Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr is a bad storage site if you shoot raw, as flickr only stores jpegs.

For displaying it's fine. Not the best portfolio site because the presentation kind of sucks, but it's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

Flickr is a bad storage site if you shoot raw, as flickr only stores jpegs.

For displaying it's fine. Not the best portfolio site because the presentation kind of sucks, but it's good enough.

As a hobbyist I use Flickr for show and Amazon photos on prime for RAW storage.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

jarlywarly posted:

As a hobbyist I use Flickr for show and Amazon photos on prime for RAW storage.

What

...and it's unlimited storage? How did I not know about this

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I also learned about this just now. Considering they're the premiere provider of enterprise cloud storage in the first place, it's a great way to keep you tied to your prime account forever.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Recently though I upgraded to a R5 that produces CR3 RAW files which for whatever reason Amazon have not added to the list of types they exclude from your quota which is really annoying (there are lots of complaint threads on Amazon support forums) so I now have to losslessly embed then into DNG files using the Adobe DNG processing app for backup.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

zombienietzsche posted:

I also learned about this just now. Considering they're the premiere provider of enterprise cloud storage in the first place, it's a great way to keep you tied to your prime account forever.

I have children and will be tied to prime until they grow up. Savings on christmas shipping and not having to go into stores as much is well worth the prime money, I really should set this up. I also make enough money the rest of the year on stuff I dont need right now to buy a few e-books from amazon with the $1 they throw me to hold off on instant shipping.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the thread title in reference to

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hadlock posted:

What is the thread title in reference to

Start here

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Anyone have any experience getting a TLR CLA'd? What's generally been the turnaround time?

I brought an old Yashica TLR to a relatively new, but well reviewed local repair place back in April of 2021 for a CLA. They said it would be 4-6 weeks. That time went and then some, I called after 2 months and they said "it looks like it's in the next round, you should hear from us soon!". 2 more months and I called again and got more or less the same response. Called a few weeks ago and they said basically the same thing. If their Instagram is anything to go by a ton of cameras move through their shop, so either they're actually incredibly backed up, they keep forgetting about mine, or they lost it? It's not a particularly nice camera or anything i'm sentimental about, but i'm starting to think that I probably won't get it back. It's also fine if it is going to take a year, but I wish they would just tell me that.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 29, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would ask for the camera back and look for someone else to service it.

I had a similar issue for buying some filters from breakthrough photography, months after my order kept on adding up and whenever I asked they made excuses about pandemic delays, we're working on it, we'll send an update when they're ready. And yet their instagram account was constantly updating with new product announcements and pro photographers bragging about how awesome the filters are. I said gently caress it and asked for my money back.

My assumption is that the "pro photography" market is real small, the companies making products for it are small and have single digit employee counts, and covid related issues have completely hosed their ability to get work done.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

gently caress! At that point I would assume that they either lost your camera, or that they are renting it out for some extra income, or that they used it as a donor to repair other cameras. I too would ask for it back. At this point they would have lost all credibility/trust in my book.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are The Negative and The Print by Ansel Adams useful reads if you only shoot digital?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Not at all, that whole series is effectively about shooting for wet printing using the zone system.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Anybody have a good tutorial on hand for the different tracking/lock-on features of a Sony A7Riii? I'm trying to wrap my mind around all the but it is kind of difficult.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a Sony A7iii with these two speedlights: Yongnuo YN560 IV, Canon 600EX-RT

I want to have them trigger wirelessly. Is that possible? If so what kind off wireless trigger would I need? Not my first time working with wireless triggers but it is my first time working with two differently branded speedlights AND a different brand camera altogether.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 10, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

melon cat posted:

I have a Sony A7iii with these two speedlights: Yongnuo YN560 IV, Canon 600EX-RT

I want to have them trigger wirelessly. Is that possible? If so what kind off wireless trigger would I need? Not my first time working with wireless triggers but it is my first time working with two differently branded speedlights AND a different brand camera altogether.

umm not sure how you ended with that, what camera brand is the Yongnuo for? Do you need ETTL? Optical or Radio triggering?

It honestly might be worth selling them both and getting something like 2 Godox TT685's and the Godox X2TC Sony wireless trigger.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

jarlywarly posted:

umm not sure how you ended with that, what camera brand is the Yongnuo for? Do you need ETTL? Optical or Radio triggering?

It honestly might be worth selling them both and getting something like 2 Godox TT685's and the Godox X2TC Sony wireless trigger.

Haha I am helping out another guy and this is his existing speedlight setup. It is a mess.

Yongnuo YN560 IV is "officially" compatible with Canon and Nikon cameras. It fires when put inside my A7iii hot shoe but only in manual mode.

Don't need ETTL. I'd like to use radio triggering. I'm a big fan of Godox (it's what I use personally at home) so I might just go ahead and suggest that.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 10, 2024

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use optical sync even though I have radio triggers. It comes down to being much faster to set up. I use the NEEWER TT560s for slave lights and my 600EX II-RT chilling in the hotshoe.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

melon cat posted:

If all you want to do is trigger the flashes from off-camera, and you don't need TTL, HSS, or manual power control, you could buy two Yongnuo RF-603 transceivers.

Put one on your A7III and set the switch on the side to TX. Your YN560 IV has a built-in RF-603 receiver, so you can trigger it without needing to attach anything else to it. Attach the 600EX to the other transceiver, set the transceiver to TRX, and set the 600EX to manual mode. That *should* work.

If it were me, though, I'd sell those lights and buy two V860II S flashes and an XProS transmitter.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Anyone have any experience with canvas prints (on hollow frames) for sound absorbing panels?

We need to do something with the acoustics in our house, we live in a brand new house so all the walls are perfectly straight and at 90 degrees, great for not having to do maintainance but terrible for acoustics.

I plan on putting up some acoustics panels but would rather they also have a decorative function at the same time. Im thinking of buying canvas prints and filling the empty cavity behind with sound foam? Or is the canvas itself too stiff to let the foam absorb much?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a couple of ~48x72" stretched canvas on wood frames in our house, at that size the canvas is tesioned so little it's almost zero

I don't think they provide any noise cancellation of any kind, and I'm super sensitive to noise etc

Do you already have furniture in the house? Empty houses echo a lot before the furniture moves in

Looks like DIY rockwool panels could be built and then stretch printed canvas over the panel? The "empty" panel I think does nothing though. Good luck

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 14, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone have any experience with canvas prints (on hollow frames) for sound absorbing panels?

We need to do something with the acoustics in our house, we live in a brand new house so all the walls are perfectly straight and at 90 degrees, great for not having to do maintainance but terrible for acoustics.

I plan on putting up some acoustics panels but would rather they also have a decorative function at the same time. Im thinking of buying canvas prints and filling the empty cavity behind with sound foam? Or is the canvas itself too stiff to let the foam absorb much?

Fill the hollow cavity in the back of a canvas with melamine foam. You can get studio grade poo poo or you can notice that melamine foam is also the base of those magic eraser scrubbing sponges, and that you can find them in bulk off brand. I did this with a theater I built. Put a movie poster on a frame and backed it with melamine foam.

It should be noted that the most effective place to put sound insulation are in corners if you cant cover entire walls, and that in a long straight hallway, either end that terminates will also help.

It should also be noted that carpeting and furniture are the solutions to echoey spaces.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Y'all got any monitor recommendations? One of my dell u2515h twins poo poo the bed this morning and Im super out of the loop on what the go to quality monitors are these days. I run two screens and really like small bezels. Photography editing and CAD/office work are whats most important to me.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Sadi posted:

Y'all got any monitor recommendations? One of my dell u2515h twins poo poo the bed this morning and Im super out of the loop on what the go to quality monitors are these days. I run two screens and really like small bezels. Photography editing and CAD/office work are whats most important to me.

I have two of these and I love them: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PA278QV-DisplayPort-Anti-Glare-Adjustable/dp/B088BC5HMM/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I was going through some boxes yesterday and remembered I have two broken Yashica Electro 35 GSN rangefinders. I was looking at them and thought, 'hey, these lenses are pretty great but the electronics are toast, I wonder if I could adapt them to my Fuij XT-10?'

Not only is it possible, people have done it, and someone even sold adapters that made it easy! In both these threads, folks mention buying adapters from some place in China, but every link i've found is dead, and I haven't been able to find anything similar sold by anyone else. The ebay store used to be under user 'baocheng_sd', and I also found a Facebook store called 'Film Fascination' that sold adapters from LianZhong, but links to their website don't work: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/2257856330976988/

Has anyone seen adapters like this sold anywhere else?

Edit: I just found this company selling adapters for lenses from the Canon QL17 Giii to Sony E Mount: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000711254205.html. Hoping I can find one from them for the Yashica too.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 24, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It mgiht be worth asking rafcamera. I mostly use them for when I need microscope/camera adapters but they're pretty affordable for custom stuff.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Any tips for ordering prints to be framed and hung on a wall? I have a giftcard for nations photo lab and it seems like Lustre is the best paper/finish type. Anything else I should keep in mind for prints or frames?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Take the time to order proofs. It's super helpful for getting the colors right. Most services will color balance for you but it's better to figure it out yourself.

You can do it less as you get experience, you'll learn the technique.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those in the business, how do you deliver your photos to clients? I currently use google drive links but I guess you need a google account to access those folders? Whoops. Looking for something similar without the prerequisites to use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google drive lets you create sharable read only links, if you enter a folder there will be a little person icon next to the folder path. Click that to get the link and manage permissions.

edit - and I just tested in a browser with no login and it seemed to work fine.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Google drive lets you create sharable read only links, if you enter a folder there will be a little person icon next to the folder path. Click that to get the link and manage permissions.

edit - and I just tested in a browser with no login and it seemed to work fine.

That's what I thought too, I got feedback saying they needed a drive account. Maybe the fuckery yesterday with google servers messed something up and it was a fluke. Weird.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

you can test your link in a private or 'incognito' browser window

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I pay 10€/mo for WeTransfer, but you can't preview the files before downloading.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
So I pulled my camera out this morning to take some photos of my sister's new puppy, and all of a sudden all the images are completely buggered, both on the camera screen and the PC, jpg & raw:

Restarting it does nothing, updating the firmware does nothing, sometimes it takes ok shots, but mostly like the above. Same with different lenses. Has anyone seen this before? Is the sensor shot, or maybe some other internal stuff? I can't seem to find anything similar googling...

(Olympus E-M10ii)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Memory card? Second slot? Does it show like that on the screen? How about if you shoot tethered

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is your name Neo

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Wild EEPROM posted:

Memory card? Second slot? Does it show like that on the screen? How about if you shoot tethered

I only have the 1 memory card, and the camera only has the 1 slot.

It shows like that on the screen, too.

Not sure what shooting tethered means, or how to do it.

The screen also now shows static over the image when I first turn it on, which sometimes changes to the normal view a second or two later, or when I half-press the shutter. After that, the screen and the viewfinder seem to display normally.

Menus and all other functions work normally, it just seems to be something to do with translating or recording the image it sees.

Hadlock posted:

Is your name Neo

:cheeky:

p0stal b0b fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 19, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously a St Patrick's day feature. Is your clock on the camera accurate? :v:

I think when stuff like that starts happening it's a hardware failure and is a repair or toss situation.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah that looks like a hardware issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You should have more than one memory card, but if the digital screen is also a bit hosed it's probably a hardware issue. I'd price new and used cameras that do what you want and then take it to a repair place and see if it's either cheaper to repair what you have, or if you're flush, time to buy a nicer camera.

If you get a new camera, buy a second memory card of whatever format, if you fix your camera buy a second memory card.