Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vintersorg posted:

Oh not them - I meant the gang tagging that desert homestead. They lingered on them putting their symbol there.

Given they were on speeders, I wonder if they are somehow linked to the human woman we saw in one of the trailers.

Also, I know the Tuskens have prohibitions about permanent structures, but you'd think they'd pause to go get some of the water the raiders left behind at the steading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Handen posted:

And what the gently caress happened to the Twi'leks? Bib Fortuna was a creepy sawtoothed monster that couldn't speak english and had glowing red eyes. All of the twi'leks in this episode were basically normal milquetoast humans with body paint and pointy hats.

Have you ever considered that maybe Bib Fortuna was just real loving ugly?

Mandrel posted:

I also was confused by the protocol droid comment, which was funny but what the hell is that attendant droid's job if he can't even speak any languages? Just to give unwanted opinions? gently caress off dude, get Fett some coffee

That's the torture droid from Return of the Jedi.

Probably the last of the old crew still in the building and Fett knew he needed someone to introduce the people coming in.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 30, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would you wanna wanga bib fortuna

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Have you ever considered that maybe Bib Fortuna was just real loving ugly?

That's the torture droid from Return of the Jedi.

Probably the last of the old crew still in the building and Fett knew he needed someone to introduce the people coming in.

I’ve never been more upset at matt berry hurting a poor innocent GONK like that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Should not have given Rodriguez the opening

Don’t know what they see in him as a director

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I thought boba would only be 3 eps?

I loved the Spot robot dog cameo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NowonSA posted:

Admittedly Star Wars TV is going to the dried up Tatooine well too often. I'd be fine with Boba expanding to inter-system crime lording the very near future (Hi I run a cartel, but a cool cartel based on respect not like Crimson Dawn which is based on cutting out tongues) and making the Obi-Wan show the last Tatooine thing they do for quite awhile.

I was fine handwaving the water fruit being around as an element of why having a moisture farm in the area made sense. I just assumed they were pulling it out of the atmosphere, and there's probably wookiepedia stuff to back that up, but it added up fine in my head. Maybe the water fruits help produce more moisture in the air in the area, I'd buy that.

Also, it takes a lot of water (or water-adjacent products, such as delicious blue milk) to support any kind of population, so it doesn't really bother me that there's at least a few methods of finding water in the desert. It also nicely explains how the Tuskens can live at all and survive off the land with how they seem to not really use any technology.

Also, I got the sense the kid knew where to look. Not that you can dig a shallow hole anywhere and get some fruit.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Man, I don’t know…

The whole ambush/parkour bit felt like the stunt shows they put on at theme parks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

I thought boba would only be 3 eps?

I loved the Spot robot dog cameo.

It was announced as 4, but I think they just kept filming.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Man, I don’t know…

The whole ambush/parkour bit felt like the stunt shows they put on at theme parks.

Rodriguez sucks

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1476370659521478657

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't care how many times Star Wars goes back to the Tatooine sand-well, I love it everytime.

It's a big dust ball with so much character. It continues to feel diverse and expansive even if the scenery is always the same.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I thought it was great. We've needed a "what happened to Boba after ROTJ" since 1983 and we are finally getting it. Since Fett showed up in Mando with a gaffi stick I figured there would be a story with the Tuskens and we are getting just that.

The new desert creature was interesting, it seems to be kind of inspired by Tharks from Barsoom.

We didn’t need one back then because he dies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if Fett didn't think to use his jetpack during the Ninja fight because the last time he did he fell down a sand vagina.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

We didn’t need one back then because he dies.

:actually: He returned pretty soon back then because he escapes the Sarlaac in an '83 Marvel Comic that takes place after ROTJ.

It's not until Dark Horse's Dark Empire does he officially survive.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

pik_d posted:

Here's the answer, I guess

So the symbol is just 'K', Not sure if that's someone's initial or something else?

The United States posted:

Kyle Katarn's got a posse

:aaaaa:

AndyElusive posted:

:actually: He returned pretty soon back then because he escapes the Sarlaac in an '83 Marvel Comic that takes place after ROTJ.

I love that comic; that very issue ends with him right back in the Sarlacc. It's like Lucasfilm was like "Yeah, you can play with our toy, but afterwards you put it right back in the box!"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

pik_d posted:

Here's the answer, I guess

So the symbol is just 'K', Not sure if that's someone's initial or something else?

Given the other trailer shots show them as a gang of Nikto, it's possible it just stands for Kintan, which is their homeworld. The Old Republic had a gang called the Kintan Kings, so they might have borrowed the gang name as a lore reference.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

teagone posted:

I had the same issue with the episode RR directed in Mando season 2. A lot of it didn't really feel or look cinematic to me and very much felt "fan film-y" instead. That's the best way I can describe it.

I too thought that was the weakest episode in Mando S2 for much the same reasons.

Disney are pretty bad at choosing directors for their Star Wars stuff.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 30, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Also I'm not sure the cinematographer from Clerks was necessarily on anyone's shortlist for the franchise either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Mando episode was the best thing RR has done in like 15 years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

teagone posted:

I had the same issue with the episode RR directed in Mando season 2. A lot of it didn't really feel or look cinematic to me and very much felt "fan film-y" instead. That's the best way I can describe it.

What is the reason do we think? What about RR specifically is causing this? Its weird because it has to be a director thing since none of the other episodes felt that way. Like the choices he is making. I felt like for the mando episode, one of the issues is they filmed on location, with what felt like either overlighting or natural (but very bright) lighting, which does give it that fan film quality. A bunch of guys dressed as stormtroopers playing in the hills.

Robot Style posted:

Also I'm not sure the cinematographer from Clerks was necessarily on anyone's shortlist for the franchise either.

Is it this? That was the only episode of mando he worked on and he is the guy for all of Book of Boba Fett.

I'd love someone who knows whats what who could show why.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

The United States posted:

Kyle Katarn's got a posse

Tell that to Kanjiklub.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The star tours pilot droid and max rebo being in the bar was cool.

Not really sure why a guy with a jetpack and arm guns sits inside a circle of shields instead of just flying to the top of a building and blasting them.

Sand Goro?

Tatooines entire industry is water harvesting but you can dig 8 inches anywhere and find unsealed things of water?

Gammoreans being regular fat dudes with oversized masks looks just as poo poo as it did in mandalorian.

Bobas actor is way too old and fat to be playing a 36 yr old. The guys 61 for Christ's sake. His armor looks ridiculous with his gut. RotJ boba was a skinny dude.

Eh this was pretty disappointing but I never gave a poo poo about boba anyway. Shoulda made a show with Bossk.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 30, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

banned from Starbucks posted:

Gammoreans being regular fat dudes with oversized masks looks just as poo poo as it did in mandalorian.

I think that's it. The original Gamorreans had big fat rubber arms, fat rubber legs and everything else was covered in leather and fur. These guys' bodies just look too skinny for their huge heads.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Battle Angel was very good, very well directed (moreso than anything in Mando), and he directed it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Alita loving rules . And maybe these pigs work out! But yeah - they look kinda dumb still.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

On a series derived from laser swords, space magic, and monsters/aliens, were my son and I entertained? Sure, absolutely. Was it better than The Mandolorian? Maybe not at this point, but Mando had its share of weak episodes along the way. It's a solid 8.5/10 start and I'm interested in watching the rest. I have a feeling that the Asohka Tano show might end up being be better, but whatevs.

The only thing that doesn't jive with Boba in Mando is the constant bacta infusions. He badassed his way through those episodes without breaking a sweat but now all of a sudden he's...immunocompromised? Boba from "The Tragedy" is kind of what I was hoping for here - a ruthless, unstoppable, killing machine capable of taking out an entire platoon of storm troopers in one go. This is what was alluded to in the preview at the end of Mando with how he slaughtered Bib without a second thought.

I liked the flashbacks, particularly the sarlacc pit with Jabba's destroyed ship in the background.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

IT BURNS posted:

The only thing that doesn't jive with Boba in Mando is the constant bacta infusions. He badassed his way through those episodes without breaking a sweat but now all of a sudden he's...immunocompromised? Boba from "The Tragedy" is kind of what I was hoping for here - a ruthless, unstoppable, killing machine capable of taking out an entire platoon of storm troopers in one go. This is what was alluded to in the preview at the end of Mando with how he slaughtered Bib without a second thought.
I think there's room even in the Mando episode to show him needing a breather after taking out the stormtroopers. After that he was just flying his ship.

The flashbacks showing him being affected by being in the Sarlacc and then being abused in the desert without any protection at all work for me to demonstrate that he's not at his physical peak, may never get there again after 5 years, and that perhaps explains why he's made the decision to rather rely on his cunning and wits to take over Jabba's operation in his own way than go back to bounty hunting.

Maybe that's how the series will end? Fully healed he realizes he can't cut it as a crime lord and goes back to bounty hunting?

I'd love for Filoni to really mix poo poo up and show Fett's prowess for leadership is genuine but after realizing he can't be a crime lord, he meets up with Omega who brings him to a planet populated by Clones and becomes the leader for his "brothers". That seems to me like a fitting arc for the Boba Fett seen in AOTC and the Clone Wars..

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It'll end with him getting chucked into another sarlacc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Alita. ALITA.

Jerkface posted:

What is the reason do we think? What about RR specifically is causing this? Its weird because it has to be a director thing since none of the other episodes felt that way. Like the choices he is making. I felt like for the mando episode, one of the issues is they filmed on location, with what felt like either overlighting or natural (but very bright) lighting, which does give it that fan film quality. A bunch of guys dressed as stormtroopers playing in the hills.

Is it this? That was the only episode of mando he worked on and he is the guy for all of Book of Boba Fett.

I'd love someone who knows whats what who could show why.

Probably a combination of the clerks guy + RR's budget-conscious sensibility.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Any clone left would be completely decrepit by now. Rex was already hurting a little bit during Rebels, and that’s almost a decade prior to Mando/Book of boba Fett.

i want to see Rex show up in live action sooner or later, I don’t care how old he’s going to look :unsmith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They retconned him into RotJ already

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

feedmyleg posted:

They retconned him into RotJ already

If you’re talking about the older guy with the strike team on Endor, that’s not Rex, it’s still a character named Nik Sant. Filoni once joked about making that character into Rex, but has since very clearly stated that he ultimately chose not to change that character to Rex. Hera says at the end of Rebels that Rex was at Endor, but in what role is unknown.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought Fett had to go for a soak because he got tazed like 50 times

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Really lovely assassins* just using the blunt end of their zappy spears and not the sharp bits.

* assuming they were actually trying to kill him

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Robot Style posted:

teagone posted:

clerks guy

Not to white-knight a total stranger here, but it's not exactly like David Klein has done nothing but static black & white shots since 1994.

He's been director of photography on a lot of stuff - true, a lot of Kevin Smith movies, which are not known for their dramatic camera work - but also shows like True Blood and Pushing Daisies. Now granted, I don't know which exact episodes he worked on, but I remember at least Pushing Daisies to be very pretty visually.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

After years of stories and novels and countless iterations of canonicity about how Boba escaped from the sarlacc (including one where I'm pretty sure he fell back in lmao), I really enjoyed how he just flamethrower-ed his way out in like five minutes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Not really sure why a guy with a jetpack and arm guns sits inside a circle of shields instead of just flying to the top of a building and blasting them.

He didn't want to leave Fennec behind, especially after their "get-her-over-the-shields" ploy failed

She doesn't have as much armor as Fett does, given she's a sharpshooter and sure, she can do fisticuffs, but those tend to not work very well against (energy) shields

If anything's brow-raise worthy, it's why Fett aimed a rocket at the shield itself rather than, say, the ground at their attacker's feet

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

If anything's brow-raise worthy, it's why Fett aimed a rocket at the shield itself rather than, say, the ground at their attacker's feet

He‘s bad a fighting Marauders in Doom Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Handen posted:

And the expedited rush to explain how Fett made it out of the sarlaac in three shots or less had the feeling of those cheap halloween mystery box gags you set up for elementary school aged kids. E.g., put your hand behind this curtain and feel the snakes (cold spaghetti), witches eyeballs (peeled grapes), and boogers (raisins in honey.) Like, okay, in the festering gut of an immortal sand worm, you and the other victim are both standing on a hard surface and there's enough air that the insides flap like curtains. And we get it bro, you vape. Not sure how that gave you the strength to punch through a living animal but okay. And how does he seemingly weigh 50lbs more than when he fell in? I can only suspend my disbelief so far.

And how the gently caress is his head covered in scars from the sarlacc stomach acid or whatever when he was wearing his helmet the entire goddamn time?

This is kind of at odds with my last post but I agree with this. RotJ is my favorite Star Wars movie but as a kid the entire beginning of the film was terrifying to me, what with the rancor and the horrifying premise of the sarlacc painfully digesting creatures alive in a burning choking pitch black stomach for a thousand years. This episode definitely makes the sarlacc way less scary, intentionally or not, showing that the stomach is shallow enough to be well-lit and breezy and you can just kind of stand up and walk around and pick at stuff.

I literally said this out loud when the creature appeared.