Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

this really depends on which biome you're in.

like i mentioned cardinals earlier because they're only going to lose 1% of their existing range to climate change, while gaining 31% more. they'll start wintering as far north as Thunder Bay lol.

so if you're somewhere that's already inhabited by the flexible winners then you are still hearing bird calls, bugs, etc. but if you're somewhere filled with climate losers, like northern forests, then the native song birds are going to die out before the cardinals and jays move in to replace them.

we're going to see a homogenizing of our biomes which will then further weaken everything. because fewer climatologically flexible species means more risk to disease and other species-wide factors. so while the oaks will grow where the pines are dying, now oak wilt can spread amongst and kill all our trees rather than just some.

there are so many god drat starlings traveling around New England this year. i keep seeing flocks of 50-100 off them flying around from tree to wire to ground doing whatever they do. they're an invasive species, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

nomad2020 posted:

How many rockets do you suspect exist currently? I'm guessing if the the entire world pitched in we might have 1 maybe 1.5 shots at this with current stock.

Also he states that we're more likely to be hit by a big asteroid than a comet because there's more of the former :science:

As someone who plays KSP and is therefore a qualified rocket scientist, you can't just add rockets together until you can hit the bigger, farther away thing :colbert:

Schmeichy posted:

I actually thought the dumbass president was ambiguous as to party, though there were some elements like the son that were trump specific call-outs

She specifically praised Republicans. She was a Republican president.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

As someone who plays KSP and is therefore a qualified rocket scientist, you can't just add rockets together until you can hit the bigger, farther away thing :colbert:

Like Joe Biden doesn't praise Republicans... Tbh I might have missed it in the movie due to half watching it, but there were some very Hilary moments with her too

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

What? Yes you can, you just bundle and stack them together

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the thing with "but its a patody of trmup" that everyone forgets is trumps a liberal same as the rest of the ancient corpses that haunt politics

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

As a likewise qualified KSP player, this is correct only when considering surface launches which have a very finite workable size. With orbital rendezvous docking additions you can totally add together rockets until you get wherever you want to go.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

the thing with "but its a patody of trmup" that everyone forgets is trumps a liberal same as the rest of the ancient corpses that haunt politics

:hai:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'm pretty sure they specifically show a picture of Meryl with the Clinton's on her oval office desk towards the beginning. She's written and played ambiguously until late in the second act.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
At that level of power a Democrat is a Republican that doesn't use the hard-R.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

T-Paine posted:

probably my favorite pbf comic

he’s still got it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jel Shaker posted:

BASH is clearly a piss-take of apple, but that would probably annoy the advertising search algorithm for the website

all of the characters are contemporary analogue of multiple people smashed and blended together

BASH is apple/tesla/amazon to replicate and mock each of their facets, in order to effectively refrain the common thread that technocrats are inept cult leaders

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Why isn't this movie of a fictional story produced within a capitalist framework ideologically pure and specifically target the individual people that I want to see lampooned?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

skooma512 posted:

ICBMs and SSBMs are already designed to be put on a rocket. I don't know what the stockpile of boosters is, but I bet there has to be a Soyuz or Ariane or Delta booster or even a Falcon 9 that's lying around waiting for another mission. Escape velocity would be a problem, but that would just require more delta V or a second stage, which at least sounds easier because again, an ICBM is already a rocket.

I have full faith that we could find enough nukes to go around, but going by the movie we'd need a couple dozen rockets for Ron Pearlman to drive, I'm just taking for granted that the ICBM stock isn't able to leave orbit on it's own.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Wisest Moron posted:

I'm pretty sure they specifically show a picture of Meryl with the Clinton's on her oval office desk towards the beginning. She's written and played ambiguously until late in the second act.

That, plus the Obama-style smoking, is what made me feel it was intentionally written ambiguously.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBfnzX3Q6g

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Somehow I hosed up and put a pizza, in the box, in plastic, in the oven

my wife found this when it was in the "hot box, plastic bag inflated but not melted" phase

i removed the plastic, cooked the rest of the pizza, and ate it. It occurred to me that whatever plastic got picked up from the hot bag might well be less than the amount already present in the ingredients :allears:

Chamale posted:

What are good jeans for doing that kind of thing?

These are my current go to. I got a pair of the predecessor model like 10 years ago that survived a more sedate lifestyle until I got knocked off a bicycle by a truck; pants didn't make it, but they saved some skin. I got a pair of these ~2 years ago that continues to exist as my "beat to poo poo, frayed" pair that I use for doing stuff that's gonna gently caress 'em up more, and I got a pair ~6 months ago that are in good shape still and get used in the woods. They do make denim pants, I have not tried them because the canvas works for what I need. Joe Rocket makes kevlar lined denim pants which are good for motorcycling but not very practical for anything else I do. I would like to get a pair of these before sugaring season starts this year, because having the integral pockets and apron would be nice and I might spend less time with knives carried between my teeth.

Tractor Exchange has poo poo that's half this expensive that might last as long, but just from feeling the fabric, it's not as comfortable. Kuhl is a quasi name brand, though, so their poo poo is overpriced and I look for sales.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Dec 29, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nomad2020 posted:

I have full faith that we could find enough nukes to go around, but going by the movie we'd need a couple dozen rockets for Ron Pearlman to drive, I'm just taking for granted that the ICBM stock isn't able to leave orbit on it's own.

I believe the Ron Pearlman plan would have failed even if it wasn't aborted. This movie likes to show layers of possible failure. Like the BASH mission was physically impossible from such a close distance. Once the comet reached the half way point with no deflection efforts earth was already dead. Or the rich people in the end were all too old to reproduce even if they wernt eaten by dinosaurs

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
they also brought nothing with them and i severely doubt a captain of industry's old-rear end failson will know how to sharpen a rock and fasten it to a stick to start making basic shelter or clearing land or know how to find food esp. on a world where you dont know what is poison to you. they were all already dead before they boarded that ship.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol I hadn't ever seen this poorlydrawnlines

https://twitter.com/2obvious2/status/1476273518954389509

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lmao

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rutibex posted:

I believe the Ron Pearlman plan would have failed even if it wasn't aborted. This movie likes to show layers of possible failure. Like the BASH mission was physically impossible from such a close distance. Once the comet reached the half way point with no deflection efforts earth was already dead. Or the rich people in the end were all too old to reproduce even if they wernt eaten by dinosaurs

The other problem with the bash plan was that if it succeeded, you would then have several smaller asteroids colliding with the earth. I don't know if that's much better than one big impact.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did you guys know that we reduced yearly global emissions by a tiny amount last year (I'm sure the pandemic had nothing to do with it)? Progress is being made, please stop being doomers itt.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/climate-scientist-dont-look-up-madness

at least there's some dissenting voices out of the cacophony of pampered stenographers clutching their pearls

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fighting climate change, one collapsed roof at a time:

https://twitter.com/DeafishBlogger/status/1475555682149494784

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

lol good job raising awareness w/ your movie mccay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fame Douglas posted:

Did you guys know that we reduced yearly global emissions by a tiny amount last year (I'm sure the pandemic had nothing to do with it)? Progress is being made, please stop being doomers itt.

well poo poo, when the libs have lost even Lambert here then you know they've truly gone done screwed the pooch.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

:hmmyes: https://twitter.com/RAtheRuggedMan/status/1476335365740978183

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

I get that you're doing a bit, but the facts are that our best and brightest leaders have already had meetings this very year where they discussed possible agreements to talk about climate policies some more at a later date. Incremental change is like the mills of the gods - they may grind slowly but they grind exceedingly fine!

...we're so, so very hosed...

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I would like to get a pair of these before sugaring season starts this year, because having the integral pockets and apron would be nice and I might spend less time with knives carried between my teeth.

It takes me about 4 months to destroy a pair of Blakladder beyond usability. They're good but they're not "that" good, the fabric is actually very thin. Which is nice when you are working in a 40 degree turbine nacelle and the company is buying them, but not so much if you are paying out of pocket expecting something robust.

I have more Carrhart denim work pants in storage than I will ever be able to use before my body gives out, on the other hand, that poo poo is insane.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

pants in storage?????

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

pissinthewind posted:

pants in storage?????

number one rule of labor: if work gives you access to free poo poo, you take as much as you can

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
also if they leave the storage area unlocked but didnt give you access

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shima Honnou posted:

also if they leave the storage area unlocked but didnt give you access

My actual job is to walk out the door with equipment and walk down the street with it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im dying at how well Don't Look Up captures the c-spam doomer vs how easy is to dunk on cspammers lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/GWxwrg1.mp4

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Blackbird Raum posted:

Home of the oaks and the weeds and the trash that will cover us given any time
Stranded at the tournament soaking up blood, nourished by the black art of the palace floor
Charging up the hill into machine guns with a plumed helmet and a broken sword

And the ice, sewage ice, it's selling like hot cakes additive slime
Herded to a yellow tape cordoned off place. We were just conscripts forced to wield arms
Lining up the pit with pointed sticks, drive them men downhill into the pit

And the ice, sewage ice, it's selling like hot cakes additive slime
Beast of carthage makes his call a carrion smell in the foreman's yard,
climbing up the dig site just for some rear end in a top hat named Halliwell on the phone for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHPt_9tBe0

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

charlie manson was right, except that it was a race war of white people vs white polar caps

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the character's lesson was clear too: give up, smoke weed, find someone hot dumb and kind to gently caress

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

It says a lot about humanity that we can turn something as beautiful as fresh snow into the matte brown-grey of poo poo-slime ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

MightyBigMinus posted:

the character's lesson was clear too: give up, smoke weed, find someone hot dumb and kind to gently caress

this is my plan tbh