Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Remember when he used to post in GIP and challenge the cops that used to post here to fistfights IRL?Pepperidge Farms remembers, as does anyone else who was posting/lurking here in 2011-2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I remember those.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean the standard for success at this point is 1) it happening and 2) no one died or was defrauded

edit:

What'd he do? From what I remember reading through on the forums the most horrible thing I vaguely remember was I believe someone had a gun shot wound or something and there where no medics around and he took it on himself to try to do untrained doctoring on a dude.

edit: not denying he couldn't have done really bad poo poo over there, just not remembering anything in particular.

he went over there with the prior intent of doing untrained doctoring posted a bunch of CC receipts for like $10k of specialized surgical kit that he justified with literally "I watched this on youtube 100 times I know what I'm doing" and was completely batshit well before the Libya adventure much less the Syrian one.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 30, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

Caro went through a lot of horrific stuff but as far as goon project's go gotta give it to him that was by far the most successful

You're not wrong, but goddamn.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

there were plenty of reasons he was forums famous before he disappeared and none of them were good

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Writing a story about how a mentally ill American was able to make his way into multiple conflict zones and participate in fighting under the guise of "freelance journalism" probably raises too many questions about the complete lack of attention that is paid to American mercenaries and their patrons.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
And that doctor most likely gave his life so that Caro would be known to the US and get out of there.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Naramyth posted:

Their big suppliers are Lam West and McCain. Both of which are mainly in the Idaho/Alberta area and the potato crop out there was awful this year because of drought.

There will be massive shortages or price increases on potato products soon. Supply chain is mega hosed and it’s not just potatoes. Oil and batter ingredient shortages are causing problems with production and some customers like “Wandas” are doing marketing blitzes about new fries because their old recipe is literally impossible because of the lack of ingredients.

Flexport seems to be a logistic company whose CEO needs attention. They've chartered three 747 flights to send potatoes to Japan, attributing the shortfall in-part because roads to the port in Vancouver got wiped-out by floods this year.

https://simpleflying.com/japan-boeing-747-potato-flights/

“A large serve of McDonald’s french fries weighs about 154 grams. That’s about 2.2 million large serves of french fries per plane.

This seems like a lot, but one person pointed out there are 2,975 McDonald’s outlets in Japan. McDonald’s 34,000 worldwide stores go through just over four million kilograms of potatoes per day. On a pro-rata basis, Japanese McDonald’s customers eat 375,000 kilograms of french fries a day. On these numbers, Ryan Petersen might have to back up for some further flying.”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wild https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1476432404109832193

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That number is skewed because many people on a vent also require dialysis as the meds to keep you under can gently caress up your kidneys.

There was a massive surge of new dialysis patients as a result in 2020 but almost all of them died.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

That number is skewed because many people on a vent also require dialysis as the meds to keep you under can gently caress up your kidneys.

There was a massive surge of new dialysis patients as a result in 2020 but almost all of them died.

Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I only know because my dad was on dialysis at the tail end of his ICU stay because of it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What's up with the monthly trend in every non-2020 year?

e: Oh, it's just January-July. Probably flu killing people already on dialysis.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I just watched a live interview on Fox with the Surgeon General of Florida. The interview was ended early because of what I can only describe as a series of emergency notifications coming from his cell phone.

He was on Fox to downplay the risks of COVID.

The next segment was with 4 cops, in full battle rattle, holding puppies in front of an American flag.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Florida governor died from COVID? Come on 7-11 daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MSharif1990/status/1476485423316623366?t=bH7I83CdoWAPvFDxMHkAqA&s=19

Sure thing buddy

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Did the Florida Health Person address WTF the governor has been? He apparently hasn't made any appearances for 13 days.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/12/30/florida-mayor-calls-out-ron-desantis-missing-omicron-surge/

quote:

ORLANDO (CBSMiami/AP) — As Florida goes through the latest wave of COVID-19, the mayor of one of the state’s largest counties has called out Gov. Ron DeSantis, saying he has been missing in action as some municipalities have brought back mask mandates and opened up new testing sites in response to overwhelming demand.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said local governments have been forced to figure out on their own, without help from the state, how to respond to the omicron variant that has rapidly overtaken the delta variant as the dominant strain of the coronavirus in Florida.

Florida hit a new record for daily cases last weekend, with the state reporting 32,850 new cases on Saturday. The state reported more than 29,000 new cases on Tuesday.

Demings said new restrictions placed by DeSantis and the Florida Legislature on actions that can be taken by local governments and private businesses to combat the virus have made fighting the pandemic more difficult. A new law signed by DeSantis last month prevents businesses from having vaccine mandates unless they allow workers to opt out. It also bars schools and governments from having vaccine mandates and allows parents to sue schools with masking requirements.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Desantis coding from a disease while his doctor is on live TV downplaying its effects is something out of a Cohen brothers movie.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Lake of Methane posted:

Did the Florida Health Person address WTF the governor has been? He apparently hasn't made any appearances for 13 days.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/12/30/florida-mayor-calls-out-ron-desantis-missing-omicron-surge/

COVID Briefing =/ Appearance. He's been seen in public and been on TV this week. They just keep using that same headline from the original Orlando Mayor quote or whatever. Basically it's the where is he have you seen him ... give any state updates???

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1476338743783026691?t=aSwVuxBLMKeP0yXajwcsXQ&s=19

The only number that matters is the stonks

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Who cares if grandma dies? Gotta get that Big Mac, homie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

10 day general strike when

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Boy, you know how else you could keep society running? Have no poo poo mask and vax mandates and close down Applebee's for a couple weeks. But then Applebee's stock might take a dip.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

That Works posted:

10 day general strike when

Never, labor is so neutered that your average worker would never bite Capital that feeds it scraps.

We have seen more local union stuff work out successfully but general strike is just too much while normal people have their treats and comforts

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Boy, you know how else you could keep society running? Have no poo poo mask and vax mandates and close down Applebee's for a couple weeks. But then Applebee's stock might take a dip.

I straight up don't think this would fly at this point. You'd have half the states actively fighting it if nothing else and banning all of it out of spite. People are also just straight up tired of it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's also a poo poo ton of people who would look at "another shutdown" and ask you what the hell you're talking about with "another". They never got one in the first place. They got some banging pots and pans, an article or two on some websites about being "critical personnel" then told "get the gently caress back to work no you don't get pay reflecting your critical status there's groceries that need to be scanned try not to die it's inconvenient."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have to work in person either way so I'd much rather have another quasi-shutdown just to clear traffic off the roads so I can get there in peace while people toss popcorn at their cats for wacky quarantine tik toks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My corporate masters tried to convince me to go into the office since I was an “essential” worker.
Lol we got massive ice road issues and the base shut down. If you aren’t security or fire don’t come in says the base commander.
Except for the printer team. You guys come in.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

We must keep people profits safe.

Beginning to think that the Illuminati is real but it's just a handful of Ferengi.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1476506386964131840?s=20

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have to work in person either way so I'd much rather have another quasi-shutdown just to clear traffic off the roads so I can get there in peace while people toss popcorn at their cats for wacky quarantine tik toks

honestly this was the best part. just amazing, carefree commutes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sacrist65 posted:

Desantis coding from a disease while his doctor is on live TV downplaying its effects is something out of a Cohen brothers movie.

A tale of two kitties?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For what it's worth on the Fauci stuff, the general scientific consensus is that the 10-day infected-isolation was legitimately too long to begin with. Most scientists I'm seeing think they got the five day period right except for a glaring problem - no mandatory antigen testing to get "out" of the isolation period (PCRs will pop positive for 12+ weeks after).

The generally-accepted periods are that you're basically infectious 1-2 days before symptoms and 2-3 days after the symptoms start. So the CDC went with a 5 day hard isolation and 5 day mask-only period, which probably should've been a 5-day isolation, test, then if negative, 5 days of masking. Close contact quarantines for the properly vaccinated are down to nothing but a mask mandate, with a theory that the mandatory 10-day masking will cover anything that bleeds out before symptoms start.

The dirty little secret in this deeply hosed country is that drat near nobody is actually following the isolation rules to begin with. In most cases, they can't afford the time off, or their employer is a bunch of dicks, or their hospital is stuffed to the gills full of unvaccinateds. At least these general guides are clear and might actually lead to people following them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth on the Fauci stuff, the general scientific consensus is that the 10-day infected-isolation was legitimately too long to begin with. Most scientists I'm seeing think they got the five day period right except for a glaring problem - no mandatory antigen testing to get "out" of the isolation period (PCRs will pop positive for 12+ weeks after).

The generally-accepted periods are that you're basically infectious 1-2 days before symptoms and 2-3 days after the symptoms start. So the CDC went with a 5 day hard isolation and 5 day mask-only period, which probably should've been a 5-day isolation, test, then if negative, 5 days of masking. Close contact quarantines for the properly vaccinated are down to nothing but a mask mandate, with a theory that the mandatory 10-day masking will cover anything that bleeds out before symptoms start.

The dirty little secret in this deeply hosed country is that drat near nobody is actually following the isolation rules to begin with. In most cases, they can't afford the time off, or their employer is a bunch of dicks, or their hospital is stuffed to the gills full of unvaccinateds. At least these general guides are clear and might actually lead to people following them.

The lack of mandatory testing at the end of 5 days is a major tell. Also where is the data that shows the negligible increase in spread by cutting from 10 days down to 5? I have not seen CDC or any other public data demonstrating that for alpha, delta vs omicron.

All of the epi people I follow are pretty meh on the 5 day change with most of them at best saying "well it's probably not too bad". Just not seeing a lot of argument from data for the change especially since like... 7 days ago we were still very cautiously evaluating how bad omicron would actually be.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There’s also the issue of if you add a testing requirement to end isolation, where are you gonna get the test right now?

Here in Chicagoland, there’s no rapid tests available unless you are going to wait hours in line.

While it’s (actually sincerely) great we have so many testing locations now, they’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by demand since before Christmas.

If you add a testing requirement, you’ll just cause more frustration since you can’t get it.

That’s not to say I support the CDC’s change. This feels like the mask bullshit in early 2020 all over again. Just be transparent. It’s not that hard.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

The lack of mandatory testing at the end of 5 days is a major tell. Also where is the data that shows the negligible increase in spread by cutting from 10 days down to 5? I have not seen CDC or any other public data demonstrating that for alpha, delta vs omicron.

These questions are basically why Michigan's like "yeah we have questions on this CDC poo poo, we're not adjusting our state recommendations at this time". The CDC would probably counter with "well, if we're wrong, that's why we have the mask-wearing requirement in the guidance".

But yeah, they're not posting their data (possibly yet), just summarizing their discussions. Europe isn't really convinced either. Professional sports are thrilled as they've been complaining for a while about it, strangely on both the union and the management sides. Wouldn't shock me if they're providing a lot of data to the feds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The fact that they let Dershowitz on to attack an accuser in a sex trafficking case. Its amazing he hasn't lost his tenure yet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CommieGIR posted:

The fact that they let Dershowitz on to attack an accuser in a sex trafficking case. Its amazing he hasn't lost his tenure yet.

correction: a sex trafficking case in which he is personally implicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

correction: a sex trafficking case in which he is personally implicated

https://twitter.com/AlanDersh/status/1476559155179757570?t=Ihvn7JscfYcT6priuuZ7AA&s=19

Dig up, stupid