oh...oh, poo poo, the set that sold for 1200 was pretty beat up from what I saw, with some cards folded in half even...I'll have to go to a card shop and ask about figuring out the general quality of them all I suppose, since sets that are in good condition seem to have gone for like 5 grand, and sets in EXCELLENT condition are like 15k. I doubt they'd qualify for that last one but they're really nice overall with nice corners and stuff...hmmm. always thought sports cards were worthless nowadays, guess not.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 29, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Invictus posted:

Card and coin stuff

Looking at your stuff the condition appears to be good, you might have a little pile of $$ you are sitting on. I've never seen those coins, but they are pretty cool

Good luck

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Sports cards are worthless these days.... except for the old ones from before they got mass-printed into the ground as collectors items. The same way Magic cards, the Alpha cards are way more valuable because they're A) the first, and B) very limited in supple.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
No idea where to post this, but here's always been a quality clearing house.

In April 2019, I helped my mom get an account with Dell Financial so she could buy a laptop. The account is in my name and, I believe, with my SSN attached. She died in October. I have no use for a laptop with $800 still on the bill, and after half an hour on the phone with Dell was told that their return window is 30 days, period.

So it looks like I'm on the hook for this. What are my best options here? Throwing it up on ebay?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Golbez posted:

.So it looks like I'm on the hook for this. What are my best options here? Throwing it up on ebay?
This is really a legal question. Are you in the US? A very hasty google search for the US suggests an answer like "they certainly want to trick you into thinking it's on you directly, but it's on the estate/not that simple - read up/check with a lawyer".

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

dirby posted:

This is really a legal question. Are you in the US? A very hasty google search for the US suggests an answer like "they certainly want to trick you into thinking it's on you directly, but it's on the estate/not that simple - read up/check with a lawyer".

In most cases, I'd agree - but -I- set up this account, it's under my name. That would seem to mean I'm on the hook. All her other debts can go away, but this one seems like it can hit me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Who is even buying full sets of 60s baseball cards nowadays? Seems like getting the rare cards graded would give you something more sellable.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Whenever I buy anything from China, the box comes entirely covered with yellow packing tape. If it’s in a FedEx bag, the box inside the bag is completely covered too. Why is this? Some kind of cultural anti-tampering?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I think it's more likely to provide something of a moisture barrier to protect it on the ship crossing. A lot of shipping containers are in mediocre condition and might let ocean spray in. But that's purely speculation.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Every day over the past few days, I've been getting a spam text on my normal phone with an [url]http://[/url] link to some obvious malware site. I just block them and move on until they send another one the next day. But the other day, I accidentally replied to one of them with my watch, and now I fear they think that my phone number is a legit one and so they'll keep sending me texts.

I've downloaded an app to try and filter out spam texts but is there any other recourse here? Or am I just going to keep getting spam texts du jour for the foreseeable future?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

is there any kind of extension for chrome that will let me take notes that come up when I go to a specific page? I'd like to record notes for my future self for recipes (like "use higher oven temp" etc) and would like to be able to see them whenever I go to the page instead of looking them up in a notebook or a doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I know Hummers were the face of the bush years in the 00s, but what is the chuddiest car for the 10s?