Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I saw a headline in the news Fortnite's down right now so that's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lol @ this person retweeting some rando praising her own tweet from yesterday (which is also not in line with the actual available data).

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
Covid and Fungus - mornings shenanigans 5-9a on 100.1 KRQW!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
is there any actual evidence that it's mutating faster? Spreading yes, definitely, but I haven't heard anything about it mutating and being only a few changes away from full vaccine escape

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You're doing the lord's work with those stats twisto.

Lol it's literally my coping mechanism to try and convince myself that we're not all dead by Spring, I just post it because it makes it more real.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Scarodactyl posted:

Lol @ this person retweeting some rando praising her own tweet from yesterday (which is also not in line with the actual available data).

Omicron WILL break into your home and steal your valuables.

Omicron is well trained in Capoeira.

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

gottem

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

is there any actual evidence that it's mutating faster? Spreading yes, definitely, but I haven't heard anything about it mutating and being only a few changes away from full vaccine escape

I mean taking the claims in order:

- Correct, but literally nobody is claiming otherwise
- This goes against all of the currently-available information
- Correct, and nobody is claiming otherwise
- First part yes, see above, second part [Citation Needed]
- [CITATION loving NEEDED]

So 3 correct claims, one claim that is probably false, and 2 completely unsourced (and probably unquantifiable) claims. This is active disinformation, and particularly dangerous because they do the classic con of telling you things you know then trying to streamline their claims in with that past your critical faculties. This is way worse than the Fiegl-Ding "SIREN SIREN SIREN" gimmick and frankly makes me very, very suspicious of anything they have to say about anything.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So 3 correct claims, one claim that is probably false, and 2 completely unsourced (and probably unquantifiable) claims. This is active disinformation, and particularly dangerous because they do the classic con of telling you things you know then trying to streamline their claims in with that past your critical faculties. This is way worse than the Fiegl-Ding "SIREN SIREN SIREN" gimmick and frankly makes me very, very suspicious of anything they have to say about anything.

Aight much appreciated :) That's why I like this thread - straight facts and willing to call out the bullshit

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have you had a chance to peruse the #covidandfungus tweets because you sound like a denier

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

I love a good "your mom" joke.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

Have you had a chance to peruse the #covidandfungus tweets because you sound like a denier

#gonadsandstrife

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

HD DAD posted:

Omicron WILL break into your home and steal your valuables.

Omicron is well trained in Capoeira.

Omicron hosed my wife!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just based on the fact that it's more transmissible and will infect more people than prior variants (and probably more likely to infect/reinfect the vaccinated and previously infected than prior variants), the claim about omicron having a higher rate of mutation is likely true. not at the individual microbe level, but just because there will be more virus microbes in total, so more dice rolls.

whether omicron cases are as severe as past infections still remains to be seen, and the good news is that we are only a week or two from the "find out" stage that follows loving around, so we will have a good idea of the damage very soon.

the thing about being "a few mutations away from full immune escape" doesn't make sense and is just fearmongering.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
somehow we haven't done the whole "a dog in Tokyo tested positive for omicron" subplot yet, that was always a good one to me every other month because we all know that one person who was suddenly much more worried about covid in general when they feared their pet might catch it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My massive engineering consulting firm employer just sent an email changing policy from "offices open but in-person attendance voluntary" back to "everyone works remotely unless in-person presence is required". It's only until Jan 15 tho, I'm sure everything will be back to normal by then.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There’s at least one published paper suggesting that certain key mutations in the spike RBD lead to its having RBD-ACE2 affinity that’s orders of magnitude stronger than neutralizing antibody-RBD affinity. That may be what this person means by total immune escape. We really don’t want the spike-receptor binding to be vastly stronger than antibody-spike binding.

Anyhoo, talked to my dad and one of his good friends had a giant family Christmas get-together. Literally 100% of them now have covid. Fortunately my dad was not present.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has it been determined how high the R0 is for Omicron vs something like Delta? Because it's crazy how fast this thing is spreading when we have around 60% vaccination.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

withak posted:

My massive engineering consulting firm employer just sent an email changing policy from "offices open but in-person attendance voluntary" back to "everyone works remotely unless in-person presence is required". It's only until Jan 15 tho, I'm sure everything will be back to normal by then.

We're due for "starting back to normal" in late March but I'm sure that's gonna be pushed back by then

I have the option of going permanently remote. I've never actually physically met my coworkers but I may just stay remote, even if I am (relatively) close to the office. I'm finding I'm saving a lot in transportation costs and the like and honestly, the time I save not commuting has been beneficial to my mental health as well

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has it been determined how high the R0 is for Omicron vs something like Delta? Because it's crazy how fast this thing is spreading when we have around 60% vaccination.
I’ve seen estimates ranging from an R0 of 10 (Delta is about 7) to rivaling that of measles.

R0 isn’t the only important factor. Omicron-infected people are also infectious within like two days. Do that for every generation, and cases add up real fast.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zugzwang posted:

There’s at least one published paper suggesting that certain key mutations in the spike RBD lead to its having RBD-ACE2 affinity that’s orders of magnitude stronger than neutralizing antibody-RBD affinity. That may be what this person means by total immune escape. We really don’t want the spike-receptor binding to be vastly stronger than antibody-spike binding.

I think they follow Leonardi, who has been dooming about that happening for awhile now, so probably.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I have the option of going permanently remote. I've never actually physically met my coworkers but I may just stay remote, even if I am (relatively) close to the office. I'm finding I'm saving a lot in transportation costs and the like and honestly, the time I save not commuting has been beneficial to my mental health as well

I was made permanently remote in late November and I'm only about a 25 minute commute from the office. The monetary savings have been great but as I'm looking out at a road that's 2 inches of snow on top of ice, I'm really glad for my situation.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

might want to look up the definition of virulence, because literally everyone is claiming it's less virulent

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

We're due for "starting back to normal" in late March but I'm sure that's gonna be pushed back by then

My company seems to have got things almost suspiciously right on this. In March 2020 they went to WFH mandatory for all staff for whom it was an option[1] and started work on expanding the pool of staff for whom it was an option from 20ish percent up to 60ish percent by summer[2]. Come summer they went to "WFH optional" which was really just a sop to the middle managers suddenly panicking they had nothing to do but straight back to mandatory when it kicked off again in Autumn. Same again this year accept now the noises are very much "This is how things are going to be from now on".

A lot of this is of course a matter of very happy timing for them - they're in the middle of renovating their main campus (about 10k workers of whom the vast majority are WFH-capable) and so WFH is saving them a *fortune* in replacing the crappy 80s offices that most of them are in - those that do actually have to be onsite are in the buildings they've already built. They're probably going to just junk those buildings and call it some sort of eco-park or some poo poo, because it's looking increasingly like the ongoing savings in having the staff pay for electricity/rent/tea (and being willing to work longer hours) massively outweigh the ego-boost managers get from being able to stand over people's shoulders.

[1] Mostly techies who were already on WFH-optional shifts anyway
[2] There's a lot of people who literally do have to be on-site no matter what and alas the call centres are still packed in like battery hens but at least they have mandatory test and isolate with full sick pay.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gone Fashing posted:

might want to look up the definition of virulence, because literally everyone is claiming it's less virulent

You're quite right, I had a brain fart and thought it was simply a factor of how fast a virus replicates. In my defence I *did* know the difference but I guess I just got short-circuited because of all the discussion around Alpha and Delta being more damaging as a result of their faster replication in the host (although that itself was also heavily disputed).

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah its easy to mix it up. virulence meaning spreading quickly seems intuitive

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Lmao BJ just said you should go out and enjoy the NYE (but be sensible pretty pwease).

UK officially stopped giving a gently caress because there is absolutely no chance of not getting this poo poo unless you hermetically seal yourself inside your house.

I was doing a self imposed isolation since 21st for Christmas at my friends family house but been out now. Will deffo go out to a NYE party if I don't have it already.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
5 people I know, all of whom spent Christmas in different groups, tested positive today. This thing is burning through the UK like a wildfire.

Oh, also me. The chills last night sure were fun I tell you what!

Edit: worth pointing out that all of them were vaccinated, and most had their booster over the past week. I can only imagine how poo poo this would be without the jabs taking the edge off.

RGX fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 30, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Regardless of what you think about "we're all going to get it eventually" or long covid risk or what have you, now is categorically not the time to get covid. The hospital system is basically in free fall, and if you are in the unlucky minority of people who need to be hospitalized, you will have to wait for days to get a bed. And it's, uh, not ideal to have to delay treatment for days if you're hypoxic.

This will get worse over at least a few weeks before it gets better.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I am pretty much the only person in my social circle / work group didn't get it so far. All my clients had to close shop due to outbreaks or wfh orders,all my friends and their friends got it.

I'm like 200% going to get it, be it during using the tube or the bus for work or in a club/bar.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

look sometimes you just have to live life okay

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Bruh

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Zugzwang posted:

Regardless of what you think about "we're all going to get it eventually" or long covid risk or what have you, now is categorically not the time to get covid. The hospital system is basically in free fall, and if you are in the unlucky minority of people who need to be hospitalized, you will have to wait for days to get a bed. And it's, uh, not ideal to have to delay treatment for days if you're hypoxic.

This will get worse over at least a few weeks before it gets better.

Motherfucking THIS.

People minimizing it as a mild illness are ignoring the bigger picture and effect on society as a whole. Industries are strained, medical workers are killing themselves, and we are still not to NYE yet…

This last week has been ridiculous and I am skeptical as hell about rapid tests now so no even though you tested negative, I’m not going anywhere near you!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AHH F/UGH posted:

for every other time there's covid™

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

this user has previously mentioned not being a fan of socialization regardless, if you couldn't have guessed.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1476330805400064007

I feel like "good" is pretty objective when I know people who were in line for over four hours today, so perhaps it's more about a populace that is actually motivated to be tested than anything, but this is an important thing to observe

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

this user has previously mentioned not being a fan of socialization regardless, if you couldn't have guessed.

Oh yeah, when I checked unread posts I realised that but still

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

liz posted:

Motherfucking THIS.

People minimizing it as a mild illness are ignoring the bigger picture and effect on society as a whole. Industries are strained, medical workers are killing themselves, and we are still not to NYE yet…

This last week has been ridiculous and I am skeptical as hell about rapid tests now so no even though you tested negative, I’m not going anywhere near you!

Yeah at first my mom agreed it was COVID I had, her friend tested positive two days ago, tonight she told me I probably didn't have it because I wasn't sick long enough and it was just something mild, and tomorrow she's going to visit that friend again even though it's been like four days since the positive test :)

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to come out to visit anymore to be honest if this is the way she wants to act

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pinecone Sample posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I tested negative a day and a half ago, and I’m starting to feel like poo poo. I’m wondering if it’s jet lag affecting it but I also feel like how I felt from my second vaxx.

Iiiiim thinking it might be time for another test.

E: took it, I can get more if I need to ffs. I’m feeling real lovely so I may ask for my partner to get another one tomorrow and get some food to stock up on just in case.

E2: Negative, but I’m absolutely going to see what I can get and try testing once a day. I usually end up sick every time I fly out of JFK, but this seems too close for comfort.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2021