Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Voice of Labor posted:

the zenos paradox of project building. every bricklink order gets me 1/2 way to the end but never to the end

beautiful works as always Mr. Labor. Continuing to vote 5. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

just watched the numberphile video on zenos paradox and needless to say this is indeed... a strange concept.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987521

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

got the first guillotine protoype done. the crank will roll up the cord to lift the guillotine blade up, but there's too much friction, and the fit between the blade and the groove in the bricks is too loose, for the blade to come down by itself after it's brought up. fortunately I got a rod that will fit the groove perfectly (after some sanding) to which the blade can be crazy glued to, a tiny little bit of ballast and it should come down like a charm. using the rod also lets me get the stud spacing up to 4 instead of 3 1/2 which removes a bunch of jank and means that the head stock fits in next to the blade where it should.

got the stuff to build my little lego klansmen today as well. I've been ripping off the brick testament dudes camera techniques and lots of stylistic stuff, it'll be nice to finally just outright rip off one of his builds too.

https://thebricktestament.com/epistles/on_the_jews/04_1t02_14-15.html

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
hate to bring this negativity to the thread but I'm annoyed that after decades of no problems, this year I've opened up two new sets that each had a missing piece.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I kicked my Lego habit back when I went away to college and someone gave me an Elf Clubhouse set this week. Now, at 32, I need more Lego sets and thinking of how to setup an area in my basement for a Lego

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's the robot vision parts picker. happened to me on two sets this year too. missing piece in both cases was substituted for a really similar piece but of a different color.

it could also be a really clever psymark (psychological marketing) ploy by lego. like, if your set's missing a piece, you call lego and they send you out a replacement promptly with no hassle so you can't really be mad at them, but you also start to develop the notion that if you had a big enough collection of legos, you'd have a spare on hand and you could've had instant gratification. therein lego sells more kits, at the trivial loss of sending out a few replacement parts all the while incurring no damage to the brand and possibly improving brand image because customer service is good and more people have cause to interact with customer service

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
All my kids Lego sets have been intact so far, life is good

At some point I need to build a giant table for all this stuff though because its getting overwhelming

What's the best place to get knockoff minifigs? We got him a 60s Batman set but he wants the rest of the justice league

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

aliexpress. know that you'll have a 4-6 week time before delivery. also because the vendors only show the head of the figure and not the body or accessories or anything, it might take a little bit of browsing and pondering and guess work to order the figures you're specifically looking for.

e: in your case it should be easy because just poking around someone will have a "super hero figure set" or something similar and in the same group will be an obviously cowled batman and, like, an obviously green the martian manhunter head. hell, I've found john constantine and mister miracle minifigs. highlighting the fact that knockoff vendors make a bunch of minifig that lego doesn't

The Voice of Labor has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Dec 25, 2021

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

got the bonsai tree for Xmas and made it look at the thing

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the cherry blossom version of the foliage has like 100 pink frogs on it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mHOEsrJi9U

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

mastershakeman posted:

All my kids Lego sets have been intact so far, life is good

At some point I need to build a giant table for all this stuff though because its getting overwhelming

What's the best place to get knockoff minifigs? We got him a 60s Batman set but he wants the rest of the justice league

seconding aliexpress, very cheap, but the time on the shipping can be anywhere to 3 weeks ahead of time to 3 weeks behind expected deliver by date.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

alright legomaniacs, name things you find in a 7-11 parking lot or in front of a 7-11

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
redbox and cars and dumpster

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
legos are GAY

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

alright legomaniacs, name things you find in a 7-11 parking lot or in front of a 7-11

Drunk guy passed out on the sidewalk clutching half eaten taquitos

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

500 good dogs posted:

redbox and cars and dumpster

wife also suggested redbox so I spent more time than I would care to admit building a lego redbox tonight. dumpster was a good call, and I had one and I knew exactly where it was

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Wet trash

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
cigarette butts, broken dreams

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

losing scratch off tickets, propane exchange tanks, an ice bin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Crypto ATM

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
power meter, phone booth, crime scene

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
screaming crackhead guy

litter

guys hanging out by their car doing whatever they do

7-11 triangle shaped pizza container and discarded slurpies. (part of litter but more prominent)

lol at the concept of the Redbox being outside. even the dumpster is locked up and enclosed here.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

don't you live in southern california? kinda hard to make normative judgements based on a pathological case.

what my aesthetic sensibilities really want to put in is a payphone, but those don't exist anymore.

the guillotine is basically built, but I need a finishing nail or other small metal rod to make it functional. I could put a quarter slot on it and stick it in the background

e: no screaming crackhead, but I'm a flesh colored pair of minifigure legs away from having a member of the unhoused community protesting the lack of hygiene facilities by making GBS threads on the side of the building

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

except for one pretty minor thing, all the stuff for 31 flavor salute is built. gonna try and get everything set up, posed and shot tomorrow. in the meantime dig the 711

punk kids: check. car: check. elephant: check

john constantine (pronounced "tine" like the tine of a fork) entering the PASSENGER SIDE of a right hand drive vehicle. no the 711 did not have silk cuts so he had to settle for a carton of 555s. the invocation used to cover the cost and taxes was so powerful an entire plotline was based around its consequences

the redbox because I know you freaks want to see it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

he'll yeah

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

except for one pretty minor thing, all the stuff for 31 flavor salute is built. gonna try and get everything set up, posed and shot tomorrow. in the meantime dig the 711

john constantine (pronounced "tine" like the tine of a fork) entering the PASSENGER SIDE of a right hand drive vehicle. no the 711 did not have silk cuts so he had to settle for a carton of 555s. the invocation used to cover the cost and taxes was so powerful an entire plotline was based around its consequences

i love it. my gf got my the bookstore for christmas and i finally finished it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Lady Militant posted:

i love it. my gf got my the bookstore for christmas and i finally finished it

that tree is really cool

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Marzzle posted:

that tree is really cool

i know! i love the lil blue bird. i really wanna get more buildings now to have a lil town

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I looked at the set online and a guy has a book called "moby brick" :3:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

31 flavor salute "teaser"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
rofl

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's gonna be at least another day of shooting and editing to get this done

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

31 flavor salute

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989678

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I finally found an appropriately sized metal rod for my leguillotine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

send this to the louvre

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

voted 5.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the lunar new year set is about the oppressed rising against their oppressors

workers against bosses

children against parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dollar store.

$3 to build the

AXE MURDER

the future commute continues

I doubt I'll ever get around to doing it, but a game riffing on thunder road done with little post apocalypse lego future commuters could be pretty cool