Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
In the middle of a move and can't get to my bikes top end yet. I wish I could ride.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Top ends are a scam

Run it forever

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I split the cases on my XR200, assuming I find all the transmission parts I dropped on the floor and put it back together, what sealant should I use between the cases? Hondabond 4? Permatex Grey?
Just the gasket that came in the kit? It appears there was some grey goop gluing the cases together when I split it, so I should probably put them back that way.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
arent you just supposed to use grease + a proper gasket to close it back up? id always heard rtv/some gasket sealants will just come loose on contact with hot oil and gum up poo poo elsewhere ie the oil galleries

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I went to the bike store and they sold me Hondabond HT - it looks like what came off so I will give it a go.

I broke third gear, and I bought a spare engine - I may just swap the cylinder on the parts bike once i get into it instead of putting the cases back together.
I took the transmission apart to see how hard it was to get the gears off, and now I don't remember the order of gears.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
1-N-2-3-4-5?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

8-6-7-5-3-N-9

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Tommy TuTone's side gig was in motorcycles, who knew

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

8-6-7-5-3-9-3-9-3-9-gently caress-N

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Strife posted:

This person rides dirt bikes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Strife posted:

Lol

barely pressing on the lever to go 2-N, and THUNK, 1st gear again bitch :rant:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
8-6-7-5-n-n-9

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

scrawl something funny inside the case

I suggest "butt"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
"LOL Sorry"
Xoxo - PO

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
“Oops” in the language of the manufacturer.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

i'd go with the tried and true 'Blyat'

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
After several adventures including the spare engine having a rusted seized cylinder, the "spare" transmission being in bad shape so can't swap entirely over, dumping my sorted box of gears and the kickstarter bearing being spun on the existing transmission, its stacked together.
I couldn't swap the kickstarter gear (the long one at the top) as the tooth counts were different for some reason, so I had to press out one from the spare and press it into the old. Luckily it took more fretting about it than actually doing it.

No "Butt" in the cases yet, but probably will add.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
That looks almost identical the the engine I'm working on. Last week the box containing all the cleaned bits of transmission fell off the worktop onto the floor. My reaction was to to close my eyes and say "no, no that's the worse possible thing that could have happened." Fortunately the Haynes manual thinks I have all the bits back together

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Well, you can rest easy in that also dumped my box of transmission (and all engine parts) on the floor too.
One day I will learn balancing boxes of stuff on whatever is close is a horrible idea, but that day is not today.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bookmarking this thread. Just bought a beat up 2001 Yamaha TT-R 225 as babies first motorcycle and dirt bike to learn to do some trail riding around here in Ontario. At first it seemed to have fuel delivery issues (petcock and overflow were leaking fuel) but I'm pretty sure I fixed it and it was just a stuck float valve in the carb. Front right fork needs new seals because they're weeping oil but that's another easy fix, parts are already inbound. The bike came with basically a full compliment of riding gear so that's bonus.

I have a buddy who's getting in at the same time (with a lot more riding experience - nothing on dirt though), and he wants to compete - probably doing enduros and cross-country. I'm a rally/rallycross driver/co-driver as well so I can see myself getting there eventually too, but first I gotta learn to ride lol.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
rally moto is cool and good

my fav memory of sandblast rally was in new racer orientation. the room was mostly new moto racers, couple car folks and like one SXS guy.
the speaker was going over transit instructions/basics when the SXS guy raises his hand and asks "what do i do about nav if i don't have a codriver?"

all the moto dudes chuckled "use your left hand"

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Bought the kid a TTR50E for when my honda is back up and running.
Hopefully there will be nothing to do but ride it.

We have these chinese 2 stroke pocket dirtbikes now, and they like riding them but its too small for the 7 year old.
He also filled the crankcase with water on our last outing, and I ripped the pullstarter off trying to restart it.
Only good thing about those was I have 3 of them for $500, and you can buy everything on amazon for $20 a piece.
They put the air intake pointed at the rear tire, so water(or sand, or anything) just gets injested when you go in a puddle.

Hopefully I can get it running again for the 5 yr old.

Honda progress - closed up one side of it, need to put the piston and that side back on.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm considering a move to the Portland area. Right now I am in Eastern Washington and ride mostly at Juniper Dunes, which is desert shrub + some smaller sand pits and dunes.
I've been to Sandlake last year and that was great. I've also been to McCubbin gulch and that was also ok if a bit small. I'm aware of Tillamook State Forest but my understanding is that the trails are pretty gnarly, which usually doesn't work out for my kids (14 & 17).
What else is there?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm far from an expert (and also curious about the question) but my impression is the tilamook stuff is pretty varied - theres a lot of 4x4 and ATV trails in addition to gnar single track. Theres also the area on the NW side of Mt. Adams thats a ways from PDX but has a cool mix of riding, again not familiar with all of it but on my limited time in the area I found some pretty mellow stuff to explore.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been on the NW side of Adams and it seems like you needed a street-legal dual sport pretty much everywhere since it's National Forest.
This was around Lake Takhlakh

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thats the area and yeah its all in NF but theres quite a bit of OHV areas that AFAIK dont need plates

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oooooh that's right, I remember now. There's the Blue Lake OHV area and I did ride there. I took a wrong turn and went down some expert level trail though. That wasn't great, otherwise very nice area and trails.

Probably a good 3 hours away from Portland though. I'll admit to being spoiled currently as Juniper Dunes is 30 minutes from me.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
The browns camp staging area of the TSF will have the most access to the beginner friendly trails. That’s where a lot of my friends take their kids. It’s also the most crowded staging area since it is the first major staging area you hit from the city. That aside , it’s a great spot. The trails tend to get more technical the farther you head west down 26.

The hardest riding I have ever done is up in the Bluelake / dark divide area. Even the easy trails can have huge exposure. Go there if you’re ever feeling confident and need to be humbled.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 30, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ant mouth posted:

The browns camp staging area of the TSF will have the most access to the beginner friendly trails. That’s where a lot of my friends take their kids. It’s also the most crowded staging area since it is the first major staging area you hit from the city. That aside , it’s a great spot. The trails tend to get more technical the farther you head west down 26.

The hardest riding I have ever done is up in the Bluelake / dark divide area. Even the easy trails can have huge exposure. Go there if you’re ever feeling confident and need to be humbled.

browns camp is perfect. it’s where I started riding dirt bikes with my dad

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Whatsup dirtbike dudes.

Got the Husky out of storage after 9 months.

1 squeeze on the starter to warm the battery up and another to crank it over and fired right up.

Wanting for traction on the old backyard circuit with the weather we've been having, giant rear with a mud-centric tire helps a lot.

Man it feels good to get back on a bike after a long hiatus.

64 hours and about 1000mi on it so far.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nice

I think the top end in my WR is finished so I'll have to rebuild it before I ride again. I also happened to hurt my back twice last year, not while riding, so I haven't ridden a lot since then and I'm eager to get back out. Our northwest weather has been wetter and colder than normal, and the mountains have been getting pounded with snow so it might be a while before the higher elevation areas are open again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Finally got out for a real ride, my buddy I was supposed to go with is sick, so that was a non-starter, went out riding anyways.

I was worried about the charging system when I set out because the bike really didn't want to start in staging, I think it was just a little flat from my ride around the yard because it was fine every time I started it after that.

I took it slow and took lots of pictures.

The waterproofing in my Tech 7's is shot, but that that makes a difference when you're riding through 12"+ deep puddles.

This picture would have beautiful views of the Olympics if it wasn't so hazy.

Riding across these bridges always scares me.

I think someone got married out here in middle of the woods.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 18, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Where's this at?

Haven't been able to ride since right before Christmas. It's been below freezing or right above it this entire time and gently caress riding in that cold. Plus a bunch of snow.
Looks good for next weekend though, so I hope to get some time in at Juniper Dunes then.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where's this at?

Haven't been able to ride since right before Christmas. It's been below freezing or right above it this entire time and gently caress riding in that cold. Plus a bunch of snow.
Looks good for next weekend though, so I hope to get some time in at Juniper Dunes then.

Tahuya State Forest in Washington State.

Snow is where I decide that not riding is the right call.

I love riding in the winter out here though, not a lot of other people are willing to brave mid-40's and drizzly weather, so if you do, you get all the trails to yourself.

E: Time to go riding!

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 18, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Elviscat posted:

Tahuya State Forest in Washington State.

Snow is where I decide that not riding is the right call.

I love riding in the winter out here though, not a lot of other people are willing to brave mid-40's and drizzly weather, so if you do, you get all the trails to yourself.

mid-40's is great, below that not so much.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Finally got out for a real ride, my buddy I was supposed to go with is sick, so that was a non-starter, went out riding anyways.

I was worried about the charging system when I set out because the bike really didn't want to start in staging, I think it was just a little flat from my ride around the yard because it was fine every time I started it after that.

I took it slow and took lots of pictures.

Riding across these bridges always scares me.

Ha, I recognized the staging area from the first pic. I love riding out there though I don't think I've ever been this time of year. I can only imagine its really wet and sloppy meaning you'll end up soaked but that's true for riding tahuya anytime there's been recent rain. I've ridden on bone dry days on sweltering heat and my boots were filled with water.

That's where I learned exactly how slick and slimy wet logs can be. First one I ever tried to hop over put me straight down on my face. Those bridges can be terrifying. I really wish they had more traction material on them. Some are better than others. I think there's one that's just bare wood planks and it's sketchy when damp. I've seen so many people slide out when they're wet and slimy. They basically turn into ice.

Verman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 18, 2022

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verman posted:

Ha, I recognized the staging area from the first pic. I love riding out there though I don't think I've ever been this time of year. I can only imagine its really wet and sloppy meaning you'll end up soaked but that's true for riding tahuya anytime there's been recent rain. I've ridden on bone dry days on sweltering heat and my boots were filled with water.

That's where I learned exactly how slick and slimy wet logs can be. First one I ever tried to hop over put me straight down on my face. Those bridges can be terrifying. I really wish they had more traction material on them. Some are better than others. I think there's one that's just bare wood planks and it's sketchy when damp. I've seen so many people slide out when they're wet and slimy. They basically turn into ice.

Can confirm, tahuya owns.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I too was at Tahuya Sunday with buds. Tahuya is always so soggy but that's better than snow and deadfall. It's my first season running bar mitts it's so nice avoiding icey wet hands. $17 too https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-hand-mitts-p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I ride constantly and take lots of pics but share them IN THE DISCORD PEEPS https://discord.gg/xsstYxCh