Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kalit posted:

I'm assuming this is the study for a lot of the 5 day vaccinated/7 day unvaccinated talk: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/breakthrough-sars-cov-2-clear-quickly-less-likely-to-spread-infection/

quote:

People who are vaccinated for SARS-CoV-2 but get breakthrough infections may be less likely to spread the virus because they shed it for a shorter period than unvaccinated people who are infected, according a new study led by Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Virus production and the duration of acute infection were similar for all of the variants. However, breakthrough infections in vaccinated individuals cleared faster—on average, in 5.5 days—than infections in unvaccinated individuals, which took an average of 7.5 days to clear. This finding suggests that people with breakthrough infections may be as infectious as unvaccinated people in the early stage of their infection, but that those with breakthrough infections are infectious for a shorter period and therefore less likely to transmit the disease to others over time.

Although this study provides some of the first direct data for virus production across variants and vaccination status, the authors caution that it was conducted in predominantly young, male, and healthy participants, and is therefore not representative of the general population. Further research in other populations is needed.

Bolding my own. Doesn't look like a slam dunk case to take the unnecessary risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

People with vaccines ARE getting covid, going to the hospital, experiencing long covid, and dying. Pointing this out doesn't mean the vaccines are useless, just that there is more the government can do.

It is a tiny fraction, though.

The fatality rate for someone who is boosted is 0.01% and every single one of those 0.01% was over age 70.

Unvaccinated people are also 13x more likely to get infected and 21x more likely to experience symptoms - and those figures are only for 2 doses and not counting boosters.

If the U.S. had a 99% vaccination rate for all adults in June 2021, then we would have reduced the total deaths by 98.2% and hospitalizations by 91% from then until now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 29, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If the unvaccinated are the primary drivers of covid spread, then it definitely seems like the government needs to do more to get them vaccinated beyond just asking pretty please with sugar on top.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

If the unvaccinated are the primary drivers of covid spread, then it definitely seems like the government needs to do more to get them vaccinated beyond just asking pretty please with sugar on top.

That would require infringing on FREEDUMBS and we simply cannot do that.

Pay no attention to the fact that the unvaccinated on a regular loving basis infringe on people's freedoms by openly spreading a loving deadly plague to vulnerable populations

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Look, I’m pretty pissed that my office is making me go back Monday. It seems insane to me, to not at least wait a couple of weeks for more data on Omicron. But that’s not even “capitalism” because the company is doing fine financially without open offices; it’s just the petty tyranny of the management busybody, and that is something that does not require capitalism to function and vice versa.

If only you and your fellow workers owned your workplace and could put covid policies to a democratic vote rather than be forced to submit to the whims of the owning class.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

That would require infringing on FREEDUMBS and we simply cannot do that.

Pay no attention to the fact that the unvaccinated on a regular loving basis infringe on people's freedoms by openly spreading a loving deadly plague to vulnerable populations

It sure would be nice is the federal government did something about it. Maybe enforce vaccines for domestic travel? Or not create loopholes in OSHA mandates? Or even provide direct payment for the vaccinated?

But this is a state level matter unfortunately.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

This is just straight up dangerous lies at this point, you have numbers of the "same rate of infections" between vaccinated and unvaccinated?

punishedkissinger posted:

is this backed up by actual data or ?

small butter posted:

Source?

Boosters prevent infection by 75%

As of today, cases are 5x greater for the unvaccinated and the unvaccinated die at 13x the rate:

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count https://nyti.ms/39jvJEY

Even if the vaccinated do get sick, they will surely be sick shorter with a lower average (not peak) viral load and less opportunity to spread.

The unvaccinated are the biggest drivers of the disease. This isn't even a question.

Don't let anecdotes cloud what's actually happening.

Do y’all like follow the news? There’s been a new variant called Omicron.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/18/omicron-variant-denmark/

quote:

Denmark’s data shows people with two doses to be just as vulnerable to omicron infection as the unvaccinated.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Wang Commander posted:

Infections and therefore spread seem to be occurring pretty much at the same rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated now. Actually containing covid is decoupled from vaccination until we get variant boosters (late 2022 if they're considered worth it, which no one seems to think at this point)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maybe the NUMBERS are similar (daily infections), but given that the majority of people are now vaccinated the rates of infection are far higher for the unvaccinated.

And looking at the NYC numbers the rates aren't even close.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Bolding my own. Doesn't look like a slam dunk case to take the unnecessary risk.

Oh yea, I 100% am not excusing the CDC's change in guidelines based on this of course. I was just answering punishedkissinger's question about the 7 days being based on actual data or not.

Fister Roboto posted:

TBH, it largely depends on SCOTUS's ruling next month about the regularly test or vaccinated mandate affecting companies with more than 100 employees.

If they uphold that mandate, hopefully it will make a substantial difference in getting more people vaccinated. On top of that, I expect more mandates would be announced that would be less likely to be struck down too.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 29, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kater posted:

Yes, in a population with high vaccination rates and a small population of unvaxxed, more confirmed covid cases are going to be from vaccinated people, because those are the majority of the population. That is not the same across the board, you're not going to see a similar breakdown in the US where vaccination rates are abysmal, nor are Denmark's per capita covid numbers likely to be anything like the US.

e: To be clear, it's already known that vaccinated people do contract and spread the virus, and the NPI measures currently in place in most places aren't strong enough to halt or even slow the spread, people should be getting vaxxed and boosted at appropriate intervals, and that the recent CDC guidance is abysmal. But we shouldn't be looking at Denmark's numbers and going "whoa this means the vaccines are useless!"

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 29, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

camoseven posted:

Ok I'll try to convince my toddler and all her toddler friends to get vaccinated. Oh wait.... they can't!!!!

stack em like 4 high under a trench coat, they'll vaxx at least one of them

repeat x4

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sell safari style packages where you drive through cities and towns shooting vaccine darts at the unvaccinated from your car.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Kalit posted:

Oh yea, I 100% am not excusing the CDC's change in guidelines based on this of course. I was just answering punishedkissinger's question about the 7 days being based on actual data or not.

TBH, it largely depends on SCOTUS's ruling next month about the regularly test or vaccinated mandate affecting companies with more than 100 employees.

If they uphold that mandate, hopefully it will make a substantial difference in getting more people vaccinated. On top of that, I expect more mandates would be announced that would be less likely to be struck down too.

Is this SC case going to result in a ban requiring any vaccination? It seems like it would fit for our timeline.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

dalstrs posted:

Is this SC case going to result in a ban requiring any vaccination? It seems like it would fit for our timeline.

They haven't so far. My assumption is they are holding all their cards to strike down abortion. Otherwise I wouldn't be the only voice stating the Supreme Court is illegitimate.

vvvv the only way I see it being struck down is more so to gut OSHA’s authority than the vaccine mandates.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 29, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

dalstrs posted:

There is a 1905 SCOTUS ruling in favor of requiring a smallpox vaccination during the smallpox epidemic: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449224/. IANAL, but with any luck, SCOTUS will just point to that and rule it constitutional?

If they rule against the mandate, I honestly have no clue how that would impact other vaccine requirement legal challenges. I'm guessing it would depend on the justification for this ruling and how the legal challenge relates to these rulings :shrug:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 29, 2021

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Otherwise I wouldn't be the only voice stating the Supreme Court is illegitimate.

It doesn't matter how many people say that, because it means nothing.

Michael Penis
Dec 15, 2021

by sebmojo

dalstrs posted:

They've upheld state vaccine mandates and disallowed religious exemptions from them. However, this is probably a result of a deal between the libs and the conservative judges. Uphold vaccine mandates and we strike down Roe v. Wade 9-0.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Because you aren't just starting there, you're stopping there, which was my original point? It's thought-terminating and you're deploying it to the same effect here lol

Not at all. That's why I said I agreed with Virtualboy's suggestions:
- must be vaccinated for air travel
- deliver free covid tests
- OSHA rules for ventilation to combat Covid
- deliver free N95 masks
- guidelines to use N95 masks

And yeah, I took out "not giving in to the damands of capital" because I think it's vague to the point of uselessness, but sure.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is why there is a push for mandates. Is it sufficient? No. Is it more than just asking pretty please with sugar on top? Yes

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would really appreciate getting (outdoor if possible) fitting assistance with N95 masks because I haven't found any mask that fits me well enough to preventing fogging (sun)glasses.

I also think the FDA/customs should consider doing something about counterfeit (K)N95 masks, and the CDC should recommend wearing genuine N95s and provide instructions and guidance on achieving a good fit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news, I guess?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1475973360790159366

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

kater posted:

I'm not sure what vaccines they use in Denmark and whether this is in line with other studies, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that the vaccinated are just as vulnerable to infection as the unvaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna. With a booster, it's 75% protection against catching Omicron.

Did you see the NYT article that details who's catching covid now, when Omicron is the majority of cases? x5 higher for the unvaxxed. Leon said it's like x12, maybe, but just in terms of who's responsible for the vast majority of cases now, it's the unvaccinated.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is a tiny fraction, though.

The fatality rate for someone who is boosted is 0.01% and every single one of those 0.01% was over age 70.

Unvaccinated people are also 13x more likely to get infected and 21x more likely to experience symptoms - and those figures are only for 2 doses and not counting boosters.

If the U.S. had a 99% vaccination rate for all adults in June 2021, then we would have reduced the total deaths by 98.2% and hospitalizations by 91% from then until now.

Do you have a source for "13x more likely to get infected and 21x more likely to experience symptoms"? It's not easy info to find. Is this for Omicron as well?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

While I generally distrust the Hill, the headline appears accurate. also only minimally breaking, it boils down to "Biden is pestered on an outing and confirms previous position" lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sources later report that upon studying the big bag of money into their pockets, the medical team does not recommend any sort of vaccine requirements.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

the_steve posted:

Sources later report that upon studying the big bag of money into their pockets, the medical team does not recommend any sort of vaccine requirements.

wouldn't the money be in vaccinating people?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

small butter posted:

I'm not sure what vaccines they use in Denmark and whether this is in line with other studies, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that the vaccinated are just as vulnerable to infection as the unvaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna. With a booster, it's 75% protection against catching Omicron.

Did you see the NYT article that details who's catching covid now, when Omicron is the majority of cases? x5 higher for the unvaxxed. Leon said it's like x12, maybe, but just in terms of who's responsible for the vast majority of cases now, it's the unvaccinated.

Do you have a source for "13x more likely to get infected and 21x more likely to experience symptoms"? It's not easy info to find. Is this for Omicron as well?

The study was only for the alpha and delta strains.

Vaccines reduce the chance of infection by 80-88% and if a vaccinated person does get infected, then it reduces their viral load and infectiousness by an additional 41-79%. That is only for two doses.

quote:

Vaccine effectiveness against susceptibility to infection was 80-88%. For breakthrough infections among vaccinated individuals, the vaccine effectiveness against infectiousness was 41-79%. The overall vaccine effectiveness against transmission was 88.5%. Vaccination provides substantial protection against susceptibility to infection and slightly lower protection against infectiousness given infection, thereby reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to household contacts.

One-Sentence Summary: Vaccination reduced both the rate of infection with SARS-CoV-2 and transmission to household contacts in Israel.

quote:

Vaccinations are massively reducing the chances of people getting long COVID in two ways: firstly, by reducing the risk of any symptoms by 8 to 10-fold and then by halving the chances of any infection turning into long COVID, if it does happen.

quote:

When a third dose is administered, the protection from experiencing acute symptoms is reduced by nearly 94% compared to an unvaccinated individual.

https://www.qps.com/2021/10/06/covid-19-symptoms-in-the-vaccinated-vs-unvaccinated/
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.13.21260393v2

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wouldn't the money be in vaccinating people?

No, the real money is in consulting firms that burn through millions of dollars of donor money and are all very well paid putting out puerile, condescending PR media and then kayfabing how surprised they are it didn't work as they count their tax-sheltered donorbux.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

No, the real money is in consulting firms that burn through millions of dollars of donor money and are all very well paid putting out puerile, condescending PR media and then kayfabing how surprised they are it didn't work as they count their tax-sheltered donorbux.

I mean that's millions, now how much does another half of a billion of shots cost plus less economic slowdown due to more people being fully vaxxed and boosted cost?

p sure the money is hugely, massively on the side of 'just mandate vaccines+boosters for everyone.' the big issue is the, uh, human element preventing that

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The real missed opportunity is the world’s failure to get behind Covax and vaccinate in poor countries where people still want and can’t get the shot. That is huge when you put it next to FAA regs.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i apologize for posting something that did not meet the scholarly standards of us current events december. i made the foolish mistake of assuming that the subject would be interesting to talk about, but thank you all for making it clear nothing has changed and this remains one of the most toxic threads in the entire forums.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 30, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

quite an illuminating analysis of the seeming contradiction between growth in jobs and "no one wants to work anymore"

https://twitter.com/LeftistMoniker/status/1476173986065223680

tl;dr: companies are posting a shitload of job openings that they have zero intention of ever filling so that they can get their PPP money forgiven, and are just dumping the loan into stock buybacks. that's why so many jobs have insane requirements and poo poo pay, they dont ever intend that job to be filled.

I went through this guy's entire thread there and he posts no proof at all?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

quite an illuminating analysis of the seeming contradiction between growth in jobs and "no one wants to work anymore"

https://twitter.com/LeftistMoniker/status/1476173986065223680

tl;dr: companies are posting a shitload of job openings that they have zero intention of ever filling so that they can get their PPP money forgiven, and are just dumping the loan into stock buybacks. that's why so many jobs have insane requirements and poo poo pay, they dont ever intend that job to be filled.

Is this just a random Twitter guy? Come on, stink.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How are u posted:

It's a pretty well-cited thread actually. You should have a look at it before you make kneejerk judgments like this.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

How are u posted:

lol his bio literally says "just saying things".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
some dude just saying things who averages like 20 likes

Majorian posted:

It's a pretty well-cited thread actually. You should have a look at it before you make kneejerk judgments like this.

well cited as in he links a handful of loosely related article, none of which are about what he's specifically alleging

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 30, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Uh, the PPP program was about maintaining existing employment, not creating new jobs. Companies could do things like stock buybacks if they kept the PPP funds separate, and the condition for loan forgiveness was if the money from the loan went into payroll and they maintained present employment levels. It was a broad-spectrum stimulus bailout to keep companies from downsizing during the pandemic, which...is what they did if they wanted to keep the money (or "keep" it, since they had to spend it). A lot of companies that weren't under payroll pressure just took the money, used it for payroll, and pocketed the equivalent amount from their holdings. This happened a lot because the loans weren't means-tested past some pretty broad employee count criteria. There was also some pretty widely reported fraud from companies making up employee count documentation. Companies didn't have to post new job openings; the entire "due diligence" claim has no relation to the PPP program's requirements. The rest of the thread is nonsensical past that point, which is pretty early on.

Look, here's the information about the forgiveness requirements.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

If you could share those citations that'd be great, I saw nothing he posted that came even close to backing up what he was asserting?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

some dude just saying things who averages like 20 likes

well cited as in he links a handful of loosely related article, none of which are about what he's specifically alleging

One of which he says not to read that the "headline is enough" which seems par for the course for a great deal of the stuff posted here.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
ctrl+c, ctrl+v, submit post

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

i apologize for posting something that did not meet the scholarly standards of us current events december. i made the foolish mistake of assuming that the subject would be interesting to talk about, but thank you all for making it clear nothing has changed and this remains one of the most toxic threads in the entire forums.

:laffo: why do you think it’s toxic to question if what you’re posting from a random person is factual? If what you were posting was credible, it would have been easy to provide the evidence

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 30, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1475945165726654470?s=20

The woman who said Bernie Sanders made her skin crawl is an abuser enabler, not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on trafficking