Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i'm just settling in to watch "the man who saves the world"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
i saw pig today and I really liked it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

josh04 posted:

but the purpose of the video essay format is to make yourself inseparable from the work - to pretend that you're the viewer's friend walking them through something step by step. like barney the dinosaur.

this is why DefunctLand is the best of them - no talking heads of himself explaining anything, no repetitive meme jokes, no inserting himself as characters with opposing viewpoints. You're there for Theme Park history lessons and by God, that's what they're gonna deliver.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/laurenjcoates/status/1476040702790451202

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DefunctLand rocks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good soup! posted:

DefunctLand rocks

In a perfect world, every youtube channel would be someone with that much knowledge about their niche creating the same sorts of videos, not to boost their own profile, but because they love the subject matter so much they want to share it with the world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shaun should do more stuff imho. He's cool.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

lindsay ellis is boring lets talk about movies . theres lots of them and they're all good

I watched the new Matrix. I thought it was pretty good.

I also watched the new Resident Evil and thought it was stretched out in the wrong spots but surprisingly suspenseful at moments but the overall horror and splatter was pretty uninspired. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be but not good and probably not worth watching again

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

In a perfect world, every youtube channel would be someone with that much knowledge about their niche creating the same sorts of videos, not to boost their own profile, but because they love the subject matter so much they want to share it with the world.
If only they truly did know and love themselves.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hard Rain is a fun action movie that nobody talks about.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lol at anyone thinking free guy has aged any better than milk in the last six months

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

my gf is really into icelandic movies so I’m gonna watch some w her. by their film:population ratio I must assume everyone there is an actor

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

endocriminologist posted:

my gf is really into icelandic movies so I’m gonna watch some w her. by their film:population ratio I must assume everyone there is an actor

Bjork has several concert films that are probably very fun to watch

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bjork has several concert films that are probably very fun to watch
oh that sounds like it’d own heah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

endocriminologist posted:

watch dune drifter, its filmed in iceland

i just watched the Vast of Night. set in the 1950s with a young guy radio operator and teen girl who runs a switchboard in some desolate town in nevada, happen across spooky signal on the airwaves and investigate it. absolutely fantastic movie, loved the whole vibe, the camerawork, it was all great. first time director and no budget but was lovely

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Dec 29, 2021

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Watched a few movies recently.

Matrix 4 - owned.
The Green knight - owned.
Dont look up - good.
Pig - owned, but made my wife and I sad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Good soup! posted:

remember when they used Semi-Charmed Life in ads for The Tigger Movie lmfao

that's the song about doing crystal meth right?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i watched don't look up today, it was funny. j-law's character is my spirit animal.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

i watched don't look up today, it was funny. j-law's character is my spirit animal.

i'm chris evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbmYEkpGd7c

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Watched a few movies recently.

Matrix 4 - owned.
The Green knight - owned.
Dont look up - good.
Pig - owned, but made my wife and I sad.
those are some of the better ones

throw in Dunc and The Last Duel and you'll have seen all of the the best movies of 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lib and let die posted:

I'm more of a Tyler Perry

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so does this movie take place over multiple years as in long enough for a movie to be greenlit and then released because that almost sounds like a good reason to make the drat thing two and a half hours long

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

so does this movie take place over multiple years as in long enough for a movie to be greenlit and then released because that almost sounds like a good reason to make the drat thing two and a half hours long

Takes place over 6 months and some days

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is why DefunctLand is the best of them - no talking heads of himself explaining anything, no repetitive meme jokes, no inserting himself as characters with opposing viewpoints. You're there for Theme Park history lessons and by God, that's what they're gonna deliver.

Mostly agree, but talking head isn't a problem if the content is good. Weird Explorer owns and he's in almost every shot, just a dude who loves fruit traveling the world and talking rare fruit.

The actual best channel is Mimo Corcione, an old Italian dude who makes simple dishes and films himself ascending to heaven as he digs into each one.

Big Mad Drongo has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Dec 30, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

josh04 posted:

but the purpose of the video essay format is to make yourself inseparable from the work - to pretend that you're the viewer's friend walking them through something step by step. like barney the dinosaur.

noah must be my friend, why else would I spend 14 hours listening to him explain Resident evil.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the DefunctLand about the Ferris Wheel is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJu0XA429A

also their Jim Henson series was beautifully done

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

It wasn't even a dumb comment. She just compared one media property to another.

yeah its unbelievably stupid once you realize how innocuous her original comments were. its just that her fanbase (disney/musical freaks) are the most psychotic, sadistic and bloodthirsty people on the planet

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

i FINALLY got around to seeing belko experiment and it was everything i had hoped for, office workers killing each other horribly in a 'scientific experiment'. tons of bonus points for 'hey its that guy!' casting - michael rooker, john mcginley, David Dastmalchian. and adria arjona who i've now seen in 2 movies this week (triple frontier was the other)

i feel like this one is a case of the movie ruining its own premise. its supposed to be your classic lord of the flies setup but the bad guys are so heavy handed in their approach it kinda ruins the whole thing. to the point that the protagonist, with his whole "lets work together to solve this" attitude, comes across more like a deluded moron who cant face reality than a hero. like its pretty clear what the endgame is , theres clearly no escape, so shut the gently caress up with your dumb bullshit dude

mastershakeman posted:

watch dune drifter, its filmed in iceland

i just watched the Vast of Night. set in the 1950s with a young guy radio operator and teen girl who runs a switchboard in some desolate town in nevada, happen across spooky signal on the airwaves and investigate it. absolutely fantastic movie, loved the whole vibe, the camerawork, it was all great. first time director and no budget but was lovely

now i agree about this movie, it rules. its crazy how compelling the direction makes what is essentially just a series of long closeups

babypolis has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Dec 30, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i have no idea who this person is but i can always presume twitter libs are dumb, hyperbolic, and wrong about everything and turns out I was right. the yt guy straight up says rubes only search 'top 10 best/worst ___' on youtube and his system is most disapointing and most fun so he just retitles them for views. in this case he straight up says if the movie is a big long troll to say gently caress WB for making this movie then mad respect and instantly bumps itself up to greatness, but otherwise it was a disappointing watch. seems fine.

and also Free Guy was a really fun stupid watch, it owned. reminded me of one of those shlocky 90s/early 00s movies and it delivered above my expectations (that it was going to suck).

so once again, instant suspicion of twitter proved right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it got trashed so hard itt that i saw free guy with zero expectations and ended up laughing at quite a few sight gags

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah it was totally a dumb poo poo movie, but it was also fun and actually worked. waitiki owns, ryan reynolds owned in it, joe keery is fun to watch, and i liked the shlocky 90s-tier love story. had enough pretty dumb-but-funny jokes in it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

free guy certainly has its moments but i went in with the opposite expectation set of hearing nice things about it and was sorely disappointed

the moral of this story being that you should never listen to moviebob and should instead listen to your friends in the pop culture thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i mean its a dumb movie about an MMORPG with ryan fuckin' reynolds. it looked terrible, you should have had zero expectations lol

i suppose it was a ltitle more enjoyable because ofc 2020 and 2021 was pretty bad for movies so there's been a dearth. and i just enjoyed it as sort of a late 90s/early 00s-tier action movie nostalgia. objectively it's not good but that's not the point

i liked it far more than serious poo poo like No Time to Die which was just god awful (aside from ana de amas)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Dec 30, 2021

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Hitchcock chat - he also did some funny stuff like remake his own movies, an interesting tangent in the movie sequel/remake flamewars of current day.

North By Northwest is The 39 Steps, remade 25 years later with more money and filmmaking knowledge. I also really like The 39 Steps, it's how I learned about macguffins even though I'd already seen Pulp Fiction.

I also watched and liked Don't Look Up. Some of the gags were good enough to earn it's runtime, they gave Meryl Streep a tramp stamp. I like to think I'm beyond validating body shaming but it was unexpected and made me laugh.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Dec 30, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

great year for music docs with get back, summer of soul, and the velvet underground

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

babypolis posted:

i feel like this one is a case of the movie ruining its own premise. its supposed to be your classic lord of the flies setup but the bad guys are so heavy handed in their approach it kinda ruins the whole thing. to the point that the protagonist, with his whole "lets work together to solve this" attitude, comes across more like a deluded moron who cant face reality than a hero. like its pretty clear what the endgame is , theres clearly no escape, so shut the gently caress up with your dumb bullshit dude

now i agree about this movie, it rules. its crazy how compelling the direction makes what is essentially just a series of long closeups

I thought with belko it kind of worked that the idiot guy was clearly an idealistic idiot instead of going hunger games teamup , but I see your point.

The only part of vast of night I flagged in was the long, long take of the old lady's story. The rest was just fantastic

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

in other lovely movie news, i also watched in time on netflix, the one where money is replaced by TIME. remember in 2008-2010 when a bunch of "capitalism sure is hosed huh?" movies? anyways this one is hilariously bad and stupid, all the dialogue goes something like this:

*bad guy whose job title is TIMEKEEPER catches up the good guys * TIMEKEEPER: TIME OUT. looks like i am... just in time. and now you are... out of time. time... to face the timekeepers and do... your time

even the basic narrative is completely hosed and just falls apart around the halfway point.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

There's a 2020 documentary called Time that's really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq6Hh07oLvs

It's non-fiction but anyone looking for the earnest sincerity earlier discussed, this has it.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Dec 30, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

babypolis posted:

in other lovely movie news, i also watched in time on netflix, the one where money is replaced by TIME. remember in 2008-2010 when a bunch of "capitalism sure is hosed huh?" movies? anyways this one is hilariously bad and stupid, all the dialogue goes something like this:

*bad guy whose job title is TIMEKEEPER catches up the good guys * TIMEKEEPER: TIME OUT. looks like i am... just in time. and now you are... out of time. time... to face the timekeepers and do... your time

even the basic narrative is completely hosed and just falls apart around the halfway point.

i thought it was really funny how the writer clearly had no idea what to do with the worldbuilding at the halfway point and just ended up going uhhh and then they run around everywhere going on bonnie and clyde style timeheists because the bad guys forgot the concept of hired security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that's the song about doing crystal meth right?

Yeah even as a kid I knew it was about drugs and poo poo, we were like 10-12 and just laughing our asses off

(I came from a poor rear end neighborhood too, though, lmao)