Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dwesa posted:

:lol: it's currently third most upvoted post on SC sub of all time

time to start selling new unannounced ship

*pledges for an idris behind you*
it's because they're going all in on squadron 42, fudster. this is a good thing for star citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1475101606119190537
https://twitter.com/ThorneAbrams/status/1475916143449812999

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidelitious posted:

I would like to note that even on the much more positive reddit, the game has a truly dreadful Net Promoter Score. Only scores of 9-10/10 are considered promoters so I'm mapping that to the Very Positive response.
I'm sure we all remember how important the NPS is.

When your fans start writing letters inspired by 'Stan' it's time to be careful.

My 'verse has gone cold, I'm wondering why I
T-pose at bed at all
The morning nebula clouds up my Idris
And I can't play at all
And even if I could it'd all be gray
Put your jpeg on the wall
It reminds me, that it's not so parp
It's not so parp

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Correct, he doesn't understand jack about it.

Many of the people posting here about crypto though, DO understand.

There is no doubt...objectively, web3 is going to transform the world more than the internet did itself.

I'm not arguing to bring that to Star Citizen necessarily (though, CIG could benefit from a built-in consumer friendly business model without pay to win).

I am just saying everyone should consider educating themselves on this stuff instead of brushing it off like an old man yelling at clouds. You'll thank me later.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Phew holy shite, I am still testing positive but feeling tons better
Advice: Do not get covid, it sucks

.random
May 7, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Good to hear! But it sounds like you could benefit from a built-in consumer friendly business model without pay to win.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

.random posted:

Good to hear! But it sounds like you could benefit from a built-in consumer friendly business model without pay to win.

I was just thinking I could do with one of those!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InfatuatedSilentHadrosaurus-mobile.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I don't mean for this to sound sarcastic, but I have fun with SC by learning the errata of bugs that you need to manage to have fun.

Case in point: don't wear a backpack if you have a ship with a ramp. Much of the time, having a backpack on while traversing a ramp will blow the ship up.

I blew up my Redeemer three times before turning to Google to see what was up and finding this gem of knowledge. Zero blow ups since.

There are so, so many of these. The cycle I follow: experience a bug that breaks the game once, deal with it. Twice (or three times if I was lazy at the 2nd occurrence) I'm off to Google / the forums to see what's what. 99 times out of 100, it's known and there is a "work around" to get past it for now until it is fixed properly.

Seriously, sharpening my radar to identify these tidbits has helped massively. Things like: "don't buy scrap. you can't sell it anymore" for cargo haulers, or "hit right shift a few times if you lose the ability to control pitch or yaw on your ship" are top-shelf fun-savers for me.

That includes missions to avoid for a given patch. The mining claim one is buggy as all get out so it is to be avoided, and the bunkers, while mostly fixed for me, still bug out 1/10 on occassion.

Stick to "illegal monitoring" (killing the satellites) and you'll make big bucks quick. Otherwise, use online resources (I'll let you google them) to find shipping routes that are profitable.

This is a dense game when everything works and knowledge pays the bills, and that's doubly so during this phase of testing as every patch introduces new bugs to learn and adapt to.

Hope this helps! It's so worth sticking with, when it works well it's absolute magic.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dear citizens,

You don't need to pay $10,000 to find janky but enjoyable games.

Signed,
Valve

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, if its Valve, they won't make a game no matter HOW much money you give them!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

that's good to hear!

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Sounds like playing Wizardry IV.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Let me tell you about another AAA game, Sonic 2006!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

That's literally the first good thing I heard this week! Stay safe, dancy cat, I was actually thinking about how you are doing.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

So you won't be releasing a new Pgab covid variant then?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

That's literally the first good thing I heard this week! Stay safe, dancy cat, I was actually thinking about how you are doing.

Aww!
I am just tired now, but I like tired, it's a great time of the year to chill out, work won't get going for another week or so. It could be worse I could have spent thousands of dollars on a poo poo crysis mod :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kosumo posted:

So you won't be releasing a new Pgab covid variant then?

vccine succsfl

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

peter gabriel posted:

I was just thinking I could do with one of those!

Or do what my sister, brother-in-law and niece are doing - self-medicating with massive amounts of alcohol. This is their second time around with it.

Meanwhile, we've not had it yet but at the current run rate, I'm expecting to catch it in approximately - cough cough - fuuuuuuck.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

:ohdear:

I hope you get well soon and fast!!!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

SWEET ERIN AND HELLA CHRIS

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

NotJustANumber99 posted:

From reading that reddit, currently when you put your spaceships landing ramp down, if there is a rock or something under it, because the ramp has to go all the way down, when it hits the rock the whole spaceship lifts up in the air, magically suspended.

so if you walk off the ramp, you can't get back on to it. you are stranded on the planet.

I feel I should mention that, like with every other concerningly rear end-end-up implemented system jank in the game, the reality is often far, far more complicated. Sometimes the ship is magically suspended, sometimes it clips through the terrain and vanishes, sometimes it inverts the ship and leaves the open elevator or ramp on the top, which leaves you permanently ragdolling in a state of the game's situational, regional gravity flipping between in-ship orientation and on-planet orientation.

And in the case of the 400i it would teleport you to a magical paint-splotch dimension of trippy visual effects that you are trapped inside and cannot even minimize the game window. I took a short video of it the second time I was abducted to this unearthly plane, but prompty lost it. I wish I could share it with you because it makes no sense on several levels and indicates what kind of redundant graphics processing is always going on behind the scenes that the player never sees even if it keeps your CPU burning like a coal fire.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Dear Chris,

I didn't know you made a whole array of equally trash games and had no idea that the last games you made were in the dos era... nor did I realize you were basically a director for the movies in the games.

I also didn't know that you were fired from your last space game for trying to make a space game that had expectations set way way too high and the only way Microsoft could actually finish the game was to kick you out.

Man that's a real bummer because I bet if they just gave you infinite time and money like we are now, we'd already be in beta testing at least for star citizen today! How cool would that be????

Well bud, just wanted to check in and hope you reply because I'm a huge fan and I love buying space dlc from you for extortionate prices no normal human would see as plausibly logical. But that's just who I am lol because I love you and I believe in this project so so so hard.

Love,
Big Fan

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

:hmmyes:

:ohno:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

The Scam Anniversary is running from Nov 19th to Nov 26th:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

Didn't see the winner for this, in the spirit of Luminalia, I'll step up and send a jpeg of a game to the winner.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Yayyyyyy

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
I like how whenever I drop in to check on the thread, there are proportionally more cat avatars than the last time I checked.

I assume it’s star citizen’s fault, but the question on everybody’s mind is if it means that star citizen is good now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

From reading that reddit, currently when you put your spaceships landing ramp down, if there is a rock or something under it, because the ramp has to go all the way down, when it hits the rock the whole spaceship lifts up in the air, magically suspended.

so if you walk off the ramp, you can't get back on to it. you are stranded on the planet.

Lammasu posted:

10 loving years.

Early days. Early days.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kavros posted:

I feel I should mention that, like with every other concerningly rear end-end-up implemented system jank in the game, the reality is often far, far more complicated. Sometimes the ship is magically suspended, sometimes it clips through the terrain and vanishes, sometimes it inverts the ship and leaves the open elevator or ramp on the top, which leaves you permanently ragdolling in a state of the game's situational, regional gravity flipping between in-ship orientation and on-planet orientation.

And in the case of the 400i it would teleport you to a magical paint-splotch dimension of trippy visual effects that you are trapped inside and cannot even minimize the game window. I took a short video of it the second time I was abducted to this unearthly plane, but prompty lost it. I wish I could share it with you because it makes no sense on several levels and indicates what kind of redundant graphics processing is always going on behind the scenes that the player never sees even if it keeps your CPU burning like a coal fire.

So Dynamic Door Alignment means making sure the game doesn't break in one of a million different ways when a ship lands. Now it's kind of understandable why it had to be pushed back. Has any project picked Cryengine and not regretted it eventually?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

So Dynamic Door Alignment means making sure the game doesn't break in one of a million different ways when a ship lands. Now it's kind of understandable why it had to be pushed back. Has any project picked Cryengine and not regretted it eventually?

Cryengine handles that particular situation flawlessly. This is 100% CIG's magic. (e: specifically their "mini map" system wonks out when the ramp's minimap boundary has to interact with the larger planet map. It has been this way for like 5 years now)

Give CIG the Super Mario engine and they'll have your character randomly explode if they try to jump

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

trucutru posted:

Cryengine handles that particular situation flawlessly. This is 100% CIG's magic. (e: specifically their "mini map" system wonks out when the ramp's minimap boundary has to interact with the larger planet map. It has been this way for like 5 years now)

Give CIG the Super Mario engine and they'll have your character randomly explode if they try to jump

Remember that cheat code in Tom Raider 2 that caused your character to explode.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

WTF are you all going on about with Dynamic Door Alignment and it being about how the ships ramp touch the ground?

Dynamic Door Alignment is what you get with an old garage door opener and a few bits of plywood.

You don't think Chris would move to the UK, lease a new office building and not have Dynamic Door Alignment in it did you?

Sometimes it's like this thread is 142% FUD!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rexzilla.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hyedum posted:

I like how whenever I drop in to check on the thread, there are proportionally more cat avatars than the last time I checked.

I assume it’s star citizen’s fault, but the question on everybody’s mind is if it means that star citizen is good now.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Hyedum posted:

Are you counting me as a cat avatar?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Happy for you man. I just got my booster, so fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Got mine a couple days ago. After the shot he whispered in my ear, "Buy an Idris".