Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Kaedric posted:

Anyone get an early version of that cheaper DD wheel from Fanatec? Curious how it holds up.

The good news is it's really good, the bad news is the lead times are like, 6 months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Anyone have strong opinions about Grid Legends? Never played a previous Grid game and haven't heard anything about this one, it just popped up on steam. Certainly wouldn't mind something with a decent single player career and variety of series.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
It’s not coming out for another two months

The last few GRID games have been the kind of deeply mediocre game a studio shoves out just to renew licensing deals. I’m hoping this one doesn’t suck since there’s gently caress-all PC circuit driving games that play well with controllers these days but I’m not optimistic

Their focus for this one is the story mode, which, I guess it can’t be worse than DIRT 5’s dumbass podcasts, but I doubt it’s gonna be any good

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Always quickly fell of every GRID game I tried, the career modes weren't fleshed out enough to be worth it and the driving just felt never quite right to me. Forza (Motorsport) straddles the sim/arcade line way better imo.

Gave the AMS2 CART... I mean "Formula USA" a try and just generally tried out the recent updates and I think they finally dialed that engine in where I can enjoy it without always on some level thinking maybe I should play AMS1 instead.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

since I've now complained a number of times about the lack of good gamepad racing sims, I went and took a peek at the state of entry level racing wheels and... it seems not as bad as I expected, honestly. best buy has $400 G923s and T248s, which I assume are pretty good?

That said, I was hopin for something <$300, so I'm looking at these open box G29s on eBay, dunno if y'all have heard any horror stories about buying used/open box so thought I'd get a quick sanity check before slammin' purchase https://www.ebay.com/itm/352791376083

if that seems like a risky gamble I might step up to a higher tier, though it sounds like the T248 has some major issues for a $400 wheel and the G923 is so close to the G29 that it's hard to justify costing $150 more... (amazon actually has new G29s at $250 but it's like a one month backorder)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 4, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My first G27 was an open box and all it meant was literally that the box had been accidentally cut open at some point, all the original packaging was there. I've heard some people who've bought "open box" stuff say the box even still had the security seal on and it'd just gotten a corner pushed in at some point.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

alright, slammed purchase on that g29, will arrive friday

excited to finally play asseto corsa after buying the complete pack for like $8 on whatever sale was a year ago lol

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

alright, slammed purchase on that g29, will arrive friday

excited to finally play asseto corsa after buying the complete pack for like $8 on whatever sale was a year ago lol

You see a lot of returned g29/other entry level stuff like this because it's one of those things that if it grabs you you'll immediately want to invest in something more serious, and if you don't really like it it's expensive enough that people return it instead of tossing it in the closet.

I used a G29 from amazon for 2.5 months and then returned it for my money back to amazon when I bought some more serious equipment.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
All of the sudden I’m getting massive ~half second audio delay to my quest 2 over airlink. Anyone experience anything similar or have any ideas? I was contemplating a DAS but if I have to use my wireless headphones it’s pointless.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't had that issue with my quest but I generally still use a long cord for it since wireless leaves some of the performance on the table.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I haven't had that issue with my quest but I generally still use a long cord for it since wireless leaves some of the performance on the table.

lol I legitimately thought I had posted this in the vr thread and was getting a bit salty that like 5 pages had passed and no one had bothered a response. Thank you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GhostDog posted:

Dammit who let the poors in again?

no we're the landed gentry since even though we don't have real cars we can still afford a sim rig

VelociBacon posted:

You see a lot of returned g29/other entry level stuff like this because it's one of those things that if it grabs you you'll immediately want to invest in something more serious, and if you don't really like it it's expensive enough that people return it instead of tossing it in the closet.

I used a G29 from amazon for 2.5 months and then returned it for my money back to amazon when I bought some more serious equipment.

Yeah I did the exact same thing. Got one of those, enjoyed it on some level but wasn't impressed by the product itself and it seemed broken with some games, returned it and got a CSL Elite which I'm really happy with

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

got the g29 in and i am having fun crashing into things in assetto corsa. reckon if i end up liking sim racing enough to upgrade, i'll send this one on to my dad along with my ps4 - he used to love playing gran turismo on the ps2 with a logitech driving force, i'm sure he'd get a kick out of it.

not really sure what my goals are gonna be with this whole thing. i have assetto corsa and that's fun, but doesn't really have any, like, onboarding to racing. is there anything that does have that on pc, or is that strictly the realm of gran turismo license tests? if iracing has any kind of like "learn how to race" i wouldn't mind dropping some money on it

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

got the g29 in and i am having fun crashing into things in assetto corsa. reckon if i end up liking sim racing enough to upgrade, i'll send this one on to my dad along with my ps4 - he used to love playing gran turismo on the ps2 with a logitech driving force, i'm sure he'd get a kick out of it.

not really sure what my goals are gonna be with this whole thing. i have assetto corsa and that's fun, but doesn't really have any, like, onboarding to racing. is there anything that does have that on pc, or is that strictly the realm of gran turismo license tests? if iracing has any kind of like "learn how to race" i wouldn't mind dropping some money on it

The only modern sim with any kind of career or tutorial at all is Assetto Corsa Competizione which is strictly GT3 cars. Suggest either that or iracing rookie Mazdas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

iRacing will teach you to drive by beating you with a stick for failure.. Which does work if you're dedicated enough.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can race AI or so practice sessions with other people or test drive tracks by yourself in iRacing.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
If you’re not going to race multiplayer I’m going to recommend Automobilista 2. It’s got a huge variety of cars and tracks, it’s more performant and better looking than most, the AI is pretty decent, and semi trucks And 100hp go karts make a rocking multi-class race.
And turn off the driving line. I didn’t get better at racing until I turned it off. It’s scary and you will crash, but unless you only want to get better at following a line and becoming absolutely useless when there’s other drivers blocking your path, it’s what you got to do. It’s so much more fun to find your own way.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Stretching the definition of 'sim' but the practice challenges in the F1 series are quite good for teaching you how to play the game well, and teaching you that particular track and the apexes you want to hit

Anyways, the real reason I came here is I went on steam and it was advertising Project Cars 2 for me. Anyone wanna guess the price?

Yep, 59.99

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just mounted my secondary monitor so I can have it right up to my sim rig, therefore I can now play the non-VR games I had been missing.

https://i.imgur.com/4zq3xXD.mp4

Also I picked up a very unusual codriver, I think she's eastern European or something, doesn't say much but very reliable.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
a cute left don't cat

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Weird question: How do yall keep your wheels clean? I recently got the open wheel add-on for my TM T-300 and while I love it the foam handles get grimey. I've been wrapping it in tennis grips but even those get filthy in a couple weeks and its a pain to replace that often. I'd really like to avoid wearing gloves, as those getting sweaty and gross isn't super appealing either (and I generally prefer not wearing gloves). Is there something I can wrap the handles that can be wiped down and cleaned regularly?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
You can get some really lightweight gloves that aren't big thick weighty things, then you just chuck them in the wash with other clothes whenever, you can also buy a couple of pairs and rotate.

Some wheels have people making custom grips for them, but imo the best solution is gloves.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah gloves are the best bet. Also maybe a fan to keep your hands cooler?

E: I have these and they are extremely lightweight and breathable, and cheap enough to just try them out

https://www.amazon.com/NICEWIN-Full-Finger-Cycling-Gloves/dp/B085WZHCDK

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fox ranger (not padded) gloves are incredible for this. It's not just about keeping it clean, you don't have to grip the wheel as hard with gloves on and most modern MTB gloves have grippy rubber on the fingertips which is amazing for shift paddles etc.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
No matter what you do, if you use bare hands on a wheel there will be grime buildup because your skin will just shed. Doesn't matter how clean your hands are or how sweaty, it'll build up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just bought some cheap karting gloves.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh heh, email from the LFS guys, announcing some vehicle editor. Of course, there's still a casual mention of the once upcoming new physics.

I mean, a built-in 3D editor is doable, them loving new physics apparently not. :toot:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've used my motorcycle gloves a few times but generally there's plenty of grip on my wheel and I don't sweat all that much from my hands (different story on my forehead) so I keep it au naturale

Yes, that also means I race in the nude. :frogc00l:

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Welp guess I'm gonna have to buy some gloves! My hands do seem to sweat quite a bit (I also can't control the temperature in my apartment, so its perpetually warm), and I'm worried after a 45 or hour long race they're going to feel disgusting, but I guess it can't be more disgusting than the tennis grips turning brown. And washing gloves should be easier than rewrapping the wheel. And to be completely honest, I've shied away from gloves because I'm already insecure about my niche hobby and it feels like I'm taking it too seriously... but I can get over that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

To raise your confidence, just go whole hog and buy a complete suit of racing leathers and a helmet

e: in seriousness though the gloves are very practical for your situation so there is no need to be self-conscious about that

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I didn't think about this but I have a pair of thin full-finger cycling gloves for cool weather that have some grip on them which would be perfect for this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I mean, a built-in 3D editor is doable, them loving new physics apparently not. :toot:

It's plausible that the editor is a tool that already existed internally and was just cleaned up for public release, which would presumably be a lot less work than introducing a new physics engine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry sorry last one I promise

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I hosed up so many races because of sudden cat.

It definitely wasn‘t lack of talent, it was the cat.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also finding time after weeks to get to the simrig and drive a few laps, only to find the cat sleeping in the comfy racing chair. Welp….I mean miau….

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

anyone have a fanatec direct drive wheel base? i'm thinking of getting one of the new Gran Turismo DD bundles but i don't know what i'm really getting in to and if 8nm is enough pow pow.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
General consensus is they are great, but you should really get the upgrade for more power.

e; 8nm is the upgraded one, my mistake, that is fine

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 29, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The 8nm is 'enough', and if you go for more than that you'd have to make a proper rig if you don't have one already.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

KidDynamite posted:

anyone have a fanatec direct drive wheel base? i'm thinking of getting one of the new Gran Turismo DD bundles but i don't know what i'm really getting in to and if 8nm is enough pow pow.

I got the CSL DD and coming from a g29 it rocks. 8nm is good enough and you don’t need to drop over a grand just to get the base and a wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry sorry last one I promise